$vboptions[bbtitle]

The Excelsior Lounge

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

tele salivas
July 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I have to say, a Pedal Steel Guitar sounds really fantastic through the Excelsior! Beats the Princeton to hell for pedal steel. Bright Setting, Accordian input 1:00 on the amp Volume, Vol. pedal at half-mast(they ban the word (C-o_c_k)...brrrang!

Iceman
July 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Cover update: Sweetwater is expecting a shipment of the Excelsior covers on or about 8 August. Cost with free shipping: $21.99 Fender Part Number: 0090950000

Now in stock at SW:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ExcelsiorCover

Now That's Service!

mike77rios
July 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Getting ready to do the tone mod, going to GC for pot, knob and also going to change out V1 with my NOS Sovtek 12AX7. will report back later this afternoon......

jdaunt
July 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
What does the "rattling" some people have been talking about with these sound like? Mine has started to develop a weird, high pitched noise that sounds like it's coming out of the back when I play a D note. Doesn't matter what string, whether it's just the single note or in a chord, but sometimes-not all the time but occassionally-i get this odd sound when I hita D. Is this the rattle or is it possibly something else?

Wyzsard
July 21st, 2012, 02:26 PM
What does the "rattling" some people have been talking about with these sound like? Mine has started to develop a weird, high pitched noise that sounds like it's coming out of the back when I play a D note. Doesn't matter what string, whether it's just the single note or in a chord, but sometimes-not all the time but occassionally-i get this odd sound when I hita D. Is this the rattle or is it possibly something else?

This ?

QM2qWZYbInI

jdaunt
July 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM
This ?

QM2qWZYbInI

It kind of sounds like that, but it only happens when I hit a D note-is that common for microphonic tubes? I just recently replaced all but the V2 tubes with brand new ones (Tung Sol 12ax7 and JJ 6V6s), maybe I'll just pickup a new 12ax7 for V2 and see if that makes it stop and go from there. Hoping that's what it is.

I'm at work now so can't do the pencil test right now, but will when I get home tonight.

t-luxe
July 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
maybe I'll just pickup a new 12ax7 for V2 and see if that makes it stop and go from there.
Even new tubes can be microphonic. Have you tried swapping the original V1 tube back into V1, or for V2? If that doesn't help, I'd swap around the power tubes also, to see if you can narrow it down.

jdaunt
July 21st, 2012, 06:16 PM
The original 12ax7 was shot, can try taking the one out of my SCXD and see what happens, still have the 6V6s so i could try those too, but it was making the sound before I switched tubes so I'm thinking if it's a tube it's the V2 tube. I just ordered more tubes anyway, been looking for an excuse to get upgraded ones for my SCXD (EH 12ax7 and TS 6V6s) and got another TS 12ax7 for the V2 spot.

mike77rios
July 21st, 2012, 06:44 PM
Alright! I just finished testing the mods I spoke of earlier today and it went off with out a hitch! I'm now able to set tone any where I want AND, with the Sovtek 12AX7 in the V1 position it breaks up earlier and just sounds great! I am going to have to order three replacement knobs so that they will match, GC didnt have what I want so I'm going to get a trio of "Chicken Head" knobs.:mrgreen:

MadJack
July 21st, 2012, 07:44 PM
I thought these (http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-K316-1) would go well on the Excelsior. they come in a set of six (http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-K316) also. The Chicken-heads would look good too.

Pointmonger
July 21st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Ran my Excelsior in stereo with my new silverface champ for the first time today. Too much fun. I think I'll be playing around with this set-up for a bit.

mike77rios
July 21st, 2012, 09:15 PM
Thanx MadJack! now the question is cream or black chicken heads????

t-luxe
July 21st, 2012, 09:26 PM
I almost bought those brown ones. I decided on cream chicken-heads instead. Easier to see at a distance. That being said, I've got three gold Les Paul speed knobs on mine at present! The chicken-heads look real good on there, though. Probably a better choice if you're gonna be playing it out...

mike77rios
July 21st, 2012, 10:15 PM
Alright I just ordered a trio of cream Chicken head knobs for my Excelsior!!!!

Wyzsard
July 23rd, 2012, 12:35 AM
Alright! I just finished testing the mods I spoke of earlier today and it went off with out a hitch! I'm now able to set tone any where I want AND, with the Sovtek 12AX7 in the V1 position it breaks up earlier and just sounds great! I am going to have to order three replacement knobs so that they will match, GC didnt have what I want so I'm going to get a trio of "Chicken Head" knobs.:mrgreen:

Good deal. Great when things work out aint it ?

Wyzsard
July 25th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Another decent demo

jrWK0U_2skc

tele salivas
July 25th, 2012, 09:43 AM
My "Bright" is not too bright anymore. That's what I use for all my guitars now. Have the guitar's tone at about 7 or 8. I do use a Fish n Chips EQ, but that just adds some lows, not set to impact the highs. For pedal steel, this amp rocks. Haven't used it with a band, it might not have the power needed for a pedal steel to use in a band situation. But I got a Laney SS for that when the situation comes up.

Funny thing, a buddy of mine picked up an Excelsior, and his breaks up way earlier than mine. Everything looks the same, but we cannot figure it out. He's taking it back and seeing if he can get one with more headroom. I thought it was just a humbucker vs single coil thing, but now I can see why people are having such different perspectives. It was like he had his on a drive channel compared to what mine sounds like. There was a big difference in the threshold for breakup.

Iceman
July 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM
When it breaks up might be a result of variance in the pre-amp tube (V1).

markophonic
July 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I picked up an Excelsior a couple weeks back. I've been rolling a bunch of tubes through it. I started off replacing the 6V6's with some JJ's and have kept them in...I've tried a bunch of preamp tubes. I had some Electro Harmonix 12ax7's in it...better than stock, Then I put some Tung-Sols, they were nice and chimey, almost too much so with the bright switch. Then I tried a Mullard in V1, it had provided a later and smoother breakup...sounded nice. I currently have an old RCA 7025 in V1 and the Mullard in V2. The RCA really brought the bottom end out, much fuller, fatter sounding and not too harsh.

I've run about 15 tubes through V1 and it changes where the amp starts to breakup...The Mullard started to breakup latest and the some Groovetubes started to breakup the earliest...The RCA is probably slightly later than the Tung Sols. The Mullard has a smoother chop on the tremolo so I might put a Tung Sol back in V2.

It may all change as the speaker is starting to break in and thats starting to change things up a bit.

I'm also using an Earthquaker Devices Tone Job EQ with it. I initially thought I would use it to tame the brightness on the High side...but tend to use it more to sweeten up the high end on the Low switch setting. It's also great for bringing up the bottom end a bit.

It takes pedals well...I've run a bunch of different overdrives and boosts through it.

Overall I'm happy with it.

mike77rios
July 26th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I received my trio of "Chicken Head" knobs and they are on the amp! I got them through "Antique Electronic Supply" Thanks MadJack for that info!

benderb9
July 26th, 2012, 08:06 AM
That V1 tube really determines the tone/breakup...the tubes Fender deems fit to ship in the Excelsior are third rate bottles and were the source of some weird noises/rattles in mine when I got it. I had already ordered and had some different tubes laying around and swapping out the garbage that shipped in it made the amp sing and the ghost noises/rattles disappear. I was a bit disappointed that Fender ships such a fine new amp design with such dismal tubes in it. At a cost of roughly 60.00 to swap out the tubes it isn't an easy step for everyone that buys a new amp to make, I'm sure a lot have been returned as defective because of that issue. But it is what it is and after that change it is a stellar amp. Just ordered the cover from Sweetwater so that should be a decent addition to it as well to help keep the covering somewhat intact for an extended period. I still love this amp, what a great range of tones you get from such a simple layout. Everything I've plugged into it has sounded exceptional and as it breaks in it just gets better. I've thought about the tone knob modification, but...well I can work it out from the guitar pretty easily. A tremolo on/off footswitch may be another matter entirely though.:smile:

jdaunt
July 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Been emailing a rep from Fender about the rattling problem some of the Excelsiors have had, making a weird sound on a D note. He suggested taking it in to GC and see if they have any suggestions-or just swap for a new one. So I'm probably gonna do that tomorrow, after putting the stock tubes back in of course. Really like this amp too, other than the fact that I can't play a D note with it turned up beyond halfway.

The Fender rep has been really nice and helpful.

t-luxe
July 27th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Mine has a little bit of a rattle, not that noticable unless I listen for it...no big deal.
So does just about every Combo amp I've ever owned.

jdaunt
July 27th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Mine has a little bit of a rattle, not that noticable unless I listen for it...no big deal.
So does just about every Combo amp I've ever owned.

Mine is very noticable, anytime I hit a D note with the amp volume above halfway there's a really loud shreiking sound. Tried new tubes and tightening all the screws and everything. Others have complained of the exact same issue, and no fix for it so far.

t-luxe
July 28th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Someting wrong there, for sure.

jdaunt
July 28th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Just did a little more in depth checking on the "rattle", it's something in the upper chasis toward the inside. Don't think it was the handle, the screws seemed to be tight and it didn't seem to matter what position the handle was in or if I was holding the handle or not, it still did it. The inside panel of the upper chasis was REALLY vibrating when I put my hand on it while playing the open D string, my hand being on there didn't stop the sound though. Tried checking the screws on that best I could-it's pretty tight in there. I also tried loosening the screws on the top of the chasis just a touch to see if maybe those were too tight and were causing something to be off, but that didn't seem to help either. Oh, and I did remove the jewel cover and no luck.

Only other thing I noticed was when I was feeling on the inside part of the upper chasis I could feel a couple of those little foam tabs sticking out, one toward each end. Was thinking maybe either those were rubbing funny on something on the inside, or those were creating a gap that was causing extra vibration, but didn't want to pull them out and possibly make it worse, and make GC say I can't return it (I doubt they'd ever notice that but didn't want to risk it).

I'll probably just give up and put the stock tubes back in it and take it in tomorrow, won't have time to let it cool down for the tube swap before I have to go to work this afternoon

jdaunt
July 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Took my Excelsior back today to exchange and the one on the floor at GC did the same thing. So they ordered me a new one. Hoping the new one works out, really like the amp, except for the rattle on D notes.

folktheatre
July 29th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Just wanted to say that I got one of these dudes and I love it. I'm playing western swing/rockabilly and it's ideal. Plus it looks the shiznit. The tremolo is an inspired choice too if you like to swamp it up!

tele salivas
July 30th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I like reverb on amplifiers. Those that don't have it, I use the EHX Holy Grail, even the ones that do have reverb, I put my Holy Grail onto them to get deep and shallow at the tap of the switch. With the Excelsior , I don't use reverb. Even on pedal steel, where reverb is a really nice thing. This amp has a lot of depth to the sound. But the tremelo is great, now I'm hooked on tremelo.

benderb9
July 30th, 2012, 08:32 AM
received the Fender cover from Sweetwater. It's brown and a sort of medium duty rip-stop type nylon material. The sides have a woven cloth reinforcement and the handle opening has a sewn in vinyl reinforcement patch. I think it'll do a decent job of protecting it from light rain/bumping during transport and dust when not in use, it folds up into almost nothing. It isn't an Anvil Case or HD vinyl cover like what covers my old Kustom Challenger but it'll do to ride the river with. A cover is a worthwhile investment for this amp with that huge open back.

Wyzsard
July 30th, 2012, 06:29 PM
received the Fender cover from Sweetwater. It's brown and a sort of medium duty rip-stop type nylon material. The sides have a woven cloth reinforcement and the handle opening has a sewn in vinyl reinforcement patch. I think it'll do a decent job of protecting it from light rain/bumping during transport and dust when not in use, it folds up into almost nothing. It isn't an Anvil Case or HD vinyl cover like what covers my old Kustom Challenger but it'll do to ride the river with. A cover is a worthwhile investment for this amp with that huge open back.

Thanks for the cover review :cool:

Reckon I'll get one as well.

idjster
August 1st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Perhaps a matter of perspective ? My 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe does not seem significantly louder. I did notice that my v1 12AX7 was not that gainy, more similar to a 7571. I need to turn the amp up to about 3/4 to get it to break up and it seems quite loud to me

I just picked one up for my wife yesterday. I had originally tested one out when the first one came in at my usual guitar shop and I loved how it sounded. Lots of clean headroom. That's when I decided it would be perfect for my wife as that's what she's looking for. When I picked it up yesterday I took it home and played it with both single coils and humbuckers and I had to dial it up higher than we'd ever use it in the house to get it to break up. She's very pleased with it. :grin:

Sune Andersson
August 2nd, 2012, 05:27 AM
Sitting at home, waiting for the postman to come with my new JJ tubes! 2 6V6s maqtched (for my Excelsior) and two 6L6GCs (for my HR Deville 410)...
And some preamp tubes too... one JJ ECC81, one 5751, five (two balanced) ECC ECC83S and finally one ECC832...
We he arrives I will rush to the studio and try out different configs to see what I like the most... got some more older preamp tubes I will try out too... :-)

jdaunt
August 2nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
My new one got delivered yesterday and I finally got a chance to try it out this morning-NO RATTLE!

Very excited now, really love this amp.

Prairie Dawg
August 2nd, 2012, 11:18 AM
My new one got delivered yesterday and I finally got a chance to try it out this morning-NO RATTLE!

Very excited now, really love this amp.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

MontrealTele
August 2nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
The Rattle.

I have had mine for about a month and the rattle has been making me crazy. However, I think I may have it somewhat isolated. I first tightened every screw I could find. Nothing.
I then changed out all the tubes. Slight improvement. I then held down the pre-amp tube covers (one at a time)with one hand while strumming. Bingo. Removed the covers, better but still there. I fiddled with pre-amp tube housings and noticed how loose and flimsy they were. I then tightened them both as much as possible and there is great improvement.
It now seems to be emanating from the first pre-amp tube housing. This one remains loose no matter how much I tighten it. I may be wrong on this, but I know I am getting closer. I have reduced the rattle by about 90% and the amp is totally playable now. The rattle definitely came from the upper chassis, and I just need to figure out a way to secure the crappy housing on the one pre-amp tube.
In my opinion it is well worth keeping the amp and fixing this problem. I have spent many years and much money searching for an amp with this kind of tone. Unbelievable to get this for $300.

Sune Andersson
August 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Ok... :lol: got my new tubes from Eurotubes and rushed to the rehearsal studio...
first I exchanged all the tubes in the Excelsior... and WOW! What a difference!
The sounded GREAT!
Two JJ 6V6S matched power tubes and two JJ ECC83S preamp tubes.
No more high pitch ringing, a smoother tone better headroom and a cooler breakup tone.
I couldnīt hear any volume difference (just played too loud anyway).

Then I made the change on my Hotrod Deville 410 too...
Two JJ 6L6GC matched power tubes, one 5751 in the V1, one ECC83S in V2 and a balanced ECC83S in V3... (The SRV Option #1 at Eurotubes)
That sound almost made me cry. So beautiful...
Now I got two super amps... gonna try them out daisy chained now... :grin:

mike77rios
August 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
if the preamp tube holders are the cause of the rattle, do you think that maybe soldering the tube holders (to the upper chassis) or even J.B. weld would work? Just a thought.....

mike77rios
August 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
a couple weeks back i replaced V1 a Sovtek 12Ax7. Its break up point started at around three. BUT it started to make noise and rattle a little bit sounded pretty good but I forgot how it sounded clean. I replaced the V1 tube with the stock one that came with the amp and.....wow!!!! Flippng tone is AWESOME STOCK!!! can you believe that? What a trip the best part is that it sounds great with my pedal board. Im not sure if the change is the tone knob mod that I did at the same time that I traded out the V1 but wow! it really makes my modded Gretsch sing!

SixStringAddict
August 4th, 2012, 07:05 AM
The Rattle.

I have had mine for about a month and the rattle has been making me crazy. However, I think I may have it somewhat isolated. I first tightened every screw I could find. Nothing.
I then changed out all the tubes. Slight improvement. I then held down the pre-amp tube covers (one at a time)with one hand while strumming. Bingo. Removed the covers, better but still there. I fiddled with pre-amp tube housings and noticed how loose and flimsy they were. I then tightened them both as much as possible and there is great improvement.
It now seems to be emanating from the first pre-amp tube housing. This one remains loose no matter how much I tighten it. I may be wrong on this, but I know I am getting closer. I have reduced the rattle by about 90% and the amp is totally playable now. The rattle definitely came from the upper chassis, and I just need to figure out a way to secure the crappy housing on the one pre-amp tube.
In my opinion it is well worth keeping the amp and fixing this problem. I have spent many years and much money searching for an amp with this kind of tone. Unbelievable to get this for $300.

You could probably find a small washer and nut for the socket mounting screws, and use them to hold the socket in place better. You'd just need to open up the chassis to get to the other end of the screw.

t-luxe
August 5th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I noticed a small rattle that increased a bit soon after I had swapped the stock tubes for JJs, replaced the speaker, and installed a tone pot. I tried all the screw-tightening, tube cage adjusting, and chassis damping stuff and just couldn't eliminate it entirely....until I swapped out the new JJ 6v6s for some Tung Sol RIs 6V6s. Just goes to show, even brand new tubes may be the culprit.

Satchmo
August 6th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I've been getting great tone from my Excelsior by jumpering two of the inputs. I'm plugging my guitar into the mic input and running a patch cord between the guitar and accordion inputs.

Prior to adding the 'jumper cable', I was getting harsh trebles and flabby bass when I played my Teles through the Excelsior. Now the trebles are round and sweet while the bass notes are firm and solid. Sonic bliss!

I assume this jumper won't harm the amp but I'd appreciate some of you more knowledgeable folks chiming in with your opinions.

benderb9
August 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
shouldn't do any harm using a jumper...now why didn't I think of that?!?!?? LOL, gonna HAVE to try it.

SixStringAddict
August 6th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Has anyone else noticed buzzing/rattling when they palm mute E-A on the lowest string in dark mode? I had no problems with buzzing or rattle until I decided to palm mute a few low notes.

I've pulled out both chassis and it's still there. I've tightened all the screws and nuts I could find, even the two on the speaker terminal plate. I don't believe it's the tubes, put them in another amp and had no problems. Lastly, I can't get it to stop placing pressure with my hand on anything.

I'm thinking it's either the speaker itself or the baffle. Has anyone ever used weather stripping to try and tighten up a cabinet?

Sune Andersson
August 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM
shouldn't do any harm using a jumper...now why didn't I think of that?!?!?? LOL, gonna HAVE to try it.

Maybe not, sounds harmless... but what good will it do?
I canīt hear any difference in tone...

Wyzsard
August 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I've been getting great tone from my Excelsior by jumpering two of the inputs. I'm plugging my guitar into the mic input and running a patch cord between the guitar and accordion inputs.

Prior to adding the 'jumper cable', I was getting harsh trebles and flabby bass when I played my Teles through the Excelsior. Now the trebles are round and sweet while the bass notes are firm and solid. Sonic bliss!

I assume this jumper won't harm the amp but I'd appreciate some of you more knowledgeable folks chiming in with your opinions.

Brilliant idea :cool:

Gotta try it.

Wyzsard
August 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Has anyone else noticed buzzing/rattling when they palm mute E-A on the lowest string in dark mode? I had no problems with buzzing or rattle until I decided to palm mute a few low notes.

I've pulled out both chassis and it's still there. I've tightened all the screws and nuts I could find, even the two on the speaker terminal plate. I don't believe it's the tubes, put them in another amp and had no problems. Lastly, I can't get it to stop placing pressure with my hand on anything.

I'm thinking it's either the speaker itself or the baffle. Has anyone ever used weather stripping to try and tighten up a cabinet?

Rattles in combos can be anything. Even the handle. You'll find it eventually. :cool:

Satchmo
August 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Maybe not, sounds harmless... but what good will it do?
I canīt hear any difference in tone...

I can't tell you what good it will do for you but for me it tightened and cleaned up the bass and eliminated the raspy trebles that I was getting with my Teles. I got increased clean headroom and a pure, bell-like tone that I previously was unable to achieve. Before jumping the two other "channels", my trebles were strident and biting. Playing the low E and A strings resulted in a fuzz tone when played at higher volume. Now those deficiencies have been removed. I'm getting a good, clean tone and seem to have a bit more volume.... at least I have more usable volume at hand.

Obviously, your mileage may vary. I would guess that what types of pickups, tubes, etc. you're using will produce different results. Not to mention that each of us has different ears and tastes in tone. My perfect tone might not be quite so perfect to everyone but it works for me.

I'm getting the best tone to my ears by plugging my guitar into the mic input and jumping the guitar and accordion inputs.

Prior to jumping the other two inputs, I was planning to jumper the sag resistors and replace the stock speaker to achieve clean tone. Now I don't have any desire to change a thing on the amp.

Bottom line: It only takes a few seconds to try jumping the inputs. Try plugging your guitar into each of the inputs while jumping the remaining two. If you like the result, great. If you don't like it, pull out the jumper cable. If you aren't happy with the results, all you've lost is a couple minutes of time.

Satchmo
August 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Rattles in combos can be anything. Even the handle. You'll find it eventually. :cool:

It was mentioned previously that the tube shields on the 12AX7 tubes might be contributing to rattles. When I switched tubes, I noticed how thin and cheap those shields and their springs were. Although I haven't experienced any rattles, I plan on replacing those tube shields with more robust shields because the originals appear to be cheaply constructed.

For anybody getting rattles, it might be worthwhile to try playing the amp with those shields removed. That might not cure a case of the rattles but it will eliminate one possible offender from the mix.

Prairie Dawg
August 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I did the tone control mod today and installed a standard Fender pilot light fixture with a red jewel today. Total time in the shop was about 30 minutes. Big improvements. It looks better with the vintage Dakaware knobs too.

Wyzsard
August 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
It was mentioned previously that the tube shields on the 12AX7 tubes might be contributing to rattles. When I switched tubes, I noticed how thin and cheap those shields and their springs were. Although I haven't experienced any rattles, I plan on replacing those tube shields with more robust shields because the originals appear to be cheaply constructed.

For anybody getting rattles, it might be worthwhile to try playing the amp with those shields removed. That might not cure a case of the rattles but it will eliminate one possible offender from the mix.

Thankfully, mine isn't rattling either. I got mine in a factory sealed box from a local shop and I did remove the shields to make sure the tubes hadn't worked loose during shipping. I didn't replace the shields, so I don't know if they would rattle or not.

Sune Andersson
August 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I can't tell you what good it will do for you but for me it tightened and cleaned up the bass and eliminated the raspy trebles that I was getting with my Teles. I got increased clean headroom and a pure, bell-like tone that I previously was unable to achieve. Before jumping the two other "channels", my trebles were strident and biting. Playing the low E and A strings resulted in a fuzz tone when played at higher volume. Now those deficiencies have been removed. I'm getting a good, clean tone and seem to have a bit more volume.... at least I have more usable volume at hand.

Obviously, your mileage may vary. I would guess that what types of pickups, tubes, etc. you're using will produce different results. Not to mention that each of us has different ears and tastes in tone. My perfect tone might not be quite so perfect to everyone but it works for me.

I'm getting the best tone to my ears by plugging my guitar into the mic input and jumping the guitar and accordion inputs.

Prior to jumping the other two inputs, I was planning to jumper the sag resistors and replace the stock speaker to achieve clean tone. Now I don't have any desire to change a thing on the amp.

Bottom line: It only takes a few seconds to try jumping the inputs. Try plugging your guitar into each of the inputs while jumping the remaining two. If you like the result, great. If you don't like it, pull out the jumper cable. If you aren't happy with the results, all you've lost is a couple minutes of time.

Hi again Satchmo!
I hope you understand that I love people experimenting to get most out of their amps, and hey, that is why I bought my Excelsior! :razz:
And as soon as I read what you wrote, I tried out your idea and jumpered round like a madman on my Excelsior. :lol:
If it was a two channel amp I could see the meaning (and probably hear it) but I canīt see how this can clean up the sound.
I hope you donīt think I am out trying to put you down... I am not.
I am just trying to learn new stuff and I know I may be wrong, that is why I am open for discussions.

mike77rios
August 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Prairie Dawg, how do like the way your amp sounds now after the tone knob mod? I did mine a few weeks back and I love it! I installed cream chicken head knobs on mine, looks killer!

Satchmo
August 6th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I hope you donīt think I am out trying to put you down... I am not.
I am just trying to learn new stuff and I know I may be wrong, that is why I am open for discussions.

No offense taken. I also want to learn (and have learned) from the experience of others on this forum. We're both pursuing the same goals.

The jumper cable worked for me; it didn't work for you. Other people can try the "trick" themselves and decide if they find it useful or not.

There are too many variables in guitars, playing styles, preferences, etc. for all of us to agree on every suggestion offered in this thread. This thread is great for offering mods and tweaks for the Excelsior. Everyone can decide which of those tweaks work for them. If everybody agreed on everything, we'd all play the exact same guitars with the same exact pickups, amps, etc.

Keep reading and keep offering your suggestions and experience with different mods. That's how we all learn to get the most from our amps.

Satchmo
August 6th, 2012, 08:10 PM
If it was a two channel amp I could see the meaning (and probably hear it) but I canīt see how this can clean up the sound.

I don't know how or why my jumpering the inputs makes a difference but it did make a noticeable difference for me.

I found that jumper idea mentioned on a different forum and saw a YouTube clip where the player used that configuration. I figured that it was easy enough to try myself and liked the results. As with every other tweak, your mileage may vary... and probably will.

Keep tweaking and keep sharing your results with us.

Pointmonger
August 6th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I don't know how or why my jumpering the inputs makes a difference but it did make a noticeable difference for me.

I found that jumper idea mentioned on a different forum and saw a YouTube clip where the player used that configuration. I figured that it was easy enough to try myself and liked the results. As with every other tweak, your mileage may vary... and probably will.

Keep tweaking and keep sharing your results with us.

Well, I thought "what the heck" and gave this a shot. Plugged into the mic input and ran a jumper between the other two. Volume went up noticeably and definitely had a fuller sound through the mic input. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Sune Andersson
August 6th, 2012, 10:25 PM
No offense taken. I also want to learn (and have learned) from the experience of others on this forum. We're both pursuing the same goals.

Good, that makes me happy to hear!
But it still confuses me, I took a look at the schematic and I can't see how a jumper cable between Guitar In and Acc In and the guitar in the Mic In can give you a better tone...
I will try it out again tomorrow with another jumper cable...
It makes no sence to me... then again it is music not science right? :razz:
Is here anyone here with more skills in electronics that can help us out here?

The modification I have done so far is exchanging my tubes (matched pair of JJ 6V6Ss, with tube damper rings and 2 JJ ECC83Ss preamp tubes) and that made my sound MUCH clearer and with a much better break up tone. No more vibrations caused by me playing a D notes... and now I can max it out (yesss!!! :twisted: ) without the Excelsior going bonkers... well worth the extra cost.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/SuneAndersson/JJTubes.jpg

I will exchange speaker next time I got some extra money to burn... and I am thinking of a Jensen Vintage AlNiCo P15N (with a bell cover, just because I like the look of it...)
Then I would mount the original speaker into an axternal cabinet and see if I could make an external speaker output so that I can use both speakers at the same time...

I read something about changing transformers would change the tone radically and some clips on Youtube (other amps) seemed to prove it. Mercury Magnetics are mentioned a lot. Someone who knows more of this mod?

MadJack
August 6th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I read something about changing transformers would change the tone radically and some clips on Youtube (other amps) seemed to prove it. Mercury Magnetics are mentioned a lot. Someone who knows more of this mod?

BillM spoke about his Heyboer/David Allen of Allen Amplification TO20 and/or the TO22 output transformers (about 2/3s down the page) (http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=65) helping out quite a bit. At $55 & $65, a lot cheaper than an MM at $$$$?

Prairie Dawg
August 6th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Gut shots and commentary here. http://judyboxamp.blogspot.com/2012/08/fender-excelsior-you-fathead.html

Bulldog87
August 6th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I am still loving mine! I've had it for a while and I'm pleased as can be. The Excelsior paired with my MXR 78 Custom Badass for distortion (when needed) makes the amp very versatile! I really dig it!

Understory
August 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I am still loving mine! I've had it for a while and I'm pleased as can be. The Excelsior paired with my MXR 78 Custom Badass for distortion (when needed) makes the amp very versatile! I really dig it!
That pedal - MXR Badass distortion - Is amazing on this amp!

Sune Andersson
August 7th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Gut shots and commentary here. http://judyboxamp.blogspot.com/2012/08/fender-excelsior-you-fathead.html

Thanks for the gut shots, Prairie Dawg! I havenīt opened up mine yet, but I will you can be sure... :-)
Is there a chance you can show us how you exactly did with the tone control... and be honest... does it do that much to the sound? Could you be without it? You know I kind of like the little switch... it is so Lo-Fi...

Do you know how to install a correct external speaker jack? One that turns off the internal when an external is plugged in or maybe both internal AND external with an on-off switch?

Prairie Dawg
August 7th, 2012, 09:19 AM
If you take a look at the switch it has three wires-two yellow and one green. These go to the three connectors on a 500k pot and duplicate the function of the switch except that you can roll off a little treble if you like. The switch is all or nothing but this allows you a little more latitude is all.

I haven't tried to put an external speaker jack of the kind you describe but I am sure someone here has. It should be interesting.

Remember that the surface is painted, so it can get scratched. If I'd had my wits about me I would have covered it with tape before surgery.

billmag
August 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Do you know how to install a correct external speaker jack? One that turns off the internal when an external is plugged in or maybe both internal AND external with an on-off switch?

I found this on another forum that I was following regarding external speaker connectivity (http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72865).

Haven't tried it myself but it looks like a good place to start. Hope it helps out.:razz:

dqami
August 7th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Has anyone tried the Bitmo mod? Curious to hear how they like it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BITMO-EXCELERANT-MOD-KIT-for-Fender-Pawn-Shop-Excelsior-Amp-/130744085723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e70f46cdb

Sune Andersson
August 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I found this on another forum that I was following regarding external speaker connectivity (http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72865).

Haven't tried it myself but it looks like a good place to start. Hope it helps out.:razz:

I started that thread and drew that schematic but I feel a bit insecure if it is functioning...
I would like to add the possibility to have both the internal & external speaker working together too... 8 Ohms both...

Sune Andersson
August 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Has anyone tried the Bitmo mod? Curious to hear how they like it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BITMO-EXCELERANT-MOD-KIT-for-Fender-Pawn-Shop-Excelsior-Amp-/130744085723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e70f46cdb

Would you pay 25 dollars for an unopened kit that the seller donīt tell what it contains?
Well, I wouldnīt...
Or is it just me who can't see what he is offering except a BITMO EXCELERANT MOD KIT? :rolleyes:

t-luxe
August 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the gut shots, Prairie Dawg! I havenīt opened up mine yet, but I will you can be sure... :-)
Is there a chance you can show us how you exactly did with the tone control... and be honest... does it do that much to the sound? Could you be without it? You know I kind of like the little switch... it is so Lo-Fi...

If you like the switch, stay with it. I put a tone pot in mine but I could've lived with the stock switch, especially as it gets better as things break in.
Also, installing a tone pot will probably void the warranty.

Anyway, here's how I did mine:(from another post in this thread)

There's two black screws holding the chassis thru the top of the cab. Once they're out, you can just flip the chassis over and set it on something, leaving the umbilical cord attached. Remove the 5 small screws on top of the the chassis cover, and just loosen the 2 on the sides,and remove the cover. Mark the center yellow wire on the switch and un-solder the wires from the switch. They're pretty short already so don't just cut them off. You'll have to file out the hole where the switch was a bit.
Solder the marked yellow wire to the center lug on the pot, the green goes to the left lug and the un-marked yellow to the right( looking at the pot from the rear). I filled the screw holes with a couple of clear plastic rivets 'cause I'm too lazy to fabricate a cover plate. Put it all back together and your good to go.

SockPuppetMasta
August 8th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I'm in.
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/549656_10151111440219587_1607395567_n.jpg

No rattles in mine.
Been putting it through its paces with my Rick 325 copy, LP and Tele nearly all day.
It's got some seriously tasty hoodoo going on that's for sure and things always get better when the speaker starts breaking in.
She's a keeper.

jgat
August 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Not understanding why folks are mentioning needing an on/off switch for the trem... On/off is a click, all the way counter-clockwise...

jgat
August 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Add one more pedal and you can just throw the amp away and play through a cardboard box.

Sune Andersson
August 8th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Add one more pedal and you can just throw the amp away and play through a cardboard box.

Why use an electric guitar? Go acoustic. Seriously, pedals can be fun and good guitar and an amp too... and I hope we all play because we like it, right?

:smile:

Satchmo
August 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Why use an electric guitar? Go acoustic. Seriously, pedals can be fun and good guitar and an amp too... and I hope we all play because we like it, right? :smile:

Well put, Sune.

I don't use any pedals but I don't feel compelled to denigrate those who do. I'm finding my preferred tone and the pedal guys are finding theirs.

It's all good!

Sune Andersson
August 9th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks Satchmo!
You know the discussion we had about that jumper in the input jacks... tried it again, I can hear a small difference now, not big but I have kept it in...
but I prefer the jumper between the guitar and the mic input and pluggin' my guitar into accordion in... still don't get it...

Satchmo
August 9th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks Satchmo!
You know the discussion we had about that jumper in the input jacks... tried it again, I can hear a small difference now, not big but I have kept it in...
but I prefer the jumper between the guitar and the mic input and pluggin' my guitar into accordion in... still don't get it...

Glad you're hearing a little bit of difference. I'm using the tone switch on dark, amp volume at noon and adjust the guitar volume and tone till I hit a sweet spot. That seems to be the setting that shows the most improvement in tone.

I'm still plugging my Tele into the mic input but I'll give the accordion input another try to see how that sounds.

Understory
August 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I tried the Jumper as well, couldn't hear much of a difference, but what a cool suggestion - never even knew you could do that - so thank you for teaching me something there! I still have the original tubes - so maybe once those are switched it will be worth re-visiting. The exchange of information here is tremendously valuable - so thanks to all! And that includes pedals!! :)

Satchmo
August 9th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I tried the Jumper as well, couldn't hear much of a difference, but what a cool suggestion - never even knew you could do that - so thank you for teaching me something there! I still have the original tubes - so maybe once those are switched it will be worth re-visiting. The exchange of information here is tremendously valuable - so thanks to all! And that includes pedals!! :)

JJ 6V6s seem to be the tube of choice for most people. I put in Tung Sol 6V6s... Sune, I believe, has JJs in his Excelsior. That might be one reason why Sune and I have had different results from jumpering the inputs. My Tung Sols produced a sweeter tone than the stock tubes but the distortion of bass notes got worse with the Tung Sols. Jumpering the inputs removed that distortion. I think I'll order some JJs to see if they make a noticeable improvement. I'm happy with the tone I have now but different tubes might make it even better.

Pickups and other variables can make a huge difference as well. The tone of my Teles improved noticeably with the use of the jumpers but there was little change in the tone of my Strat.

Trying the jumpers only takes a few seconds. If it doesn't work out well, just pull the cable out. We're still waiting for someone with technical knowledge to explain if the jumpering is actually doing something beneficial or if it's just snake oil. In my case, it made a dramatic improvement.

Sune Andersson
August 10th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Satchmo was right, I have JJ's in all places and I am very pleased with the sound... it is loud too... my fellow bandmate playing a Blues Junior asked me to turn it down yesterday because he couldnīt hear himself... :-) I was at 11 o'clock on my volume pot.

The tone is not what I would call sweet, not harsh like with the original China tubes, more classic raw tube amp from the 60ties 70ties. I can't explain it better sorry, bu I love the sound, especially when using the trem at 12 o'clock speed...

The thing that intriegs me is how different guitars gets so different sounds in this amp. I know that there is differencies between, humbuckers and single coils, strat's, tele's, le paul's etc... but I believe that this amp picks out the differencies better that most other amps I have tried out... both tube amps and solid states... Maybe it is because of the simple tone control, that donīt allow you to fumble around on your amp to set a sound?

SockPuppetMasta
August 10th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Been playing mine for the last few days at high volume constantly and some of the harshness(on the bright setting) is starting to die down. :cool:
Getting some great early Fogerty tones out of it.
Hit a cover of Ramble Tamble that left me smiling like a fool.

Taking mine to a gig tonight.
Don't usually take new gear to a show, until I've gotten everything about it dialed into my noggin, but with 2 knobs and 1 switch, adjusting on the fly doesn't seem so bad.
While I always take a backup I suspect that running the Excelsior, Slapback, and Boost is all I need.

Wyzsard
August 10th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Been playing mine for the last few days at high volume constantly and some of the harshness(on the bright setting) is starting to die down. :cool:
Getting some great early Fogerty tones out of it.
Hit a cover of Ramble Tamble that left me smiling like a fool.

Taking mine to a gig tonight.
Don't usually take new gear to a show, until I've gotten everything about it dialed into my noggin, but with 2 knobs and 1 switch, adjusting on the fly doesn't seem so bad.
While I always take a backup I suspect that running the Excelsior, Slapback, and Boost is all I need.

Good deal. Let us know how it performs in a gig situation.

SockPuppetMasta
August 11th, 2012, 03:18 AM
1st gig with Excelsior Report:
Chain: Guitar - Vyagra Boost - Cusack Delay - Excelsior
Amp: Mic'd
Input: Guitar

Opened up with a cover of a cover: CCR - Good Golly Miss Molly
From the opening notes I Immediately knew it was gonna be great night
It push's air and cuts through like a cold breeze.
I find my self soloing a lot more on the low strings as the 15 doesn't fart out like some of my other amps do.

The amp really hit it's stride when we did our first Petty cover of the night,
from then on I had it dialed in perfectly with the right mix of clean and grit.
A lot of people coming up to have a look at it too apparently its a "Very Pretty" amp :lol:

Please let me refrain: She's keeper. :smile:

Wyzsard
August 11th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the recap.

MontrealTele
August 11th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Gigged with it last weekend in a duo situation. Excellent results. Very nice for slide with a Holy Grail reverb pedal. Nice natural compression. This amp doesn't seem to get muddy at any volume. Beautiful with my standard Tele and my Les Paul Jr. I will try with a drummer this week...
Btw, the rattle I have is definitely coming from the V1 housing. Therefore totally fixable.

Rodi
August 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Just bought one at guitar center (they have 50 bux off this weekend off of stuff over 299.00.) The guitar I got won't be in until Tuesday, but if it is a dud, I'll return it swiftly.

I'm getting really excited, my reentry into music, this time it will be good.

Satchmo
August 12th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I put a pair of JJ 6V6s in my excelsior tonight and they made a dramatic difference. The low end is tight now. I recommend JJs for anybody who is contemplating a tube change.

I previously was running a pair of Tung Sols that sweetened the tone but exacerbated the low end fuzz. I tamed that by plugging the guitar into the mic input and jumpering the other two input channels.

When Sune and I had different results with jumpering, I had a hunch our tubes of choice might have made the difference. My suspicions were correct. With the JJs, jumpering the inputs has little effect and isn't necessary.

A big "Thank You" to Sune, BillM and the other JJ users. I shoulda heeded your advice sooner. :wink:

Sune Andersson
August 12th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Interesting Satchmo! You are the first that I have read that has tested both Tung Sol and JJ 6V6's. Glad to see that I wasnīt totally out of my head, when I couldn't hear too much difference with the jumper cable.
Do you have JJ ECC83S's as preamp tubes? The sound so good in my amp...

Satchmo
August 12th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Do you have JJ ECC83S's as preamp tubes? The sound so good in my amp...

I'm running a Sovtek 5751 and a TAD 7025 WA in the preamp section. They sound great.

I do have an ECC83S on hand so maybe I'll plug that in to experiment.

Wyzsard
August 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Gigged with it last weekend in a duo situation. Excellent results. Very nice for slide with a Holy Grail reverb pedal. Nice natural compression. This amp doesn't seem to get muddy at any volume. Beautiful with my standard Tele and my Les Paul Jr. I will try with a drummer this week...
Btw, the rattle I have is definitely coming from the V1 housing. Therefore totally fixable.

Let us know how it hangs with your drummer. :cool:

Just bought one at guitar center (they have 50 bux off this weekend off of stuff over 299.00.) The guitar I got won't be in until Tuesday, but if it is a dud, I'll return it swiftly.

I'm getting really excited, my reentry into music, this time it will be good.

Congrats ! Welcome to the club.

I put a pair of JJ 6V6s in my excelsior tonight and they made a dramatic difference. The low end is tight now. I recommend JJs for anybody who is contemplating a tube change.

I previously was running a pair of Tung Sols that sweetened the tone but exacerbated the low end fuzz. I tamed that by plugging the guitar into the mic input and jumpering the other two input channels.

When Sune and I had different results with jumpering, I had a hunch our tubes of choice might have made the difference. My suspicions were correct. With the JJs, jumpering the inputs has little effect and isn't necessary.

A big "Thank You" to Sune, BillM and the other JJ users. I shoulda heeded your advice sooner. :wink:

Thanks for the review there. I haven't ordered tubes yet, but I may go ahead and get JJ's and Tung Sol. I use a Barber Barb EQ with mine, and with it on, the stock tubes sound just fine. The bass end is very nice. Punchy/clean/woody sounding. May sound better with the JJ's ... we'll see.

Satchmo
August 13th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Nice demo of the Excelsior by Tim Lerch playing his Nocaster!

fJiKY3dbDrE

GopherTele
August 15th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Just joined the club.

First impressions with a Tele--Umm...yeah. Killer.

Wyzsard
August 20th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Just joined the club.

First impressions with a Tele--Umm...yeah. Killer.

Congrats .... been a few days now. Still diggin it ?

Understory
August 21st, 2012, 04:41 PM
How difficult is it to change out the knobs? I felt it best to ask for a change rather than just start wrenching on them first. (Huge strides for me there! Lol!!)

GopherTele
August 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Congrats .... been a few days now. Still diggin it ?

Yup.

The trem is really enjoyable--I leave it on a lot.

Vol is perfect for at home and I will see how it does on a gig here in a few weeks--it's a rockabilly thing with standup bass and no drums so I'm thinking it will be good.

Understory
August 21st, 2012, 07:44 PM
I initially swapped out the 6v6 tubes for Tung-Sols, however, I just wasn't getting the sound that alot of you had described and seemed to really like. I was considering selling the amp. I then decided to try the JJ's as most had suggested and done so here. WOW! Are you kidding me? The difference was astonishing to say the least! I surrender!! :) and I have yet to swap out the 12ax7's so thank you to all for sharing your path on this!!

t-luxe
August 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM
How difficult is it to change out the knobs? I felt it best to ask for a change rather than just start wrenching on them first. (Huge strides for me there! Lol!!)

Just gently wiggle it back and forth while you pull up on it with steady pressure. Mine came off pretty easy but it does take a little bit of force.

tele salivas
August 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM
Tim Lerch's demo is awesome. Finally ! I try to tell people this amp will give you a dirty kind of clean, letting how sharp your attack is control the breakup. And if you have a deft touch, you can get a really nice rubbery thing going that is not sterile or brittle like so many lower priced tube amps these days. I just put some JJ's in V1 and V2 and it does improve things a bit without losing the character at all. Going to do my power section next week.

Wyzsard
August 22nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Yup.

The trem is really enjoyable--I leave it on a lot.

Vol is perfect for at home and I will see how it does on a gig here in a few weeks--it's a rockabilly thing with standup bass and no drums so I'm thinking it will be good.

I'd say you'll have plenty of power then. Let us know how it goes !

Fuptele
August 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
My good buddy Dakota Dean just uploaded a demo of the Excelsior for harp and vocals:

m049Z9pc7M4

Ole Dakota got him some chops!

Prairie Dawg
August 22nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
The Exy circuit is quite similar to a 6G2 Princeton with the exception of fixed vs cathode bias and some changes in values. Well. Wouldn't you know it, a 1964 6G2 followed me home a week ago, and it sounds quite similar. I like the Exy better to tell you the truth, now that I installed a tone pot-more accurately it's a treble cut but never mind.

TNO
August 23rd, 2012, 01:14 AM
Got mine today, got MF to apply the $50 GC coupon. Mine had a buzz coming from the power amp. I pulled the chassis and found a very thick sheet of mylar stapled to the bottom of the cab. Replaced the mylar with aluminum foil tape. The rattle seemed to be coming from the power tubes. I took off the tube retainer clips and stuck a set of Tung Sols in and it seems to be much better tho I haven't been able to really crank it yet. Plugging into the accordian input and jumpering between the mic and guitar channels definitely sounds better, IMO. The weak point seems to be the speaker. It's pretty cardboardy sounding. I have a Magnovox 15" alnico organ pull coming in soon.

SureD
August 23rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
I got mine yesterday! Seems to be in perfect order... no rattle, hum or buzzes. Sounds heavenly with a tele on the dark setting. Also works really well with a Danelectro DC 59. I will have to get my dirt from pedals on this because it is loud!!! 9' o clock on the volume is about as loud as is tolerable in an apartment. Definately much more low-end than my vox AC15c1. Tremolo is leagues better than the Vox; this thing screams CCR!

Would an ECC81 (12ay7?) in V1 make a lot of difference volume wise?

kidmo
August 23rd, 2012, 09:00 AM
This thing is starting to give me GAS! Can any of you professionals care to say what amp this one closely resembles? It sounds very British and Fendery at the same time...

SureD
August 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hmmm, that is tricky since I do not know how I would have to describe archetypical Fender or British sound. My vox certainly has more bite, excelsior seems "mellower" (on 9 o clock that is... turning her up would involve an eviction notice I am afraid).

I was listening to a Johnny Cash record with early recordings (sun years). The excelsior with a slapback delay sounds pretty much what Luther Perkins had going on there, very direct, what you put in is what you get kind of sound.

eddiewagner
August 24th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Nice demo of the Excelsior by Tim Lerch playing his Nocaster!

fJiKY3dbDrE

^^^^^^^^^^
itīs not the amp, itīs the beerbottlestrapsavers. believe me!

kidmo
August 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hmmm, that is tricky since I do not know how I would have to describe archetypical Fender or British sound. My vox certainly has more bite, excelsior seems "mellower" (on 9 o clock that is... turning her up would involve an eviction notice I am afraid).

I was listening to a Johnny Cash record with early recordings (sun years). The excelsior with a slapback delay sounds pretty much what Luther Perkins had going on there, very direct, what you put in is what you get kind of sound.

Yes, it is difficult, I seem to hear the Fender side more in the break up and the British side in the cleans.

TNO
August 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I'd say it sounds like a 5C3 Pro crossed with a brown Princeton.

tele salivas
August 24th, 2012, 11:07 PM

That's a pretty good descriptor.

Wyzsard
August 25th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Found this pro review/info/performance ...

_Nv3i6HDvXw

That's Dave Wronski on guitar and here is what he had to say about it....

OK, folks... here's how it went down. When the organizer for the Fender booth at NAMM told me it would be great if I used a couple of the new Excelsior amps that only cost like $300.... I knew I better go there the day before and check to see if I could get any tone out of these. I thought maybe they would be a dark sounding dirt box, but was pleasantly surprised that, if not pushed too hard, they have a nice, big sound with lots of fidelity. In the video, I'm using two Excelsiors. They were loud enough that Dusty asked me to move the inside one away from him a bit. I used a reissue Fender Reverb Unit, tube Echoplex, with a special Mid-Bass cut box I have {cuts, actually time aligns 160hz to clean up the problematic frequency in any guitar amp}that allowed me to be a little bit louder, and cleaner, then, Y'd to the two Excelsiors.

The Vibrato is really great, two. A footswitch with a sync cable for a two amp setup would be cool. This amp looks great, and sounds good stock. People that demo it seem to want to push it into ZZ Top territory, but it worked for a Slacktone set without me being concerned about sound, and all was well. The video's sound is not that great, but maybe you can still get an idea.

I work for "F****r" but I'm giving my real opinion. YMMV
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/17217/?page=2

And a second post on the same thread...

Regarding the mid-bass cut box... For guitar, the cut frequency is 160hz, which is the first octave of the E string fundamental which is 80hz. 160hz is center of the "mud" sound. When this frequency is balanced/controlled in relation to the rest of the low freq., the sound cleans up, and the outcome is that you hear the really low freq., and you are able to turn the amp up in volume without the muddy sound. I've been told it actually time-aligns the 1st octave 160hz bump.

It's made by John Kinder, amp genius that I've worked with since the '70s.
http://www.kinder-instruments.com/midbasscut.htm

You can get a version for bass that controls 140hz. Pete Curry {Los Straightjackets} uses one of those frequently in his studio.

So, this is why I brought it for use with these low-powered amps. As another benefit, you can use it as a buffer so you can drive two amps using a "Y" adaptor. ~ dave
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/17217/?page=2

SureD
August 25th, 2012, 07:11 AM

Would that be in Luther Perkins territory? Just to calibrate my ear hahaha...

Just oredered new glass... JJ 6V6's a JJecc83 and a JJ5751 for the V1 position...

mike77rios
August 25th, 2012, 08:41 AM
SureD> why the ECC83 for V2 and the 5751 for V1? Why not two of one or the other?

SureD
August 25th, 2012, 10:50 AM
@mike: I understood that the V2 in the excelsior mainly deals with the tremolo and 'needs' a 12ax7 to operate properly. WIth the 5751 I am looking to tame the volume a little bit... if that works the 12ax7 is for V2, if I don't like the 5751 then I'll put the 12ax7 in V1 and leave the chinese 12ax7 in V2. In my ac15 I've replaced only the V1 and the el-84's with, jj tubes, the V2 and V3 are stock.

DavidP
August 25th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Ok, there's an Excelsior in the box on hold for me at a local store, but I'll have a limited return period on it.
I'm aware of reports of severe rattle issues (some tube-related, others more difficult/impossible to troubleshoot), as well as varying headroom, on some other forums but it seems to be a non-issue here... Any observations on issues that have surfaced after playing the amp for a while?
Thanks!

Sune Andersson
August 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM
No. And those issues mentioned by you (if they appear) will probably be gone when exchanging the chinese tubes for JJs...

tele salivas
August 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
The biggest thing for me is that the speaker breaks in nicely, which is especially noticeable at louder volumes. The "Bright" switch is a much better setting, and things are just a little "better" all the way around. The stock speaker is pretty good. My rattle issues went away after I tightened up the VI pre amp tube casing..just a little quarter twist. But, I couldn't help myself and eventually got some JJs ...a 12AY7 in VI and 12AX7 in V2 and this has helped keep things relatively clean at practice levels for my pedal steel as well as making the Excelsior sound better overall. I like this amp enough to not mind selling my Princeton RI, which allowed me the funds to enter the wonderful world of pedal steel. Now I am going to be selling all sorts of six string stuff, but the Excelsior stays.

bargoedboy
August 28th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Well i have done 3 gigs in a row with mine, and the band loves it as much as me. No issues so far with rattles, but I have already marked the vinyl in quite a few places. I am seriously thinking of getting another and modding it with new tubes and speaker but also recovering in tweed. :cool:

Satchmo
August 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I am seriously thinking of getting another and modding it with new tubes and speaker but also recovering in tweed. :cool:

BillM said that he thinks Fender will eventually make some special runs of the Excelsior with different coverings. If they make a tweed version, I'd be very tempted to get one.

I wouldn't be willing to part with my current Excelsior so I'd have to convince myself that I'd need two of them. That would be totally illogical and irrational for my situation.

So.... of course, I'd buy a tweed Excelsior without batting an eye. :grin:

tele salivas
August 28th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Me too Satchmo, me too.

Wait! Of course we need two Excelsiors! One to keep on Bright, and the other on Dark at the same time. Duh!

zippie
August 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM
hey folks,

i was wondering if anyone has used their excelsior with a vocal mic and guitar at the
same time. i am thinking of getting one to use for small solo gigs with my gretsch archtop
with a floater and my squire tele. i play mostly 30s and 40s tunes....chunka chunka ryhthm
and some vocals. seems like the ex. would be a good fit...old school vibe...kinda rough.

thanks for any input!

slotrod65
August 28th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I joined the club yesterday. Here is my NAD / NGD post:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/347273-new-tele-amp-day-deal-city.html#post4407445

I have a pile of vintage tubes and plan on doing some tube tasting tomorrow. I also ordered a set of 6V6 JJs based on BillM's review.

I am really loving this amp so far, and have found this club thread to be invaluable.

Thanks guys!

t-luxe
August 29th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Me too Satchmo, me too.

Wait! Of course we need two Excelsiors! One to keep on Bright, and the other on Dark at the same time. Duh!

That's right!
No need to do the tone control mod!
Genius!

SureD
August 29th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I retubed the excelsior...all jj's. Put a 12at7 (ecc81) in V1 and a 12ax7 in V2. I ordered a 5751 as well, but didn't like it in both V1 or V2. Seems to emphasise some nasty frequencies. Put 6v6's in... tighter low end, clearer sound definately. I now have 50% of the volume knob to work with instead of 25%.

One downside: MAJOR rattle from the 6v6's... high frequency ring (like a slinky spring) on certain frequencies. Seems to be tamed by touching the bottom chassis just under the power tubes. It didn't do this before, so must be the tubes. Thought it was something in the chassis, lifted it but can't find anything that rattles...sounds like typical tube microphonics as well...

tele salivas
August 30th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Two Excelsiors!

_Nv3i6HDvXw

Wyzsard
August 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM
So, what amp would go well with the Excelsior ? My Peavey Delta Blues sounds good with it, But I'm wanting a lighter amp and one with closer to the same wattage as the Excelsior.

All ears here. Even ss recommendations welcome.

TNO
August 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I removed the tube grippers from the 6V6 sockets and with a set of Tung Sol reissues it doesn't rattle.

Wyzsard
August 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I removed the tube grippers from the 6V6 sockets and with a set of Tung Sol reissues it doesn't rattle.

Did you try the Tung Sols before you removed the grippers ?

Understory
August 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Would a boost pedal help to get some better gain at a lower level out of the Excelsior? Any recommendations?

SureD
August 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM

Hmmm I just pried the tube cage back on (that top screw is a pain in the behind) and my screwdriver eats those screws alive...

I gaffer-taped the bottom of chassis to the cab, which at least keeps the chassis from joining in the rattle-fest, and I have decided to live with the rattle... Tone wise the jj's are a huge improvement...I really love the amp!

I'll try some other 6v6's in the future, did anybody use TAD's?

Understory
August 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM
New knobs. Went with the Vintage browns. (You can buy them single - rather than a six pack - thru AmplifiedParts.com)

rbro
August 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
So, what amp would go well with the Excelsior ? My Peavey Delta Blues sounds good with it, But I'm wanting a lighter amp and one with closer to the same wattage as the Excelsior.

I've had really good luck with my SuperchampXD and a Vox VT20+. Run in stereo with the tremolo on slow and a bit of delay in the other amp. Very satisfying sound.

rbro

daveyboy
August 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I've had really good luck with my SuperchampXD and a Vox VT20+. Run in stereo with the tremolo on slow and a bit of delay in the other amp. Very satisfying sound.

rbro

To me the obvious choice would be a blues Jr. a pro Jr. or a 65 Princeton reverb if you have the extra cash.
Both are 15 watts and great little light weight amps.

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/limited-edition-65-princeton-reverb-surf-tone-green-fsr

Wyzsard
August 31st, 2012, 02:25 AM

rbro

To me the obvious choice would be a blues Jr. a pro Jr. or a 65 Princeton reverb if you have the extra cash.
Both are 15 watts and great little light weight amps.

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/limited-edition-65-princeton-reverb-surf-tone-green-fsr

Ah, both of you mentioned amps I've considered. I've played and like the Pro Jr and have been wanting to check out the SC XD.

Wyzsard
August 31st, 2012, 02:29 AM
Would a boost pedal help to get some better gain at a lower level out of the Excelsior? Any recommendations?

A high headroom boost will.

Here is Mr Barber's method..

Here is a tone recipe that works well with most tube amps, this will help improve both clean and overdriven tones and is just in time for the season...your family and friends will love it!

You will need a Barber Launch Pad or other extremely high headroom and uncolored clean boost and a tube amp that has a preamp tube right after the input (nearly all tube amps work this way).

In this case we are going to use the LP as a input trim (ala mixing desk) or as a "tube cooker" to get the most out of your guitars output and maximize gain staging at the input. Plug in your effects chain as normal, with the exception of placing the LP last in the chain. Set the LP Vol + on maximum, set your amp to a fairly low volume clean sound (as in "dead clean") , now footswitch your LP to "on" and start playing clean rhythm on your guitar, use your ear to set the sensitivity of your LP as you play, the idea here is to listen for the amp starting to break up as you are playing your standard rhythm style, when you find the "break up point" back off slightly on the sensitivity until you have the desired clean sound.

Congratulations, you have just set your guitars output for maximized gain staging with your amplifier. After you have the first preamp tube better matched to your guitar, you will need to set your amps volume control a bit lower in most cases and simply set any other effects that come before your LP to their unity gain output position. If your amp has a bright cap permanently attached (deluxe reverb), you could experience some extra top end because of your relatively lower volume settings, the best option here is to “clip out” that offensive bright cap, and most amps will have a bright switch which means you can simply turn that cap off.....
http://www.tpngear.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=169

Understory
August 31st, 2012, 03:35 PM
THANKS Wyzsard!!!!!!!!!!

Sune Andersson
September 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM
This week I bought me another little amp... I just could resist the new Orange Micro Terror... for 160 US dollar...
I took it to the studio and daisy chained it with my Fender Excelsior.
The guitar in the Excelsior guitar input and another cable from the Accordion input to the Micro Terror Input.
The bottom from the Excelsior and a clean tone with tremolo combined with the gain trough that 8" speaker in the PPC108 cabinet... so cool!
Then I hooked on a 4x12 Laney cab to it and that sound could kill!!!
Wish I could play good enough to demo that sound to you...

For those who havenīt seen this Micro Terror...
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/SuneAndersson/microterror.jpg

This is a perfect match I think! I bet it will cut through even with a hard beating drummer... at least when in rehearsal... you can always mic it up on stage if needed...

mike77rios
September 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
What is more desirable: matched JJ 6V6 new or matched JJ 6V6 new, "burned-in" tubes? Price difference on Amazon is $2.50 for the burned in ones....

Iceman
September 4th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Put 'em in, turn the amp on, let run 30 minutes...burned in! Plug and play.

jdaunt
September 4th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Love mine paired with my SCXD. I run the Excelsior volume up at about 3 o'clock, so breaking up nicely by that point, and the SCXD on Voice 4 turned up pretty high-but it's still clean. So gives a nice clean/dirty mix.

slotrod65
September 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I popped in a couple of meaty JJ 6V6s, and an NOS Sylvania 12AX7. I am very pleased with the sound. I am still chasing down a rattle though...

timinator
September 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM
hey all -- just thought I'd share my recent Excelsior experience. I actually am on my fourth one, I bought and returned three last month at GC, all had the exact same rattle problem when playing any kind of D, especially in the middle of the neck. way weird. I had taken the first one apart to try to find the source, tightened every screw I could find, changed all the tube, removed the tube cage, added weather stripping, etc but to no avail. So I gave up .... but then I ordered another one last week and picked it up yesterday. Played it in the store - it rattled - but I decided to take it home and see if I could defeat the gremlin this time. After a some careful listening and touching, I focused in on the output transformer. By installing some rubber washers under the metal tabs where the OT is attached to the lower chassis, I was able to eliminate most of the rattle. I need to do more testing, but seems tolerable now. I know folks have had success killing rattles and buzzes using other solutions, but this one seems to work for the "D rattle". Worth a try if someone has had no luck with other solutions, and has made me a happy camper, this is a way cool little amp for very little money.

Satchmo
September 6th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Worth a try if someone has had no luck with other solutions, and has made me a happy camper, this is a way cool little amp for very little money.

Welcome to the TDPRI.

I've been following your thread on the other forum. I'm glad to hear that you may have found a solution to your rattle problem. Thanks for sharing your discovery with us.

I haven't had any rattles from my Exclesior but I'm thinking that those who have suffered that affliction might be using guitars with pickups that might trigger the rattles more readily than what I'm playing.

Did you get a rattle with single coils, humbuckers, P90s or all of the above?

Wyzsard
September 7th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Love mine paired with my SCXD. I run the Excelsior volume up at about 3 o'clock, so breaking up nicely by that point, and the SCXD on Voice 4 turned up pretty high-but it's still clean. So gives a nice clean/dirty mix.

Thanks,
I may have to take a closer look at the SCXD.

daveyboy
September 20th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I have been using a couple of Gibson guitars with my Excelsior.I have an ES-175 (classic 57 hum buckers) and an SG standard (490r and 498t). It breaks up so early with the sg I've got a lower breakup preamp tube on order and I'm going to likely switch the pickups for single coils (p94s).
I love the amp but one knob really shows the pickup character!

slotrod65
September 21st, 2012, 08:00 AM
I have been working on the rattle in my Excelsior over the past few weeks. I l also love old Danelectro amps, and it is pretty obvious that someone at Fender was channeling Nat Daniels when they designed this. The input/preamp/controls up top and transformers/power section at the bottom are an old Danelectro trademark. The Excelsior really reminds me of my Danelectro made Airline 9003:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/slotrod65/Airline9003506.jpg

The Excelsior sounded great in the store when I played a Tele through it, and I just had to have it. However, over the next few days, it began to rattle. I looked this up online and found this to be a common issues with them, so I have been following several threads and today I decided to try all the changes and get rid of the rattle in one fell swoop:

1) removed the tube cage and the pre-amp covers.
2) tightened all screws,
3) popped in a nice NOS Sylvania 12AX7a and a pair of matched JJ 6V6GTs.

The amp sounded better, but I still had that rattle.

So... I took it apart and:

1) I was flabbergasted to see the flippety-floppety shielding under the lower chassis. I ripped it out and replaced it with copper shielding tape.
2) added rubber grommets between the OT and the chassis.
3) added 1/4" foam rubber between the upper chassis halves.
4) replaced the too small rubber padding between the upper chassis and the cab.

I fired it up and it sounds way better. I am still not so happy with the stock speaker,. I believe I will take Bill M's advice and go with an Eminence Legend 1518. Here are some pics:

First two show the awful stock shielding. It was poorly glued down in some areas, and other areas were poorly stapled. The shielding was loose and just a mess. What were they thinking?

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/slotrod65/003-11.jpg

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/slotrod65/004-9.jpg

Here is the new copper tape shielding:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/slotrod65/014-6.jpg

and a few pics of the upper chassis foam:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/slotrod65/008-11.jpg

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/slotrod65/012-3.jpg

Finally, the foam between the upper chassis and cab was replaced. here is the squashed flat stock foam:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/slotrod65/007-12.jpg

I also do not like the knobs. The whole amp exudes character, but the knobs are awful. I bought some vintage brown radio knobs on ebay, and will post when I get them.

bargoedboy
September 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Not sure if Fender copied Danelectro but the early Tweeds were done with power amp and stuff at bottom and controls at top as well.

bargoedboy
September 22nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
in fact the bassman was done that way:wink:

Wyzsard
September 22nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
As was this Sano with a 15"

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256/hwjennings1/sanoquickies004.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256/hwjennings1/Sano%20Amp/crateamp183.jpg

DavidP
September 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I'll be picking my Excelsior up in a couple weeks and want to get a cover for it before the rainy season hits (driest Sept. on record out here!). Fender does make a cover for it (part # 009-0950-000) but any pic I see of it for sale is a the same stock one ( see http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ExcelsiorCover) and it doesn't appear to have a top handle cutout...

Has anyone got one of these? If so please confirm this does indeed have a handle cutout (I'd be stunned if it doesn't but hey, its a 'pawnshop special' right, so maybe anything goes on top of it!)

Understory
October 2nd, 2012, 12:47 AM
So, exactly how & why do you run amps "together" - in stereo. Dumb question, I know, but enlighten the newcomer!

rbro
October 2nd, 2012, 02:18 AM
See if you can borrow a stereo chorus and use it with 2 amps together. That should give you the "why". At its simplest, you can plug into an Excelsior's guitar input, and come out the "Accordian" or "Mic" into a second amp. Keep both amps on the same outlet to minimize hum. Also turn on the Tremolo on the Excelsior.

rbro

Understory
October 2nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
How cool! Learn something here every time I log on! Would the results be the same as - or similar - plugging into an ext cab?

rbro
October 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
"Would the results be the same as - or similar - plugging into an ext cab?"

Not even close!

rbro

mike77rios
October 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM
the guitar player in the band I play bass in burned out his amp last week.I'm going to let him try my modded "Exy" this afternoon, will report tomorrow on how it performs.

tele salivas
October 14th, 2012, 04:50 AM
the guitar player in the band I play bass in burned out his amp last week.I'm going to let him try my modded "Exy" this afternoon, will report tomorrow on how it performs.

Hey Mike R., How'd it go?

mike77rios
October 14th, 2012, 06:15 AM
all I can say is: "Damn!" My wife got a new drum kit last week and we had our drummer come over and tune it yesterday before band practice, I took advantage and plugged in my modded Gretsch (hot nashville in the bridge and surf90 in the neck) and wow, at volume (ie 12 oclock +) the amp was very dynamic! I mean the amp was alive, if played softly, it was crystal clear. But attacked, the amp growled like it had a distortion pedal! I LOVE THIS Amp! it kept up with the drummer nicely! No rattles or "D" note resonance. At practice, the amp just kicked a$$ through the variety of songs we do and both my guitarists fell in love with this little wonder! This was the first time this amp was used in anger and boy did it perform! Have I mentioned that I LOVE THIS AMP?

mike77rios
October 14th, 2012, 06:17 AM
By the way, it still has its original tubes and speaker the only mod I've done is the tone knob.

sacrificetravis
October 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM
how do you do the tone knob mod? is there any directions anywhere?

t-luxe
October 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Here's how I did mine(from another thread here at TDPRI.).

Quote:
Pretty easy. There's two black screws holding the chassis thru the top of the cab. Once they're out, you can just flip the chassis over and set it on something, leaving the umbilical cord attached. Remove the 5 small screws on top of the the chassis cover, and just loosen the 2 on the sides,and remove the cover. Mark the center yellow wire on the switch and un-solder the wires from the switch. They're pretty short already so don't just cut them off. You'll have to file out the hole where the switch was a bit.
Solder the marked yellow wire to the center lug on the pot, the green goes to the left lug and the un-marked yellow to the right( looking at the pot from the rear, lugs up). I filled the screw holes with a couple of clear plastic rivets 'cause I'm too lazy to fabricate a cover plate. Put it all back together and your good to go.

src9000
October 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The two GCs near me are out of stock. I was hoping to pick one up this weekend.

sacrificetravis
October 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Here's how I did mine(from another thread here at TDPRI.).

Quote:
Pretty easy. There's two black screws holding the chassis thru the top of the cab. Once they're out, you can just flip the chassis over and set it on something, leaving the umbilical cord attached. Remove the 5 small screws on top of the the chassis cover, and just loosen the 2 on the sides,and remove the cover. Mark the center yellow wire on the switch and un-solder the wires from the switch. They're pretty short already so don't just cut them off. You'll have to file out the hole where the switch was a bit.
Solder the marked yellow wire to the center lug on the pot, the green goes to the left lug and the un-marked yellow to the right( looking at the pot from the rear, lugs up). I filled the screw holes with a couple of clear plastic rivets 'cause I'm too lazy to fabricate a cover plate. Put it all back together and your good to go.

Thanks man

tele salivas
October 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
The two GCs near me are out of stock. I was hoping to pick one up this weekend.

They are out of stock all over again in quite a few places. It seems that this thing sells in surges. Just a couple weeks ago it seemed like there were plenty, like they were gathering dust and the party was over and then BAM! Sweetwater's even out. I am wanting a second one.:mrgreen:

src9000
October 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
They are out of stock all over again in quite a few places. It seems that this thing sells in surges. Just a couple weeks ago it seemed like there were plenty, like they were gathering dust and the party was over and then BAM! Sweetwater's even out. I am wanting a second one.:mrgreen:

I'm glad you are in Tulsa. I hope I won't jones for a second.

mike77rios
October 16th, 2012, 06:21 AM
You know, getting a second one doesnt seem like a bad idea, would look pretty cool too, I'm still all excited about how responsive it is.

RockerDuck
October 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I picked the Excelsior up this afternoon. GC had just gotten one and I bought it. So they are out of stock again. I believe the price will go up quick as there is not any competition for a tube amp in this price range for all you get.

kirkw101
October 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I've had mine a bit more than a month now. Still stock. My OC Duff pups sound soo good thru this amp. just a splash of that tremolo and I can do anything!!

I can see the need for a speaker upgrade. Higher volume and it does get a bit mushy. I dont go there much but it would be nice. My wife lets me keep in the living room by the love seat because it matches our leather just perfectly. Also she thinks the "E" looks very cool.

tele salivas
October 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm glad you are in Tulsa. I hope I won't jones for a second.

:lol:

I really like using the Excelsior in stereo with my other amps, has gotten me hooked on that sound. I am thinking that not only will another Excelsior provide a little more presence in a band mix, but will allow me to balance out the Bright and Dark situation to my liking. Plus , it will look :cool:, if your into that sort of thing.

I agree Mike R. this amp is truly responsive. For pedal steel that works really nicely using the volume pedal, easing into that gain for expressive effect and sustain.

tele salivas
October 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I can see the need for a speaker upgrade. Higher volume and it does get a bit mushy. I dont go there much but it would be nice. My wife lets me keep in the living room by the love seat because it matches our leather just perfectly. Also she thinks the "E" looks very cool.

I am thinking Peavey Black Widow if I get another one, and leave my current one relatively stock. Though I do have a 5751 in V1 for a bit more headroom. I have a pedal steel and the Excelsior set up in our living room by the fireplace. My wife's grandparents used to own a fine furniture store and we have some great stuff from the 60's and 70's in there. The Excelsior fits right in.

sacrificetravis
October 18th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Does it matter what kind of pot I use for the tone knob mod?

Sent from my Droid using TDPRI

tele salivas
October 19th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Here you go....
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/323287-inside-fenders-excelsior.html

drdos
October 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty excited. I just scored 2 GE 6v6GT's off the Bay for $11. These will replace the EH 6V6's in my Excelsior right now. Not that I didn't love the sound of the EH 6V6, but I couldn't pass up this deal... Cheers

t-luxe
October 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM

I used a 500KA audio taper pot originally purchased for a guitar volume/tone control mod I never did. You might want to get some extra washers to put behind the chassis so the pot doesn't stick up higher than the other knobs(mine did).

tele salivas
October 20th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty excited. I just scored 2 GE 6v6GT's off the Bay for $11. These will replace the EH 6V6's in my Excelsior right now. Not that I didn't love the sound of the EH 6V6, but I couldn't pass up this deal... Cheers

Score!

mr.danny
October 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Here's an Excelsior I would keep.
http://gearhawk.tumblr.com/post/33519809989/excelsior-americana-stereo-reverb-amplifier

mr.danny
October 22nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
If any of you guys are fed up with the not very well-regarded (ie: nasal, honky, collapses when you turn the amp up) Eminence speaker in your Excelsior, see the classifieds where I've got an ad for a JBL D130F vintage speaker made for Fender in the early sixties, and for a Jensen P15N from '59 which would also be ideal. Thanks!

http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=32363

http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=32335&title=jensen-1959-p15n-smooth-cone-15-26quot-3b&cat=32

Wyzsard
October 22nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Here's an Excelsior I would keep.
http://gearhawk.tumblr.com/post/33519809989/excelsior-americana-stereo-reverb-amplifier

:wink:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/323773-excelsior-vibe.html

tele salivas
October 25th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Personally, I like the stock speaker. Once its broken in good and proper, the speaker sounds pretty good and is stable. I do like using extension cabs on amps like this,though; especially with different sizes like 2x 10" or a 12". That way you can switch between sounds easily enough. Anybody using an extension cab, and if so what configuration?

steve v
October 25th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I have a 1 x 12" pine cab with a V30 and it sounds great. Similar in tone with regard to midrange presence but more smooth and musical

Prairie Dawg
October 29th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Just as a point of information Professional Music in Clive, Iowa has one, if you're near there.

tele salivas
October 30th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Went back to 12AY7 in V1 since I play pedal steel more than 6 string now, and pedal steel likes cleaner sounding amps. I got an Electro Harmonix this time , and I am really happy with this for the 12AY7, the 12 AX7 not so much. I thought it was too harsh, butthwith the 12AY7 it's great!

Understory
October 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Clive, IA. My old stompin' grounds. (Des Moines). If I ever move back to the Midwest - I'm headed back there! :)

tele salivas
October 30th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Looks like some places are not going to be stocking them again, so good to know there are little pockets to search out if, and when, the need arises.

tele salivas
November 4th, 2012, 06:22 AM
This is the first time I've used Electro Harmonix tubes. Used to get NOS but people are much more hip now, or they are not as plentiful. Whatever the case, the EH 12AY7 sounds really good. Very quiet in the background, and a good sounding warm presence working with stock AX7 in V2 and JJs in the power.

Prairie Dawg
November 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Clive, IA. My old stompin' grounds. (Des Moines). If I ever move back to the Midwest - I'm headed back there! :)

Come back. All is forgiven. Your tenderloin is waiting at Smitty's.:lol:

Sune Andersson
November 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
A month ago my eyes found some new Chinese micro pedals "Mooer"... I wanted to get me a cheap reverb pedal and thought I could do with their ShimVerb.
When I came to my local music store it was sold out. But I tried the other pedals and went home with a Mooer Green Mile, a great (little) Tube Screamer clone. Sounded super together with my Excelsior.
I started to look for other Mooer pedals and found 36 (!!!) different ones!
I ordered 4 pedals, Ana Echo (Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay clone), Pure Boost (Xotic RC Booster clone) and these two I have tried out this weekend. I am still waiting for a Reecho (BOSS DD-2 Digital Delay clone) and a Cruncher (MI Audio Crunch Box Clone).

So far the most exciting thing is how the Pure Boost really can lift the sound in my Excelsior! I donīt need to mod the tone control, this stompbox is the only thing I needed. And for a price of 45 US $/pedal!!! I recommend you all to take a look for those great micro pedals!

SureD
November 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I retubed mine again... I had a JJ12at7 in V1 and JJ6v6s in her.. rattled like a mother...beautiful tone though. I now put in an EH12ay7 in V1 and Tung-Sol RI 6v6GT there was still a hint of rattle... changed the JJ 12ax7 in V2 for a Tung-Sol and now it is dead silent. Also a beautiful tone but more bluesy, less hifi than with the JJ's (ignoring the rattle of course).

Anyone seen the baby blue and cream FSR excelsiors yet?

For reverb I am ogling a boss FRV-1...any experiences with that combo?

sacrificetravis
November 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I retubed mine again... I had a JJ12at7 in V1 and JJ6v6s in her.. rattled like a mother...beautiful tone though. I now put in an EH12ay7 in V1 and Tung-Sol RI 6v6GT there was still a hint of rattle... changed the JJ 12ax7 in V2 for a Tung-Sol and now it is dead silent. Also a beautiful tone but more bluesy, less hifi than with the JJ's (ignoring the rattle of course).

Anyone seen the baby blue and cream FSR excelsiors yet?

For reverb I am ogling a boss FRV-1...any experiences with that combo?

Just saw the blonde... gives me some GAS

Hear my train a'comin

bargoedboy
November 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I have not done a thing to mine yet apart from gig it !
It works for me, but I did take a different guitar as well as Esquire the other night, a Burny 335, and the tone control, was too bright or too bassy.
I was thinking instead of a tone control, having a different cap on bright side of switch, so its dark and normal, as opposed to dark and slice your face off bright !:rolleyes:

tele salivas
November 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM

:grin:

tele salivas
November 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
:mrgreen:

Understory
November 14th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Oh wow. That is kind of putrid.

Sune Andersson
November 14th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Are they for real? The Baby Blue and the beige? Or just Photoshop dreams? Would love a beige... or a baby blue... or... both... (gas)

Prairie Dawg
November 14th, 2012, 11:31 AM
A month ago my eyes found some new Chinese micro pedals "Mooer"... I wanted to get me a cheap reverb pedal and thought I could do with their ShimVerb.
When I came to my local music store it was sold out. But I tried the other pedals and went home with a Mooer Green Mile, a great (little) Tube Screamer clone. Sounded super together with my Excelsior.
I started to look for other Mooer pedals and found 36 (!!!) different ones!
I ordered 4 pedals, Ana Echo (Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay clone), Pure Boost (Xotic RC Booster clone) and these two I have tried out this weekend. I am still waiting for a Reecho (BOSS DD-2 Digital Delay clone) and a Cruncher (MI Audio Crunch Box Clone).

So far the most exciting thing is how the Pure Boost really can lift the sound in my Excelsior! I donīt need to mod the tone control, this stompbox is the only thing I needed. And for a price of 45 US $/pedal!!! I recommend you all to take a look for those great micro pedals!

Here on the prairie a mooer has four legs and a calf.:wink:

craigjtmp
November 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM
We did an Amp Shootout between a vintage Excelsior against the New Fender Excelsior, we plan to do more videos like this...hope you like it! : )

http://youtu.be/tW5mTlpdqH4

Wyzsard
November 15th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Are they for real? The Baby Blue and the beige? Or just Photoshop dreams? Would love a beige... or a baby blue... or... both... (gas)

Looks like they are available in the UK already.

src9000
November 15th, 2012, 01:17 AM

I know what you mean. And I just brought home a plain old brown one.

mike77rios
November 15th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Tele, where'd ya find these ones?

tele salivas
November 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM
They are available in limited editions from oversees, England to be specific.
http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid26183/cid691/fender-fsr-excelsior-pro-tube-guitar-amp-in-baby-blue.asp

The word is that Fender had only planned for Excelsior to be sold this year only. Don't know if that is true or not, but I wonder if other colors will be available in the US before Exelsior ceases to be manufactured.

DavidP
November 16th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I'm seriously considering a 1518 speaker swap, but before I do -- given the 1518 has a more massive magnet and different frame design, are there any clearance/fit issues with the lower (and/or upper?) chassis when installing this?

folktheatre
November 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Here's a clip of me playing a Carl Perkins song through my Excelsior (out of site due to cramped conditions) with a classic 60s Tele at a party! I wasn't sure it was gonna be loud enough but it is, you just need to sound a while fiddling with tone. I think a different speaker is a great idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH03xpzhil8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Like www.Facebook.com/hailbails if you likey!

dragonfly66
November 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM
ahfiKh0qVYg

When inserting YouTube videos you only need to include the v= value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ahfiKh0qVYg

Click on http://www.tdpri.com/forum/images/editor/youtube.gif then put in the v= value in between the [YOUTUBE] markers, in your case it is, ahfiKh0qVYg.

t-luxe
November 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm seriously considering a 1518 speaker swap, but before I do -- given the 1518 has a more massive magnet and different frame design, are there any clearance/fit issues with the lower (and/or upper?) chassis when installing this?

IIRC, you'll have to remove both chassis to slide her in. Once in, it fts OK.

dragonfly66
November 16th, 2012, 12:55 PM

It does fit! The trade off is the weight. The amp is very heavy after the installation of the 1518. Many have said the stock speakers sounds better after break-in. I went back to the original speaker. While the 1518 was fine the heaviness of the amp made it much less appealing.

mike77rios
November 17th, 2012, 11:58 AM
dragonfly66 did the speaker swap make any tonal difference that you could hear? if so, which did you like better?

Wyzsard
November 21st, 2012, 02:09 AM
We did an Amp Shootout between a vintage Excelsior against the New Fender Excelsior, we plan to do more videos like this...hope you like it! : )

http://youtu.be/tW5mTlpdqH4

Thanks Craig ... I saw this on Strat - Talk when you posted it there.

Cool shootout guys, if you care to take a look.

tW5mTlpdqH4

mike77rios
November 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
not much of a sound difference , but, I did notice that he is plugged into the accordion input, I dont think he mentioned why....I also wonder how close they will sound after the new Exy's speaker is broken in...

mike77rios
November 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
By the way, does anyone know where to get the custom shop decal that the new Exy in the video has on the upper right corner?

Wyzsard
November 22nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
By the way, does anyone know where to get the custom shop decal that the new Exy in the video has on the upper right corner?

I noticed that too. My first thought was " is this a PTP hand wired version ? " :cool:

He probably just stuck it on there. Case candy from a CS guitar he has.

soulman969
November 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I played one of these for the first time Friday and I have to admit it has me intrigued. I would never have even given an amp like this a second though until I played my Nocaster through it. It does grab your attention doesn't it.

Like most everyone else I thought the dark side was a little too dark and the bright a little too shiny especially with a Tele and even with the tone rolled back some it just seemed to get "thinner" not less bright. So the idea of swapping that switch for a 500k pot to adjust the tonality somewhere in between makes a whole lot of sense and looks like even a novice like me could do it. If I can wire a guitar I should be able to handle this little mod too.

The info on the tube swaps was really helpful too and I thank those of you who took the time to experiment a little and post your results. It looks to me like a guy may be able to squeeze enough of a discount from the sellers to pay for that tube upgrade which if Fender only did that to begin with we'd all probably be happy to pay $300 for this little bugger. Sometimes I gotta shake my head at those guys. There are so many times when they leave the job just a little under done.

Better tubes should have been a given and single tone control wouldn't have ruined it's '50s vibe at all and it would have made it just a little more useful as is. Sometimes their fixation on hitting certain price points leaves them just short of ringing the bell. Fortunately those two upgrades aren't all that difficult or expensive to undertake but I'd still pursue a better discount to cover their costs.

One thing that intrigued me was the idea of pairing this at gigs with my Roland Cube and using that to cover the brighter end of the spectrum while playing the FE on the dark setting with a little reverb and delay cranked in. I'm just wondering how those two would pair up and whether or not they could cover a medium sized gig well enough as a second guitarist.

When you feed an output to a second amp through one of the other inputs how will that signal go to the second amp? With or without any effects you add to the first? If I'm adding overdrive to the FE will the output to the Cube be include that effect or will it come out completely dry? I've never run to amps through the same signal chain like that before so I'm not clear on how that output functions when they combined like that.

tele salivas
November 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I use a stereo capable pedal(Boss super shifter) but a Y-cable will allow you to either distort both amps or either amp if that will cover your bases. When recording guitar, I really like using it in stereo with my C-600 to cover the sonic spectrum. Give the speaker time to break in. The treble side of the tone switch becomes much more usable after a couple weeks of heavy play. I use that setting exclusively for both my pedal steel and 6 string guitars.

soulman969
November 27th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I use a stereo capable pedal(Boss super shifter) but a Y-cable will allow you to either distort both amps or either amp if that will cover your bases. When recording guitar, I really like using it in stereo with my C-600 to cover the sonic spectrum. Give the speaker time to break in. The treble side of the tone switch becomes much more usable after a couple weeks of heavy play. I use that setting exclusively for both my pedal steel and 6 string guitars.

Thanks for the comeback tele. Yeah I could do a Y-cable or and A/B/Y box to accomplish it but I was just curious about connecting the two amps that way. If the initial input goes into the FE what comes out of those two other inputs into the Cube? Is it the same input going into the FE from the pedal board or is it a dry output?

tele salivas
November 27th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah, I have no idea. I would imagine that the preamp is loaded, then the output is loaded. I've never tried jumping totally different amps without an ext amp output.

mike77rios
November 27th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Tele, when you say "C-600" do you mean the new Champ 600? if so have you modded it? I recently did the R 19 mod and it really cranks now.

PumpJockey
November 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Always give a speaker a chance to break in before you replace it. If you want to try the 1518 option, build a small external cabinet and wire in a 1/4" jack to it. Simple enough and you can use it in other ways.

Q: Is there any other difference between the three inputs besides impedance?

I have a Boss '65 Deluxe Reverb pedal on the way and I am looking forward to using it in front of the Excelsior for a bit of overdrive and some reverb. I've been looking for one for a while and got it half price on eBay. I expect it to compliment the Exxy very well. I may even try it with my Frontman 25R, which is lightweight, loud, has a good clean but horrible overdrive (typical cheap Fender solid state).

drdos
November 27th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Tele, when you say "C-600" do you mean the new Champ 600? if so have you modded it? I recently did the R 19 mod and it really cranks now.
Same result on mine. It now has a beautiful loud tone to it.

tele salivas
November 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Yep, the Champion 600. No, its bone stock. I may try the R-19, but I do kind of like it cleanish for porch playing. Mike77 and DrDos, does it break up immediately , or is there a little wiggle room for the clean? I like the way it stereos up with the Excelsior stock, but you know, idle hands....:mrgreen:

mike77rios
November 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Tele, if you like the clean sound of your 600, dont do the R19 mod I mean I have JJs in mine and with the mod it growls, no more clean!

tele salivas
November 28th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Gotcha, Mike. THanks!

drdos
November 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I don't know Tele, mine stayed pretty clean although I bought it with the mod already done so I don't have a way to compare it to stock. I have the jensen mod spkr in it and a GE12ax7/JJ6v6 in mine and it is clean for days just surprisingly loud...

mike77rios
November 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I wonder if the GE12AX7 is a weaker preamp tube....honestly though, since I performed the mod it breaks up around 5, which is ok, i have thought about putting a on/off switch between the board and the resistor (19) to allow for R19 to either connect through the tone stack or bypass it, now that Im thinking about it, it would make more sense to install a female 1/4" phone jack to work through a remote on/off pedal hmmm.....

drdos
November 30th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I wonder if the GE12AX7 is a weaker preamp tube....honestly though, since I performed the mod it breaks up around 5, which is ok, i have thought about putting a on/off switch between the board and the resistor (19) to allow for R19 to either connect through the tone stack or bypass it, now that Im thinking about it, it would make more sense to install a female 1/4" phone jack to work through a remote on/off pedal hmmm.....Good ideas! Yeah when I use mine it never goes past 5 so I don't get it to breakup. I use a Blues Pearl OD pedal for dirt. A Switch would be great for the R19 mod..

tele salivas
December 1st, 2012, 06:50 AM
yeah, I'll probably keep it stock. If I need louder, I go Excelsior. I finally got something so I can post sound clips. I still demo/record/write through an old Korg four track. be good to post a demo of how the Ex and C-600 sound together vs tracked apart.

bargoedboy
December 1st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Did a gig the other night, trickled the Excelsior through PA with a Peavey EDI box and a joyo OD pedal to add a bit of colour. sorry about sound quality. (and playing ) :wink:
8btD3Jk6peE

PumpJockey
December 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM
Got a Boss FDR-1 on eBay for half price and free shipping. Ran it in front of my Exxy and it solves a lot of problems: gives you some tone control, adds in some dirty, adds in reverb. Good combination.

I'll give it more time, but so far I'm liking the sound of a Strat through this amp more than a Tele. My P-90 T-style also sounds better than my more traditional T-style. I'm not making a pronouncement here, just my experience so far.

tele salivas
December 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
I thought you had a great sound BargoEdBoy! ounded like the chords got crunchy when you needed them too, and the single note stuff was pretty toneful and not compressed all to hell. Good solid rock n roll sound. I liked it!

Pumpjockey, I find a few of my other guitars being played a lot more since I got the Exc. Especially my old Teisco from '69. It just finally found the amp that could appreciate it's character a little more, your strat is probably vibrating good and steady through the trem block, now.

bargoedboy
December 2nd, 2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks Tele, I don`t think the camera did the Excelsior justice, it really does resond to the attack you use. Band are happy as its not so loud on stage, I am happy as I keep it at same volume each night and tone is more consistent.
Works all round. :cool:

Wyzsard
December 3rd, 2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks Tele, I don`t think the camera did the Excelsior justice, it really does resond to the attack you use. Band are happy as its not so loud on stage, I am happy as I keep it at same volume each night and tone is more consistent.
Works all round. :cool:

Sounded fine to me. Thanks for sharing. It's good to see one in action :cool:

marshman
December 12th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Well, I got mine home this weekend and have been giving it some love.

So, my tele is missing 2 strings (bad week) so I plugged in my Les Paul (Classic, SD Pearly Gates p'ups). I have not liked this guitar this much in AGES! All 3 inputs make slightly different, but useful, tones with not insanely different volumes. Digging it big-time! Just sweetness from all angles. Cool to play with the tone controls, too.

I am not inclined to sift through this 12 page thread, so I'm gonna ask for some help with the greatest hits...I do have a bit of a buzz/vibration, is that mechanical? The tube cage or something?

I figger I'll wait until the tube warranty expires before I start seriously considering tweaking and modding, but I do have plenty of 6K6GTs I can try out...I'm looking for a schematic, but it doesn't look like I'd be in any danger of swapping out the 6V6GT, I don't think the B+ is gonna be too much. I doubt the power output would drop by much, maybe down to 10 watts, but might provide interesting variations.

Tremelo is very cool, but I don't know what to do with it, first amp I've ever had with it. Just go through my CCR and see what I like?

Excelsior Rocks!

ps--those colored models are hip http://music.andertons.co.uk/search?w=excelsior&nodet=1#page-1

Wyzsard
December 12th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Well, I got mine home this weekend and have been giving it some love.

So, my tele is missing 2 strings (bad week) so I plugged in my Les Paul (Classic, SD Pearly Gates p'ups). I have not liked this guitar this much in AGES! All 3 inputs make slightly different, but useful, tones with not insanely different volumes. Digging it big-time! Just sweetness from all angles. Cool to play with the tone controls, too.

I am not inclined to sift through this 12 page thread, so I'm gonna ask for some help with the greatest hits...I do have a bit of a buzz/vibration, is that mechanical? The tube cage or something?

I figger I'll wait until the tube warranty expires before I start seriously considering tweaking and modding, but I do have plenty of 6K6GTs I can try out...I'm looking for a schematic, but it doesn't look like I'd be in any danger of swapping out the 6V6GT, I don't think the B+ is gonna be too much. I doubt the power output would drop by much, maybe down to 10 watts, but might provide interesting variations.

Tremelo is very cool, but I don't know what to do with it, first amp I've ever had with it. Just go through my CCR and see what I like?

Excelsior Rocks!

ps--those colored models are hip http://music.andertons.co.uk/search?w=excelsior&nodet=1#page-1

Welcome to the club !

Mine doesn't have rattle issues but reading the threads on various forums, it seems more often than not it's either the tube retainers on the 12AX7's or the power tubes.

Go ahead and take the cage off the bottom chassis and make sure the power tubes are seated properly. Turn it on and try it. If it still rattles, take the tube retainers off the top chassis and make sure the 12AX7's are seated and try again.

folktheatre
December 12th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Hi guys. I'm loving mine but if I change the speaker will I get a bit more volume out of it? I don't wanna have to ditch it if I can louden it up a tiny bit.

tele salivas
December 12th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hi guys. I'm loving mine but if I change the speaker will I get a bit more volume out of it? I don't wanna have to ditch it if I can louden it up a tiny bit.

Try an 8ohm speaker cabinet out. I bet a 2-12 would sound pretty good and give you a bit more sound to fill up air space.

folktheatre
December 12th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Cheers. In a twin speaker cabinet does the whole thing have to be rated 8 ohm or just each of the two speakers?

marshman
December 12th, 2012, 02:46 PM
So I found a copy of the schematic that's very small and terribly difficult to read...hopefully there's someone here who's got a line on a better one, as well as someone who's read it.

Does it actually say that there's @ 400VDC on the B+? Seems an awful lot, but I know that DRs typically see more than that.

There's some sort of indication of a relationship between the inputs and the secondary for the OT...are those just 'test point' values based on which input that's been selected?

Think I'll go play some more!

t-luxe
December 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Cheers. In a twin speaker cabinet does the whole thing have to be rated 8 ohm or just each of the two speakers?

You want a cab rated at 8 ohms. Most are wired internally in parallel, so each speaker of a 2x12 cab would be need to be rated at 16 ohms(divide the rating of one speaker by the number of speakers in the cab, assuming the speakers are all rated the same). If wired in series, each speaker would need to be 4 ohms( add the ratings of each speaker in the cab). Either way, the cab would be an 8 ohm total cab. If you go with a 1x12, the single speaker would have to be 8 ohms.

folktheatre
December 12th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks T luxe

mike77rios
December 13th, 2012, 07:38 AM
The whole thing has to be rated for 8 Ohms

tele salivas
December 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
what those guys said.

bowman
December 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I recently got an Excelsior after gassing for one for a year or so. Got a good deal on a new one, so I went for it. I've been playing a Les Paul straight into it, dark position, no pedals, and I have to say it sounds really good. Frankly, I'm surprised at just how good it sounds. No hum, no hiss, no rattles, and very nice sounds in it. I haven't tried any other guitars with it yet, or pedals, but I will soon. I have it set up next to my AC15, and while they are completely different amps tone-wise, the Excelsior hasn't been embarassed yet. I think it's a keeper.

marshman
December 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Pretty similar experience for me...I haven't played my Les Paul this much in ages, but it was simply the easiest to hand when the time came. I use the bright setting and tweak the tone controls on the guitar and have been having a GREAT time. I really love the way they make my sad slide skills JUMP outta the speaker. I've got an 18-watt-esque amp downstairs in the cave I should try them out side by side. Time to get busy on that A/B/Y switch I've been meaning to build!

I don't actually gig as a guitar player, but I have noticed a propensity (for me) to really like amps with the simplest controls--fewest components in the signal path. I have a really nice Rivera with (mostly) NOS tubes in it but just vastly prefer the way these simpler amps react...Epi Valve Jr, 18watt 'Lite IIb' and the Excelsior.

DavidP
December 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I really need to make the tremolo footswitchable to effectively use it in live situations, but nothing yet in a mod kit coming from BillM...
If I read the schematic correctly, the trem pot is a 3M reverse audio which is readily available, and I'm thinking that it should be rewired like a bias vary tremolo circuit in a fender champ or princeton where its off till the FS cuts it on/off...
Anyone done a DIY mod for this?

Prairie Dawg
December 18th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I really need to make the tremolo footswitchable to effectively use it in live situations, but nothing yet in a mod kit coming from BillM...
If I read the schematic correctly, the trem pot is a 3M reverse audio which is readily available, and I'm thinking that it should be rewired like a bias vary tremolo circuit in a fender champ or princeton where its off till the FS cuts it on/off...
Anyone done a DIY mod for this?

From the schematic it looks pretty simple, simply bypass the switch in the vibrato pot with some hookup wire and run it out, drill a hole in the upper chassis, mount a jack, get a single footswitch from somewhere and Bob's yer uncle. Fact is, I've already voided the warranty on mine and I'm on light duty this week so I may try it. Film at 11.

DavidP
December 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM
...thanks for the info; yeah it looks like a no-brainer although I'd prefer replace the switched pot with a standard one, although it looks like CTS is the only one with the correct 3M RA value and I expect that will mean drilling out the mounting hole a bit...
I don't have much experience with switched pots --not sure what happens to the on/off detent on the pot taper when on/off is bypassed? Keep us posted on your mod/install!

Prairie Dawg
December 18th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Well, it was simpler than I thought. You don't need to replace the pot. Details here:

http://judyboxamp.blogspot.com/2012/12/installing-vibrato-footpedal-on-fender.html

mike77rios
December 19th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Tremolo foot switch mod looks fairly straight forward.... I got a bunch of days off coming up.....Ill let ya'll know how it goes.....

DavidP
December 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM
...now I just need to find either a couple of shoulder washers for a Switchcraft jack or a mono/unswitched Cliff jack before I start(both equally rare locally around here). Did the Cliff jack need a spacer washer given the chassis thickness?
Hmm, so you put the FS jack directly on the outside back of the chassis, rather than underneath -- I assume that was to simply avoid having to splice in longer leads?

Prairie Dawg
December 19th, 2012, 06:09 PM
...now I just need to find either a couple of shoulder washers for a Switchcraft jack or a mono/unswitched Cliff jack before I start(both equally rare locally around here). Did the Cliff jack need a spacer washer given the chassis thickness?
Hmm, so you put the FS jack directly on the outside back of the chassis, rather than underneath -- I assume that was to simply avoid having to splice in longer leads?

I was just kind of bodging it to tell the truth.:wink: I suppose I could have spliced in some wire or just desoldered the existing leads and installed longer ones. You may find it easier to get your hands on a Cliffs jack.

I bought a bunch of Chinese made Cliff clones a while ago and that's what I used. I did not have any stepped washers to insulate a Switchcraft jack. I could drop one in the mail if you wish.

mike77rios
December 20th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I went to the big three down here, Fry's, Radio Shack and Willy's Electronics and NO ONE had one of those jacks! Im bummed I wanted to do the tremolo mod this weekend!!!

Prairie Dawg
December 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Any amp tech should have a double handful of those things with the number of amps that use them and the rate at which they conk out. Maybe you can try one of the local amp mechanics. I gave my excelsior a road test yesterday afternoon to test the footswitch for function and it works well. I think you're all gonna like the idea. It only took about half an hour to do.

EDIT: Wish I was in San Diego right now, I gotta crank up the snowblower and do battle with the driveway.:roll:

PumpJockey
December 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM
Actually did a gig with my Exxy last night: 2 guitars, bass, keys, no drums. I ran a Boss FDR-1 in front of it for some reverb and a bit of overdrive. Strat and P-90 tele, mostly rhythm and some fills behind a better lead player. Did the job just fine, plenty loud, sounded good.

Prairie Dawg
December 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Actually did a gig with my Exxy last night: 2 guitars, bass, keys, no drums. I ran a Boss FDR-1 in front of it for some reverb and a bit of overdrive. Strat and P-90 tele, mostly rhythm and some fills behind a better lead player. Did the job just fine, plenty loud, sounded good.

I've been using a recently acquired Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin with mine and I really like the results. What part of Jersey? I grew up in Metuchen.

I spent last night in a recliner munching Bufferins and feeling sorry for myself.. We got about a foot of wet soggy snow that was enough to clog my snow blower. The plow comes down the street and dumps a three foot berm of what feels like rapidly solidifying concrete so I'm out there shoveling the stuff and here they come again, only this time as I tried to wave the driver off he dumped another berm in my driveway only it was five feet high. I spent the rest of the afternoon hand bombing it and didn't get any amps fixed. I knew I had to move it because the temperature dropped to about 6 degrees overnight and the stuff is now like concrete that has set. Now I know why people my age who can do it all move to Arizona.:confused::confused::confused:

tele salivas
December 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
I've been using a recently acquired Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin with mine and I really like the results

I bet that does sound good. I have a pretty old and cheap Kay Archtop that I have set up well with good tuners, and that sounds really good through the old Excelsior. On my solid body electrics, I find using flat wound strings really gives a nice thump on chords and the leads still zing right through. Now I'm hooked on flat wounds.

Kestrel
December 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
I finally bought an Excelsior. I had been curious about this amp since it first came out, but I resisted buying one because of what I first perceived as a lack of features. I always thought it looked cool, but the lack of a tone control, reverb, effects loop, etc, just made it seem rather boring. I couldn't have been more wrong. The tones are all there even with it's minimalist control layout. The onboard tremolo is basic, but sounds great. The amp has a good amount of clean headroom and handles pedals extremely well, so the lack of reverb on the amp is not an issue since I can just use a reverb pedal if I need to. I've been using the dark switch with single coil guitars and the bright switch with humbuckers and manipulate the tone controls on the guitars if needed. Still need to break in the speaker, but overall I am extremely satified with this Excelsior amp and I haven't even considered swapping out the stock tubes yet. Very cool amp indeed.