$vboptions[bbtitle]

LP Jack Plate on Affinity Tele

jbrtwork
February 10th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Well, it didn't take any time breaking the cheesy plastic output jack plate on my Squier Affinity. Searching on TDPRI I found several posts about mounting a Les Paul plate, but no real details. So, here's my experience hoping it gives a little general info for others who will no doubt have this problem.

I went to the nearby Guitar Center and picked up a Gibson plate for $6, which, unfortunately, is also plastic. It isn't an exact fit... the holes in the plate were a little wider spaced all around, which is a good thing. I got a tiny drill bit and drilled new holes to fit this one. I figure that it won't last long either, but I'll replace it with a metal LP plate later. BTW... the Gibson plate, while a smidge longer and wider, fit's the narrow Affinity body perfectly. This was a concern of mine, since GC didn't have a single Affinity Tele in stock with which to compare.

Under the broken plastic plate, there is a hole large enough to mount a more traditional jack cup or one of the other cup options, and I considered doing this. Just figured I'd putty up the holes. But when I removed the pieces of the old plate, I found that the BSB finish underneath was horrid. It looks as though the plate was mounted while the finish was still wet and it gummed up. Much worse looking than four tiny holes. So, the Gibson plate was quite the blessing in more ways than one.

This quick and dirty repair will get me by for now. As I said, some later time I'll get a metal plate and when I do I'll probably improve the actual jack. Five minutes of work for now, though, and it looks pretty good. Hope this helps anyone else who considers this mod. Can I call it a mod? It's way too easy to be an actual mod.

aunchaki
February 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Under the broken plastic plate, there is a hole large enough to mount a more traditional jack cup or one of the other cup options

I'll call it a mod! Good work!!

I did put a generic Electrosocket-type cup in my Affinity, but frankly I think the LP-style plate is easier to use. I may go back one day (I never filled the four tiny screw holes).