$vboptions[bbtitle]

Taylor T5 Alternative?

CSS
December 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I'd like to have a Taylor T5 a/e but really don't care about paying for the name. I see the Epiphone SST and it gets pretty good reviews. Any others this style int he under 700 range?

TaylorPlayer
December 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I have a buddy that has the Ovation (Matrix or something like that) T5 type guitar that is very similar to the T5 but much less $$$. I actually owned a T5 for awhile and then traded it for a Gibson Advanced Jumbo acoustic that gets a lot more play time.... :mrgreen:

I found the T5 to be a fun guitar but it didn't excel at either being electric or acoustic to me, although if you play both on stage, it would be a good choice I guess.

black_doug
December 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Yamaha has the thinline series - APX?

CSS
December 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Actually I am a keyboard player in my current 3 piece band but there are about a 6 songs that I play gtr on, a couple Buffet songs and then a few 70's ballads and I'm split down the middle on electric/acoustic. I have a Guild acoustic that I am dont care to take out on one nighters like this and my Telecasters dont exactly do the acoustic thing very well.

jwj4856
December 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Krafter makes a model that is very similar to the T5, even looks like it and can be had for around $700 to $800, I think it is the SA series. I have played one at a local guitar shop and it played and sounded very good.

jmtaylor22
December 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Krafter makes a model that is very similar to the T5, even looks like it and can be had for around $700 to $800, I think it is the SA series. I have played one at a local guitar shop and it played and sounded very good.

I think it is Crafter, I played one as well, I also owned the Godin A6 Ultra which is also similar.

I sold the Godin, did not really get into it, I actually liked the Crafter better but never bought one.

If you look on ebay you can easily snag a Crafter for 500 used.

jwj4856
December 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Yep, sorry it is Crafter, I did like the one I played even if I could not spell the brand name right.

aunchaki
December 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I have an Epiphone SST Chet Atkins model and like it a lot. If I were in the market, I'd look for a used Fender Acoustasonic Tele (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-acoustasonic-telecaster-electric-guitar), the new one that runs $999 new.

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/414/010/DV016_Jpg_Large_584388.064_3_tone_sunburst_body_cl ose.jpg

dqami
December 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Michael Kelly Hybrid; Parkwood hybrid

JDolan121
December 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM

It is the Crafter SA or SAT models. I have the SAT, with the Kent Armstrong P-90 in the neck pos and the piezo bridge. I personally think it sounds great. My buddy Mike has a T5, and we have noticed 2 things between them. The Crafter can't "blend" pickups like the T5 can. It's either all P-90, all bridge, or both. There's no "in-between", which is a great feature of the T5. Also, the T5 seems to be (to our ears) a guitar that's 70% electric/30% acoustic, while the Crafter is 70% acoustic/30% electric. What I mean is mike can literally shred on his T5 and the pickups will handle it, but it doesn't re-create an acoustic guitar very well. My Crafter does great job of producing an acoustic sound, does OK for electric/lead stuff, but really loses it's edge when driven hard (it's a little too "bass-y" and gets muddy). I have 2 Crafter guitars, and they have great fit-and-finish. You won't be disappointed (especially at a third of the price of a T5). It's a great working guitar for gigging, where you're not ALL acoustic, and you're not trying to play Pantera...