$vboptions[bbtitle]

Just Played a Sterling Silo...

Hallski
April 18th, 2012, 07:59 PM
...and LOVED it! I am in search of something to replace my Schecter Stargazer, and I have kind of been all over the place as to what it would be.

I knew I wanted a smaller neck, so I played some Jacksons/Ibanez's. I thought I wanted a "shredder", then realized I don't really shred, haha, so I turned away from that. I looked into some USA Peaveys, and I was thinking for a second about a 7 string, because I played one and liked the option of having that extra string. I did look into Sterlings, as I have seen them used for the right price in terms of what I can get for my Schecter.

It was until tonight that I realized my local shop had a used Sterling Silo 30 in stock. (I was there checking out some MIM Strats that I have been thinking about). Excited, I picked it up and plugged it in, and I couldnt put it down! HB in the bridge sounded pretty hot, which I liked, and the neck PUP (single) had a great warmth to it. I then went back and got the MIM Strat I liked and played them back to back, and the difference in favor of the Sterling was astounding to me.

It seems to be exactly what I am looking for; thin neck, great access to upper frets, and the ability to get some great rock tones while having the option to play some heavy blues.

Does anyone else have one? For the price, new or used, they seem to be great for the money. I've seen used from 230.00 to 299.00.

Sorry for the long post, but I am just a bit excited to have found something after all my searching that I dig! :grin:

Blazer
April 18th, 2012, 08:04 PM
For those not familiar with the guitar that's being discussed...

http://www.theperfectguitar.com/site100-01/1001809/Images/1001809str_silo30_sg14141_lg.jpg
I played those as well, they are incredible value for money.

But I'd still go for the real Musicman Silhouette, believe me, play one and you'll instantly notice the difference.
http://szn61.webs.com/photos/Guitars/MusicMan%20Silhouette%201R.jpg

Hallski
April 18th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Blazer...

Thanks for putting the pics up, I forgot! I haven't played the Musicman Silhouette, but I played a friends Musicman Axis (I think? Not sure of the model). It was an amazing guitar, and I am sure the Silhouette is amazing as well. Just a bit out of my price range at the moment, unfortunately. I also liked that the Silo didnt really feel cheap, even though the price tag is.