$vboptions[bbtitle]

Minwax Oil Based Spray Polyurethane test

fretman_2
February 21st, 2012, 11:35 PM
I tested spray Minwax Oil Based Polyurethane on a piece of scrap and below is the result. I was trying to find my best way to polish it to a mirror finish. I think I have about 8 to 10 coats of poly on it. I sprayed every two hours in the afternoon and let dry for 24 hours, then sprayed the same way again for another two days. I let it dry 72 hours before wet sanding.

I wet sanded with 1000 and 2000 grit and went to Turtle wax white polishing compound and polished out the swirl marks with McGuiars Scratch X. I could have went from 2000 to McGuiars without the Turtle wax polishing compound I think.

The sample isn't completely level. I'll spend much more time leveling on a real project, but you can clearly see I was able to achieve a very high gloss.

flatfive
February 21st, 2012, 11:43 PM
Thanks for reporting on your test. From the pic it looks
great.

Can you see any boundary lines in the finish?
(Successive coats of poly don't melt into each other,
and if the sanding goes through a layer you might be
able to see a line.)

fretman_2
February 21st, 2012, 11:55 PM
I don't recollect seeing anything like that. I will, however, take a closer look and report back.

Tnx,

great.

able to see a line.)

fretman_2
February 22nd, 2012, 12:14 AM
K...double checked...no boundary lines on the finish. All very continuous and mirror like. Now...the most aggresive sand paper I used was 1000. Had I leveled with 600 first, it might have caused the witness lines.

I also polished an earlier test of tru oil that was beside the poly test, and the tru oil polished up to a mirror finish too going from 2000 to Mcguiars Scratch X. There were no witness lines on the tru oil either. I appeared to me that the poly had a slightly higher gloss, but that just might be my eyes. They're both looking very good.

great.

able to see a line.)

martyb1
February 22nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
POly will give you a high gloss but you really have to make sure you have it level.As mentioned above,poly does not burn in to the previous layer.Unless you put a thick final coat on you WILL get witness lines.You may not see them right away.Be careful!