$vboptions[bbtitle]

Anyone play a new Quilter MicroPro 200 amp ?

Mark Demo
February 5th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I've been a lurker here for a few years. Lots of good information.
Joined in June and finally have a question.

Pat Quilter built the QSC power amp company and has now returned to building guitar amps. The MicroPro 200 is his initial offering.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/products/micropro-200-specifications.htm

I've seen a few references to these amps in the last few weeks, but no reviews. There was a mention of them in the solid state amp thread.

Has anyone here tried it out ?

I have a Fender VVRI but would like a smaller, but still good sounding American made amp.

Thanks,

Mark

chrisparks
February 6th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I've been a lurker here for a few years...
I've seen a few references to these amps in the last few weeks, but no reviews. There was a mention of them in the solid state amp thread.

Has anyone here tried it out ?

I have a Fender VVRI but would like a smaller, but still good sounding American made amp.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark. Chris Parks from Quilter. Saw your note and thought I would share.

Although we don't have an extensive catalog of endorsees, we really believe in the common player over paying people money to make ourselves sound like something we are not. We do our best to support the communities of guitarists and their events so although you won't see us in big magazines, you will see us out at events sponsoring the communities that make the music for the love of it.

Here are a few spots on the web where real people have experienced their thoughts.

Mason Stoops session guitarist:
http://youtu.be/HKx9m6oxr_E

Surf Guitarists forum:
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/16098/?page=3

Heritage owners club:
http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/15881-quilter-micropro-200/

"Mad Max" Kominsky:
http://youtu.be/KDPqizdoW8A

Of course I would always recommend a Quilter, but I prefer to let happy people say so for themselves. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will forward you some of our reviews from our first customers.

Pleasure to meet you and hope to get a chance to know you.

:grin:

-chris

eugenedunn
February 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Wow, very nicely laid out control panel. Thoughtful design! I kind of wish it was available as a compact head also..... I'd love to pair it some of my bigger cabinets. Thanks for bringing this model up.

gitold
February 6th, 2012, 09:00 PM
$900 .

Greg.Coal
February 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM
$900 .From what I can tell, it's a complete amp solution with built-in tremolo and reverb. Also, for now, they're including a fairly functional footswitch in the price.

No DSP, all analog; but no description of the current warranty. I think it's definitely a boutique solid state guitar amplifier. More of a Swiss army knife than a one trick pony (sorry for the mixed metaphors!). I think it's great.

Greg

chrisparks
February 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
From what I can tell, it's a complete amp solution with built-in tremolo and reverb. Also, for now, they're including a fairly functional footswitch in the price.

No DSP, all analog; but no description of the current warranty. I think it's definitely a boutique solid state guitar amplifier. More of a Swiss army knife than a one trick pony (sorry for the mixed metaphors!). I think it's great.

Greg

Sorry mate it was under the support section. (Thanks for the feedback.)
In a nutshell, it is a limited transferable 3 warranty.
http://www.quilterlabs.com/support/warranty.htm
Don't be afraid to ask if you have other questions.

gwjensen
February 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Wow, cool looking amp.

Ben Furman
February 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yep. I want one!

Getfrettin
March 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Just downloaded all the audio clips, playing them in shuffle mode.
Makes me want one.
Don't know if I can I wait for a sale...

shoalbilly
March 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Very Interesting .....
I used to own a Quilter bass amp
with four big power transistors and an 18" folded horn cab.
Loud and a big heavy speaker. I bought it from the group Wildfire in the 70's
Never had one problem with the amp.
Good to see the Quilter name again. This new one should be a rugged amp
Shoalbilly

Mark Demo
March 15th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I ended up ordering a Quilter Labs Micropro 200 and it was delivered on February 15. Chris Parks was very responsive to questions before and after the purchase, and I received an e-mail reply almost immediately from someone in shipping when I was tracking the delivery.

Great sounds. Cool looking front panel with a friendly layout of control pots. Well built cabinet, yet still extremely light in weight. The footswitch controller too, although the use of RJ45 connectors for the cable connections has me wondering when the first tab will break off. High quality leather handle and a power cord with a lock-in-place plug.

Haven't had a humbucker equipped guitar to try it out with, but a Tele with Nocasters has been super using mostly the FullQ and Tweed settings of Channel 2. There are a lot of different sounds to play with here.
The 8" speaker is amazing, but I have used it only at home and never more than at a little less than 1/2 volume.

I've tried four different acoustic pickups into the Channel 1 Mic/Line input -
A Baggs M1, a Sunrise, a Godin Nylon string Multiac with RMC pickups and the OP24 in a 90's era Ovation. All benefit from the use of a pre-amp. The Godin is especially nice.

My only gripe - the tremelo should have another control to smooth it out. The tremelo sounds good when used along with the reverb (which is very nice on its own), but I did not care for it when used alone, even at very low settings. I'm probably spoiled by the sound of my Vibroverb RI.

The addition of a headphone output would be a nice touch too. Would have made this the perfect home amp for me, but I'm keeping it anyways !

I'm very happy with the combination of great sound, quality design and build, and reasonable size and weight.

Ben Furman
March 21st, 2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the review!

Arbiter
May 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Very interesting. I've been using QSC USA-series power amps going on 20 years now for my bass rig. I have three, and two of them were just laying about as the first one never failed.

I took one of them and hitched it up to an M80 preamp (I wanted an all-American made SS rig and have largely succeeded, save for three pedals) and that's been my guitar gigging rig for a while now. Super tone in every respect. Yeah, 300 watts per side is ridiculous overkill, but I don't even run it at a fraction of full volume.

These folks know how to make a reliable and great sounding amp. I'm glad that they're in the guitar amp making business and I'm sure they'll do well.

HINT: I'm about to go check your website, but if you're not doing it already, make a bass amp. Bass players already know QSC and are a lot more open to using solid state amps than guitar players.

jfinester
August 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I've just ordered a MicroPro. Looking forward to putting it through its paces--the online demos I've heard sound really good.

jackal
August 22nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Just got the head version, and I am impressed. Been playing solid state for a very long time, and this is just about the best. Have used all of the top brands. Nice to have a clean channel with an honest 100 watts. Some from 100 to 150 watts seen to be: dirty channel 100 watts, clean channel 15 or so. Also this amp has a very smooth and organic sounding overdrive. Not choppy or raggity like most SS ods. The best digital reverb I've heard also. Nothing bad to say about it so far.

spangler41
December 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Pat Quilter has hit a home run with the MicroPro 200! I have the 8" combo, the 12" extension cab and now the 12" combo. I have the 6-button footswitch and the 2-button footswitch. The Quilter team is world-class with responsive customer service. This amp is a real breakthrough in volume, tone, size and weight. And, it costs less than most of the 'boutique' 15-watt amps.

I should add that i have had 11 Mesa Boogies (still have a Lone Star), Fender Twins, Lab Series, Roland Cubes, Music Man RD100 and RP65, Rivera; Fender Bassman tweed, 135, piggy-back; several Weber kits, Peaveys galore, several custom rigs where I built an effects processor and a plate amp into a combo.

What's important for me now is high headroom, light weight, limiter, reverb, compensated DI and great tone. The Quilter delivers. All the other amps were fun but the Quilter is a keeper.

Doug 54
January 23rd, 2013, 07:49 PM
btt

kedj11
January 24th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I was down in Santa Ana the other week and rather than face the deadly and dispiriting traffic of evening rush hour back to LA, I pulled off of the 5 Freeway when I saw signs for a guitar store (Jim's Guitars) where they had among their other offerings (a fine selection of guitars and amps btw) what looked like to me the entire Quilter line. An over eager sales guy was more than happy to let me satisfy my curiosity about the Quilters' and unfortunately he seemed to be channeling the ghost of Leo Fender himself because as I played he began to massively fiddle around with the controls (which was something Leo used to do to local musicians during their actual gigs if they were using his gear in the super early days of Fender) which I didn't necessarily like but did give me a feel for both the variety of sounds the Quilter is capable of and how incredibly loud they can be (how many times in your life have you been trying out an amp and/or guitar in a music store and you have to tell the sales guy to turn it down? For me it was a first).
First off I should tell you that I am tube amp guy, I've owned a Dumble Modded Twin since 83 and I also have a Vox AC-30 and a small Airline/Valco low watt 1x12 combo so I have a good idea of what good amp tone sounds like. That said my impression was that the Quilter is a really good and really versatile amp. The sounds were warm and "organic" and lacked the dreaded sterility of sound that is the usual hallmark of Solid State amps. Are they as good as a tube amp? Well that's subjective but I am not rushing to sell my gear and replace it with Quilters, but then again I have good gear that works for me. I think a better question is how does the Quilter stack up against say Line 6 and Tech 21, and my impression (not having played the latest generation Line 6 amps) is that the Quilters are within the same ballpark, which is a good place to be. Hope this long winded essay is of any use to anyone.

highwayman
January 24th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Im sure its a nice amp, but ill pass for $900 on a ss amp.For $900 you could get a really nice tube amp.

Doug 54
January 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I agree to an extent

But, I am still very open and interested.

Tech 21's aint cheap, and they're not micro.

I have played the ZT Lunchbox and thought it sounded terrible

ojaverde
January 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM
My brother in law Bill lives in San Diego and is friends with Nathan James. Nathan is an endorsee of Quilter and you can see him in some of the videos on their site. Bill has seen Nathan play live many times. nathan has a BFDR and a couple of Victoria amps. The first time Bill saw him play live with the quilter he was very impressed with the tone and sound that Nathan got out of the quilter. Bill said that in a live situation he couldn't tell that it wasn't a tube amp. he was really suprised that it was both SS and had an 8 inch speaker. I know Nathan is a rootsy/blues kind of performer, but Bill said he sounded just as good through the quilter as he has heard him sound through his Deluxe Reverb. It seems that the amp performance greatly exceeds what we tube amp affecionados would expect from a solid state amp with an eight inch speaker. I should say for info sake that my brother in law has been playing bass and guitar since the 60's.

racoop
August 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Drove out from Mesa, AZ two weeks ago. Went home with a MicroPro 200-8. Robert was very helpful and let me try out all the amps. Settled on the MicroPro 200-8 for it's versatility and portability. I have 3 extension cabinets (1x15, 1x12, and a 2x10) so I originally thought that getting the 200-8 would be like getting a head with the option of using it occasionally as a combo for quick smaller gigs, jams, etc. Believe me, This amp is so much more then this!! It, as is, more then holds with most amps with larger speakers.
I am lucky to have some very good tube amps including a 5E5 Tweed Pro, Red Plate Tweedy-Verb, Juke Warbler 1210, Holland Gibb Droll 3x10, Ampeg Reverberocket, etc. Does the Micro-Pro sound better then all these amps? No. Does it stand up to all these amps? Definitely yes.
Having recently had major back surgery, my larger amps are probably going to go. The purchase of this amp is going to make this hard decision a bit easier.
As I said, this amp with the 8 inch speaker works as well as most amps with larger speakers. I, however, did hook it up to my 1x15 Cabinet (Eminence 1518 in a LopoLine open back cabinet) and it sounded huge. Then I ran it thru both the 8 and 15 inch speakers and it sounded astounding. Huge and very 3D.
I really like the voicing options provided in the MicroPro line. Pat definitely has great ears, as all the voicings sound great. I play mostly old style Jump Blues, Blues, Swing and Roots style music and I can see using all the voicings provided.
The boost function is also very cool. I really like the bright boost mode, as you can vary the amount of brightness with the use of the Boost Level control. Very cool for adding some sparkle to darker pickups such as humbuckers.
Thanks to Pat's brother Matt, a great guitarist and exceptional surf guitarist, the reverb is exceptional. Not a hint of digital harshness to be found.
Haven't really used the Limiter much yet, but I can see that it does a good job of smoothing out the distortion. I can see using it in moderation.
The only feature I'm not really crazy about is the Tremolo. The preset intensity is fine and the speed range is if anything too wide, which is a good thing. My problem with it is that, like a Blackface photo-opter style tremolo, you lose volume when in use.
I guess I've become used to the bias style tremolos in a couple of my vintage amps that don't seem to do this. Some of these older amps actually have a bit of frequency modulation (Think Vibrato) as well, which was very cool. If I could change anything about this amp it would be to change the tremolo function to the bias style tremolo/vibrato. Or even better make it switchable between the two styles, i.e. Tremolo or Vibrato. I feel that this amp is so good, otherwise, that it's kind of pointless to even mention this.
Though I went home with the, included, 2 button footswitch. I will, more then likely, purchase the 6 button footswitch. Now, I rarely even plug in the footswitches on my other amps. The features on this amp are so good and useable, that I really do see a use for the 6 button footswitch.
Ok, folks, now the kicker. Do I consider myself a tube amp snob? Absolutely, yes. This is a dreaded "Solid State" amp? Yes, though all analog with the exception of the excellent sounding digital reverb. Does it really sound like a good tube amp. Yes, without the hassles associated with tube amps. Most important, Does it feel like a tube amp? Absolutely, yes!
Now, I am not associated, business wise, with Quilter Labs in any way. I am just a tone snob who really appreciates what they have done with their entire amp line. Very vintage voiced amps, light weight, affordable and they sound and feel great.
All-in-all, this is a great little amp, extremely versatile, and built by some very cool people. This amp will get a lot of use.

jzucker
January 1st, 2014, 01:04 PM
I know this is an old thread but I think I'm going to pick one of these up. The clips sound fantastic and frankly, i'm tried of dealing with bad tubes all the time.

Doug 54
January 1st, 2014, 02:49 PM
I would love to try one out, like a Tech 21

But none even close to this area.
I have to try an amp in person 4 sure

DickArcher
January 1st, 2014, 02:49 PM
Just wanted to chime in to offer an endorsement. My band did a short tour of California (we are all Surfguitar101 regulars, the forum Chris linked in his first post) and we had a couple of Quilter 12" combos. They were lightweight and served our purposes incredibly well. I was EXTREMELY skeptical at first, because I'd used a larger Ampeg SS combo live once and wasn't happy with the results, but I was pretty impressed. We were all far from home and travelling very light, but we were able to get our sound with these and our reverb pedals. If I were going to buy a solid state combo, it'd be one of those (whatever model it was...I wish I could remember).

jzucker
January 1st, 2014, 03:59 PM
I would love to try one out, like a Tech 21

But none even close to this area.
I have to try an amp in person 4 sure

they offer a 30 day money back guarantee. btw, i'm in cle...

Petimar
January 2nd, 2014, 01:57 AM
I LOVE my MicroPro!

davidchagrin
January 2nd, 2014, 10:38 AM
I plan to get one as soon as I have the spare scratch...it could be a while.

PaddyBrumson
January 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
I've had an Aviator 8 for about 6 months now. Quilter said you can get the basic sounds of the MicroPro with the Aviator's tone controls. Little more work than the presets of the MicroPro, but saves some money and I liked the looks better. Very pleased with the sound and build quality. Compared it live with a Tech 21 TM 60, Roland Blues Cube 12, Fender Mustang and a vintage Princeton Reverb. I liked the Quilter better than the others, with the Princeton a close second. Very "amp" like in sound and the active controls let you dial in lots of different tones. Minor adjustments and both humbuckers and single coils sound great. Sold my DRRI and couldn't be happier.

highwayman
January 2nd, 2014, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE="gitold;3912871"]$900 .[/QUOTE
Yes they are alot of money and from what i hear theres nothing there that you cant do with a Peavey bandit 112 for less than half the price or $900 can get you a very nice tube amp.

soulman969
January 2nd, 2014, 01:54 PM
Yes they are alot of money and from what i hear theres nothing there that you cant do with a Peavey bandit 112 for less than half the price or $900 can get you a very nice tube amp.

These are the type of comments that just make me shake my head. Your post says "from what I hear" but it seems that what you haven't done is heard or played the amp yourself. If all you've gotten is the opinions of others just how valid is your opinion?

From what I'm reading in this thread those that are using them have some very favorable comments that are based on their actual experience with the amp not what they "heard" from some unnamed source. Maybe the users who took the time to post about their amps are who you should be listening to not those looking for an excuse not to buy one.

And why is a top notch SS amp not as good as any tube amp and maybe better than some? I play a SS Roland Blues Cube 60. It's built like a tank, uber dependable, quiet as a morgue, has great features including channel switching, an effects loop, and a spring reverb and it'll kick the pants off many tube amps I've played. And....the real plus is that I don't need to spend $100 re-tubing and biasing it every so often.

Tube amps aren't always the Holy Grail of tonality.

stax
January 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Yea a well made amp, either SS or valve is going to cost a similar amount, I have several of both and I normally settle on my Tech 21 or Sessionette RetroTone, I'd love to have a go on a Quilter but I've never come across one over here in the UK.

AirBagTester
January 2nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
I've tried the MicroPro and Aviator single 10 in a store and was impressed by both! Yes, you can get many other amps for less money, but there are also way more expensive amps out there as well.

The fact that they are so loud and yet weigh so little is like some parlor trick or something!

highwayman
January 2nd, 2014, 04:59 PM
I did not say it wasn't a good amp.I have several amps and some are solid state which I like ALOT.I have heard many demos of the quilter amps and im not bad mouthing the sound of it.All I was saying was for that kind of money I wouldn't choose one.They sound good but is it any better sounding that a Mustang,Peavey Bandit,JC120, Yamaha g100, Pathfinder,Tech 21 for a lot less money?

davidchagrin
January 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
They sound good but is it any better sounding that a Mustang,Peavey Bandit,JC120, Yamaha g100, Pathfinder,Tech 21 for a lot less money?

Everyone that plays one and/or purchases one seems to think so. All you did was list a bunch of very different amps for some reason.

highwayman
January 2nd, 2014, 07:30 PM
Yes .....A bunch of really good sounding ss amps......That would be your reason.

Tony474
January 2nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I took an interest in the Quilter MicroPro when it first came out, but as Stax said there don't seem to be any in the UK and direct shipping and importing costs from the USA would be high. Like him I have a Tech 21 TM60 and a RetroToned Sessionette, as well as a Roland BC-60 Blues Cube and several other excellent solid state and valve amps, with all of which I'm more than happy. Probably just as well that, however wonderful it is, the Quilter is effectively unavailable here - saves me thinking of an excuse to buy yet another amp...

AirBagTester
January 2nd, 2014, 08:37 PM
They sound good but is it any better sounding that a Mustang,Peavey Bandit,JC120, Yamaha g100, Pathfinder,Tech 21 for a lot less money?

Yes, IMO. I have played 5 out of the 7 amps you mentioned, and the only 2 I'm not sure about (but have heard that they are awesome) are the JC and Yamaha. You can definitely be awesome on any of the amps you mentioned*, but the Quilter - in my opinion - sounds very different and I liked it a lot more. Also they weigh a lot less, which is a plus for me, but maybe not important to you. It's cool either way.

Also the Pathfinder is one of my favorite little amps, but the Quilter is way louder. They are all kind of different amps, and the price tags don't say it all.

(*Note: I am not awesome :wink:)

highwayman
January 2nd, 2014, 09:00 PM
Yes, IMO. I have played 5 out of the 7 amps you mentioned, and the only 2 I'm not sure about (but have heard that they are awesome) are the JC and Yamaha. You can definitely be awesome on any of the amps you mentioned*, but the Quilter - in my opinion - sounds very different and I liked it a lot more. Also they weigh a lot less, which is a plus for me, but maybe not important to you. It's cool either way.

Also the Pathfinder is one of my favorite little amps, but the Quilter is way louder. They are all kind of different amps, and the price tags don't say it all.

(*Note: I am not awesome :wink:)

Fair enough. I agree with you about the Pathfinder. Awesome sounding amp for $120.

Walter Broes
January 2nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE="gitold;3912871"]$900 .[/QUOTE
Well, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to amps - vintage or no-pcb "booteek" for me, and I recently got a Quilter Aviator head.

It's cheap, small, loud, and ridiculously light. As in really light - it weighs less than an echoplex or a Fender outboard reverb tank.

All of that put together made me think "wow - extremely handy backup amp in case a tube amp goes down mid-gig", but I have to admit I'm going to be using it for a lot more than that - it sounds great! It does a great approximation of blackface Fender clean, and the "gain knob/master volume" channel is a lot more dynamic and better at mild breakup than any other SS amp I've ever played.

I realize it sounds as if I got it for free or I work for the company - I don't - but for me, it sounds better and is easier to dial in than Fender Hotrod Deluxes/Devilles, or other tube amps in that price bracket. And the built-in digital reverb sounds and acts more like the reverb in my Super Reverb than the typical IC-driven spring reverb in cheaper tube amps. IMO, YMMV, etc.....

eugenedunn
January 5th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Wow, there's a cool MicroPro 200 Head and an Aviator Head! Fabulous for most of us that already have several extension cabinets we love.

I just noticed that Quilter announced a new model called the "Steelaire", that seems focused on the pedal steel and lap steel players out there....but I think it's such a cool concept, that ANY lovers of clean toned 15-inch speakers will be super interested.....I AM!!!!!!! How about a head too?!

The announcement I saw projected that the amp would be available in late 2013..... Anybody seen one or played it yet? Nothing beats a high-powered 15, in my book......EVM 15L's, JBL D130F's and D140's, Altec-Lansing 421A's......

mad dog
January 5th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I'm really itching to try that Aviator open twelve. And just for the record, I'm a pretty recent appreciator of solid state. Got to liking my buddy's Bandit. Researched a bit, then went out and found two oldies ... a Yamaha G50 for a bandmate and a Lab L3 for my own use at rehearsals.

That Yamaha is a really cool amp. Much better since I shoehorned a Cannabis Rex in there. but it's heavy, much heavier than I expected. If the Aviator can sound at least as good as that (which from clips I've heard, seems to be the case), I'm quite interested.

I'll always be a tube amp lover, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious about alternatives.
MD

foundjoe
January 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM
The Quilter concept seems pretty good, but I have to say that I haven't been that impressed by the clips I've heard on YouTube. The sounds seem really thin and flat to me, and that's from the company's demos. The difference between tube and SS seems more noticeable on clean and low-gain overdrive tones, so I'm curious to play one to see if it sounds better in person.

PaddyBrumson
January 6th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Quilter is trying to expand their dealer network and will stop selling directly at some point. For now they ship for free, offer a 30 day return policy and they'll pay for the return shipping. They say they haven't had very many returns. If that price range is reasonable for you (it does cost more than a Tech 21 TM60) then you can try it for a month, compare it to whatever you want and keep it or not. I wasn't expecting my Avaitor to replace my DRRI, but it did. All depends on your needs, taste and finances. I've owned a TM60, Red Stripe Bandit and Blues Cube. Liked all three for what they offered at their price point, but currently prefer the Quilter.

Walter Broes
January 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM
The Quilter concept seems pretty good, but I have to say that I haven't been that impressed by the clips I've heard on YouTube. The sounds seem really thin and flat to me, and that's from the company's demos. The difference between tube and SS seems more noticeable on clean and low-gain overdrive tones, so I'm curious to play one to see if it sounds better in person.

Well...It's far from a very good demo, and I'm really not trying to show how versatile it is or anything, but this is my Quilter head clean, semi-clean, very low gain kinda thing. Custom built cab with one regular Jensen Neo, and two Tornado's. Guitar is a 1960 Guild Capri - and it's a trebly guitar into any amp.
Guitar straight into amp, using the Quilter's reverb.
tfOdhFamckU

Walter Broes
January 6th, 2014, 10:30 PM
And another clip I did with a different cab and a different Guild, there's a delay pedal on two of these clips.

60iNC-JWzUo

Petimar
January 7th, 2014, 01:28 AM
The reason I tried the MP was because of the 30 day trial period. I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I am very glad I did.

My sound is in no way thin and/or flat. I sold 3 very good tube amps after buying the MP.

foundjoe
January 7th, 2014, 03:22 AM
I appreciate the clips and the fine playing. The basic sound is pretty good. This is a video where I could really hear a difference between Quilter in favor of tube amps, which I don't think was the goal of the person who posted it.

bqaoOhjrQ34

Walter Broes
January 7th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Foundjoe, there IS a difference, absolutely. Not selling any of my tube amps at all, and they will be what I'll continue to use 90% of the time.
I got the Quilter mostly as the most practical backup amp I could think of, it's so tiny and light and flexible, but I find myself rehearsing with it, and playing it a lot at home - things I didn't expect.

But you won't hear out of me that it sounds or feels as good as my tube amps - it's mostly just better than I thought it would be, I really am impressed with it.

AirBagTester
January 7th, 2014, 09:44 AM
I appreciate the clips and the fine playing. The basic sound is pretty good. This is a video where I could really hear a difference between Quilter in favor of tube amps, which I don't think was the goal of the person who posted it.

bqaoOhjrQ34

I agree. The Quilter sounds good in that video, but when it gets to "now let's hear the 1966 Super Reverb!" I was just like, "Woah!" Sounds WAY bigger and more open with more bass. I don't know how much of that is the amp, and how much is comparing a 2x10 combo amp to a 4x10 combo amp, but, yeah. They all sound good, but that Super sounds SUPER.

Thanks Walter Broes for sharing your video of the Aviator head unit; I've wondered what it would sound like through different cabs. I like it! (Also probably helps that your playing makes it sound great too :grin:)

Seance
January 8th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I plan to get one as soon as I have the spare scratch...it could be a while.

I'm in the same position. I'm interested in a Quilter. But I seem to go years
between amplifier purchases. And saving up for a new amp isn't easy
when there are so many great pedals that I absolutely "need".

Ron C
January 8th, 2014, 07:56 PM
After a few rehearsals and gigs with my Aviator 8, I'm still thrilled. And the other guitarist in our band liked it so much he bought a micro pro 8. Fantastic amps at (IMO) a very fair price.

eugenedunn
January 8th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Hey Ron C,
So do you guys whip out big ol' speaker cabinets and plug into the Aviator and MicroPro, for big ol' gigs????

davidchagrin
January 8th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I'm in the same position. I'm interested in a Quilter. But I seem to go years
between amplifier purchases. And saving up for a new amp isn't easy
when there are so many great pedals that I absolutely "need".

I hear ya. I'm putting off all other gear related spending until I can fund this amp. I have an issue with buying new/different tubes all the time for my other amps. Those little purchases add up pretty quickly, though. Yet another reason that I'm seeking a nice ss amp...

Ron C
January 9th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Hey Ron C,
So do you guys whip out big ol' speaker cabinets and plug into the Aviator and MicroPro, for big ol' gigs????

No need for extension cabs yet. We just play in bars, no big stages!

eugenedunn
January 9th, 2014, 12:57 AM
When you plug into the extension speaker jack, does the amp kick-in the other 100 watts of available power?

Ron C
January 9th, 2014, 08:43 AM
When you plug into the extension speaker jack, does the amp kick-in the other 100 watts of available power?

I don't believe so. I think that there are separate 100 watt amps for each channel, with no simple way to engage both simultaneously other than one cable into the Aux input (which is always on ch 1) and another into the guitar input switched to ch 2). Never tried that, but never felt the need either.

One nice feature with the extension cab outputs is that you can run either internal speaker + ext cab or just the ext cab alone.

PaddyBrumson
January 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I had similar questions about wattage with my Aviator 8. When a buddy comes over to jam one plugs into the main input and uses channel 2 the other plugs into the aux input using channel 1 with a pedal in front as a preamp for more tone control and we each have 100 watts and share the reverb. Quilter said that was ok for playing around but for gig level they want you to use an extension cab to spread the 200 watts over two speakers to not stress the internal 8" speaker. Here's there explanation"

Re: Wattage For All Quilter Amps? by Chris Parks Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Easy way to think of it is that we have two inputs that can access up to 100 watts of our 400 watt power engine. (Our amp is actually a 400 watt amp.) So if you plug into channel 1 you can get up to 100 watts. If your friend plugs in, they too can simultaneously get 100 watts at the same time from the same speaker. (It is not stereo. Just a well known audio trick that allows you to combine inputs and still control total wattage.) So from a MicroPro or Aviator you can only get 100 watts out of any given channel."

Works fine without the extension cab at home and we can get pretty loud.

eugenedunn
January 9th, 2014, 11:26 AM
So I guess that implies that only by plugging into the two inputs, can the full amp power become available?........

If you look at the operation manuals, the specifications pages seem to indicate that each speaker output jack has up to 200 watts available individually.

chrisparks
January 9th, 2014, 01:34 PM
So I guess that implies that only by plugging into the two inputs, can the full amp power become available?........

If you look at the operation manuals, the specifications pages seem to indicate that each speaker output jack has up to 200 watts available individually.

Hi guys Chris from Quilter Labs here.
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up.
We are in NAMM crunch big time right now.
To answer the question above, no. You can only get 200 watts on a continuous basis even if you plug in an extension cabinet. (The transients are much higher than 200 watts and can go as high as 400 watts.)
That said, the 200 watts would distribute to the two loads when you plug another speaker in.
This is a good reason by the way to use an extension cabinet. A speaker that is being brutalized by a full 200 watts is likely to burn up fairly rapidly. You are asking alot from it. (Keep in mind most guitar speakers are rated at best at 50 watts or less.) Two speakers each handling 100 watts will last much longer and will be less likely to suffer cone cry and other speaker related bad behaviors.
Where a full 200 watts would come in handy is when you are running multiple cabinets.
Although we work very hard to prevent speaker damage and even have a speaker watchdog that prevents damage to the speaker you can still achieve speaker wear out if you run it at full bore night after night.
Thinking about it for a moment... The temperature on an 8" speaker gets up to about 140 degrees or more before the watchdog kicks in. Then when you turn the amp off it cools back down to ambient temperature.
For a moment imagine being pushed to high temperature night after night and then cooling off. The resins that hold the coil in, the materials used for securing the spider, the cone, the dome, all feel this heat and the massive vibration of the cone itself.
Now our speakers tend not to fail as we use a very robust design. But...
Pushing any speaker to that heat and vibration limit on a regular basis will cause it to wear prematurely.
Okay... I go into all this because...

If you require seriously powerful sound pressure levels for your playing (regardless of what amp you use) then distribute that load. Your speakers will be happier, your pocketbook ultimately will be happier and your ears will be happier. (But be careful to wear hearing protection!)

So in summary. Yes you can get 200 watts if you use both channels simultaneously from Quilter Aviator or MicroPro amplifiers. (Although the transients can go much higher.) If you plug a second 8 ohm cabinet in then you can have up to 100 watts across each load. (However you will have higher SPL (usually ~3dB as you are now using more transducers to move more air even though both are slightly less powerful than either would be by themselves as they are now running with less output wattage.) The other effects you would notice is a "feeling" of increased low frequency response and an increased high frequency "on axis" response due to the way speakers tend to couple.

Okay. Hope that wasn't too much info.

I may not be back for awhile as NAMM busy season is upon me but if you have any urgent questions you can always email. chris@quilterlabs.com
Take care and thanks everyone for your kind words on the forum. We all appreciate you very much.

mad dog
January 9th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Walter's demos are quite convincing. To the point I have tied myself to the mast, so the voices cannot tempt me.

Actually, it's that Aviator head that really has my interest. Quite reasonable cost, and those demos offer up some quite tasty tones. I may not be able to resist.
MD

Ben Furman
January 10th, 2014, 12:28 AM
We're still basically talking about a clean platform, right? Which is to say an amp for those who like to push a single channel with pedals?

Any gain addicts here?

Petimar
January 10th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Hey Ron C,

I own the MP 8". I've played a number of big gigs on it. It has THE best sounding line out I've used on an amp. I just use that and go to the PA, then have the sound man dial in my stage tone (very easy to do as the line out sound is pretty much identical).

I love this amp, especially carrying it to and from the car. 1 trip in and out. :smile:

eugenedunn
January 10th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Hey Petimar....... I'm really intrigued by the Steelaire model that's coming out soon. Wish it were available in a head or a small 8-inch that could be placed on top of an extension cab for bigger un-mic'd gigs.

I saw your initial post on the Quilter Forum..... no word yet?

Walter Broes
January 10th, 2014, 06:57 PM
We're still basically talking about a clean platform, right? Which is to say an amp for those who like to push a single channel with pedals?
Umm...no..? On the aviator, the left channels is clean clean clean, with a distinct "blackface fender" slant to it, but the right channel has a gain knob and a master volume, and goes from clean to pretty much "JCM 800" dirt, with a lot of shades in between.

hotraman
July 18th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Bump for any more comments / reviews about Quilter Micro Pro 200 -12?
I own a Jazzkat tomcat and have no problem with SS amps.
Want to go lighter, and use this with a variety of instruments ( including mandolin and pedal steel)
Thanks

Petimar
July 18th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I play mandolin, both 8 string acoustic and 5 string electric. The MP sounds great for both. I sold a very good acoustic amp (Shertler Unico) after hearing the acoustic mando and fiddle thru channel 1 of the MP. Easily as good as the Unico.

Our steel guitarist played a gig through the MP. Liked it so much he got a Steelaire.

hotraman
July 18th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I play mandolin, both 8 string acoustic and 5 string electric. The MP sounds great for both. I sold a very good acoustic amp (Shertler Unico) after hearing the acoustic mando and fiddle thru channel 1 of the MP. Easily as good as the Unico.

Our steel guitarist played a gig through the MP. Liked it so much he got a Steelaire.

I already have a 15" speaker cab. Thanks for the reply!

printer2
July 18th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Re: Wattage For All Quilter Amps? by Chris Parks Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Easy way to think of it is that we have two inputs that can access up to 100 watts of our 400 watt power engine. (Our amp is actually a 400 watt amp.) So if you plug into channel 1 you can get up to 100 watts. If your friend plugs in, they too can simultaneously get 100 watts at the same time from the same speaker. (It is not stereo. Just a well known audio trick that allows you to combine inputs and still control total wattage.) So from a MicroPro or Aviator you can only get 100 watts out of any given channel."

That does not make sense. 100 watts into a speaker is just 100 watts whether one person is in one channel and another person in a second one. What is the maximum power the speaker gets? 100 Watts? Would like to know what this well known audio trick is, I can't think of what it could be.

An ad I saw'

he MicroPro features 400 watts of headroom, internally limited to 200 watts of continuous output. The extra headroom allows more warmth and brilliance, resulting in "bigger, cleaner watts".

So there is 400W, but you can only use 200W. But 100W is for one channel and the other 100W for the other. Can you just put the same signal through both channels at the same time and get 200W into the speaker? Wish I knew the trick of it.

Now as far as being a loud amp for being an 8", I seem to recall the speaker was a Celestion TF0818 which has a SPL rating of 94 dB. It does put its 100W rating to good use. With 100W the speaker puts out 112 dB. Not bad for a 18 1/2 lb amp.

jglenn
July 18th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Tim Lerch owns one I have been told

Petimar
July 19th, 2014, 03:22 AM
I already have a 15" speaker cab. Thanks for the reply!

I have a 15" cab and several 15" speakers. I love the MP running both the internal 8" and the 15" at the same time. My recording setup is mic both cabs and the line out and mix to taste.

Pepi
July 19th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I seen this 'talk' a lot and nobody has ever got an answer on this ??? I also ask the question "How are they getting 200 watts of power from 6 TO-220 case transistors on their Tone Block 200"? There is a YouTube video that shows them building the Tone Block and you can see the final output transistors. I really don't know much about the Class D stuff so maybe the wattage rating are different?

hotraman
July 20th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I have a 15" cab and several 15" speakers. I love the MP running both the internal 8" and the 15" at the same time. My recording setup is mic both cabs and the line out and mix to taste.

Thanks for your insights!
This is great news!

printer2
July 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I seen this 'talk' a lot and nobody has ever got an answer on this ??? I also ask the question "How are they getting 200 watts of power from 6 TO-220 case transistors on their Tone Block 200"? There is a YouTube video that shows them building the Tone Block and you can see the final output transistors. I really don't know much about the Class D stuff so maybe the wattage rating are different?

Class D can be 90-95% efficient, so high wattage ratings do not surprise me. Saying you have a dozen eggs and then saying through a trick you really have two dozen eggs, I start to wonder.

DavidM1
July 20th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I appreciate the clips and the fine playing. The basic sound is pretty good. This is a video where I could really hear a difference between Quilter in favor of tube amps, which I don't think was the goal of the person who posted it. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqaoOhjrQ34">YouTube Link</a>

Great example of how SS differs to tube. This a pretty good SS sound and you could use it if you had to. The tube sound is different, more acoustic sounding and more musical. It has a natural transparency that SS amps don't achieve, even expensive SS amps like this one.

printer2
July 20th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Great example of how SS differs to tube. This a pretty good SS sound and you could use it if you had to. The tube sound is different, more acoustic sounding and more musical. It has a natural transparency that SS amps don't achieve, even expensive SS amps like this one.

Might not be that much of a difference if they were EQ'ed the same and went through the same speaker.

DavidM1
July 20th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Might not be that much of a difference if they were EQ'ed the same and went through the same speaker.

I thought the EQ was quite similar.

printer2
July 20th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I thought the EQ was quite similar.

The Quiltter was brighter with less bass.

DavidP
July 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Tim Lerch owns one I have been told
I'm REALLY interested in these amps (particularly the size/weight) but just can't buy one without playing it first--but to date nobody in Canada is a dealer for these (L&M are you listening). Now, when a tonehound/telemeister like Tim latches on to one, well that may change my mind...

DavidM1
July 20th, 2014, 05:36 PM
The Quiltter was brighter with less bass.

Hmm. I didn't find that noticeable but I was only listening through a phone. The EQ sounded about the same but the SS / tube difference was noticeable. It's the same difference you can hear when you compare SS and tube amps side by side.

vernon
July 20th, 2014, 06:48 PM
When it comes to "transparency" in amp tone, I think we're entering very subjective territory. I play an Aviator head and a Ceriatone OTS 20 watt head through the same speakers and find the Quilter to be more transparent sounding in terms of clarity than the great sounding OTS. Tube amps (which I love) seem to enhance the guitar signal (i.e. affect the tone) leaving it slightly less transparent to my ears. Just my opinion.

Doug 54
July 20th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Like Albert Lee 'having' one, the great Tim Lerch having one may be a greatly discounted one
or a free one, etc. inspite of what is said.

On great artists and gear, who knows behind the company's curtain!!

It'd be nice if Tim added his input.
I could see him using one for jazz box types gigs tho.

DavidM1
July 20th, 2014, 07:49 PM
When it comes to "transparency" in amp tone, I think we're entering very subjective territory. I play an Aviator head and a Ceriatone OTS 20 watt head through the same speakers and find the Quilter to be more transparent sounding in terms of clarity than the great sounding OTS. Tube amps (which I love) seem to enhance the guitar signal (i.e. affect the tone) leaving it slightly less transparent to my ears. Just my opinion.

Yes, you are right. Transparency when applied to sound can be a term that just invites debate. I don't find that SS amps have any problem with clarity. You can generally hear plenty of detail. However, there is something SS amps do with the decay of the note that isn't as natural as tubes. SS sounds don't die away as naturally as tubes or, for that matter, acoustic instruments. If you pluck a note on a cello or guitar and listen to what happens after the attack you can hear what I mean. The video that I quoted above lets you hear this difference between the types of amp.

hotraman
July 20th, 2014, 07:53 PM
This thread is pushing me closer to getting one of these amps.
I think I may sell my Mesa Express 5:25 to fund it.
Getting tired of lugging around big amps.

AirBagTester
July 20th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I have an Aviator head and it sounds great through my 1x15 bass cabinet. Sounds okay through my open-backed 2x12 also, but it depends on where I put it in the room. (That's really more a fault of the cab than the head.)

Came with a really cool bag for it too!

vernon
July 20th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks DavidM1. I'll listen for the quality of the decay between my SS and tube amps. I appreciate the helpful clarification. cheers!

vernon
July 20th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Yes ABT... I play mine through a 1x12 and 1x15 together. Wonderfully warm and clear tone. The only thing I'm not completely happy with is the gain channel. Just doesn't quite make it for me by itself. I'm hoping the Ethos Overdrive preamp I ordered will be a good match for Aviator's clean platform.

printer2
July 20th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I am curious as to the bottom end from the 8" speaker. I have an 8" out of a leslie from a Yamaha organ that takes 30W and is about the same efficiency of the 12" Eminence out of a Fender Pro Jr. Put the 20W amp I just built through it and other than not having the low end I can see it being loud enough to play with a band if the levels are not too extreme.

Pepi
July 21st, 2014, 07:48 AM
Class D can be 90-95% efficient, so high wattage ratings do not surprise me. Saying you have a dozen eggs and then saying through a trick you really have two dozen eggs, I start to wonder.

Even at 90-95% I still don't see how it puts out 200 watts. Just not enough in the final outputs.

Pepi
July 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Chris responded to my question on the Quilter Forum. They must have a way to get tons of wattage from their circuits. I think I'm going to buy one of these Tone Blocks :cool:

I see the Tone Block 200 has a wattage of 200 watts. I was watching the YouTube video where they are assembling one of the blocks. It appears they are using 6 TO-220 case transistors for the final output. How can you get that much power from only six transistors? I don't know much about Class D amplifiers so maybe they are rated different?

Pepi

Re: Question on Tone Block 200

Postby Chris Parks Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:24 am
First off... Good eye!
Secondly, not really sure if I want to comment for several reasons.
Suffice to say this.
The devices we are using are actually capable of producing 400 watts. (We limit the power to 200 watts, but have enormous headroom.)
Quilter Labs CEO.

Petimar
July 21st, 2014, 04:46 PM
Even in large rooms, I haven't come close to pushing my MP 200. It has always had plenty in reserve.

For outside events, I put the line out through the PA as I prefer a quieter on stage volume.

printer2
July 21st, 2014, 06:12 PM
The devices we are using are actually capable of producing 400 watts. (We limit the power to 200 watts, but have enormous headroom.)
Quilter Labs CEO.

And then they rate it as a 100W amp but it can have enormous headroom of 200W, 3 dB.

Which is still odd, you have an amp they say can put out 100W, but actually it is 2 x 100W if you use both channels for different signal sources. If you put the same signal through both channels, what do you get, 100W or 200W (going to the same speaker)?

So does a single channel have the 200W headroom? Being a Class D amp the limitations to the power the devices can pass are the rate at which they go from zero volts to full voltage, the switching frequency that determines the high frequency range, and the amount of deadtime needed to insure one device is off before the other turns on (there are two devices feeding power to the speaker, having them both on shorts out the power supply.).

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwm-f4b.gif

If the amp can do it why not put it in the specifications?

hotraman
July 21st, 2014, 10:05 PM
Even in large rooms, I haven't come close to pushing my MP 200. It has always had plenty in reserve.

For outside events, I put the line out through the PA as I prefer a quieter on stage volume.

Thats what I currently do with all of my amps. Just need to flip an amp to order a MP200