$vboptions[bbtitle]

Help With Pickup Springs

southdtele
July 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Hi All:
Would really appreciate your help so I can finish my Alston TC1 tele kit. Can anyone point me to a good reference or explain the purpose of the springs and how they should go when installing the pickups? I know this is probably pretty basic, but would like to do it right and the Alston directions are terrible. Thanks so much!

StuR
July 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM
On the bridge pickup you put them on the screws before you put the pickup into the bridge (between the underneath of the bridge and the screw-head), then screw the bridge to the body. You can then adjust pickup height after you've put the strings on.
The neck pickup depends on your scratchplate; if your neck pickup is fixed to the scratchplate (are there 2 holes next to the pickup hole on the scratchplate?) then they go between the pickup & the scratchplate on the screws.
If there's no holes in your scratchplate then they go between the base of the neck pickup and the body of the guitar - OR (important) if the pickup is the right height sat in the bottom of the cavity then you don't use the screws at all & you start to look at ways of fixing it to the base of the cavity.

jefrs
July 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I know this sounds obvious to most folks. The springs go on the screw between pickup and the thing it hangs from, pickguard or bridge base. The screws pull the pickup up, the springs push it down. If the springs are conical, it doesn't matter much but I put them on wide end against the pickguard in the assumption that this stops the pickup rocking as much.

FWIW the screws are long thin round head Phillips (two Ls) wood screws, No.3 if memory serves but longer than normal for this size, probably 35mm but you can cut them with stout pliers if they're too long.

If the neck pickup is body mount then you can use springs or foam rubber (pickup packaging), but you must make sure that the screws do not go through the back of the guitar body, easily done.

Humbuckers usually have a small thin machine screw (nut&bolt), and feet that will want that humbucker rout deepened north and south with a pair of recesses to accommodate them.

southdtele
July 8th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Awesome... Thanks so much to the both of you.