$vboptions[bbtitle]

Fender Modern Player Telecaster: anyone tried one?

Electricblue73
November 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm looking for a nice tele below $500 and also a strat. I stumbled across the Fender modern player series telecaster with a HSS config and an aux switch for the HB.

Has anyone tried this yet? I can't find anything in the way of audio files or reviews so I thought I'd ask here.

Could this be Fender's attempt to make a tele with "strat-like" features and tones?

The humbucker in there makes me wonder how twangy the axe gets........both with the humbucker and with it split via the switch.

And also, I wonder if you can get strat tones out of it as well with the middle pickup in there and 5 way switching.

If this axe can be both, maybe I won't have to buy a strat after all :lol:

I found it at Musicians friend here (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-modern-player-telecaster-plus-electric-guitar)

aiolosa
November 10th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I'm curious about this too. I've been watching and they are very appealing to me. However I'm curious how the humbuckers sound and if it sounds like a tele at all or if it's just the tele body shape/style.

RubyRae
November 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I am wanting to know about the thinline with p90s. Was hoping for some good reviews.

OloF LaFoot
November 11th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I'm curious about this too. I've been watching and they are very appealing to me. However I'm curious how the humbuckers sound and if it sounds like a tele at all or if it's just the tele body shape/style.

I ordered Tele plus(charcoal transp.) from Thomann.de (shipment due to arrive on 16.12.2011) They have 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee. So if its not good i can send it back.

Randypttt
November 11th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I am wanting to know about the thinline with p90s. Was hoping for some good reviews.

Me too. I did find a vid on the Jag with the P-90's. I thought it sounded dang fine.
I'm still waiting for my GC. So slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nri8J2Lk17I

bluescube
November 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Played the thinline p90 and the tele plus models at guitar center. I think they are great values. Comparable in quality to the classic vibe series. The thinline is very lightweight. Sounds pretty good. I liked the tele plus model a lot. The split bridge sounds were spanky thru a vox ac15. Not a true tele bridge tone but not too shabby. I would get one as a multitone tele to compliment a cvc50.

Chris H.
November 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Ive played a few of them, P bass and the marauder. The feel was CV's all the way but the marauder had a larger neck profile. Pretty good.

bluescube
November 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Really want to try the marauder

Electricblue73
November 12th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I ordered Tele plus(charcoal transp.) from Thomann.de (shipment due to arrive on 16.12.2011) They have 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee. So if its not good i can send it back.

That's cool. When you get it, you can be the first one to post a review of it. If you can do an audio/video demo of it that would be great. Haven't found a single review yet.

I'm waiting for GC to get these in so I can try one out myself before I'd pull the trigger.....

The humbucker makes me question how twangy it really gets, but I like the 5 way switching for more tonal variations.

I was suprised that it's only $399, not much more than a CV50 tele which I'm probably going to get sometime soon.

Toto'sDad
November 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm guessin' the new line of Fenders, are pretty much squiers with a higher price, because "people will believe anything they want to." Before we were snatching a bisquit out of a little okie baby's mouth, now it's a totilla that is going to be lost, oh the humanity of it all. Get in on the ground floor buy rice futures today!!!

OloF LaFoot
November 13th, 2011, 05:54 AM
That's cool. When you get it, you can be the first one to post a review of it. If you can do an audio/video demo of it that would be great. Haven't found a single review yet.

I'm waiting for GC to get these in so I can try one out myself before I'd pull the trigger.....

The humbucker makes me question how twangy it really gets, but I like the 5 way switching for more tonal variations.

I was suprised that it's only $399, not much more than a CV50 tele which I'm probably going to get sometime soon.

Found one user review.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-modern-player-telecaster-plus-electric-guitar?CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1571798
(Press "1 reviews")

rick325
November 13th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I played that mod. tele last weekend @ GC , while searching for a new tele.
The one I played was in really a different" trans. black finish".
I'll tell ya this thing was easy playing , great sounding , has a very thin neck,
impressive for the price, didn't spend much time on it (pu sounds, etc.)
as it wasn't the vintage appointments, feel , tele sound i was there for!
ended up with the MIM . gc player tele. that neck is a fatty!
hope this helped .

BrantleyCoker
November 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I bought the thinline with p90s on Saturday because I am wanting another mahogany guitar with p90s and am a 100% a tele guy. I got it home and changed the strings out to .10s hoping i would bond a little better. I couldnt get used to the cheap feeling of the neck. I know everyone loves the classic vibes but it felt just like a classic vibe. The necks are identical, which I hate. After playing it for about 2 hours trying to bond I took it back. I talked myself into buying it because it was such a good deal but to get it to where I would play it I would have to double my investment in upgrades. I own an original 72 thinline so anything is hard to compare to that. All in all for a first tele not bad if you want something unorthodox. It lacked sustain and the pickups were cheap and fizzy. They do look sweet though. Just my experience.

FenderGuy53
November 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I spent about an hour or so on this one at Guitar Center last weekend:

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/635/845/DV016_Jpg_Large_H76265.002.001_honey_burst_maple.j pg

Here are the specs:

Series: Modern Player
Body Material: Pine
Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
Neck: Maple, "C" Shape
Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
Fretboard: Maple
Fretboard Radius: 9.5"
Frets: 22, Jumbo
Scale Length: 25.5"
Nut Width: 1.650”
String Nut: Synthetic Bone
Pickups: Modern Player Humbucking Pickup (Bridge) Modern Player Strat® Pickup (Middle) Modern Player Tele® Pickup (Neck)
Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
Aux Switching: Mini-Toggle Rear Coil Selector Switch
Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
Tuning Keys: Vintage Style Tuning Machines
Bridge: Vintage Style 6-Saddle Strings-Thru-Body Hardtail Bridge
Control Knobs: Knurled Chrome Dome
Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
Strings: Fender® USA, NPS, (.009-.042 Gauges)
Some things to note:

Headstock has Fender Special Run stamp.
Made in China.
Pickups not identified as ceramic or alnico (probably ceramic).
The control knobs are press-on (no set screws).
The toggle switch splits the humbucker pickup only.
Gloss fretboard with 22 Jumbo frets.
Not particularly heavy - a nice weight (the one I played, anyway).
Traditional control plate config (3-way, volume, toggle, tone) - yippee!

Final thoughts:

This Tele feels good, sounds good and looks good, especially for $399. I played this one through a Blues Junior III, set up clean, with a hint of reverb, and was able to get a lot of useable sounds out of it.

I do like the open space in the middle of the body, provided by the traditional neck/bridge Tele setup, but I think I could get used to this 3-pickup setup.

tele-bastard
November 16th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Sweet. I have my eye on that one.

GlenParrish
November 18th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I got to play the Jag today. Pretty sweet. Played the Marauder, too. Awfully cool. I can't wait to play the Teles.

Randypttt
November 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I bought the thinline with p90s on Saturday because I am wanting another mahogany guitar with p90s and am a 100% a tele guy. I got it home and changed the strings out to .10s hoping i would bond a little better. I couldnt get used to the cheap feeling of the neck. I know everyone loves the classic vibes but it felt just like a classic vibe. The necks are identical, which I hate. After playing it for about 2 hours trying to bond I took it back. I talked myself into buying it because it was such a good deal but to get it to where I would play it I would have to double my investment in upgrades. I own an original 72 thinline so anything is hard to compare to that. All in all for a first tele not bad if you want something unorthodox. It lacked sustain and the pickups were cheap and fizzy. They do look sweet though. Just my experience.

That's sad to hear. That's the model I'm hoping to get my hands on. Whenever my GC decides to carry it.:roll:
I'm hoping that your experience with your 72 is clouding your judgement a little :wink: I have a CV50 that I like a lot so the neck is not an issue for me but 'fizzy' pups is definitely a deal breaker.
I just got a flyer from GC and they have these 'special editions' that look a bit like the Modern Players but with 21 fret RW necks, solid bodies and white P90s. It comes in solid black and an ash body in red. They don't look bad but they're more money than the Modern Players. Couple bills more.
Anyone seen these?

OloF LaFoot
November 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
First (tele plus) Youtube video. That 10w amp sounds horrible bad :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH33j6QjBh8

OloF LaFoot
November 20th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Here is a picture of charcoal transparent or BLACK.!!!

http://community.musiciansfriend.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/1146/Fender+Telecaster+1.JPG

Not mine. found it from internet.

rick325
November 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Here is a picture of charcoal transparent or BLACK.!!!

http://community.musiciansfriend.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/1146/Fender+Telecaster+1.JPG

Not mine. found it from internet.

Ya have to see this finish in person to appreciate it!
the pic. really doesn't do it justice,(just looks blk.)

Randypttt
November 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Lets hope for some better vids in the future. The amp definitely stunk. There's a couple on the Marauder and one of the Jags that aren't too bad.
For all the curiosity there is about the tri-bucker some of these guys could have gone over how it works and the switching but....whatever

teleguy567
November 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM
nice guitar

teleguy567
November 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM
nice fat neck on them

Guit-jitsu
November 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I like the honey burst finish. A LOT.

chrom-freak
November 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
for you guys looking for a p90 tele: ever tried the ja-90? amazing axe! glad to call one mine

aiolosa
November 20th, 2011, 12:16 PM
for you guys looking for a p90 tele: ever tried the ja-90? amazing axe! glad to call one mine

That's a dope guitar.

OloF LaFoot
November 20th, 2011, 01:06 PM
here's a shot of under the pickguard
Not a fender modern player tele plus. Where is middle strat mic. That bridge is different too.

Gross
November 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM

What a horrible, horrible demo...

Tried to post a comment below it saying that the guitarist could have learned 2-3 songs or bought an amp before doing a demo...
Didn't get approved, apparently you can only post positive demos. They sent me a message saying that it's a privilege that they provide a demo and that this guitar player has sold 4 million CD's.

Don't really know what to say about this attitude.. And this guy really couldn't play a damn note...

TeleMan59
November 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
@Gross. The amp and his playing skills were indeed awful. But the video really showed how nice the honeyburst finish was.....but really nothing else.

xagyg
November 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Wow. A nice looking guitar for sure.

xagyg
November 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM
Not available in Australia yet. :(

tkachuk07
November 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
For all the curiosity there is about the tri-bucker some of these guys could have gone over how it works and the switching but....whatever

That guy Damon in England did describe it. He has several videos up on the Modern Players.

It's std humbucker 2 coils, humbucker + inside coil as a single coil, just inside coil, inside coil + neck pickup, neck pickup.

Randypttt
November 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM

Amazing no doubt. Bit pricy for me and I'd rather have strings thru the body but that's just me.

Randypttt
November 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
That guy Damon in England did describe it. He has several videos up on the Modern Players.

It's std humbucker 2 coils, humbucker + inside coil as a single coil, just inside coil, inside coil + neck pickup, neck pickup.

I must have missed that one somehow. That's much more thorough than the others I've seen. Well done. Got me some gas for it but I have to see that Thinline first. Definitely an interesting guitar though.
Thanks for mentioning that.

OloF LaFoot
November 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM
New info about MP Tele plus models

"We've confirmed this item will ship soon from Fender and should arrive in our warehouse the week of 12/04."(www.sweetwater.com)

vaillantk
November 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I bought the model (there are Two models) with Humbucker+Strat middle+standard Tele neck pups in the brown color (very dark, almost black). Quick impressions : 4 of 5 stars in everything Except : The neck pickup ( "Modern Series" ) is Horrible ! had my tech replace it with a spare Joe Barden Gatton ( this pup is about 1/2 the price of the whole Tele ! ) and had him put an Orange Drop tone cap in while it was open and it was a Huge Win- we were both stunned bt the Tone at all five switch positions. Note: if you DO replace the neck pup in this model, make sure it's a Four wire or you'll lose that in between neck/ middle position, even though the standard "Modern Series" neck pup is a two-wire, it's a hybrid Chinese pup, so they've done something Hybrid there.
Cheers,
-KV

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

howlinwolf
November 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I think it's a great guitar for the money. More Strat than Tele, no classic twang from the bridge which is fine for me, I'm going for a Cornell Dupree, Curtis Mayfield tone. I mainly play rhythm guitar for a blues/soul band and it sounded great. Still too soon to determine if I'll be replacing any of the pickups but usually I do because it's so much fun customizing these cheaper guitars. I feel it's well worth the money. I also own a Squier 51, Clapton Strat and Gibson 335. I really bought this guitar because I'm intrigued by the potential of the tone with a Pine body. It wasn't noisy at all and all the band members liked the tone. I'll keep you posted as I play it more. I use an Egnator Tweaker with no pedals. Overall I'd say if you're leaning towards something slightly different you'll be happy, if you need the Twang stick with a standard Tele.

bluescube
December 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
QMHTiTucrns

tele-bastard
December 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for posting bluescube. I enjoyed it.

cocoboudin
December 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
QMHTiTucrns

It s a very nice demo nice tone very versatile wow im very impress by the tone.

Jaaniic
December 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
What a horrible, horrible demo...

Tried to post a comment below it saying that the guitarist could have learned 2-3 songs or bought an amp before doing a demo...
Didn't get approved, apparently you can only post positive demos. They sent me a message saying that it's a privilege that they provide a demo and that this guitar player has sold 4 million CD's.

Don't really know what to say about this attitude.. And this guy really couldn't play a damn note...

:lol: Same here :lol: after posting a comment I received a letter:

"It's not a review about anyone's skills or lack thereof of his guitar playing, instead it's a demo of what the guitar looks like and sounds like. BTW, the guitar player in the video has sold over 4 millions CDs ... so enjoy and keep your negative thoughts and opinion to yourself. It's still the hottest Telecaster videos on YouTube since it was released."

To which I replied:
"Anyone can sell over 4 million CDs by working in a record shop for all of their lives. And this is Youtube so I can express my negative thoughts all I want. It might be the hottest video of that telecaster but thumbs up and down show the actual picture. Grow up and accept some criticism."

I don't see how that guy can actually think that it's a good review. And "...it's a demo of what the guitar looks like and sounds like." Ok...I can look at it...but sound? That 10w marshall isn't even miced!

The whole thing got me a bit frustrated :grin: I just hate bad reviews of gear.

aiolosa
December 10th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I played the modern player telecaster plus yesterday. I did not like the middle pickup at all, I probably would have had switched that out. Other than that, the guitar actually sounded really nice. It had a good feel to it. Neck was a bit over polished? I guess you could say, but it wasn't too bad. I woulda given it at 7 outa 10. I still really wanna try the thinline with P90s though.

boris bubbanov
December 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Thinline with the P-90s has a mahogany body and is crazy light.

The neck is fatter than a CVC but thinner than the CV 50s I am seeing now. Not a "thick" neck by anyone's definition but the necks are very nicely detailed and very much like the CVs in so many ways. Same tuners, even.

Too much racket at the store to offer any observations on the pups/sound.

Tony474
December 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I've taken an interest in the P90 model and found this demo on YouTube:

fsxKw-1ov1g

Doesn't tell me all I'd like to know but the guy's a nice player and a certain GAS has been evoked...

Middleman
December 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I played this one today. http://www.fender.com/products/modernplayer/models.php?prodNo=0241102

I was stunned. Made in China. It sounded fantastic into a Deluxe reverb. $399, still can't believe it. I have played a lot of teles both vintage and modern and this a contender. It would make a great studio guitar with the humbucker/coil switch, the strat pickup and the standard neck. The tuners need to be replaced out of the chute. There was a bit of a problem with keeping intonation, not terrible just a slight issue.

bluescube
December 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
That Tele Plus is starting to look real good for a rocker guitar

BBaker223
August 26th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Seems like a stupid question...but what does the small toggle switch activate on the volume plate?

soulman969
August 26th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Seems like a stupid question...but what does the small toggle switch activate on the volume plate?

Most likely a coil split for the humbucker.

Big tuna
August 26th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I just sold the loaded body off my mp but kept the neck for another guitar.great neck i think a little thinner but nice.it sounded more strat than tele to me.neck pick up sounded alright the hb tapped to single coil didn't sound good at all to me.not tele bridge for sure. if you want a strat sound and with hum b in bridge its good. mine played and sounded good 5 different sounds just not the tele i wanted though! forget the tap or change pick up for sure.

teleforumnoob
August 26th, 2013, 08:43 PM
http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/635/845/DV016_Jpg_Large_H76265.002.001_honey_burst_maple.j pg
The rhythm guitarist/lead singer in my alt country band bought one of these. He usually plays acoustic, but pulls it out now and then for a few of our harder rocking tunes. I only played it a little bit(thru his Bandit) when he first got it, but I was impressed at both the feel and the variety of sounds. Still felt enough like a tele despite the bridge HB. I even thought the split HB was decent enough, tho its not a Nocaster by any stretch.

Dunzie
August 26th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I went to a retailer to buy one, had cash in hand. Could not believe how heavy the one I got handed was. So asked for a second one, it was just as bad. I have never played a Strat as heavy as those, and even my last LP felt no heavier. Could it be they just got two ugly ducklings? Anyway, ended up finding a US Standard I fell in love with, so all ends well, but it was honestly surprising how weighty a pine guitar can be!

teleforumnoob
August 26th, 2013, 10:07 PM
^The one I talked about was average tele weight. Not light but no boat anchor.

Tony474
August 27th, 2013, 06:13 AM
That's interesting. In contrast the Modern Player Thinline Deluxe is pretty light - in fact to the point of being just slightly neck-heavy, meaning that if I use one of my usual Ernie Ball polypropylene webbing straps with it it tends to slip a bit. Fine with a leather or Neotech strap, though.

It's still not as light as my MM Silhouette, though - that goes 6 lbs dead, but then the top horn extends further and the guitar balances perfectly.

AndrewG
August 27th, 2013, 07:18 AM
I played A Modern Player Tele Plus unplugged recently. Nice neck-although a bit Chinese and 'generic' in feel-but the set-up and fret work were great and the overall build quality was excellent. It was fairly heavy though, approaching Les Paul territory, but not a deal-breaker. It's on my list of potential next purchases.

Bigsnaketex
August 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I have a Modern Player Tele Plus and it's a very, very good guitar for the money.

The stock pups are crappy (very low output and thin) but they got changed with no problem. The body is pine with a nice honeyburst and the neck is simply a delight to hold.

It cam with a humbucker in the bridge that has a mini-toggle so you can split it, a strat pup in the middle and a tele pup in the neck.

I changed the stock pups out for Seymour Duncan's:
SH-3 (Stag-Mag) in the bridge
SSL-1 (Vintage Staggered Strat pup) in the middle
STR-1 (Vintage Rhythm repro of 50's tele pup) in the neck)

For the $$$ I have invested in this guitar (less than $500 and very well modded) it's a killer axe and I gig it all the time while leaving my more expensive ones at home away from beer bottles and drunk fanboys.