$vboptions[bbtitle]

Should you keep your guitar in its case?

drob
October 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
I have a case but always keep it on a stand. I was in a local guitar shop recently and one of the guys said to always keep it in a case. Helps protect it against humidity. How important is that? Will the strings last longer?

Tom Coyle
October 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
I just asked this question the other day. The response was to keep acoustic guitars in the case, solid body electrics doesn't matter. Assuming both are kept at the house.
Curious as to other opinions as well.

Tom

Controller
October 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'm sure it's important, but I want them right at hand. We are very dry here but it hasn't hurt my Teles or my acoustic for that matter. I keep my guitars out on stands. I did the humidifier thing for a few years but I got tired of it.

dada
October 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
I keep all of mine out. Acoustics and electrics. No issues. A tele is the last guitar I would ever worry about.

fritz_d_cat
October 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
When the air is soggy or it's rainy, the acoustics get better string life if they are in a case when not in use. Even a soft case.

Bartholomew3
October 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have a 1973 Gretsch Country Gentleman - Chet Atkins signature model...and keep it in the case with a guitar humidifier - same thing with a Seagull Artist Studio model.

After approx 38 years the Gretsch finish is as good as the day I got it - the binding has yellowed a bit but there is NO checking, cracking or stress marks anywhwere on the finish.

On the other hand I also have a 68 tele that I bought new - has no finish now, never used a humidifier, have slight checking (if that's the term) on the headstock but never any other problem and still plays great.

Adds personality - when I do gigs the audience doesn't know or care...

telex76
October 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hard to play them in the case.

Bartholomew3
October 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hard to play them in the case.

Most people take them out first...hard to tune an air-guitar.

getbent
October 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Most people take them out first...hard to de-tune an air-guitar.

fixed it.

I'm not a fascist about it... some are in the case, some in a rack, some in the trailer, some at the barn... some in the case at the barn, some in the case in a cupboard in the garage...

some for good reason, some because of laziness, some for no reason at all...

most guitars survived hundreds of years camping out in a forest... they are pretty tough.

bfloyd6969
October 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
True, acoustics will suffer more from too dry and too humid environments, but electrics will be affected as well. Mostly, too dry an environment will cause the wood to dry and shrink causing fret ends to start sticking out over time. Also, the neck will change in bow with drastic changes in humidity. I keep all my acoustics and electrics out hanging on the wall. However, I also keep a room humidifier and hygrometer in this same room to be sure to control the humidity - moreso with acoustics than electrics.

livepulse
October 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
I don't get it... the humidity in the air will not be different in the case or outside the case. A humidifier will not make that much of a difference inside the case imo. I think it's one of those fairytales that will never cease to exist. I mean, it's not that you drown your guitar in a pool or something...

surfoverb
October 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
not really. I have 4 teles and 1 case, do the math.

c-los
October 2nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
I do, but ONLY because I have a cat.

JeffBeck
October 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
If I kept them in cases, what the heck would I hang on the wall?

I DO keep the tele on a stand, because I get a little freaked out about that skinny headstock slipping through my String Swings. I don't like a tuner supporting the full weight of my CVC. It's a little on the heavy side to me.

Everything else goes on the wall so I can admire them and impress the people that don't know I can't play.

BMusic
October 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I keep my Gibson SJ100 in the case and everything else out on a rack or on the wall.

I had String Swing send me a custom combination of their hanging thing for the headstock, along with the body piece from their horizontal wall-mounting set-up, so my wall-mounted guitars rest as they would on a stand (see photo -- with apologies for the lack of Tele content).

I keep an eye in the humidity, but yeah, basically I want them all out within arm's reach.

sean79
October 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Should you keep your guitar in its case?

Everyone who has heard me play says "yes" - I should put my guitar back in its case. And leave it there. Forever.

sax4blues
October 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have a 1973 Gretsch Country Gentleman - Chet Atkins signature model...and keep it in the case with a guitar humidifier - same thing with a Seagull Artist Studio model.

After approx 38 years the Gretsch finish is as good as the day I got it - the binding has yellowed a bit but there is NO checking, cracking or stress marks anywhwere on the finish.

That is 38 years for natural relic you will never get back :wink:

Stuco
October 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
No, unless its a solid wood acoustic and you can't keep your house/guitar room at a decent humidity level

BMusic
October 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Everyone who has heard me play says "yes" - I should put my guitar back in its case. And leave it there. Forever.

Hilarious!

Duncas
October 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
my friends father has an old school Taylor acoustic in his conservatory. it gets cold at night and very hot during the day. needs minor tuning before you play it and every 3months or so a minor set up. England isnt famous for hugely hot summers or massively cold winters though. just rain.

lowatt
October 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
I don't get it... the humidity in the air will not be different in the case or outside the case. A humidifier will not make that much of a difference inside the case imo. I think it's one of those fairytales that will never cease to exist. I mean, it's not that you drown your guitar in a pool or something...

It's quick changes in temperature and humidity that can cause trouble with guitars. The case acts as a buffer and slows those changes down.

Bolide
October 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
It's quick changes in temperature and humidity that can cause trouble with guitars. The case acts as a buffer and slows those changes down.

Bingo!

KC
October 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I've always got a fender and a national out on stands & handy, usually a mandolin, too. Anything that says Gibson on the headstock, or Epiphone for that matter, goes back in the case when I'm done playing it. That myth about the heads popping off when they drop is no myth -- I've seen it happen. My tele has taken spills and chills that would have killed a Gibson.

Buckocaster51
October 2nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
I have a case but always keep it on a stand. I was in a local guitar shop recently and one of the guys said to always keep it in a case. Helps protect it against humidity. How important is that? Will the strings last longer?

Probably not a big thing.

But, inside the case it will probably not get run into with a vacuum cleaner or knocked over by a dog.

That being said, the only guitar I ever busted was in a case when it happened.

:smile:

radiomanjh
November 18th, 2011, 08:41 PM
well in my case it's ok because my wife takes her hearing aid out when she gets home

McGlamRock
November 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
After you knock over a beloved axe and break the headstock clean off the neck, one becomes more keen to keep their guitars in their hard cases when not being played. I learned the expensive way :(

Joe-Bob
November 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I keep mine in their cases. I'm not too lazy to take them out and put them back when I'm done. :neutral:

brewwagon
November 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
some on stands - in the cases - in cases on racks :wink:

i always wipe them down after playing before they go back to rest

String Tree
November 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I have too many instruments to keep them all out at the same time.

I like to rotate the Herd every so often. They need to be played.
I'm lucky enough to have a Music Room I can keep all of them.

My suggestion is to provide constant Temperature and, humidity.
Do everything you can to keep them out of direct Sunlight.

sqrat51
November 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM

I've only heard that said about acoustics, especially here in the high plains of Colorado - very low humidity. So far, I've never heard anyone say that about electrics.

Jack FFR1846
November 18th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I keep out guitars that I'm going to be rehersing with or playing out soon, so I can practice. Otherwise, I keep a couple cheaper guitars out. My 69 Guild has spent most of its life in its case under my bed. It had the typical headstock laminate shrinking and some checking in the finish, but nothing like what I see in guitars left out that to me look like crap. I'm looking around right now....I have my godin next to me because I'm using it for one song Sunday, my semi-hollow because I don't own a hard case for it and an ESP because I have my Jackson in it's hard case as I'm playing that out next.

I do plan to sell a few guitars and I'll lose a few dollars and keep the hard cases when they fit other guitars that I own. I'd prefer to only have one guitar out.

qwerty95
November 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I don't. I've got some in cases, but that's more to conserve space. The two I play are out in the open, and only one's in a stand. But then, those are Teles, if it was an expensive acoustic or something similar, I'd keep it in a case, more due to things falling at random in my room. I know my friend keeps his Gibson collection in their cases all the time, because he worries about the Houston humidity, but I don't think he's doing much there. Maybe if he was taking them to Arizona, it would matter more, because it would protect them from the shock, but if they've been in the same climate for years, the humidity or lack of has done everything it's going to do. Same goes for temperature, unless your house is subject to extreme temperature changes, it won't matter much inside. Now, if you're stepping from your dry, seventy degree house into humid, hundred degree weather, it should probably be in a case for a while to adjust slowly.

Jeff R
November 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I own fewer cases than guitars, but case those I can. I have two big dogs that like to knock stuff over. My esquire has never, ever seen the inside of a case or gig bag. (But that's the one I keep around to fend off home invasions.)

Torz Johnson
November 19th, 2011, 12:35 AM
After you knock over a beloved axe and break the headstock clean off the neck, one becomes more keen to keep their guitars in their hard cases when not being played. I learned the expensive way :(
+1 - my Gibby stays in it's case when not being played, I've seen too many pictures of fractured headstocks. My tele and strat - meh, they know how to take care of themselves.

tboy
November 19th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I store them all in the cases. Hasn't seemed to have hurt them. Some only make it out 2-3 times a year.

Jared Purdy
November 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM

I knocked my Strat off the stand the other day. Fortunately, it's on a fairly thick carpet so nothing happened, but I just about crapped myself when I saw it going towards the floor. It wasn't even knocked out of tune. I stil leave them on the stands. It's a pain in the butt taking them out of the cases constantly, and they'd likely get played less it I wasn't looking at them all of the time.

I've noticed no difference in the neck action since the weather turned cool/cold, the windows were closed and the furnace started coming on. But when it warms up in the spring, the furnace goes off and the windows get opened, I have to retune my guitars frequently for about a week until "things" settle down. Southern Ontario is VERY humid most of the time, and especially so in the summer. I suspect the humidifier that I have on the furnace helps stabalize the wood going from summer to fall/winter.

horsespatoot
November 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM
They make these things to play don't they? Keep mine out hung on the wall. When I come into the room it's so easy to pick one up and play. If it was in a case ... I'd probably walk right on by.

KevinB
November 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
It depends on where you live. Here in the NE USA, winters get extremely dry. When the humidity gets in to the low 30s I put a room humidifier in my office/music room even though my heating system has a whole house humidifier built into it. And my 2 solid wood acoustics (Martin 6 and Guild 12) both go in their cases with Damp-Its as a few years back I left the Guild out and ended up with a crack in the back.

The rest of the time everything is out on stands.

vanguard
November 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
i live in the desert, and my hygrometer tells me my studio's RH vacillates between about 22-30% in the winter. that's way too low for the acoustic to be out and after a couple winters dealing with stinky room humidifiers that had to be refilled constantly (i was married to the damn thing) i just keep my martin 000 in its case with a sound-hole humidifier. it has done just fine so far: perfectly flat top, no fret-sprout, etc. i leave my teles and Ric out on stands so i can play them; i get a bit of fret sprout, but that goes away in the spring. it's worth it to have them ready to rock.

mako224
November 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I live at the beach. Anything left out eventually starts to rust. The tele stays in its case when its not in use.