$vboptions[bbtitle]

Acoustic Simulator

Flaco
November 3rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Is there any kind of acoustic simulator out there that works decent? I'm looking for something I can plug my Tele into and have it sound similar to a piezo equipped acoustic when going through the PA at my church. I know Boss makes a pedal like this but it doesn't seem like it has very good reviews.

Joel Terry
November 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
Is there any kind of acoustic simulator out there that works decent? I'm looking for something I can plug my Tele into and have it sound similar to a piezo equipped acoustic when going through the PA at my church. I know Boss makes a pedal like this but it doesn't seem like it has very good reviews.

You should try out the BOSS AC-2, Flaco. I think most people who give it bad reviews think it's supposed to make an electric guitar sound just like a Martin D-28 or a Gibson J-200 or the like--which it won't, of course. But I think it achieves the piezo-acoustic sound quite well. I think it could be what you're looking for. My only complaint about the AC-2 is that it can be a bit hissy, a bit noisy.

Joel

telel6s
November 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
I had an AC-2 for a couple of years. It was a fun toy, but didn't really sound like an acoustic when I had it going through a Super Reverb. I sold when I bought a good acoustic guitar.

If you plan on going into a PA, it might work for you, however. As I recall, the noise came in because I had to set the level pretty high to match up with the bypassed mode. But if you've go the bypass going to an amp and the effect going to the PA, you could keep the pedal level lower and use the PA to get the final volume where you want it.

For only three knobs, it was pretty easy to EQ to my liking (Body, Top and Type). While Body and Top are basically Bass & Treble, they seemed to do a bit more than just that. For Type you get (if I recall correctly) Standard, Jumbo, Piezo and Enhanced. Noticeable differences between the four....just chose the one you like for the guitar you're using.

The one thing I had wished that pedal had was to be able to send both the effect and unaffected signal. Unfortunately, if you are running to both an amp (electric) and PA (acoustic) the sound either goes to one or the other.

teledude66
November 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
same here with the level not enough push in it, otherwise it would get you by for an acoustic effect...on a side note i had in front of a fuzz pedal and had both on, it gave a really authentic "Beatles Revolution sound"

Flaco
November 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Cool, I didn't realize it switched between 2 separate outputs. That may make it just the ticket.

Thanks for the feedback!

fakeocaster
November 3rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
I have a Boss AC2 and could never get a useable sound out of it.How do you set it?