July 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
When I completed my partscaster, I lined up the bridge with the pickup cavity and the stringthrough holes which was a bad idea. The Bridge is about 1/8 inch too low on the body. So I'm going to have to plug the screw holes and scoot it over a touch. What's the EASIEST way to effectively plug the screw holes so I can drill new ones right beside them? Not really worried about pretty because it will be covered by the bridge.
July 6th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Couple of things come to mind, Dowel pins the appropriate size with glue or a bunch of glued tooth picks stuck in with glue.
July 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM
really small holes you can pack with a sawdust and glue mixture...
July 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Are you sure that the neck is fitting in the pocket properly? Are the strings running straight down the neck or are they angled? There could be some kinda problem with that.
July 6th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the bridge. I can scoot the string over on the saddle and it gets pretty close, but it won't stay there. Also the line of the top string follows the line of the bottom string. And it sits too far from the edge of the fretboard. Also I've worked with the neck and it didn't help at all. All that's left is moving the bridge.
July 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Are the string through holes in the correct location for the bridge you are using?
July 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
It's a Wilkerson bridge and I'm using it as a top loader. When I installed the bridge I used the string thorough holes to line it up. It's a new Mighty Mite body so I'm thinking that is probably the issue.
July 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Were the bridge screw holes already drilled? 3 holes or 4 holes?
July 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM
According to the calculator on the Stew-Mac website, the bridge mounting hole centers are to be located at 25.75" from the fretboard edge of the nut.
July 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I had to drill the holes and I tried to line it up with the pickup cavity and the string though holes. I just think the body was routed a little south and I need to fudge the bridge over just a bit. My only concern is getting the first screw holes plugged good enough for me to drill new screw holes right beside of them.
July 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Terry Downs has an excellent blueprint you can get some measurements off of. Just open the PDF file in this post.
July 6th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I have had to do this once I drilled the holes larger all the way to the string thru inserts and glued in a hardwood dowel cut and sanded flush redrilled and repainted. This worked well for me. Sorry for some reason can't load pic of the back of the guitar.
July 6th, 2012, 10:06 PM
There are have been a few reports here of problems with MM bodies in the past. I suggest plugging the present holes with dowels cut flush with the top which would allow you to redrill without the previous holes deviating the drill bit.
July 6th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Looks like I'll be finding a really small dowel and some wood glue. Thanks for all the help. I had hoped there would be something easier to plug the hole with than dowels, but I'll find a way to make it work.