$vboptions[bbtitle]

Proper Vintage Correct Bridge for 68 Tele

Bergman7
December 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade a MIM tele and want to know what the proper bridge was for a 68 tele. For instance, I know that early 50s models used brass sadles, but I know that's not the case for 68. What do I need to get/look for? Also, I want to know what pickups are best for duplicating a 68 tele pickup. Again, I've read that 50s pups sound diffirent than 60s. I want the more thin wiery sound like the 60s.....Thanks guys!

Ron Garson
December 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
A late 60's bridge would have plain steel saddles with grooves to hold the string spacing.

Pickups are more an individual choice, but staggered pole pieces are correct for that period.

SwampAsh54
December 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Only the word: "FENDER" would appear in the middle.
Straight, NOT on an angle.

Bartholomew3
December 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM
A late 60's bridge would have plain steel saddles with grooves to hold the string spacing.

Pickups are more an individual choice, but staggered pole pieces are correct for that period.

I have a 68 - that's the bridge & saddles. I still have the original pick-ups wrapped up unblemished...I think I used them for about a year then went to higher output D'Imarzios plus a brass 6 saddle bridge to get away from the sound OP is looking for.

Different strokes...

spankdplank
December 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
Early 68 are threaded steel saddles. The threads look like on a machine screw. Mid or later 68 saddles are stainless (at least mine never corroded) and they have a single notch or groove for each string (2 grooves per saddle). '68 pickups were not wax potted and the bridge pup tends to feed back at high volume or with distortion. Average DC on the bridge is 6.0 to 6.4. Average neck DC is about 6.5 to 7.0. Staggered magnets on the bridge pup, with unwaxed white cotton string wrap. Cloth leads on both pickups. The color of the leads varied a lot. I had one that had orange and green original cloth leads. Most were black and white or black and yellow.

slack
December 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
As spankdplank said. Coarse threaded steel saddles in early 68, slotted stainless steel saddles in late 68.

Patent number bridge plate.