$vboptions[bbtitle]

Best Humbucker to Run Straight to Output Jack

Chrismo
March 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Posted this on the Duncan forum, but since this is a special Tele, I figured I'd post this here as well just to see what sort of suggestions I'd get.

I have in my possession a Squier FSR HS Tele (the cherry/pink colored one from a few years ago).

My goal is to make this my "rock" Tele and have only a single humbucker. I plan on blocking off the control plate/controls, but wanted to know the best humbucker to run without a volume/tone pot in the circuit. This will be my classic rock and pop-punk Tele, so I originally thought of a Super Distortion or Invader. I'm hoping that if it's beefy enough, it won't be ice-picky at all while in this configuration.

What are your thoughts? I'm getting all of my dirt from stomp boxes into a Fender Blues Junior III and Ibanez Tube Screamer Head.

Telenator
March 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I really love the sound of the Duncan Custom V. It nails those 70's tones like nobody's business!

Chrismo
March 18th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I really love the sound of the Duncan Custom V. It nails those 70's tones like nobody's business!

Had one a few years ago, but it was in a traditional 500K setup. Think it would be too edgy in this configuration?

Telenator
March 19th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Hard to say. I have one in my mahogany L6-S build and it sounds awesome. Great traditional 70's tone. Very retro sounding to my ears.

I put a plain chrome cover over it and it sounds terrific!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac345/Telenator/L6-S%20Project/a93b120d-fb5f-4c3d-a173-e606f14d7cc0_zpsb99a789b.jpg

lineboat
March 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I just put a DiMarzio DP100 in my Jag. I tried it direct first. Wow.... What a screamer... Too much for me. It's now wired into the switch with a coil split...
I recommend some controls on a Super Distortion....

Daddy Hojo
March 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I'd at least put a kill switch on it if you needed to silence it quickly without having to unplug it.

Branden
March 29th, 2013, 12:19 PM
+1 on the killswitch! I love that setup.

Hoodster
March 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I had the relatively new SH16 59/Custom Hybrid in a "Esquire" Stratocaster setup with just a single volume control (no tone) and it sounded fantastic. Highly versatile pickup as well.

Edited to add that the wired assembly is currently for sale in the classifieds.