$vboptions[bbtitle]

Make Your Humbucker Guitar Sound Like A Telecaster In 2 Minutes

Fred.T
January 29th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Well, if this has been done before... you'll know what when you see the video :lol:

6g8qF9vC11s

You may fast forward to 7:15

Kevin_Lindsay
January 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
That's really cool!!!

EsquireOK
January 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM
God, that's annoying. 12 minutes of repetition and gum flapping for something that should take 1 minute to explain and demo.

PhatBoy
January 29th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I didn't see the 2nd video, but why the back half? Does it sound different if you use the front coil?

62 Jazzmaster
January 29th, 2013, 06:30 PM
A man of many guitars and talents, but brevity isn't among them. :wink:

chipbutty24
January 29th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Uh....

thumbpick
January 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM
hes entertaining...good tip

marsh99
January 29th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Interesting if a little too long to get to the point. A good experiment but I can't see me trying it, good sound though!

Pawnshopper
January 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM
hes entertaining...good tip
He seems like a fun guy. The entire video is explanatory, answering questions like can he play, what is he playing, what does the guitar sound like before, what's his angle (no angle), etc.

ClassA
January 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM
i thought that was a pretty clever mod, and pretty easy to do.. but then again I have a tele, or two..

fender4life
January 29th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Doesn't sound anything like a tele. It will sound like a single coil, and very convincingly too. I did this probably 20 years ago. It works, just not like a tele. Sounds like a gibson with a SC or a HB with a very good split sound.

TeleTown
January 29th, 2013, 10:23 PM
God, that's annoying. 12 minutes of repetition and gum flapping for something that should take 1 minute to explain and demo.

Be cool ! Scotts a very sick man. Hes only trying to be helpful; its his way. Thanks for posting.

ftgjr
January 29th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Or you could just get a Humbucker that you can split the coil with a toggle switch, so you can get both sounds.

My first guitar was a Kramer that had a split Humbucker in the bridge. That guitar could cover a lot of territory .

unccivil
January 29th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Or you could just get a Humbucker that you can split the coil with a toggle switch, so you can get both sounds.

My first guitar was a Kramer that had a split Humbucker in the bridge. That guitar could cover a lot of territory .

Yeah...I was thinking the same thing. I have two Studio LPs with split coil options and they do not sound anything like a tele. In fact, they don't even sound like single coils at all...just different from the HB sound.

Cool idea though, I'd never seen that before.

robt57
January 29th, 2013, 10:58 PM
By the way, did I mention that this may have been done before ???

If any of my Teles sounded like that I would El Kabong myself...

:mrgreen:

IPLAYLOUD
January 29th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I was subscribed to his YT vids until I disagreed with one of his points and ZAP, he deleted and blocked me.

Note: It's easy to say it sounds like a Tele when you play Tele licks! He did a Motown thing on Humbuckers, Chicken-picked after he removed the screws.
I think a few of those screws fell out of his head.

EsquireOK
January 29th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Be cool ! Scotts a very sick man. Hes only trying to be helpful; its his way. Thanks for posting.

I wasn't trying to be "uncool" to him. He seems like a nice guy. I was just poking fun at his repetition.

unccivil
January 29th, 2013, 11:12 PM
By the way, did I mention that this may have been done before ???

If any of my Teles sounded like that I would El Kabong myself...

:mrgreen:

Hah! Classic! "Of all the heroes in legend and song..."

http://youtu.be/YMOTBlMsxls

Most underrated toon of all time.

TeleTim911
January 29th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Although it was long-winded (even by his own admission) it was informative, and a great idea. Really did change the sound to my ears.

thumbpick
January 30th, 2013, 12:12 AM
cant you just see yourself in a bar with scott grove and phil x

teleforumnoob
January 30th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Didn't watch. Simple enough to flip your LP to the back pickup adjust you amp pick the crap out of it. No it ain't a Tele but nobody but guitar players are gonna know or care.

Frodebro
January 30th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I drilled the slugs out of my Tele bridge pickup, and now it sounds exactly like a Les Paul with the volume all the way down!

Tom Pettingill
January 30th, 2013, 12:19 PM
While the mod did seem to make things more twangy, keep in mind that the Dirty Fingers pickups in that guitar are not anywhere close to your standard humbucker. The Dirty Fingers pickup is a bright sounding high output double screw design that uses 3 ceramic magnets. For comparison, your average humbucker uses only one single warmer sounding Alnico magnet.

LeDocteur
January 30th, 2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/accessories/triple-shot-mou/triple_shot_swi/

I have these on my Les Paul. They make an audible difference but it isn't night and day by any stretch.

castpolymer
January 30th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Dan Dority: bartender, assasin, guitar tech and sacred keeper of the cinnamon!

x04V5R4uZOA

refin
January 30th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I thought that was a cool mod...

jbmando
January 30th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I did it to an Epi SG when I first saw it a while back. Sounds cool, but not like a Tele. I left it that way.

62 Jazzmaster
January 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM
[...]

Note: It's easy to say it sounds like a Tele when you play Tele licks! He did a Motown thing on Humbuckers, Chicken-picked after he removed the screws.
[...]
That is a very good point! It would be interesting to hear him play the same licks with the same attack on both his modded and stock humbuckers.

harold h
January 30th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I think Scott gave out free lessons to many on here (me included).

The lessons were very good, but my computer crapped out shortly
after getting the lesson and I lost it.

Still, very much appreciated.

fender4life
January 30th, 2013, 02:53 PM

Actually, split can sound great and plenty good enough depending on the pickup. But the guy is right....it does sound a lot m,ore like a true SC by removing the magnets. The reason is this....in most hummers the magnet is a bar which bother coils slugs are activated thru. When you split the coil you are still getting sound thru the other coil's magnets. It's weak, but it keeps it from sounding truly like a SC. removing the mags from one coil give true sc sound. granted, like a SC with a bar magnet, but a true sc sound none the less. Splitting is great but more of a approximation. I find it very useful tho, and some HB's DO split much closer than others. But removing magnets will make any HB sound like a real SC all the way. But i'd rather split and get a HB tone and a decent SC like tone. But either way you do it, a high output HB is best because a paf for example will leave you with a 4k coil which is too weak in most cases.

phoenixash
January 30th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Genius eying up my HB Gats look out here I come.

telefunken
January 31st, 2013, 01:31 AM
That was pon·der·ous :mrgreen:

bblumentritt
January 31st, 2013, 03:53 PM
w/e. He's playing Tele licks, and it sounds nice and all, but it still doesn't sound like a Tele.

I play a Tele. One day I took my PRS to band practice. Afterwards, they told me that they "thought you would have sounded a lot different."

castpolymer
January 31st, 2013, 04:09 PM
I have a '72 Tele Deluxe RI with the newer WRHB. I had removed them and used some Gibson 490/498 pickups in it. I decided to give this gent's idea a whirl, so I removed the Gibsons and put the WRHB's back in minus pole pieces in the appropriate spots ( using the original Fender spec 250k pots and .022 caps ). I will hook it up tonight and hopefully have some feedback tomorrow. Please don't ask for audio clips as I have no idea how to record and post that type of stuff.

KokoTele
January 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Oh my god I can't take any more of his video!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy takes 12 minutes to explain something wrong many times over.

On a standard humbucker, those pole pieces are not the magnets like they are on a Tele pickup. (Oh his particular pickup, I'm not sure.) The magnet is a bar underneath, and those pole pieces help focus the field where it's needed most, up near the strings.

When removing those pole pieces, you are weakening the magnetic field where the strings are vibrating, therefor inducing less current in BOTH of the coils. They're in series, the current is the same in each coil. The coil with the missing pole pieces has a slightly weaker field than the other coil.

That coil is not "turned off," which is why you can't just use a switch to get the same results.

The guy is also cheating with his demo model, because those are relatively bright, relatively un-girthy humbuckers to begin with. Listen to those riffs he plays to show the difference. That guitar already sounded kind of Fendery.

This little mod does work to remove some girth from humbuckers, though. There's a little less output and a little less mids and lows. It's a cool thing to try, it's just not what he says it is :-)

74 Deluxe
January 31st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Had some Humbucker bits in my junkbox... cobbled together an X2N coil with and old Dist+ coil with the slugs pulled out. I like it. Loud and punchy in the neck position on my 61 Epi Olympic husk I steampunked... put a booster in it too, accessed by pulling the tone knob up...
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/CarlGuitarl/SG3.jpg
hung it up at my friends guitarshop for a lark...

backporch guy
January 31st, 2013, 07:50 PM
I can do it to mine in about half a second. I just pull up on the tone knob, and I've got a Tele. Fender Special Edition FMT with 2 Seymour Duncans and a coil splitter.:mrgreen:

Blazer
January 31st, 2013, 08:02 PM
I once posted a thread about this guy modifying a Cort Gene Simmons Axe guitar so it had a strat set up.

I posted that thread as a showcase on how NOT to do it.

He placed the guitar on his lap and then started working with power tools, he was a hazard to himself and result looked really sloppy.

But I decided to pull that thread since people would probably perceive me as being a wise guy. I have 15 years of experience, I KNOW how to perform such mods and not make a mess off it or risk injuring myself the way that guy was doing.

Count
January 31st, 2013, 08:05 PM
Sounds just like a humbucker with some of the poles removed, in other words sounds just like a faulty humbucker. Simpler to replace the PU with a single coil or, as if anyone needs the excuse, buy another guitar.

rangercaster
January 31st, 2013, 08:07 PM
When removing those pole pieces, you are weakening the magnetic field where the strings are vibrating, therefor inducing less current in BOTH of the coils. They're in series, the current is the same in each coil. The coil with the missing pole pieces has a slightly weaker field than the other coil.

That coil is not "turned off," which is why you can't just use a switch to get the same results.so ... removing the screws creates a dummy coil that cancels the noise from the other (now) single coil ???

OlRedNeckHippy
January 31st, 2013, 08:10 PM
...........or, as if anyone needs the excuse, buy another guitar.
Uh...., Forest. I'd just put down the Paul and pick up the Tele. That's what I'd do.

MahoganyMan11
January 31st, 2013, 08:12 PM
You could prolly do the same thing with the neck pickup and get a more stratty tone as well.