$vboptions[bbtitle]

Dr Z's "stock" speakers...what are they and opinio

JohnK24
June 23rd, 2003, 08:40 AM
I'm considering a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia combo (still don't know if I'm a 1x12 or 2x10 "guy"..thoughts on these opinions welcome too !)

What is the current Dr Z "house" speaker ? When did he use Weber's, were they "tweaked" by Zaite ?

Thanks,

JK

MJ Harnish
June 23rd, 2003, 09:53 AM
You might try emailing Mike and asking him; I've found him incredibly responsive to questions. Stu at Fat Sound Guitars is also very helpful and willing to answer quesitons; I've bought 2 Dr. Z's from him and was very satisfied with his customer service.

AFAIK, Dr. Z used WeberVST speakers made to his specifications (the P12Z as I recall) but switched over to mainly Celestions a few years ago. I don't think he does any tweaking of speakers otherwise.

Paul G.
June 23rd, 2003, 10:21 AM
10"--his own design, probably made by Weber.
12"--Celestions

But, I also recommend emailing Mike-you will get a response.

If you are buying from a dealer, why not just ask him "That CG combo you've got, what speaker is in the box?"

Either way, you'll know for sure what's on your amp.

P.

Mike Better
June 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
I know that he switched to ceramics some time ago. From what I've heard, the 10" is quite good, if a little beamy.

Mike

JohnK24
June 23rd, 2003, 01:11 PM
I know that he switched to ceramics some time ago. From what I've heard, the 10" is quite good, if a little beamy.

Mike

Ok, "Beamy" is a new term to me, thought I knew all the guitar gear lingo ! :D

Mike, can you define it ? Do the 10's have a good bottom end ?

Mike Better
June 23rd, 2003, 01:17 PM
I use "beamy" to mean that the sound from the speakers is projected in a narrow beam.. this is probably mostly due to his cabinet construction, he uses some kind of "lens" technology to do this.. Basically the result is that the 10" speaker sounds much bigger, but in a smaller area.

Mike

Mik
June 23rd, 2003, 07:01 PM
I remember from a jam-a Z Maz that was "beamy" strong projection-all good.

Mik

Mike Better
June 24th, 2003, 05:34 PM
I didn't mean it to be a bad thing, although in certain situations it's possible.. but I played a zbest 410 when I had my z-28 and it was killer.. really nice.. I liked my naylor 2x12 a little more though, and I couldn't turn it around quick enough to grab the 410.

Mike

davidp158
July 1st, 2003, 08:32 PM
I just received a new MAZ 18 2x10 combo, which has the new "Z" design speakers. From what I can tell, they look like other Weber speakers I've owned. I've been borrowing a friend's older MAZ 18 2x10 combo, which has the Celestion Vintage 10 speakers.

To my ears, the Z design speakers are somewhat fuller in the low end, and smoother in the mids and high end. The older MAZ 18 sounds a wee bit harsh compared to my new amp (but still very good). I tried to dial in the same tone on the old MAZ 18, but mine is still smoother and fuller sounding. If the difference is just the speakers between these amps, I'd say that Mike made an excellent choice. I've used the older MAZ 18 on a few gigs, and really liked it. I expect the new amp will fare even better.

Mike also swapped the position of the reverb and cut knobs, but I doubt this has any effect on the tone. I'll have to see if he's using different tubes. I did notice the the EL84 tubes now have retainer clips, which should cut down on the microphonic noises a bit.

dave patterson

Paul G.
July 1st, 2003, 10:29 PM
After about 8 hours or so they will open up and your amp will seem to come alive. They will continue to improve over the next 20 or so hours of use.

Good luck with your new amp. I love my Z, I can't believe how punchy, touch sensitive and versatile it is.

P.

davidp158
July 2nd, 2003, 10:27 AM
Paul,

Yeah, I found that out when I replaced the speaker in my DR. Sounded pretty good at first, but then one day it was suddenly great. Much like an acoustic guitar breaking in the wood, speakers need some time to loosen up. Mike Zaite's amps sound great to begin with, and I always get comments on my tone.

dave patterson

After about 8 hours or so they will open up and your amp will seem to come alive. They will continue to improve over the next 20 or so hours of use.

Good luck with your new amp. I love my Z, I can't believe how punchy, touch sensitive and versatile it is.

P.

hippietim
July 3rd, 2003, 04:22 AM
I'm considering a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia combo (still don't know if I'm a 1x12 or 2x10 "guy"..thoughts on these opinions welcome too !)

I've got a 2x10 Ghia. Due to a wierd chain of events, I ended up needing to wait for the speakers for my combo to come in. I had a couple places to play so in the meantime, I bought a pair of Celestions Vintages from a buddy that pulled them out of a Z 2x10 cabinet (this was from before Z was doing his own speakers). The Celestions sounded great and I was actually satisfied. The Z speakers came in a few weeks later and I didn't bother putting them in for another couple weeks. I'm glad I finally got around to it. It was then that I understood why my friend had pulled the Celestions and ordered Dr. Z speakers. They are punchier and fatter than the Celestions. Very nice sounding speakers.

davidp158
July 3rd, 2003, 11:05 AM
Those Ghia combos are a great idea. I had a Ghia head, but it was a bit of a hassle hauling a speaker around. I would think the 2X10 Ghia combo would be a kickin' amp, especially with the Z speakers.

twang forth,
dave

Soapcaster
July 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM
I have a Z-38 Senior 2x12 and it's a great amp. That cut knob is a very cool thing, not at all like a presence control. Whatever it is that Mike is doing with these amps, there is some serious mojo tone goin' on.

davidp158
July 6th, 2003, 12:38 PM
I did a gig with my MAZ 18 2x10 combo last night, and have to say that I am knocked out by this amp! I have used my friend's MAZ 18 2x10 combo with the Celestion Vintage 10's, and altough it has "just enough" low end for me, I thought it may be a bit bass shy for other players. The new Z speakers have low end to spare! I think they may also be a bit more efficient than the Celestions, as there was a lot of on stage volume, and the amp seems to be much louder and fuller than my friend's MAZ 18.

The MAZ 18 is an amazing amp, especially with Teles. If i had the Celestion Vintage 10s, I would seriously look into replacing them with Mike's Z speakers, or something similar.

Dave Patterson

tweber
July 8th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Hi Folks,

Mike Zaite used our speakers for a year or so, but because of our very tight gaps at the time he had some problems with the amps got banged around during shipping, etc.
Also, after he went to distribution rather than direct sell, it was difficult justifying the price of our speakers since we couldn't afford to extend large quantity discounts.

So... he went back to the Celestions for his 12's and still uses those. We get an occasional request for one of the P12Z's, C12Z's, etc.

For the 10", he designed it and has Eminence build it, then he installs a dustcap to tweak it for the particular amp he is using it in. Like Joe Naylor, Mike knows tone, and although I've never heard his 10", I've seen a lot of nice comments about it. It is loosely based on the Vintage 10 with a much better overall tone and response.

davidp158
July 9th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Ted,

Thanks for your post, and your presence on the TDPRI. You've answered emails from me in the past, and all your speakers that I've tried have been great.

I have a Dr. Z MAZ 38 with your P12Z speakers, and its an awesome sounding amp. I've plugged other amps into those speakers, and for sure, the speakers are a big part of the sound.

I'm really impressed with the Z speakers. I've done two gigs and a few rehearsals with my MAZ 18 Jr., and (to my ears) the Z speakers clearly give a fuller tone, more bass response and break up much better than the Celestion Vintage 10's. I've gigged/reherased/recorded with a friend's MAZ 18 w/Celestions, and while its a great sounding amp, the Z speakers are a great improvement.

Sorry to keep beating this to death, but I'm still in the honeymoon stage with my new amp....

Dave Patterson

JohnK24
July 9th, 2003, 10:28 AM
After all these posts...I've decided...
Carmen Ghia 2x10 with Mike's new speakers...

Thanks again,

JK