$vboptions[bbtitle]

Gretsch Filtertrons

elmicko
February 27th, 2013, 08:29 PM
I just got a Gretsch Filtertron to replace the GFS Powertron I had in the neck position of my MIM standard. I've ne'er tweaked with this kind of pickup much before. Can somebody give me a clue how to get the most out of the adjustable pole pieces?

ac15
February 27th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Not sure, but if you go to the TV Jones website I think he has info on the recommended adjustment specs.

I really like the stock Gretsch Filtertrons, as much or more than TV Classics. I've got the stock pups in my Country Club and don't plan to change them.

Glen Smith
February 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Not exactly Filtertron info but TV Jones info.

elmicko
February 27th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Not exactly Filtertron info but TV Jones info.

Thanks...exactly what I was looking for! TV doesn't recommend that you adjust the pole pieces. Hmmmmmm...anybody else have an opinion.

Wayne Alexander
February 28th, 2013, 12:26 AM
If the tone is darker/muddier than you want, lower the body of the pickup and raise the polepieces. If the tone is brighter/clearer than you want, raise the body of the pickup and lower the polepieces. Raise and lower individual polepieces to adjust the relative volume of individual strings. (this applies to any pickup with adjustable polepieces, not just Filtertrons).

elmicko
February 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM
If the tone is darker/muddier than you want, lower the body of the pickup and raise the polepieces. If the tone is brighter/clearer than you want, raise the body of the pickup and lower the polepieces. Raise and lower individual polepieces to adjust the relative volume of individual strings. (this applies to any pickup with adjustable polepieces, not just Filtertrons).

Thank you. Great explanation. Now the next thing to consider are the pots, would the Filtertron be happier with a 500k volume pot? The bridge is already plenty bright, so if I change to a 500k for the Filtertron I may just go with two volumes and no tone.

castpolymer
February 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
The new Gretsch Blacktop pickups are much better than anything they have ever made for the Electromatic line. Just a pleasure to the ear.

bo
February 28th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I found adjusting to the curve of the strings with the individual pole pieces worked best. The ones I had were stock in a 1960 Dbl Anni and were a bit on the weak side. I had them cranked pretty high.

elmicko
February 28th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I found adjusting to the curve of the strings with the individual pole pieces worked best. The ones I had were stock in a 1960 Dbl Anni and were a bit on the weak side. I had them cranked pretty high.

This thing ain't weak at all!! In fact I'm going to have to tame it a bit. Using a really clean setting on my MIII, I can go from crystal clean on the bridge pickup to full overdriven crunch just by moving the selector to the Filtertron. Sounds great, but I do need to teach it a few manners.

Any idea what value volume pot would be best for it? It's a hair bit dark right now.

Wayne Alexander
February 28th, 2013, 09:36 PM
If it's dark, go to a higher value volume pot. The tone pot value matters too but a bit less. Most filtertron types would have 500K audio taper pots for tone and volume.