$vboptions[bbtitle]

Skunk-stripe or no skunk-stripe?

THRASHOCASTER
December 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hey builders. When you have the option, do you go skunkstripe, or no skunk stripe? I personally like the stripe. But which do you feel is more authentic, or gives the guitar more character?

KevinB
December 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
On a one-piece maple neck, a skunk stripe is pretty much mandatory (how else are you going to fit the truss rod?), but with a neck with a separate fingerboard it is obviously optional.

I prefer it only when needed.

THRASHOCASTER
December 21st, 2012, 01:19 PM
I figured the neck without stripe would be more appealing, but I'm repurposing a lot of strat necks right now, and a lot of them have the stripe.

telex76
December 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
If it's not needed, I don't want it.

viking
December 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
I agree , OTOH , I find the skunk stripe to be one of the most pleasant details of the vintage design....

FredDairy
December 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hey builders. When you have the option, do you go skunkstripe, or no skunk stripe? I personally like the stripe. But which do you feel is more authentic, or gives the guitar more character?

Authentic? Maybe to one era. But that's it. My mid 60s reissues have always been skunk stripeless.

I don't like the skunk stripe.

Sparky472
December 21st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Skunk stripes are necessity for a one-piece neck with a truss rod. I don't think I've ever seen a skunk stripe added to a neck that didn't require it.

KevinB
December 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM
Skunk stripes are necessity for a one-piece neck with a truss rod. I don't think I've ever seen a skunk stripe added to a neck that didn't require it.

Many MIA Teles and Strats with rosewood fingerboards also have skunk stripes. I think they did it simply to make production easier.

THRASHOCASTER
December 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Yup I haver several Rosewood topped strats with the skunk stripe. Even a MIK Bullet strat. Maple top though, come to think of it. I payed a buck for it. No lie. A dollar.

Major Gruber
December 21st, 2012, 06:22 PM
At the origin, the one piece mapple neck was one of the big differences Fender brought to guitar industry. It had a skunk stripe since it had a truss rod. Rosewood fingerboard came in 59 for the tele, and Fender used to set the truss rod by the top, so skunk stripe disappeared (and so the dark wood "drop" on the head stock). Same technics with the mapple fretboard, they're mapple on mapple, sometimes hard to see. Then in 1969, the one piece neck came back, with the skunk stripe, but even the rosewood board were done with a skunk stripe on the back. In those times, Fender only used one technics at a time to set the truss rod. So before being a question of character, it's a question of technics, one piece mapple, no choice, rosewood board, choice. And second it's a question of period correct if you do a reissue. Rosewood with skunk stripe (with unnecesary skunk stripe I would say) is the particularity of what's considered being the worth period for Fender : the 70's. "Noble" eras have a skunk stripe only when it's necessary. Fuel for thoughts about style.

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM

My 2003 HWY1 had a RW fretboard and a skunkstripe.

Telemarkman
December 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
On a one-piece maple neck, a skunk stripe is pretty much mandatory (how else are you going to fit the truss rod?), but with a neck with a separate fingerboard it is obviously optional.

I prefer it only when needed.

+1.

I see no reason for a skunk stripe on other than a one-piece maple neck.

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 10:07 PM
I love the skunk stripage

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm308/coltwknight/20121203_132150.jpg

trev333
December 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
would routing a TR groove in a neck blank take out any potential internal stress in the wood which "might" cause a twist later?.
. the glued in hardwood stripe acting as a stabilizer in the neck...

a bit of insurance for greener wood perhaps?...

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 10:22 PM
would routing a TR groove in a neck blank take out any potential internal stress in the wood which "might" cause a twist later?.
. the glued in hardwood stripe acting as a stabilizer in the neck...

a bit of insurance for greener wood perhaps?...

It may release internal tensions and cause twisting and warpage.

trev333
December 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM
the reason I wondered that was I got a lefty neck a while back and it had a twist... RW top no skunk stripe..
it was replaced at no cost to me and I kept the old neck...

I wondered if I carefully made a TR groove... clamped the neck on a flat surface and glued in a stripe and let it sit like that for a good while to cure..

do you think it'd stay straight if I tried that?.. or would it be better to unglue the RW top to put on another neck build?...

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 10:42 PM
I would make a simple jig on a bench top to clamp it straight, and cover the neck with a heating pad and see if that corrects the twist.

In all reality, if wood has a tendency to warp, it will ussually always find a way to twist eventually.

trev333
December 21st, 2012, 10:52 PM
say if you clamped it flat on a metal jig...and had something like a bakers oven to heat it in..

how hot for how long would you think?.. for it to make any impact on the wood resins, glues, etc?..

has this ever been tried ?..

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 10:55 PM
say if you clamped it flat on a metal jig...and had something like a bakers oven to heat it in..

how hot for how long would you think?.. for it to make any impact on the wood resins, glues, etc?..

has this ever been tried ?..

I have used a heat lamp with a towel wrapped around the neck, and a heating pad. Never tried an oven. It would have to be low heat. To hot, and the neck with dry and crack.

Glen Smith
December 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Roasting maple necks is done at 400F for 30 minutes.

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 11:06 PM
Roasting maple necks is done at 400F for 30 minutes.

Roasted maple is done in special humidified/low oxygen kilns.

Tonetele
December 21st, 2012, 11:09 PM
What's a skunk without a stipe??

Glen Smith
December 21st, 2012, 11:11 PM
Roasted maple is done in special humidified/low oxygen kilns.

Someone on here did it in his home oven and had no problems to report. That doesn't mean it will work with all pieces of maple all the time.

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM
Someone on here did it in his home oven and had no problems to report. That doesn't mean it will work with all pieces of maple all the time.

You can change the color of maple by heating it up, but to properly torrify it to gain the cool properties, it is an involved process. The process was originally developed to use as decking boards on naval ships.

Picton
December 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM
You can change the color of maple by heating it up, but to properly torrify it to gain the cool properties, it is an involved process. The process was originally developed to use as decking boards on naval ships.

I learn something new here every day.

Aesthetically, I love skunk stripes. I think they look cool, and they're one of the things that screams "Fender" to me. On the other hand, if I'm making a two-piece neck, I won't bother to make a skunk stripe just for show. Seems like a form-over-function thing to me.

Glen Smith
December 21st, 2012, 11:28 PM
I tracked down the thread I was referring to and I must say he only tried it with a few small pieces of maple, not a neck.

Colt W. Knight
December 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
I learn something new here every day.

Aesthetically, I love skunk stripes. I think they look cool, and they're one of the things that screams "Fender" to me. On the other hand, if I'm making a two-piece neck, I won't bother to make a skunk stripe just for show. Seems like a form-over-function thing to me.

I think they look great

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm308/coltwknight/DSCF6233.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm308/coltwknight/DSCF6234.jpg

Ricky D.
December 21st, 2012, 11:52 PM
Can't see it when I'm playing.

Can't see it when it's hanging on the wall.

Can't see it when it's in the case.

Can't get worked up about it.

xMercury69x
December 21st, 2012, 11:55 PM
Most bizarre REM reference ever

Sparky472
December 21st, 2012, 11:58 PM
As usual, I guess I'm just not paying enough attention!

mslugano
December 22nd, 2012, 12:13 AM
I mean, really guys...you're wondering/caring about whether a skunk stripe is more authentic or gives a guitar more character? Do you even ever get out and gig?

What's next?...Do you guys think it adds more character if I name my guitar "Crystal" or is "Ol' Red" more authentic? :roll:

Colt W. Knight
December 22nd, 2012, 12:22 AM
I mean, really guys...you're wondering/caring about whether a skunk stripe is more authentic or gives a guitar more character? Do you even ever get out and gig?

What's next?...Do you guys think it adds more character if I name my guitar "Crystal" or is "Ol' Red" more authentic? :roll:

You do not have to be a gigging musician to appreciate a guitar. Some folks just play at the house or with friends, while others collect them as art.

Lone Picker
December 22nd, 2012, 12:23 AM
I like "Ol' Red" better

zeke54
December 22nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
My first Esquire had a stripe , so I came to accept it as it was . My first Strat had no stripe so I accepted that as well . I personally like the look of the stripe , but it is not a priority to me , if the neck feels good that's what I go by . Z54

07 road house
December 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
It looks funny without it to me

Shepherd
December 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Looks naked without one.

Sparky472
December 22nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
You do not have to be a gigging musician to appreciate a guitar. Some folks just play at the house or with friends, while others collect them as art.

+1. To each his own.

Mike Simpson
December 22nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
I only use a stripe on a neck that noes not have a separate fretboard.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/2012-tdpri-tele-build-challenge/127509d1336966964-mike-simpsons-2012-challenge-build-thread-compled-2012-tdpri-coconeck2-jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/dogchicken/IMG_20110429_224707.jpg