$vboptions[bbtitle]

Squier Cabronita -My review...

Unkie Al
July 31st, 2013, 04:19 PM
I just took delivery of a Cabronita today, played it for a few hours, and these are my initial thoughts...

First of all; I love this guitar!
It looks fantastic, the finish is flawless, it is nice and light, the neck feels nice and is not too thin for my huge hands, but the main thing with this guitar is the sound! The sweet, sweet sound!!!
The beautiful jangle and clarity of the Fidelitrons is just perfect.
I tried it on two different amps; a Tweed US Blues Deluxe and a handwired Yerasov and the result were the same. They have a very Tele-like sound, but with much more fullness, without sounding "humbuckery".

Out of the box, the setup was OK, but the neck needed some adjustment and intonation was not perfect. No biggie.
BUT!!! The Fender-stamped bridge saddles are horrible. The string shift all over the place when you bend. I will replace the bridge with a sawn-off Tele bridge ASAP!

But my main recomendation is; Get one, -and you will be a very happy Cabronita owner...

THE GOOD:
The sound, -OH, the sweet sweet sound!
Finish is perfect.
Neck pocket is a tight as it gets.
Pot and switch seems sturdy and has a nice resistance to them.
Neck fits my hands nicely, and no sharp fret edges.
-and, of course, the price. These things are dirt cheap! :-)

THE BAD:
Plastic nut.
The neck could have been a bit darker in the tint, it is very light.

THE UGLY:
That horrible bridge!!!

Bulldog87
July 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
very cool! Thanks for sharing!

lupowitz
July 31st, 2013, 04:55 PM
Congrats and enjoy your new guitar!

tedro
July 31st, 2013, 04:57 PM
i probably need one of those!

orangeblossom
July 31st, 2013, 05:16 PM
Congrats. I probably want one of those.

soulman969
July 31st, 2013, 05:23 PM
A Squier Cabronita? When did that happen?

Unkie Al
July 31st, 2013, 05:25 PM

Very recently!
I found out sunday night, and ordered one right away...

soulman969
July 31st, 2013, 05:36 PM
Very recently!
I found out sunday night, and ordered one right away...

The reason I ask is that I don't find it on the Fender USA site so I'm wondering if it's an MJT model or something only being marketed elsewhere. If I can ask, what dealer sold it to you?

Unkie Al
July 31st, 2013, 06:52 PM
The reason I ask is that I don't find it on the Fender USA site so I'm wondering if it's an MJT model or something only being marketed elsewhere. If I can ask, what dealer sold it to you?

I bought it at thomann.de in germany.

soulman969
July 31st, 2013, 06:59 PM
I bought it at thomann.de in germany.

Thanks Unkie. I guess for now Fender is not distributing them here so we can only hope that changes. I love having Teles with different pickup configurations so a Cabronita at that price point interests me. Maybe by the time I'm a buyer they'll have gotten around to making them available here.

Thanks for the "players review". They're always helpful.

CAAD8N8
July 31st, 2013, 10:53 PM

My thoughts exactly!

AngelStrummer
August 1st, 2013, 03:53 AM
Darn you Unkie Al! Darn you Squier!

Must. Resist. GAS. Attack.

Tuxedo Poly
August 1st, 2013, 04:45 AM
This is an interesting version

mindlobster
August 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
AGH...not more Cabronita-type temptation...curse you, Fender! Or Squier, in this case.

Gash
August 1st, 2013, 02:58 PM
Good review. I just got the Bigsby version this week. Fidelitron is a great pick up. Lovely guitar all round ;-)

organic
August 2nd, 2013, 08:21 AM
How's the neck, fat or thin?

I love the thinnie on my CV50, and being heavily into Gretsches, a Cab would probably be in many ways my ideal guitar but I've heard the Fender Cabs have fat necks.

Hammerhead
August 3rd, 2013, 04:50 AM
I own a Mexican one and tried out the Squire to compare.

The Squire is a fantastic instrument.

Pickups sound great.

Fit and finish is flawless, which can't be said of the Mexican, which has sharp fret ends.

Only real difference is the neck which is thinner on the Squire, but not too thin.

If I didn't already have the Mexican I would buy the Squire.

Gash
August 3rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
Don't know if everyone's seen this, but Fender just put videos on YouTube for these guitars:

http://youtu.be/ZRq0vHapNE0

fendrguitplayr
August 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Nice review - thanks!

pcampbell
August 3rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
These have just now started popping up for sale in the states. They're now on musicians friend and GC, stating orders expected to ship later this month. I am hoping we'll start seeing them in stores shortly. Really want to try one of these out.

yz250f49
August 3rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Anybody know if these are MIC or MII, etc... Also, what is the body made of?

No info on the above on the MF site.

Gash
August 3rd, 2013, 07:51 PM
Anybody know if these are MIC or MII, etc... Also, what is the body made of?

No info on the above on the MF site.

'Made in Indonesia' on back of the headstock. Basswood body I believe.

bluescube
August 5th, 2013, 07:50 AM
If Indonesia, most likely made by Cor-tek who also makes the superb G&L Tributes

Dan R
August 5th, 2013, 08:47 AM
That's a very cool guitar. Thanks for the run down. I have not played a Cabronita yet. I don't suppose you miss having a tone control?

Gash
August 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM
That's a very cool guitar. Thanks for the run down. I have not played a Cabronita yet. I don't suppose you miss having a tone control?

I know this is not my thread but seeing as I have one I'll reply ;) I like not having a tone control for a change to be honest. Less messing about looking for the right tone and more playing!

CAAD8N8
August 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM
All models of the squier cabronita are currently out of stock on amazon. Shocking!

Fearnot
August 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Well, that was quick. Damn!

rokdog49
August 6th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I own a Mexican one and tried out the Squire to compare.

The Squire is a fantastic instrument.

Pickups sound great.

Fit and finish is flawless, which can't be said of the Mexican, which has sharp fret ends.

Only real difference is the neck which is thinner on the Squire, but not too thin.

If I didn't already have the Mexican I would buy the Squire.

I played a MiM this week and I thought the fit and finish were quite good. It had an Alder body with the white transparent stain and was pretty nice looking and played well. I would love to do a side by side with the Squier. The neck on the MiM was not thin and the guitar itself was fairly heavy. The resonance and sustain was there in spades when I strummed a chord unplugged. My buddy, the sales guy, (small independent music store) said he was sure it was a very good piece of wood on this particular guitar. He also said he was also pretty sure the nut was some kind of plastic. It was listed at $699, but he said he could do better.
One thing is for certain, this is a very cool sounding guitar. I like those Pups.

jlindseyjr
August 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I hope they come out with other than black soon.

orangeblossom
August 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM
These are slow coming to Canada. I would like something other than black as well.

soulman969
August 12th, 2013, 07:48 PM
My concern with the Bigsby version as was covered in another thread about these is the balance, or lack thereof, between the neck and bridge pickups. I'm a little surprised they didn't just put a Filtertron in both positions or at the very least consider putting in a blend control in lieu of the tone pot.

Gash
August 13th, 2013, 05:22 AM
My concern with the Bigsby version as was covered in another thread about these is the balance, or lack thereof, between the neck and bridge pickups. I'm a little surprised they didn't just put a Filtertron in both positions or at the very least consider putting in a blend control in lieu of the tone pot.

Yeah, that's my only gripe with mine. Bridge pickup is weedy in comparison to the neck. I was tempted to switch it for something else, but I'm just gonna stick with it how it is........for now ;)

JoeXarima
September 23rd, 2013, 06:02 PM
soulman969 - It's made in Indonesia. I got mine at Guitar Center. I think all the big online shops have them now.

organic - the neck is a modern C shape - a little thinner than a traditional telecaster shape but not thin like an Ibanez wizard or ESP thin U.

One other thought - with the volume control on mine, basically all the control was from 10 to 5 (estimated, there are no numbers). 5 is basically all the way off. From 5 to 0 was silent. I don't know if they're all that way or if mine is just a fluke.

vintage clubber
September 27th, 2013, 08:39 PM
saw one at the local GC today - very nice for $299! I didn't get to play it as they are re-modeling this store and no amps were plugged in and the place is just a mess right now. they better step up their game or the Sam Ash next door is going to keep taking more business away from them.

Boysetsfire334
October 29th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Did you end up swapping the bridge on this? I just picked one up and that's my only complaint as well.

I saw this, http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/?p=1321, however I would prefer a direct replacement. It appears the saddle position is moved in order for the string body holes to line-up with.

cabron
October 29th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I saw this, http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/?p=1321, however I would prefer a direct replacement. It appears the saddle position is moved in order for the string body holes to line-up with.

The Gotoh GTC 101 bridge is a direct replacement. It fits as if it was made for this guitar.

See http://www.tdpri.com/forum/squier-tele-forum/434351-squier-cabronita-tele-bridge-swap.html#post5369334

It's all chrome, so it does blend in nicely with the rest of the guitar.

hopper
October 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Couldn't you just swap the saddles out rather than change the entire bridge?

Glen Smith
October 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Couldn't you just swap the saddles out rather than change the entire bridge?

If the string spacing is the same, I don't see why you couldn't just change the saddles.

savofenno
October 29th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Sorry, wrong thread:oops:

Boysetsfire334
October 30th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Awesome, thanks for the response! I will certainly be picking up one of those bridges.

For the price point your cannot beat the VM series. Just a few upgrades (based on my personnel preference) away from being a really good guitar.

telegraphic
November 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I can not say enough about changing the bridge to the Gotoh GTC101. It made a pretty good guitar for the money into a great guitar at any price.

BRASMAN
November 15th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I love mine after I had KSM Music in Logan set it up and concur that the bridge is the weak point. However nothing else on the guitar needs changed on mine especially the pickups they kick ass.

Edwin
November 15th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Just got a Squier Cab bass and the pole pieces don't really line up with the strings but the bridge lines up well with the neck. I love it and it's a lot of fun to play.