$vboptions[bbtitle]

Main Riff: Hotwired - Brent Mason Correct Way of Playing ??

I own a Tele
October 29th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Does Anyone Know Exactly How Brent Plays it ???

Im not sure if the official tab is correct from seeing the way everyone else has been doing it.

From Official Tab: tuned 1/2 step up

fig a.

-5------0---p---------------0---h-----------------------------------------------
-----8-----4^3-----2-3-4-----1^2---p--------p--------------------------------
------------------5-------------------2^0-----2^0-----0---p-------------------
---------------------------------------------2--------2-----2^1----0---h-------
-------------------------------------------------------------------3----3^4-----
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------
---------0----p--p--------------
--2--4------4^2^0-------------
-----------------------3b^1/2---
----------------------------------

Variations Seen:

fig. b

-5------0---p-----------s----0---s----------------------------------------------
-----8-----4^3-----2-3/4------1/2---p--------p-------------------------------
------------------5-------------------2^0------2^0-----0----------------------
----------------------------------------------2--------2-----2-1----0---s-------
-------------------------------------------------------------------3----3/4------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------
-----------------------3b^1/2--

fig. c

-5------0---s----------h---0-----s----------------------------------------------
-----8-----4/3---s---3^4------1/2-----p--------p------------------------------
-----------------5/6-------------------2^0-----2^0-----0----------------------
---------------------------------------------2--------2------2-1-----0----------
--------------------------------------------------------------------3----3-4-----

--------------------------------
-----------------------3b^1/2---

on figure c. : i can get the choked type of sound with pick and finger at this part...which sounds more like the record..not sure if thats or compression or what!!

----------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------p---------------------
----p-m-----r-----------p-r--0----m----------------
----2-1--p--0--p-m----2-4----4^2^0---p---------
----------3-----3-4----------------------3b^1/2----
-------------------------------------------------------

would this be correct fingering?
p= pick m = middle finger r= ring finger

aside from trying to figure out the correct notation. i practice alot on sustaining the notes while playing at a fast tempo and getting all the dynamics. makes it really sound like one continuous lick.

BRENT is just amazing!!

Valvey
October 29th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I think it's figure c with some slight changes.

-5------0---p----------h----0--s--------------------------------------------------
-----8-----4^3------3^4------1/2-----p--------p------------------------------
----------------5--6-------------------2^0-----2^0-----0----------------------
---------------------------------------------2--------2------2-1-----0----------
--------------------------------------------------------------------3----3-4-----

As for the right hand, I wouldn't know, though he usually plays the downbeat notes with the thumb pick.

Samrsmiley
October 30th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have my fingering up on my website, I like to play the G on the first string instead of the second. Check it out-well I can't really give the link without getting banned, but if you go through my homepage URL in the signature you'll find it.

I own a Tele
October 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM
i see the solo transcribed and alan jackson licks but not what i was looking for.

powerscribe
October 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Here's how I did it. I took a look at Brent Mason's Hot Licks video and other YouTube sources, and it verified my fingerings.

http://www.freewebs.com/powerscribe/Hot%20Wired.pdf

sir humphrey
October 30th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have my fingering up on my website, I like to play the G on the first string instead of the second. Check it out-well I can't really give the link without getting banned, but if you go through my homepage URL in the signature you'll find it.

Yup - best not to worry too much about the fingering and play it your way. I play the G on the first string too. In fact I play most of it in completely different positions to Brent because I have my ways of playing and he has his.

Best approach is always to try to transcribe in a way that feels comfortable to you rather than worrying about exact fingerings/positions etc

I own a Tele
October 30th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Yup - best not to worry too much about the fingering and play it your way. I play the G on the first string too. In fact I play most of it in completely different positions to Brent because I have my ways of playing and he has his.

Best approach is always to try to transcribe in a way that feels comfortable to you rather than worrying about exact fingerings/positions etc

well ive been playing it all ways possible with left and right hand (can even use just pinky and pick or whatever combination!) many hours put in...hopefully not wasted, so they all feel the same to me.. just wondering if the OFFICIAL TAB is correct.

and how hard would you say brent mason pops the strings with his hands ?

i thinks i might have to ditch the 10s and bump down to 9-44's.

I own a Tele
November 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
im beginning to think Brent Play's it different ways

VSUpJ6JxyA0

here i believe he slides from the c to c# on the b string. and also on the a string using a pinky there, instead of hammering on.

on another part, my official tab says:

------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------
-----------------------------0---0--------
-------0----0-2-0-------4----4----4-2-0-
----3----3----------4-5-------------------
- 2----------------------------------------

but it looks like here, he goes:

-------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------
-----------------------------0---0---------
-------0----0h2p0-------4----4----4-2-0-
----3----3----------3/5--------------------
- 2------------------------------------------

he does the slide from c to d on a string with ring finger left hand and catches the F# with his pinky. which seems a little a awkward but i found it to make the transition into the next part of the lick easier instead of ring.

i still can't decipher the main lead melody other than :

5---0----
--8------
----------
----------
---------
---------