$vboptions[bbtitle]

I've never seen this before - Rickenbacker with a "comb"

RollTide
February 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Even though I don't know much about Ric's, I think I'd love to own one of these beauties.

Jp4hXRyyzhs

TeleTim911
February 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
That's pretty cool, I never knew that comb thing even existed, very intersting. That sounded pretty sweet too.

elsewhere
February 3rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
That's quite an ingenious thing there. Really ugly though :)

O- Fender
February 3rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
I first heard of them mentioned in an old guitar magazine in an interview with Roger McGuinn. I've seen a picture of one, a friend had a book on Ric.

This is the first video I've seen of one. Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure if I'd ever get one myself, I think I see a lot of potential problems. Too much fiddling and adjusting for my taste. Then again, I'm not sure I'd get a guitar with a Floyd Rose for the same reason.

tom2caster
February 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Here's my '68 456-12 convertible. The concept was to mute the drone strings to get a 6 string sound from your 12 string. The problem is the strings go out of tune (at least on mine) from the pull when you release them. I think they were available in the '67 to '69 era.

taxer
February 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
All guitar makers come up with some offbeat designs. Ric is no exception. They had "the comb" and this nutty thing called "The Lightshow." The guitar lit up in different colors according to what notes were played. Released during the psychedelic era.

http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/331ls/331lson.jpg

DrumBob
February 3rd, 2013, 12:33 PM
The Ric with comb was a flop, because, as someone mentioned, the depressed strings went out of tune when released. But, I think the main reason it tanked was because it looked so ridiculous.

Guitar players, like drummers, tend to be a conservative lot. The comb was just too weird.

I did like the demo video though. A perfect example of Rick jangle, and I liked the way the notes bloomed on that guitar. Really nice. Love those toasters. I played a new Rick 360-12 the other day, and it sounded shrill and tinny with the Hi Gains.

Paul in Colorado
February 3rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Paul Kantner had one with the early Jefferson Airplane. The comb disappeared pretty quickly. He still uses that guitar.

Don Miller
February 3rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
and the light show was apparently heavy..and got hot

thumbpick
February 3rd, 2013, 03:41 PM
i have never seen one!.....dam i thought maybe it was a b bender

umasstele
February 6th, 2013, 01:21 AM
So weird, but cool...I really wonder how it feels to play when the "comb" is engaged!