$vboptions[bbtitle]

LTD vs Kalamazoo, and fuzzes

MikeMurray
February 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hey guys

I had a robbery recently and am looking at some replacement pedals..

I have an LTD SR with modboard.. Has anyone compared one of the LTDs directly to a Kalamazoo?

Then on this note, anyone ever stacked one of these with a fuzz? I had a Twosome, and am looking at replacing it with a Musket and a Black Arts Pharaoh.

Again, has anyone had experience with both the Musket and the Pharaoh?

I've tried to stick with pedals that are quite different sounding, in hopes of keeping a relatively wide range of tones. Would like to get some insight on how these compare to pedals that I already know.

Thanks
Mike

lefty73
February 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
First, hope the thieving bastards took only gear and didn't do any physical harm and as little emotional trauma as possible.

Second, the LTD with modboard and Kalamazoo, in my opinion, aren't really the same beast. You can do so much modification to the LTD where the Kalamazoo is more of a "grab and go" pedal.

I have never heard of the brands or models of fuzz you've mentioned, but after reading that you like to keep a wide range of tones, I get an idea for the fuzz you're after.

I stacked a LTD into a Dunlop Fuzz Face for a recording session a few years back and wasn't pleased - it worked better the other way around. The LTD did, however, sound better into a Big Muff Pi as opposed to vice versa.

Wish I could help by offering direct experience with the fuzzes you mention, but as fuzzes tend to add updated features to the "classics" I'll vouch for how overdrive pedals interact, in general.

Dr. Pants
February 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Sincerely sorry to hear about the robbery.

Otherwise - support Dave Barber.

Chiogtr4x
February 15th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Sincerely sorry to hear about the robbery.

Otherwise - support Dave Barber.

Met Dave B briefly years ago, at his (old) farmhouse shop in MD. A fellow guitar playing friend of mine (who was just a Barber pedal fanatic, friend of Dave's) bugged Dave to fix my ailing old Deluxe Reverb, and I met Dave when I picked the amp up. The man has passion and perfection just built-in! I could tell that immediately- nice guy too!

MikeMurray
February 15th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Tx Fellars. My plan is to use the LTD as a tight boost, and the Kalamazoo as a fat, smooth boost. The Musket as a tight, attacky fuzz, and the Pharaoh as a germanium, smoothm sludgey fuzz..

Hopefully we all can help advice me into the best situation possible :)

Thanks

P.S if my spelling/grammar is bad, it was my birthday yesterday and we celebrated tonight, so trying my best!!

Mike