$vboptions[bbtitle]

Vox vs Fender

gshep92
August 15th, 2012, 01:09 AM
The other guitar player in my band just got a new Vox ac15 and I may be in love with it. It's just got the best tone, perfect wattage, the reverb could e better but the trem is awesome! I play through a '76 Fender Twin. What are your thoughts on Vox amps vs Fenders? I kind of want to get an ac15 and an ABY box for both of them!

Justinvs
August 15th, 2012, 01:43 AM
If you can afford it, go for it. Two classic amps. My preference would be the Vox, but with both of them you would pretty much have the basses covered.

BWNadeau
August 15th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Flip side, but same advice.

uriah1
August 15th, 2012, 07:32 AM
You could try some yellowjackets in your twin and pop a compressor on.
It will wont get you there, but, it will help.

musicmatty
August 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Apples and oranges really...Blondes and Brunettes :lol: Both have their own tone..remember..after playing anything for a long stretch, something else alway's sounds inviting :wink:

Thats what I love about the Fender Mustang Amps..some nites, I feel like jamming on a champ..other nites..perhaps a Princeton or Bassman..and Oh yes..it does it very well :wink:

Hiker
August 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Most non-Fender amps are not designed to sound like Fender cleans. The AC15 is a popular amp, and you can read a ton of threads about the Vox AC15 and AC30 on this, or other forums. Good luck on your quest.

BobbyZ
August 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
You almost have to forget the Vox vs Fender here. What you have is a big clean amp compared to a smaller amp that is going to be more responsive.
The first Fender I used was a 6g2 Princeton the first Vox was a Large solid state with 4x12s. Needless to say the 6g2 was the responsive one and the Vox was the loud clean one.
Anyway the AC15 is a nice amp.

losergeek
August 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
No comparison really between the amps - I have my AC15C1 and love it and would never trade it for a fender because the Vox sound is generally what I want, however if I ever had the space/money for a second amp I'd probably pick up a fender as a good contrast for my Vox (probably a DRRI though, Twins scare me:smile:).

Leep Dog
August 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM
In my opinion, the only right answer is to have each. I love both Fender and Vox amps. If I HAD to pick one, I'd rather have a Vox though but really, try to have both.

NastyMojo
August 15th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I believe the more amps the better.. just more colors on your pallette. I am a Fender guy,but I have had a Voxac15 in the past,and I enjoyed it...not as much as any Fender tho...I had to use dirt boxes to get my dirt out of the vox....I hate pedals.

colchar
August 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
No comparison really between the amps - I have my AC15C1 and love it and would never trade it for a fender because the Vox sound is generally what I want, however if I ever had the space/money for a second amp I'd probably pick up a fender as a good contrast for my Vox

The same goes for me. I love my AC15 and don't really see myself grabbing a second amp anything soon but, if/when I do, it will most likely be a Fender to give me American tones to go with the British tones that I already have.

hooch1
August 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I love my ac15. The couple of drawbacks is the reverb and it doesn't make a great pedal platform. That's where Fender excels. I use a Peavey classic for my pedal platform

burtonfan
August 17th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I own, and love both brands.

WrapAround
August 17th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I, too, own and use both. :D

gitold
August 17th, 2012, 06:50 PM
For shi#s and grins try a Mesa Transatlantic TA 15. I was ready to pull the plug on a AC15 (a great amp) when I gave this amp a listen. The first Chanel is all Vox, with or with out treble boost,5,15, or 25 watts and IMO sounds more Voxy than the Vox. Then on the second channel you have Fender clean, Marshall roar and Mesas singing lead, all foot switchable. Great amp. I think it's $300 more but well worth it IMO.

telepath
August 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Not fair.
Both.
But life is not fair.
Vox!

Green Lantern
August 19th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I prefer Fender amps, generally speaking, but I like AC15's a lot.

gypsyseven
August 19th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I had a Vox AC30 C2 and sold it because it was too loud when i dialed in "my favorite" volume/gain settings...
Now i have a Blues Deluxe RI with a 5751 in V1 and a Jensen C12N and couldnīt be happier.
But to be honest those are two different animals and i also prefer the Blues Deluxe over the Vox because it takes dirt pedals soooo much better.That was a big problem for me to get a dirt pedal that worked for me with the Vox....

Shango66
August 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM
If you can wind the twin up .....great!
But in most gig situations they are hardly past idle.

I'm lucky enough to have access to either a vox ac15 or a fender hot rod deluxe.
Both amps weigh in the same and have 12 inch speakers.
If its a big room...fender is on stage.
Otherwise its the vox, it just sounds good without any fiddling and you can crank it.

superbadj
August 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
It all comes down to personal preference. I have a Princeton Reverb and an AC15C1. I spend 95% of my time on the AC15.

Why? It just sounds the way I want to sound. Sometimes, the Princeton is a perfect change of pace. But the sounds in my head seem to match up with what comes from that AC15.

soulman969
August 19th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Thoughts? An AC15 and a Twin would make a nice pair to ABY. Pretty different ends of the tone spectrum. I guess I'm a Fender clean kind of guy. I never cared much for the sound of a Vox. They sound too mid rangy and "boxy" to me, but that's me. :smile:

brewwagon
August 19th, 2012, 12:26 PM
on the beatles 1966 tour john wanted fender amps but had to use vox due to contract legalities
(maybe he wanted to break away from that typecast- boxy " english" tone and sound more american like the beach boys)

Pickalittle
August 19th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I grew up with Fenders. In the past few years I wanted to love a Vox and tried out several, including the AC15, AC30...
I loved certain tone settings (none better), but I just couldn't bump my DR for the Vox.
I'm sure it's just me, but that AC15 didn't have the depth of tone the 30 did, but the 30 was just too darned awkward to lift or move around. Also, Fender just owns tremelo tone to my ears.
I've found all I need in Fender amps. I've owned the tweed Bassman, Super (Brownface and weed).
Having said that, if I was just doing classic rock, with a crunching and boosted lead tone, and not switching around in the set, I could be very happy with an AC30 into Celestion Blues!
Sooo...one or two tones...Vox into Celestion Blues (or Greenbacks).
All-around great clean tone but able to be driven into awesome OD with great versatility
....Fender!

jefrs
August 19th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Twin and AC15 ???

You need a Laney VC30-112. They go from Fender to Marshall via Vox. They have reverb but no tremolo, for that you want a Marshall VT-1 pedal anyway.

Sure, get an AC15, nice amp, but a band does not generally want two AC15s on the go at once, they tread on each other. Do not get rid of the Twin.

If you are doing Shadows covers clean then you want a G12-15 Alnico Blue.
If you are doing classic rock, blues, or even jazz, you want a G12M-25 Greenback.

ADK Teleman
August 19th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I like Vox amps, but man Fender is the only amp for me! I have played them all and never found the tone I was looking for until I plugged into a Deluxe!

Televised
August 19th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I own, and love both brands.

+1, These are the two amp tones I strive for that just go oh so well with a Tele....clean and cleaner.

candh
August 26th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Like many others...I have both. I'm quite enjoying my new ac15c1 but I'm pretty sure my '64 AA864 Bassman and '69 Super Reverb won't be on the sidelines for too long..:wink:

Tony Ferrari
August 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Count me in for the Vox/Fender club, too.
76 SFDR and 97 AC15TB2.

Currently, the AC15 is the world champion, but I can't bring myself to part with the SFDR.

The AC15 can get some hair on it at any volume thanks to the master volume. And the SFDR stays clean and gets crazy loud.

T Prior
August 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I understand what the OP is asking but I just can't help myself here.

these TWO amps are not even on the same planet for comparison..

15 watt amp that gets pretty dirty early on the knob vs a 100 watt amp that doesn't get dirty on the knob at all !

The Ac15 is a very nice amp but you may find yourself getting frustrated with it's limited clean gain...it may be a great amp for " today" but "tomorrow" it may fall short....

Had one, liked it, don't have it anymore

Still have the Twin....

colchar
August 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I love my ac15. The couple of drawbacks is the reverb and it doesn't make a great pedal platform. That's where Fender excels. I use a Peavey classic for my pedal platform

Do the bright cap mod and the AC15 will take pedals just fine.

tweedtone
August 26th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I've got a new-ish AC-15 and a '60s BFDR and when venue-appropriate, running the two together is my idea of heaven.

Loganloveguitar
August 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM
tough question, I would say Fender just cause they are more versatile and have better reverb I think