$vboptions[bbtitle]

Hang or sit Stand your guitar..??

alvand
November 28th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hi guys...I have been thinking about installing the hanging type stand in my large walk in closet where I have a large wall and like Guitar shops, can Hang all my 6 Teles so, I can see and enjoy my collection instead of leaving them hidden in their cases...

My only concern is the long term effects of hanging a Guitar and having entire weight hanging from the neck !!

Do you have any opinion or known facts, Pros/Cons examples...??

Thanx...:smile:

mellecaster
November 28th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Where you live I would be way more concerned w/ Humidity than how you store them.

Hanging on the wall will hurt nothing....Your Super low Humidity can.

alvand
November 28th, 2011, 12:50 AM
True..I live in desert and at my home, humidity ranges 10-20% at all times and pretty much steady at that.

bear04
November 28th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I use to hang my guitars but I noticed that even though the hangers were padded, my Les Paul was still starting to get marked up. It didn't affect my tele, bass, or acoustic, but I took them all down anyways. Also, like Mellecaster said, living in Arizona I'd worry more about the humidity or lack of it. I live in eastern Canada. In the summer there is lots of humidity so I don't worry too much about my guitars, but now in the winter with the heat going all the time (I heat my house with a combination of wood and oil) I'd never leave my guitars out. I have hard wood floors and in the winter when it gets dry in the house the floor boards actually shrink and the spaces between them get bigger. I don't even want to think about what this would do to my guitars so no way I'd leave them out when the humidity gets too low.

Having said that, I also spent 17 months in Afghanistan and my guitar was fine even though it was a dry desert, so who knows. Maybe lack of change in the humidity makes a difference too.

Durtdog
November 28th, 2011, 10:20 AM
From the demo videos I see on Youtube, most guitar players should hang their guitars.

Then shoot, stomp and stab them to ensure they're dead and bury them in the back yard.

coldwar1977
November 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Would you personally like to be hung with your neck?
So... :lol:

oldmark
November 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM
If I'm not playing it, it goes in the case, standing up. If it's being used - or adjusted or re-strung, it stays upright on the couch. With Gibson configured instruments, NEVER set them so that the top of the peg head is getting pressure...they are weak at that point, and many of them break or crack with mush less pressure than you would expect. They certainly are repairable, but the re sale value goes down a lot- you can find several Les Pauls on eBay right now with repaired neck cracks at the top...some are pretty good deals, but few of them sell easily.
FWIW, I NEVER use a guitar stand either...they are too easy to knock over and result in a two piece guitar. (I have seen that happen onstage, and it stopped the whole band.)

ADDED: I live in south eastern PA, where we have summer humidity and temps very like those of Louisiana, but with snow and ice in the winter...

mark

jamblehamblebum
November 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM
thats right i have my tele in an environmentally controlled specially precision engineered box ..laid down gently wearing soft white gloves at an angle of 33 degrees the optimum angle .. on a bed of ostrich feathers . which allows the wood to breathe . the amount of light is controled by computerised velevt curtains that react to the light so it always at the optimum for the guitar .. it is also protected by a grid of infra red lazer beam alarms should anyone attempt to even look at it ...

the tele ey ... its a great working mans workhorse isn;t it?

Joe Baggadonitz
November 28th, 2011, 01:29 PM
A reputable luthier has informed me that hanging the guitar is bad for it. Gee that's funny, most guitars stores hang their guitars, don't they?
Old mark, I agree with you. If I'm not playing it, it goes in it's case.

tap4154
November 28th, 2011, 01:46 PM
When you have 6 strings pulling the neck and body together at over 100 lbs of tension, how could hanging it cause damage? (unless it's a pencil-necked Gibson, of course).

IMHO floor stands are an accident waiting to happen.

I usually just keep the ones hanging out that I'm playing at the time, keeping the rest in cases and out of the salt air when not being used for a while.

Oakville Dave
November 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
A reputable luthier has informed me that hanging the guitar is bad for it. Gee that's funny, most guitars stores hang their guitars, don't they?

I think both are reasonable approaches.

My sister in law is a world class classical guitarist, and a former music prof of hers has one of the most extensive pre-war Martin guitar collections in the world, dating back to Martin's first guitars. He has his collection hanging in a humidity/temp controlled room in his oceanview home. When I asked him about hanging versus cases, his idea was the string tension is already many times more than what hanging the guitar would cause, and that the relative weight of a guitar compared to the strength of its joints, etc. is very little. However, he also said that keeping the guitar at the right temp and humidity are the largest factors, along with not exposing them to direct sunlight.

I've had my guitars hanging for the past 12 years, with no ill effects. However, all my guitars are played regularly and serviced as needed. I've never had a guitar tech say "Hey, have you been hanging your guitars? Because that causes ____."

Also be sure to choose proper materials that will come in contact with your guitars' finishes, and make sure that you have the wall anchors properly attached for your type of wall. I did a big thread on my own guitar room that explains my choices. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/256809-ngrd-new-guitar-room-done.html Post #13 in the thread describes in general terms what I did.

Go to http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/266294-string-swings-how-do-you-mount-yours.html#post3160748 and read posts #4 and #11 for the details.

The room turned out great, the hangers are rock solid (I check them every time I use a guitar!) they look fantastic hanging up and they're less likely to get damaged by myself or by my kids when they're in the man cave!

Ultimately it's a choice you have to make based on your home's environmental conditions, your own comfort level, etc.

Bongocaster
November 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I have a friend who is hanging his up with the headstocks pulling the bodies against the walls with homemade stuff. The thicker the body the worse it is. going to be. A lot of truss rod tweaking in his future.

itsGreg
November 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Got half mine hanging, the others on stands. Seems no difference to me.

teleconvertMij
November 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
thats right i have my tele in an environmentally controlled specially precision engineered box ..laid down gently wearing soft white gloves at an angle of 33 degrees the optimum angle .. on a bed of ostrich feathers . which allows the wood to breathe . the amount of light is controled by computerised velevt curtains that react to the light so it always at the optimum for the guitar .. it is also protected by a grid of infra red lazer beam alarms should anyone attempt to even look at it ...

the tele ey ... its a great working mans workhorse isn;t it?

+1 lovin' it man, but make sure the white gloves are lint-free! Static, uuuh, you don't want static! Terrible thing!

sax4blues
November 28th, 2011, 02:06 PM
With no basis at all I personally don't believe either hang/stand has detrimental affect on guitars. I have mine hanging but, with winter here I realized my forced air heating is blowing right on the guitars. So I moved them to the floor on stands.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/sax4blues/Guitar%20Rig/IMG_0353.jpg

alvand
November 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM

I think your luthier's opinion is on the spot and that is my gut feeling also... but wanted to know the consensus of the level headed members of TDPRI.

As for the Music stores hanging the guitar, it is for the short term of showing to selling the guitar that will not do any harm but the longterm hanging is a totally different story.

alvand
November 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks to all who posted a coherent response regarding this subject.
It sure has been a education.

mellecaster
November 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I think your luthier's opinion is on the spot and that is my gut feeling also... but wanted to know the consensus of the level headed members of TDPRI.

As for the Music stores hanging the guitar, it is for the short term of showing to selling the guitar that will not do any harm but the longterm hanging is a totally different story.

With all due Respect....I think the un-named Luthier and your Gut Feelin

are both misplaced....I've had Guitars on Wall Hangers for over 40 years

w/o nary a problem....Acoustics and Electrics...The only Instrument I won't

hang on a wall is a 14 lb. 5-string Banjo, but that has more to do w/ the

Heavy Pot assembly...the way the necks attach to the rim, and the rather

slim necks.....That's all I got.

dada
November 28th, 2011, 08:57 PM
With all due Respect....I think the un-named Luthier and your Gut Feelin

are both misplaced....I've had Guitars on Wall Hangers for over 40 years

w/o nary a problem....Acoustics and Electrics...The only Instrument I won't

hang on a wall is a 14 lb. 5-string Banjo, but that has more to do w/ the

Heavy Pot assembly...the way the necks attach to the rim, and the rather

slim necks.....That's all I got.

I agree. Iv'e hung all mine for years with no problems..... That luthier is way off IMO.

alvand
November 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Love the dialog...keep the opinions coming !

Weazel
November 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Give'm enough rope!

SamClemons
November 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hung them up for years, best way to keep your guitar handy. I think that 2 minutes thought ought to convince you that as far as neck warp etc. Hanging them is not going to damage them. Damage them how?? There is no great pressure put on the guitar. I have had some get the finish discolored from the hangers. Some kind of interaction between the finish and the rubber on the hangers and nitro on Fenders is the worst for this. It does not bother me as all are players and the discoloration is barely noticible, especially beside all the other more major wear and finish cracks/chips. (I play my guitar, naturally relicked). The biggest advantage is just having them handy at a moments thought to grab and play. Kind of like having a buffet of wonderful food or drink just ready to grab and enjoy....

Joe Baggadonitz
November 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I find the whole thing puzzling because in my 30+yrs. of guitar owning/playing, I've never heard of a guitar being damaged as a result of hanging them from a wall hanger. Ironically, the luthier who told me this is the only guy I trust to work on my guitars. I guess he doesn't know everything.

My rule of thumb= when not playing it, keep it in its case.

Controller
November 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I just put them on stands and play them.

I would hang them if I had a permanent spot for them.

motwang
November 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I've been thinking of hanging mine with some kind of adjustable support for the tailpiece, or some kin of semi-horizontal approach. maybe use wooden pegs and 2 strips of board anchored to the wall. Haven't figured out how to secure just yet but can't be that hard to figure out. I remember seeing some homemade systems here before?

SamClemons
November 29th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I had one of these... http://www.guitarcenter.com/String-Swing-Electric-Guitar-Wall-Hanger-107227118-i1142095.gc for a violin. Expensive, but if you are opposed to hanging the weight on the neck.

Ricky D.
November 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I hang mine because they're safer off the floor than on stands. Just depends on how the room is laid out, I guess.

When I only had one, it was in the case when I wasn't playing it. Now that there's four, it's just easier to enjoy them when they're out.

alvand
November 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I had one of these... http://www.guitarcenter.com/String-Swing-Electric-Guitar-Wall-Hanger-107227118-i1142095.gc for a violin. Expensive, but if you are opposed to hanging the weight on the neck.

Sam, Now we are talking....
Get to rest the Guitar's butt (bulk of weight) on the stand....enjoy the static display & view your guitars on the wall...yet, put no pressure on the neck structure !!..:smile:

MusicJunkie
November 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I tend to keep mine on tripod stands, myself - that way I don't need to worry!

rand z
November 29th, 2011, 02:14 PM
i think its a matter of opinion (like everything is).

i do feel strongly about keeping them in the case when there's longer periods of not using em. theyre better protected and you can control the humidity to a greater degree (acoustics and hollowbody electrics, etc).

im a presently playing a martin acoustic electric, that i got for a song because the neck was warped so badly it wasnt playable past the 6 or 7 fret. before i bought it (on ebay), i saw pics of it on a stand NEXT TO A WOOD STOVE. i didnt think of it at the time, but im sure it dried out the extent of causing damage. it took a lot of work to get it into playing condition.

i like to keep em in the cases cept for the ones im using on a daily basis (about 4 or 5 of em).

rand z

Jazzy Jay
November 29th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I have a couple hanging, one or two on stands, and I always lean my #1 against an amp. Haven't ever noticed a difference in playability, tuning stability etc. I never take a stand to gigs either, I just put the guitar against the amp before the show and during breaks. Teles never fall over sideways anyway...

Mur
November 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hanging stretches the neck and makes it longer. (But I hope not).

rcole_sooner
November 29th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I have always assumed that hanging is better than not hanging. Been hangin' mine for years, with no problems.

zeke54
November 29th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I keep one out and the others are in their cases . The Esquire ( or Tele ) that I keep out is on a floor stand , even if it falls to the floor Teles are TOUGH , maybe a nick or dent , but it won't kill the guitar .

nrps
November 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Works for me..........

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4007/4336513824_fa6c063fef_z.jpg

Demo
November 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't go hanging them without first giving them a fair trial. Assuming they were made in America?

Jack FFR1846
November 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't go hanging them without first giving them a fair trial. Assuming they were made in America?

Even if they were Furrin' made, they still should get a fair trial. I've put my guitars on trial, but in every instance, the whole thing was an open and shut case. :roll:

Les Stratele
November 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I hang all of mine. This way, they look nice and all get played on a regular basis. Been doing it for years with absolutely no harm coming to any of them.

56strat
November 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I always have 3 or 4 out hanging up. Can't play 'em if they're in the case.

TRexF16
November 30th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Even if they were Furrin' made, they still should get a fair trial. I've put my guitars on trial, but in every instance, the whole thing was an open and shut case. :roll:

"Uncle"

LOL..good one

I play a lot more when the guitar is just right there ready, be it on the wall or on the stand. You pass by, you pick it up, you knock out a few licks, and set 'er back in less time than it'd take to go get it out of the case. Kind of nice when an extended dedicated practice session is hard to come by.

Rex

oramac7891
November 30th, 2011, 04:13 AM
All of mine are hanging

abracadabra
November 30th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I think if this was a problem at all then thousands of guitars would have been damaged in the last x number of decades and the word would have been out a long time ago that hanging guitars is a bad idea. once the word got out, no-one would buy wall-hangers and so there wouldn't be any for sale.

that said, I keep my best in their cases and I personally would never hang my guitars on the wall, but that's because the walls in this house are not solid enough to support them (which is the main danger, imo).

Scotty 2
November 30th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Never hang a guitar,,It causes the strings
to go "DEAD".

brookdalebill
November 30th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I hang all mine, on String Swing hangers (shameless plug).
They all get way more exercise if they are out and ready.
My favorites get hung over my bed, in case they get jealous, and jump.

Lostinthe50s
November 30th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Some hang, some live in the case, one sits on a stand... and the tele just gets thrown in a heap on the floor.

KyAnne
November 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Taylor Acoustic, Peavey, Tele on stands for 5+ years. Zero probs, but they are also way out of a traffic area. :smile:

StoogeSurfer
December 1st, 2011, 10:13 AM
I like mine on the wall for the simple reason that they are beautiful to look at, and I want to play them all, so it's good to have them handy. The perceived 'micro damage potential' bothers me not in the least.

NRPS, now that's a beautiful wall!

rcole_sooner
December 1st, 2011, 10:22 AM
Never hang a guitar,,It causes the strings
to go "DEAD".

Okay, I'll bite. Why does it cause the strings to do "DEAD"?

abracadabra
December 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Okay, I'll bite. Why does it cause the strings to do "DEAD"?

in the same way that people used to be hanged until dead?

that's how I took it. :mrgreen:

rcole_sooner
December 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM
^Ah!^ I didn't catch the sarcasm. :oops: Well, then. LOL! :lol: