November 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hello Everyone I have a CV 50's Tele that I have a had for a little while. I have noticed that when I touch the strings I get a popping noise it is not really loud but it is annoying. I pulled the switch plate and checked all wiring and solder joints. I even re-soldered a ground on the pot that looked to be a not so great joint. I also pulled the jack and checked that and then ensured that I have good continuity from the bridge-plate and all grounds. Does any one else have this problem and if not should I just swap out all of the electronics for better stuff. It has all alpha stuff in there right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
November 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Do you get the noise when touching or rubbing the pickguard ?
Could be static electricity built up on the pg. Rub it down with a anti-static dryer sheet like unscented "Bounce"
November 27th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hello sj the popping noise happens even when I am not touching the PG. I will try using a dryer sheet and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice.
November 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I have a bass that does that. It's because the cavities are not shielded and it buzzes a lot when I'm not touching the strings. Then when I do touch the strings it makes a slight "pop" noise and quits buzzing.
Check to make sure that your shielding is grounded (I'm pretty sure that CV's are shielded) to the back of a pot or something that is connected to ground.