April 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
I just finished tuning her up so I thought I'd share some of the sheer terror I suffered out in sub freezing temperatures for the last 3 weeks.
Reading on these boards over the last 6 months or so got me thinking of trying to put one together my way. SO I saw this ad saying they still had a bit of this left:
I was able to talk them into cutting what they actually had left in half:
I cut it in 3 pieces and put a future body slab In my homemade planer:
April 2nd, 2012, 03:56 PM
I had to figure a way to get a body out of it..
Kind of cool:
Now this was craziness for a router newbie:
Not too bad.
April 2nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
Time for getting some neck stock ready:
April 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Let's see how bad I can make some routs:
Routing the truss rod channel:
It's almost looking like something:
April 2nd, 2012, 04:09 PM
I just put a couple strings on the mark the bridge holes:
Glueing in some dots:
I got the outside edges of the frets tapped in and then to the drill press with the fret press attachment:
I put a bit of glue in the end of every fret slot and then clamped it in the 9.5 radius for the night.
April 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
A few steps I missed:
I put about 30 degrees on the fret ends.
I rubbed a bit of tung oil on the neck and then rubbed it in.
I threw some tuners on it after reaming the holes to size.
I have to work on getting stuff where it is supposed to be.
I gave the body a tung oil rubdown and then started assembling.
I soldered up the pots and switch to my liking. Top to bottom. Volume, tone and then switch.
I then bolted on the neck (totally shaking I was so terrified at what May take place here.)
April 2nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
The skunk stripe is not too obtrusive:
Now for a bit more tweaking and then see how it plays.....
April 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
April 2nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Wow, I love the neck!
April 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Great job...looks like a player.
April 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. I made it to be a player. When I felt the neck raw I decided to just oil it rather than spray it. I sprayed the body with a clear uv protected poly. It turned it a beautiful chocolate brown but it lost the luminescence of the grain so I sanded it all off and oiled the body too. No shortage of mistakes which I will attempt to correct on my next one but all in all the function is heavenly. Relief was ridiculously low at around 4-5 thou but it works real well. Now I DO have a real player in my opinion.