$vboptions[bbtitle]

Speakers (Alnico vs Ceramic vs Neo vs Hemp)

uriah1
November 25th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Without naming brands/names.....looking for input on these

Alnico - smooth , but sometimes spongey?
Ceramic - Articulate but too brittle in some freq?
NEO - High fidelity , but unforgiving for guitar?
Hemp - Tames highs, but too dark?

Deep South
November 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I like ceramic for twang. The bottom end stays punchy at higher vol.

I like Alnico for rock/blues.

uriah1
November 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Yea .. interesting. by type of music...

tazzboy
November 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I like Alnico Period.

wrathfuldeity
November 26th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I like to use an alnico and ceramic in 2x8, 2x10, 2x12

vanguard
November 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM

well. you've got three magnet types, and then a cone material so it's a bit confusing as to what you're hoping to ascertain (magnet observations, cone observations, magnets-with-different-cones observations?). . .

your terse definitions of aural qualities of each material are over-generalized but often true.

--even great alnico speakers often have undefined, squishy bass.

--ceramic speakers have great, clear, tight bass, but the trebles can be hard and unmusical.

--neo is a very strong magnet, and the results can be awesome for super accurate reproduction, but lacking in character (read "mojo").

--i've no comment on hemp because it doesn't belong in this discussion IMO.

Wally
November 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM
GEneralizations..very dangerous ground.
REgarding the articulation question....
I put the EMinence Alnico 10"...ALK1028-35 watt...speakers in my Super Champs without ever having heard them. I bought them because of the reviews in Guitar Player's 10" Alncio shootout back in the '90's and becasue I wanted to smooth out the hgih end..esepcially in the distortion mode.
These Alnicos take care of that high end harshness, for sure.
ONe aspect surprised me, though. I have yet to compare any ceramic to these Emi Anico's and have ANY ceramic speaker yield the wonderful articulation that these speakers yield. That includes the OEM
eminence ceramic, the OEM Pyle ceramic, and a Celestion G10 Vintage that I just pulled out of my latest Super Champ acquisition. The Emi ALK is simply a very rich, big-bottomed, smooth high end speaker with great articulation.
The Chinese built ceramic G10 costs more than the USA-made Alncio ALK, but it is harsh on the hgih end, weaker in the low end and punch area, and is less articulate.
Generalizations just don't always hold up.....except that an Alnico speaker is always smoother on the high end when pushed than a ceramic, ime.

uriah1
November 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Yea, generalizations I don't like either, ..trying to promote conversation on types.

eggman
November 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Howdy,

Ceramics seem satisfactory for my 6L6 amps which are strictly reserved for "clean" duties, although I've never coughed up the dough for a 100 watt AlNiCo speaker for my "The Twin" or Super 112.
These days my man Keith Richards employs Ceramic speakers in his tweed amps onstage-to my utter surprise. Even the classic *"Get yer Ya-Ya's Out" album, featuring those Ampegs were most likely sporting Ceramic magnet speakers. Keith's Dan Armstrong guitar had a Ceramic magnet P/U to boot! Just wanted to muddy the water a little..

* If this is true, that means my favorite raunchy tones were produced through amps bearing Ceramic magnet speakers as well as many of the guitar tracks featuring Ceramic magnet P/Us!

BobbyZ
November 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Doesn't Neil Young use C12Ns in his 5e3 ? Or was it P12Ns ?
I ain't never going to sound like old Neil anyway.

SirJackdeFuzz
November 27th, 2011, 06:28 AM

Never met a too dark speaker . . . honestly :!:

Is there such a thing in the Emi/Jensen/Celestion range :?:

SirJackdeFuzz
November 27th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Doesn't Neil Young use C12Ns in his 5e3 ? Or was it P12Ns ?
I ain't never going to sound like old Neil anyway.

AFAIK it was/is P12Ns.

SirJackdeFuzz
November 27th, 2011, 06:31 AM
--even great alnico speakers often have undefined, squishy bass.

--ceramic speakers have great, clear, tight bass, but the trebles can be hard and unmusical.

--neo is a very strong magnet, and the results can be awesome for super accurate reproduction, but lacking in character (read "mojo").

--i've no comment on hemp because it doesn't belong in this discussion IMO.

What ? . . . you never seen a hemp magnet before ?

uriah1
November 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM
What ? . . . you never seen a hemp magnet before ?

Yea, just listed hemp, since unusual. Just like unsual cone types 1 1/4, 1 1/2, flat, 3 inch, see through center, chrome, paper, etc.....yea,
and lets not get into ridge, no-ridges, large spaced ridges in paper

vanguard
November 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
AFAIK it was/is P12Ns.

actually, i've read he indeed uses ceramic jensens. it makes a lotta sense, considering he's running an inherently flubby circuit with really powerful pickups at volume full up most the time; anything that can give a bit more "tightness" to his tone should be welcomed like an old friend IMO.

TxTeleMan
November 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
It's all about how a particular speaker sounds in your particular amp driven by your particular guitar played by particularly you. A new speaker can make it sound like you have a whole new amp.

Try reading the Tone Quest speaker reports or the Bill M Audio speaker comparison.

I use Eminence Texas Heat, C-Rex and OEM Fender. They all sound good; they all sound different.

Deep South
November 27th, 2011, 12:50 PM
A new speaker can make it sound like you have a whole new amp.

You got that right. Its why I like EV speakers. My EV15L does not color my amp at all. No speaker breakup either.

I have a set of celestion golds that no matter what amp you run into them they still sound like golds. The EV sounds like whatever amp I run into them.

Chele
November 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Never met a too dark speaker . . . honestly :!:

Let me introduce you...