$vboptions[bbtitle]

pawn shop tool score - PC310

dwdantzler
January 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I just got a Porter Cable 310 laminate trimmer for $30 that is in nearly new condition. I see good reviews but what can you guys tell me about this thing? Good? Bad? It even has a larger acrylic base already mounted.

Different pawn shop in town has three ryobi 13 in planers: 2 1301s and 1 1300. They want 139 for the 1301s and 129 for the 1300. I like most of the features of the 1300 better but still wonder if I'm better off springing for a new 1301 from HD...

guitarbuilder
January 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM
The PC trimmer sounds like a pretty good deal. I have a couple 7310's. My only complaint was the shaft lock bent with hand pressure on the wrench. It probably wasn't hardened enough.... Be careful. It was under warrantee so I had them fix it, and the replacement bent too.... bad batch of replacement parts according to the guy. He'd seen it alot. Finally I told him just to yank it out and I'd use a drill bit.

I am not a fan of Ryobi. Here is a review by wood mag.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/benchtop-and-portable-tools/choosing-benchtop-planers/

and to be fair although dated by almost 10 years:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5933

KokoTele
January 5th, 2012, 04:57 PM
A Ryobi planer probably isn't worth any amount of money. Planers are precision tools, and Ryobi is not good at that. Some of their very basic tools are okay, but nothing to write home about.

dwdantzler
January 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I know... I'm just sick of the time it takes me to set up my router sled to thickness material. I can't afford to spring for a good one right now so I'm looking for something to get me by for a while.

allen082
January 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Several people on here on here use the ryobi planer. My home depot had them marked down to $170 last week. The infeed and outfeed tables (or lack of) are the only issues. Colt developed a pretty easy and effective system to fix this.

dwdantzler
January 5th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I checked my HD and they don't carry it in store anymore. It appears to be online only now and that price is still 229.

Westerly Sunn
January 6th, 2012, 03:01 AM
A 310 for 30 bucks is a deal with a hole in it! Whatever that means... :roll::lol: