$vboptions[bbtitle]

Squier VM Cabronita Teles???

Steve Perry
July 7th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Has anybody here heard anything about Squier Vintage Modified Cabronita Teles coming out soon? I saw this thread http://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71555 over on the Offset Guitar Forum but haven't seen anything about them here or any where else. Evidently they're already showing up on the European retail sites.
http://www.keymusic.com/gfx_productcode/XL/141110/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Cabronita-Telecaster-With-Bigsby-Black.jpghttp://www.keymusic.com/gfx_productcode/XL/141109/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Cabronita-Telecaster-Black.jpg

honeycreek
July 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Oh my...You are killing me with that first one. :shock:

Stratty
July 7th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Yes, I'm drooling over that first one, geez!

Fearnot
July 7th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Ohhhhhh yesssss. I've been waiting for these...

udoering
July 7th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I just found it listed in one german online-shop for € 316,- .

GhostofJohnToad
July 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I agree that 1st one is awesome! The bigsby alone makes it worth the price of admission!

El Reclusa
July 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I especially like the first one as well. It's really nice to see Fender/Squire offering some truly cool, affordable stuff lately.

Brian J.
July 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
i want both

Zillinois
July 7th, 2013, 12:38 PM
wow cool, Cabronitas must be finally catching on!

emisilly
July 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Yowza! That first one is way too cool for school!

A.B.Negative
July 7th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I shouldn't have looked, now I want one!

66Satellite
July 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Ditto

Stratty
July 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Ditto

Same here!

brookdalebill
July 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I'm going to check em' out ASAP.
Both of em'!

Bulldog87
July 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Wow that is awesome! I hope they come out with one just like the second but with one pickup and Esquire-esque switching!

NastyMojo
July 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
So US dollars ..around $400-$450? :D Wonder what other colors they will produce them in?

pcampbell
July 7th, 2013, 04:32 PM
So US dollars ..around $400-$450? :D Wonder what other colors they will produce them in?

If I get a vote, I vote sunburst, either two-tone or three-tone.

rhythmjones
July 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Squier is going to make me homeless!

Phelonious Ponk
July 7th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I just rolled my own. G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe, GFS Memphis Retrotron pickups. Played a gig with it last night. It was a wonder.

superbadj
July 7th, 2013, 07:16 PM
i'm actually surprised they're making those. They're only making the MIM versions now, and I gotta think these will cut into those sales. For traditional teles, the market is so much larger that it makes sense to hit multiple price points, including squier prices.

But I gotta think the cabronita market is substantially smaller, and since it's just the standard MIM and now these squiers competing.....I think a lot of people might go for the squiers. ESPECIALLY if they come with the same pickups (they still call them a fidelitron).

While i'm tempted by these...I think I'd rather just build my own or have someone like MJT make it. I've had better luck quality-wise going that type of route.

Bulldog87
July 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=superbadj;5143656]i'm actually surprised they're making those. They're only making the MIM versions now, and I gotta think these will cut into those sales. /QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing! Everyone is speculating around $400 for one of the Squiers, but I paid somewhere in that neighborhood for my MIM Cabronita!

I'd hope they'd be a little less and have a few different options. Again, I'd be excited to see a single pickup Cab! (Might be one way to cut back on costs too lol)

NastyMojo
July 7th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I am super excited. I would say they will make a one pickup version too! I mean they came up with the idea to bring this model to Squier. :D

Phelonious Ponk
July 7th, 2013, 09:51 PM
i'm actually surprised they're making those. They're only making the MIM versions now, and I gotta think these will cut into those sales. For traditional teles, the market is so much larger that it makes sense to hit multiple price points, including squier prices.

But I gotta think the cabronita market is substantially smaller, and since it's just the standard MIM and now these squiers competing.....I think a lot of people might go for the squiers. ESPECIALLY if they come with the same pickups (they still call them a fidelitron).

While i'm tempted by these...I think I'd rather just build my own or have someone like MJT make it. I've had better luck quality-wise going that type of route.

You would think that a lot of companies are cutting into their own product lines, given the quality of the Asian product on the market. That Tribute ASAT pictured above? I've owned a few G&Ls, and the difference between that one and an American one is completely insignificant from a player's perspective. It's not in the hardware, electronics or fit and finish. It's in the (visual) quality of the woods (not as much flame in the maple) and the fret finishing. And none of that's bad, by any means. The top is flamed, it's just not a 9 or 10. The frets are plenty level enough for anyone who doesn't want super-low action, and the ends are trimmed flush and beveled; they just haven't been rounded at the ends and polished (USA G&L frets are PLEK'd). So from a player's perspective, the difference between a $500 Tribute and a $1500 USA model is 30 minutes to an hour with a file and polish.

Maybe these manufacturers are just doing what they have to do, or at least doing something that works. Maybe Fender sold enough Custom Shop Cabronitas to meet their goals, then enough MIM Cabs, and now they're going after the market that will add a Cab to the stable if they can do it for $500. G&L? Their Tribute ASAT Deluxe, to continue that story, comes in trans red or trans black, period. If you go to the big online G&L dealers, they're only showing custom USA models. Korinas. Custom Creations. Guitars with PRS-level tops.

I think these companies are probably just selling minor variations of basic product designs across different markets, and using Asian manufacturing to keep the margins low enough to make it work. Are they cutting into their own business? Probably a little, but not much I don't think. I wanted to create a Cabronita Deluxe from an ASAT. I love the results. But I wouldn't have done it at all if my only choice was to start with a $1500 guitar.

P

keeffan
July 7th, 2013, 11:28 PM
You would think that a lot of companies are cutting into their own product lines, given the quality of the Asian product on the market. That Tribute ASAT pictured above? I've owned a few G&Ls, and the difference between that one and an American one is completely insignificant from a player's perspective. It's not in the hardware, electronics or fit and finish. It's in the (visual) quality of the woods (not as much flame in the maple) and the fret finishing. And none of that's bad, by any means. The top is flamed, it's just not a 9 or 10. The frets are plenty level enough for anyone who doesn't want super-low action, and the ends are trimmed flush and beveled; they just haven't been rounded at the ends and polished (USA G&L frets are PLEK'd). So from a player's perspective, the difference between a $500 Tribute and a $1500 USA model is 30 minutes to an hour with a file and polish.

Maybe these manufacturers are just doing what they have to do, or at least doing something that works. Maybe Fender sold enough Custom Shop Cabronitas to meet their goals, then enough MIM Cabs, and now they're going after the market that will add a Cab to the stable if they can do it for $500. G&L? Their Tribute ASAT Deluxe, to continue that story, comes in trans red or trans black, period. If you go to the big online G&L dealers, they're only showing custom USA models. Korinas. Custom Creations. Guitars with PRS-level tops.

I think these companies are probably just selling minor variations of basic product designs across different markets, and using Asian manufacturing to keep the margins low enough to make it work. Are they cutting into their own business? Probably a little, but not much I don't think. I wanted to create a Cabronita Deluxe from an ASAT. I love the results. But I wouldn't have done it at all if my only choice was to start with a $1500 guitar.

P

I just don't understand this. With a little looking around used MIMs can be had for a great price. I got a great deal on one from a fellow forumite. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of the new Squiers, they are great axes, but if I had it to do over, I'd still buy a used MIM for $450 over a new squier...if nothing else for resale value. Can't help but wonder if Fender is planning another price hike in the near future

Phelonious Ponk
July 7th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I just don't understand this. With a little looking around used MIMs can be had for a great price. I got a great deal on one from a fellow forumite. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of the new Squiers, they are great axes, but if I had it to do over, I'd still buy a used MIM for $450 over a new squier...if nothing else for resale value. Can't help but wonder if Fender is planning another price hike in the near future

Don't get me wrong. I understand the marketing, but I wouldn't personally buy one. I didn't. I bought an as-new G&L ASAT Deluxe with hard foam gig bag for $400 and put a pair of pre-owned, but never-installed Memphis Retrotrons in it for $30, and for me and my purposes, it's better than any Fender Cab of any variety. But there are a whole lot of folks out there who want a "Fender" product, and don't want to shop around or install anything.

P

deadbeat son
July 8th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I'm expecting $349 (non-Bigsby) and $399 (with Bigsby) USD street price based off of the European pricing of these new models vs other Squier models from the same vendors.

gsh1968
July 8th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Polepieces and strings line up on this one.

So body wood - agathis or basswood?

Lunchie
July 8th, 2013, 06:34 AM
I will own both...

With that said, Fender if you are reading this, make sure they are in production for a while because I am broke :lol:

mimmo
July 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
WANT.

udoering
July 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM
So body wood - agathis or basswood?

Basswood, according to the specifications published on the german retailerīs site who offers it.

blowtorch
July 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I hope there's eventually a bridge-pickup only squier cab.

udoering
July 8th, 2013, 01:15 PM
O.k., just ordered one (black with bigsby).

blowtorch
July 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
cool! make sure and report back!

Stratty
July 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM
O.k., just ordered one (black with bigsby).

Where did you order it from?

pondcaster
July 8th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Meh.

udoering
July 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
German online-shop, www.musicworldbrilon.de. They claim to have them in stock. But they are the only shop in Germany who are offering them, according to Google.

udoering
July 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hope they donīt tell me it was an error :-)

Clifton C
July 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I just rolled my own. G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe, GFS Memphis Retrotron pickups. Played a gig with it last night. It was a wonder.

Very sweet! I like the carved top!

Phelonious Ponk
July 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Very sweet! I like the carved top!

Thanks. It sounds great, plays great. I continue to be amazed at the quality of the stuff coming out of the Pacific rim these days.

P

simonsp
July 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks. It sounds great, plays great. I continue to be amazed at the quality of the stuff coming out of the Pacific rim these days.

You're right, it's quite incredible, esp. compared back 40 yrs when I was starting out.

I recently got a Les Paul Jnr, made by Westfield (whoever they are!). Set neck, single P90, intonation spot on on arrival. Adjusted the truss rod, new tuners and it's good to go. Amazing. I love this guitar (my 1st with P90's which may explain it a bit :wink:) but in any case, for 135.00 ukp it's a steal. I think that cnc must have a lot to do with it, plus a jnr is about a simple a design as is possible to make. Don't get me wrong, it's not a gibson, edge finish on neck is a bit meh f'r instance. But for the admittance fee I can live with that.

Phelonious Ponk
July 8th, 2013, 07:44 PM
You're right, it's quite incredible, esp. compared back 40 yrs when I was starting out.

I recently got a Les Paul Jnr, made by Westfield (whoever they are!). Set neck, single P90, intonation spot on on arrival. Adjusted the truss rod, new tuners and it's good to go. Amazing. I love this guitar (my 1st with P90's which may explain it a bit :wink:) but in any case, for 135.00 ukp it's a steal. I think that cnc must have a lot to do with it, plus a jnr is about a simple a design as is possible to make. Don't get me wrong, it's not a gibson, edge finish on neck is a bit meh f'r instance. But for the admittance fee I can live with that.

See? This is what I like about TDP. Got plenty of guys here damn near as old as me ;). I've been through three modern guitars designed and spec'd by American companies and built somewhere in Asia. Still have two. They were all damn good guitars; in some ways better than the early Fenders I've owned. The G&L Tribute is the best of the batch by a wide margin, though. The one thing I know of that comes close is a PRS SE. But I've got a really good reason to choose the G&L My #1 is an American G&L and this Tribute has the same scale, frets, radius and neck profile. Feels like home. Sounds completely different. How cool is that?

P

vintage clubber
July 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM
wow! makes me wonder why I didn't wait when I built my own Cabronita a couple of years ago...

blowtorch
July 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
That Squier Bass VI is pretty tempting too...

Big tuna
July 14th, 2013, 08:57 PM
i like the dark fretboard on the g&l i just put gfs liverpool i my cab clone,for the money cant beat em.i havent seen any fender cabronita's with rosewood fretboards,wonder if they offer them?189252

Downshift
July 14th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I've been out of the guitar buying market for a couple years now, and I've got to say, I'm very impressed with the guitars Squire is making right now. These two look absolutely awesome.

El Reclusa
July 14th, 2013, 11:37 PM
That Squier Bass VI is pretty tempting too...

Wait...what?!? WANT.

Jeff R
July 15th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Colours on some of the VMs are interesting....surf green, sonic blue, dakota red...
Would be some purty guitars, I reckon.

Steamroller
July 15th, 2013, 04:52 AM
I just found it listed in one german online-shop for € 316,- .
I'm from Spain and my local store has the bigsby model with the same price. The guitars expert of the store offered me to try this guitar and, after a while, he went to ask to the store owner if the price was wrong.

This guitar is awesome, but I think would be better with only a bridge pickup and without bigsby.

daznic
July 15th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I'd love to try one, but does anyone know if they have the same super-skinny necks as the Classic Vibes ? - If so, that would put me off.

Phelonious Ponk
July 15th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm from Spain and my local store has the bigsby model with the same price. The guitars expert of the store offered me to try this guitar and, after a while, he went to ask to the store owner if the price was wrong.

This guitar is awesome, but I think would be better with only a bridge pickup and without bigsby.

I get the Bigsby part. Heavy, fussy when changing strings. Looks cool though. But why would it be better with just one pickup? All you gotta do is throw the switch and it has just one pickup. Or the other. Or both.

P

Gash
July 29th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I just took delivery of one of these today - with Bigsby. Really happy with it. If I could request one change it would be to swap the single coil for a fidelitron, because the single coil in the bridge is pretty weak. Apart from that its a fantastic guitar!

built4speed
July 29th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Any confirmation yet that these will ever appear in North America? So far they only seem to be found in Europe. I'd be all over the non-Bigsby model if they show up on this side of the pond.

A.B.Negative
July 31st, 2013, 05:18 PM

I've just ordered a Bigsby model, should be here in a couple of days! :grin:

From what I've read, the bridge pickup may be under-powered compared to the neck pickup but I'm happy to replace it if necessary.

soulman969
July 31st, 2013, 05:41 PM
Just saw another thread on these but zilch on the Fender USA site. So the bastards are keeping them from us so as not to hurt their MIM sales huh? I say we invade their corporate offices and force them to release them here.:twisted:

chris m.
July 31st, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'm with Daznic-- every one of the new Squiers I have tried has too skinny a neck profile for my taste, unfortunately-- Teles and Strats. Otherwise I'd be on them in a red hot minute.

JCW1024
August 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM
These are showing on the Fender USA site now.

Bigsby (http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster-with-bigsby-maple-fingerboard-black/)

Hardtail (http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-black/)

pcampbell
August 1st, 2013, 06:22 PM

Bigsby (http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster-with-bigsby-maple-fingerboard-black/)

Hardtail (http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-black/)

Only a matter of time (I hope) before they start showing up in stores and online sites on this side of the pond. Forget about Tums and Rolaids and gas-x. The gas is going to be too strong for several of us on this one.

soulman969
August 1st, 2013, 06:25 PM

Must have been targeted for an August 1st release date because when I checked yesterday they weren't showing it. But this is good news so thanks for bird dogging it and posting the links.