$vboptions[bbtitle]

What tube amps would you consider "Sleepers"

duncan121
September 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Curious to know opinions on "sleeper" tube amps. My definition of a sleeper amp is the following.

1. Not rare but not widely used..They fly under the radar..
2. Not a boutique amp or an amp priced in away that makes them rare..
3. Their (subjectable) tone gives them value to you..not their brand name..

My all time sleeper would be the MusicMan HD130 Reverb.. Beautiful sounding amp and one I wish I owned.

Note: TDPRI is a super knowledgeable crowd so I realize that a "sleeper" in general music circles will likely not be a "sleeper" here...Either way..what's say ye???? Lets get some dialog going..Introduce me to some new sleeper amps

eggman
September 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Howdy,

For PCB amps, Fender's red knob Super series from the late 80s/early 90s. 60 watts of all-tube warmth*. Best clean tones I've ever heard eminated from my 1991 Super 112. Don't expect "Green Onions" tones from the clean channel, unless your willing to turn that volume knob to 9!
Since many insist the red knob series is responsible for the break-up of The Beatles all the way to Alabama's late collapse against Auburn last season, these amps are quite affordable on the used market. Bring a dolly, though; they're heavy unless you get a Super 60 head.

* These amps are SS rectified, I must add.

JamesL
September 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Fender Princeton Reverb II........I have one and love it.....some people not so much.

TelecasterSam
September 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM
A friend has an old Melody amp that sounds great, but I guess that might be considered rare. I reminds me of a Princeton or maybe a small Vox.

duncan121
September 25th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Great start!!...I'm already learning about some new amps!

fezz parka
September 25th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Supro's. Rickenbacker Electro's. Alamo's. There's tons of 'em.:lol:

bdgregory
September 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I would have to say (also) the Fender Red Knob amps - especially the Super 112. Follow these by Musicman amps - RP112-100, or RD112-100.

JamesL
September 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Supro's. Rickenbacker Electro's. Alamo's. There's tons of 'em.:lol:

Man.....I had an Alamo amp back in the mid 70s......wish I had it now!

twangplank
September 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
The fender sleeper is the early bandmaster reverb. The circuit is very similar to a super reverb or vibroverb. The can be black-faced and turned into a combo fairly easy.

They sound great. I saw a video of Danny Gatton that had one on stage. It was that or a dual professional.

bigben55
September 25th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Mesa Maverick. Had one years ago and wished I still had it. It, and the Blue Angel were the only Mesa's I ever liked.

tazzboy
September 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Marshall JTM 30 and JTM 60's are consider sleepers as well.

sax4blues
September 25th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Traynor YCV40WR. Great quality, good looks, and very well thought out performance features. I rarely see it recommended in threads but feel it's one of the best $800 40watt amps.

JimmyJam
September 25th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I consider my amp a "Sleeper". Blues Junior (Black Tolex). Looks completely stock with BillM mods. I think it runs around 18 watts. I have received compliments regarding my tone at local jam sessions. I gotta agree that I really like it, currently. It can keep up with a full band without being mic'd.

Stratelcaster
September 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Peavey VTM 60! It's a single channel amp, but it has dip switches that let you tailor the bottom end and compression. It was used on the first two Soundgarden albums and was the precursor to the 5150 head. Seriously can go from mild Ac/dc to Pantera if one wanted to. No real clean tones though.

filmix2
September 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I consider my amp a "Sleeper". Blues Junior (Black Tolex). Looks completely stock with BillM mods. I think it runs around 18 watts. I have received compliments regarding my tone at local jam sessions. I gotta agree that I really like it, currently. It can keep up with a full band without being mic'd.

+1

YUP!

die Bullen
September 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM
vintage Ampegs- especially early to mid-60's.

mr.danny
September 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I just was gonna say Ampeg Gemini I, Bullen!
In my friend's recording studio that has over 20 vintage amps, it gets picked a LOT.

die Bullen
September 25th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yep got a Gemini II myself.

Heck any of them are good- jets, reverberockets, mercuries, geminis, depending on what you want it for. You can get a 45-50 year old handwired amp for less than you get a new Peavey for

Big_Bend
September 25th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Crate Blue Voodoo. When they work, they sound incredible!! Especially the 2x12 twin version. Seriously, they can be had for a song and they sound just wonderful.

Colt W. Knight
September 25th, 2011, 06:14 PM
After I read your definitions, the first amps that popped into my mind were Fender Vibro amps like the Vibrolux Reverb or the Vibro King.

Oustanding amps, but you don't see a lot of them.

robt57
September 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
After I read your definitions, the first amps that popped into my mind were Fender Vibro amps like the Vibrolux Reverb or the Vibro King.

"you don't see a lot of them"

Especially the VK, not too many places to let that dog run...

And I mean "dog" as in Greyhound, not mutt...

dblues
September 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
My Dean Markley CD60 does really nice Fender like cleans all the way to crazy too loud singing distortion. I never stray far from rootsy rock/country/blues terrritory but it's nice to have alittle gas in the tank if needed. I've run across the 120 wt version a few times at pawn shops here in Nashville and seen therm on ebay but not lately.

scantron81
September 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Mid '90s Ampeg tube amps. I have an Ampeg Jet II. 15 watts, 1x12, reverb, tremolo, looks great. I've seen them go as low as $250 on the 'Bay. Compare that to other 1x12 15 watters on the market. The Rocket series from the same era look and sound great too.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/scantron81/IMG_0926.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/scantron81/IMG_0927.jpg

dog fart
September 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I have to mention the often maligned Bassman Ten. Sure they have their faults and there's nowhere to turn them wide open. But they have 50 watts of Fender clean thru 4 tens, very pedal friendly and can be had for less than a used Delta Blues.

That said I'd trade it for a VTM 60 in a heartbeat

teleamp
September 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
heathkit

jtmdes
September 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I'll say Gibson amps from the 50's. Outstanding sound but you don't see or hear about them as much as you do Fenders.

BWNadeau
September 25th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I don't know how popular they are down in the States, but I know very few people who have a Valvetrain. I treated myself to a Savannah single channel this summer as a wedding gift, and have say I love it - it'll outlast the marriage - lol.

Mike Bruce
September 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Traynor YCV50. Master volume, two channels, reverb, extension cab, two way footswitchable distortion, here's a link...

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=423

DOGMA Dunn
September 25th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I agree with all of the above; Old Ampegs, 80s solid state fenders, Music Man amps, old 70s and early 80 gibson solid state amps, pignose legandary 7-100, and piggy-in-a-box amps, PRII, fender supersonic, 90s SWR californa blonde, and any DIY tweed deluxe clone. Any used tweed deluxe clone. And any early 80s Marshall SS amps. And, any old 90s mesa small combo amps like the .22 cal, mark I,II, &III, subway rocket, etc...

All these amps are hard to find and in some cases are more rare than vintage amps. Reason is people disgarded them because they are not considered collectable. But they are fun amps that can perform. :idea:

crafter11
September 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Fender Prosonic
Gibson GA-8T
Gibson Skylark
Late 40s/Early 50s Supro or Valco
SamAmp (for what it does so well considering the price)

SamClemons
September 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM
A lot of Peavey Tube amps sound great. A lot of old tube bass and pa heads are bargains.

WilburBufferson
September 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM
What about those Traynor amps? Or is this a Canadian thing? What model do folks think is great at about 20-40 watts?

SamBooka
September 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
What about those Traynor amps? Or is this a Canadian thing? What model do folks think is great at about 20-40 watts?

Traynors have a cult following but have some serious drawbacks.. they weigh a ton. nothing but clean headroom.. hard to find replacement parts (like mustard caps and pricey mullard preamp tubes). Speakers make lousy ashtrays...

if you are into that sort of thing they are ok...

scantron81
September 25th, 2011, 10:33 PM

Bogen 35. Total sleeper. paid $150 for mine. Hand wired, tube heaven. Sounds every bit an early AC15. None of my other amps touch it for tone. Thankfully 7868's are being produced again.

WilburBufferson
September 25th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Traynors have a cult following but have some serious drawbacks.. they weigh a ton. nothing but clean headroom.. hard to find replacement parts (like mustard caps and pricey mullard preamp tubes). Speakers make lousy ashtrays...if you are into that sort of thing they are ok...

I'm not, so thanks for the inside info. Would rather have something that is a bit more forward looking. And easier on my back :wink:

slider313
September 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM
'67 transition black tolex Ampegs with the blueish grillcloth and "drip edge". Everyone goes after the grey/blue check covered models. These sound just as good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/b376/slider313/RRII-1.jpg

backalleyblues
September 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM
There's several Acoustic amps out there that were not bad, the ones I'm thinking of (correct me if I'm wrong) is the 164 Mesa Boogie clone, and the last series called the Collaboration series (supposedly designed by Ken Fischer of Trainwreck fame). Heavy amps, but my Acoustic was a workhorse till the power tranny blew... and we couldn't figure out what to use as a replacement! If another one ever turns up, I'd buy it again...

Franc Robert

tele salivas
September 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Oh man that Reverbrocket II is killing me..I need some Pepcid or something!

oh yeah,,the thread! Fender Blues Deluxe RI..very pro amp that is under $800 smackers brand spankin' new.

Jim Dep
September 26th, 2011, 01:38 AM
1970's or early 80's Peavey Heritage VTX 2x12 combo
four 6L6GCs tubes for power amp and SS pre amp. Built in phaser, spring reverb
2 Black Widows

Killer amps - especially for classic southern country rock - it has that tone
perfect for Skynard, ZZtop, Marshall Tucker, etc.

I've seen these go for under $200, always when I'm broke.

Justinvs
September 26th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Peavey Deuce. A little dirtier than a TR but still with amazing cleans when you want them. And they go cheap.

Justin

boinkeee
September 26th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Mesa Maverick. Had one years ago and wished I still had it. It, and the Blue Angel were the only Mesa's I ever liked.

+1 I still have my 2x12 Maverick...was offered a lone star special as a trade one time but i couldnt do it, glad I didnt...

Minoan
September 26th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Ultralinear Twins. Waaaay underated.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/Minoan1977/DSC03236.jpg

etiquettemona
September 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Carlsbro Barratt 50 top from the 70's
Every bit as good as early Marshall / Hiwatt at a fraction of the price.

sonny wolf
September 26th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I always loved the Peavey Delta Blues with the 15 inch speaker.For Blues and classic rock they are really nice and unique.They have an 'old' sound to them.They are not the most hi-fi amp on the market but their rawness is part of their charm which lends itself really nice for some gritty,downhome Blues tones.At 30 watts,they have enough power for live gigs without being overly loud for lower volume use.The overdrive channel has a cool primitive,grainy voicing that again excels at dirty Mississippi Blues and old school Marshall style overdrive.The reverb and vibrato effects add more versatility.All this for a relatively affordable price make it a great purchase.I owned two in the past and despite being really content with my current Fender Amps(57 tweed twin reissue,tweed Blues Deville,Deluxe and Junior)I would certainly be happy to play a Peavey Delta Blues in a live situation and maybe even own one again in the future.

ntooke0142
September 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Valve WEMs

old British amps - 18 watt dominators, or the Dominator 50, if you can get hold of one, is very nice.

dog fart
September 26th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Just remembered the Sovtek Mig series. The only one I ever saw/heard was the Mig 50. It reminded me of a blackface Bassman. I've seen pictures of the 60 and 100 but that's all

jglenn
September 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I think the older US made Crate amps are sleepers.The white tolex vintage style,Palaminos,and the VFX tubes series are great amps.

Tele-Monster
September 26th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Fender Musicmaster Bass! Such a great amp, but slowly climbing in price.

thelowerlip
September 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
My all time sleeper would be the MusicMan HD130 Reverb.. Beautiful sounding amp and one I wish I owned.

I just had to chime in and say... My Musicman HD 130 Doesn´t get much sleep. It IS my dream amp! Great clean sound, reverb, tremolo, and a nice "breakup" using pedals or the vol./master vol. combo.

Mike Bruce
September 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Well, I stand by the YCV50. Being a newer model it doesn't suffer for parts availability, not that mine has needed* any. I also have the YCV20 (and various newer solid state models). The fact that Canada's largest music store chain deals them (they have common ownership) makes them easy to get, and they are distributed through other stores too. The YCV20 is a great amp except the lack of a master volume kind annoys me.

*Edit: Not needed any parts, but I did put an Eminence Reignmaker in it because I could, and I've experimented with tubes for no particular reason other than I could.

bigben55
September 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
+1 I still have my 2x12 Maverick...was offered a lone star special as a trade one time but i couldnt do it, glad I didnt...

I had the head and 2x12 Vintage 30 cabinet. I sold it to finance a real 1965 Fender Tremolux, which was an awesome amp too. I later sold it at a profit and now play a 1970 Twin. But I would buy a Maverick again in a heartbeat if the price was right.

soundchaser59
September 26th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Frenzel Amps

musicmatty
September 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Agreed :cool:

Warm Gums
September 26th, 2011, 10:21 AM
1970's or early 80's Peavey Heritage VTX 2x12 combo
four 6L6GCs tubes for power amp and SS pre amp. Built in phaser, spring reverb
2 Black Widows

+1
Great warm clean sounds, for the cost of a high end pedal.
There are a bunch of these 2x12's that offer great bang for the buck, the Classic is a particular fave of mine, at 60 watts its a little more controllable then the Deuce & Mace, but still plenty loud for most gigs, and the re tube cost is much less.
Earlier versions (known as the 100 series) have trem instead of the phaser, and OEM speakers sourced from Eminence, which may or may not work for you, as they tend to be a bit muddy in their old age.
Try to get one with the foot switch as it is proprietary, special order and can cost almost as much as the amp :shock:.

There are also some PV all tube 1x12 combos including a 4 6l6 100watt "mini" mosnster that was obvously inspired by a Boogie that can be had for ony a bit more than the 2x12's

On the Fender front the "75" and it's companions don't get alot of love, but can yield some cool sounds. More expesive than the PV's (but just as heavy!) at around $500; they are handwired US made amps that some indie band is going to "discover" & then you will wish you had bought one after they triple in price..:cool:
The Champ 25/25SE are good "small" (1x12) options for warm "Fender Cleans" for those on a tight budget The OD is pretty agressive, but works VERY well if you have need for a smallish amp with high gain on tap. With a bit of looking clean examples can be had for @$150-175

For Marshall I really like the AVT 20:oops:
Yes I know it's tube pre only but I consistanly get useful sounds out of mine & at the current street price of $100-$125 for a Celestion equipped, UK made "Box of Rock" it's hard to go wrong...if you don't like it think of the value as a conversation piece when you use it for a night stand.

Singin' Dave
September 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Most have been covered here but the sleepers I have experience w/ are:

late 60's/70's Traynor YGM-3 Guitarmate. Excellent handwired 1x12s w/ trem and reverb that can be found for under $400

Early/mid 60's Ampegs (R12R being my fave ~$500

Crate Vintage Club 20/30/50 - solid performers for low $$

Although well know here, the Vox Pathfinder 15R is a hell of an amp for low dough

Fender Musicmaster Bass amp - another neat handwired 1x12 obtainable for low $

Mesa Boogie Studio .22+ and Subway Rocket - great little amps, again ~ $500

twintwelve
September 26th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Mesa .50 Caliber+
Yamaha G50&100-212, 210, 410, etc. cool dirt cheap SS amps with lots of cool clean tones on hand
Silvertone piggyback Twintwelve
Randall SS combos-80's

mr.danny
September 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Pre-1955 Fender amps (aka Wide Panel) are fantastic, and much ignored in favor of the 1955 - 1960 narrow panel versions. For extra sleeper credit, get a wide panel that's been retweeded or has the wrong speaker, and you might find yourself with a classic for under a grand.

purpletele
September 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'm going to go with 50's Gibsons. They had what the Crestlines and later lacked in spades. There are still staying fairly affordable. I paid $275 for my 58' Gibsonette two years ago.

dangerine49
September 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Mid '90s Ampeg tube amps. I have an Ampeg Jet II. 15 watts, 1x12, reverb, tremolo, looks great. I've seen them go as low as $250 on the 'Bay. Compare that to other 1x12 15 watters on the market. The Rocket series from the same era look and sound great too.

While looking for one sleeper, I found another.

I have been on a hunt for a 1 X 12 combo recently. I was trying to find a Traynor dealer (for a YCV20) on Long Island last week and found out it was out of business. I stopped in to another shop nearby and tried out a slightly used Ampeg Reissue Reverberocket R-12R. Incredible chimey clean tones, beautiful reverb and real nice warm overdrive. I walked out with it for $375.

http://h1.ripway.com/dangerine49/Ampeg%20R-12R%20front.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/dangerine49/Ampeg%20R-12R%20top.jpg

joeismyname
September 26th, 2011, 05:09 PM
blackstar HT series

Rockdog
September 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Carvin Vintage Series...seriously good tone for short money. The SOAK control is awesome...it really lets you saturate the tubes at lower volumes. Some sort of built-in attenuator, I'd assume. That's a concept that I'm surprised more amp builders don't use. I dunno, maybe others can't use it if Carvin patented it.

PraiseCaster
September 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Number 1 pick, Pignose G40V: 40 watt, 6L6 tube, Bassman circuit with a Master Volume. Needed a lil tweaking, but it turned into a raging big bottle Plexi! I paid 200 bucks out the door for it a little over 9 years ago. She's got problems right now, but I'm gettin her fixed, because the tone she delivers is unbelievable. Oh, and it is now discontinued.

Number 2: Crate V18. Marshallesque goodness, that only cost me 150 bucks as they discontinued it (only made it for a couple of years). Needed a speaker change (stock speaker was dreadful at best), but that transformed it from an anemic amp, to a great little 15 watt amp! Oh, and the reverb tank was a joke, but I dont use reverb, so I ripped it out and threw it away.

TheSmokingMan
September 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
on the vintage amps ... tube silvertones, especially the 1481.

+1 on the sovtek mig amps for something more recent and high wattage

bogen challenger tube PA amps for the re-purposing crowd

scantron81
September 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I picked up a brand new Sovtek Mig 50 10 years ago for $50. All it needed was a fuse and a wall plug. It was a beast. Sure it was ugly but it took pedals well and could pummel a crowd through a 4x12 cab. I sold it for $500+ when the Black Keys took off around '03, '04.

Viejo
September 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Supro Vibraverb . Sort of a Valco knock off of a Brown Vibroverb but with Jensen alnico 10's

ac15
September 26th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Vintage Ampegs in general. I have two. A Rocket from 1959 and a 1960 Jet. They both have a lot of "vibe" to them. Cool, tweedlike circuits. Also they can be found reasonably priced.

A lot of folks also like the Geminis (used to own a 1965), Reverberockets and the 70's Ampegs.

Ampeg also had reverb in their amps before Fender did.

September 26th, 2011, 11:40 PM
My 1969 Webster TP-12 PA amp.....12 watt (RCA black plate) 6V6 PP....with an original Amperex Bugle Boy EF86 front end.
$20 yard sale find, that's been totally recapped......absolutely awesome!

Steve

refin
September 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Early '70s Univox amps.
Even though some are selling them for more than I think is fair,these amps are great! I had the stack in the first pic,and the other guitarist had a 4-10" Bassman type that smoked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/refin/Steve%20Stuff/Univox1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/refin/Steve%20Stuff/univox2.jpg

Jim Dep
September 27th, 2011, 01:52 AM
+1

There are also some PV all tube 1x12 combos including a 4 6l6 100watt "mini" mosnster that was obvously inspired by a Boogie that can be had for ony a bit more than the 2x12's

=======================

For Marshall I really like the AVT 20:oops:
Yes I know it's tube pre only but I consistanly get useful sounds out of mine & at the current street price of $100-$125 for a Celestion equipped, UK made "Box of Rock" it's hard to go wrong...if you don't like it think of the value as a conversation piece when you use it for a night stand.

Sounds like we've got similar good taste in amps. :smile: Do you know the name of that PV 1x12 amp? That might be just what the doc ordered for me.

+1 on the Marshall AVT 20. It sounds huge for a 20w amp. I love the clean and OD tones on this little guy along with the spring reverb. The AVT 20 kicks serious butt, regardless of having only one pre amp tube. I'd have a hard time turning one down if I can find it at a good price.

I recently picked up a AVT 275 , but the volume on the OD channels is only a fraction of what it should be. Someday, soon I hope, I'll get around to troubleshooting it. The clean tone on this amp is wonderful. Plenty of headroom at 150w's. I run a tube screamer on the clean channel and the crunch tones sound vintage Marshall to my ear. It's unfortunate that the AVT's got mostly bad reviews. Due to the high purchase price of higher end Marshall gear, I'm guessing that the negativity comes mostly from the Marshall all tube purists that maybe felt a little threatened by good sounding amps that are mostly solid state. For someone who's on the fence about getting one of these, I'd recommend keeping an open mind and judge for yourself.

Warm Gums
September 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Do you know the name of that PV 1x12 amp? That might be just what the doc ordered for me.
The one I was familar with was owned by a school I taught at..oddly enough I don't remember exactly what model it was ( I usualy retain that kind of "useless information")
However from a quick seach I suspect it was a MX 112 (4x 6l6..Black Widow) They never used it; "too loud" lol. Apparently some have a problem where the tubes get loose in the sockets, arc & cause tranny problems, so check 'em carefuly.
The interwebs show this as a member of the VTX series (ss pre) so there may be other PV "Boogie Clones" as I distinctly recall this one as being all tube.

ClassA
September 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'm playing a Gibson GA-15RV right now that was made by Trace for them, it screams.. Does not get a Fender clean but it gets a great cross between a Vox/Marshall sound when fully cranked. Just had mine retubed with some Eurotubes and its a monster. I've never seen anyone out playing one, maybe because there's no master vol. on it?

Hey and +1 on Backalleyblues recommendation of the Acoustic. I had it and i loved it. I kept blowing it up because the speaker impedance was way off, my fault though, I had put a new speaker in and did not notice that it was the wrong version., but it got a great "Mesa" sound at a fraction of the cost.

Jim Dep
September 27th, 2011, 01:12 PM
T
However from a quick seach I suspect it was a MX 112 (4x 6l6..Black Widow) They never used it; "too loud" lol. Apparently some have a problem where the tubes get loose in the sockets, arc & cause tranny problems, so check 'em carefuly.

I'm wondering if a Tom's Tube Tamer kind of contraption might solve that problem if someone plays at high volume. I'd modify one to fit if I end up with an amp like this....hope I do :smile:

gibsonjunkie
September 27th, 2011, 01:33 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~nicholas.caruso/images/Music_Room/2008_07240006.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~nicholas.caruso/images/Music_Room/2008_07240005.JPG

bdgregory
September 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm wondering if a Tom's Tube Tamer kind of contraption might solve that problem if someone plays at high volume. I'd modify one to fit if I end up with an amp like this....hope I do :smile:
I had a Crate VFX5112-50 that had a tube tamer like cage holding its EL34 tubes in place. The one used in that amp was somewhat more elegant and solid than a Tube Tamer, and would be the right way to go for any amp that had concerns with tubes rattling or dislodging.

btw - the vfx5112-50 (or 5212-50) is also somewhat of a sleeper amp. Great cleans, nice jazzy tone. The onboard digital effects aren't great but they are fun. These are all tube amps that can be found for <$300

johnnylaw
September 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
+1 on the Gibson Goldtone GA15 RV.

These are very musical amps, and far more versatile than the simple contral scheme might lead one to believe. The clean tone is great when volumes are subdued, but when it starts gettin' loud, it begins to compress and scream in a very natural way. Delightfully touch-sensitive.

Gold Rush
September 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
For me, it would be a Premier Model 71 like my '54 shown here. Most people don't even know these things exist. If you've ever heard early Link Wray stuff, then this is the model he rumbled with. Has 8 tubes (w/pair of 6L6's), tremolo, Jensen 12" electro-dynamic speaker (no magnet), and a pair of Jensen 3" for highs. :grin:

I've been restoring this one for most of the year, will have it all back together soon (maybe I'll do a thread if anyone's interested).

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1544/premier71unfinished700x.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/premier71unfinished700x.jpg/)

Here's Link c.1958 with his Supro Dual Tone and 1954 Premier 71:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9600/link67.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/link67.gif/)

ClassA
September 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hey Gold Rush - Thats a beauty!! Some real living room art.

adeiderich
September 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I have to mention the often maligned Bassman Ten. Sure they have their faults and there's nowhere to turn them wide open. But they have 50 watts of Fender clean thru 4 tens, very pedal friendly and can be had for less than a used Delta Blues.

That said I'd trade it for a VTM 60 in a heartbeat

Good call, I've always lusted the Bassman Ten and there are plenty of 'em out there but you have to find one within driving distance because they're too heavy to ship!

Vuk69
September 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'd have to vote for Lectrolab/Sound Project amps from the late 50's/early 60's. Ginchy, lower-budget amps in line with the Danelectro amps of that era (pressed carboard cabs, cool hammertoned chassis, Jensen speakers, etc). Still relative sleepers as far as all-tube vintage amps go.

As mentioned...Old Gibson amps (pre-62) would have had my vote 10 years ago, but I think the jig is up on those. Many guys have caught on to these amps. Still a bargain compared to Fender tweeds, but not at the low prices they used to be at!

Early Alamo's are another great bargain...fairly well made and sound great!

Gold Rush
September 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hey Gold Rush - Thats a beauty!! Some real living room art.

Thanks ClassA.

dqami
September 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Kustom Defender 5H . $100, just a volume knob and way more power than it's rated.

RubyRae
September 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I'm a firm believer in the silverface Fender Princeton (non reverb), amazing clean tone, and nice tremolo. It's the perfect amp 12 watt amp IMO. The prices are going up, but many still overlook the magic of this amp, and is often overshadowed by the Princeton Reverb. I also enjoy the simplicity and raw power of the MusicMaster Bass Amp.
I spent 500 on my Princeton, and 200 on my MMB.

You guys have me intrigued by the Ampegs now too. There are some real good deals out there, just need to have some cash on hand, and quick to draw.

ghall
September 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Peavey Classic 50

SamBooka
September 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm not, so thanks for the inside info. Would rather have something that is a bit more forward looking. And easier on my back :wink:

No problem.. just doing my part to keep the price down ;)

jbdrumbo
September 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Of all the blackface and silverface era Fenders, the Band Master is, comparatively, the sleeper.

bigben55
September 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Kustom Defender 5H . $100, just a volume knob and way more power than it's rated.

I really like my $50 craigslist Kustom Contender. A great little practice amp.

pedenphoto
September 27th, 2011, 11:48 PM
IMHO the sleepers are any pre CBS Fenders with 15" speakers and any pre CBS Fender non reverb amps that are also available with reverb. Make sense?

hollowman
September 27th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Another vote for Peavey DB, either 2x10 or 1x15. you can find them used for $300 or $350. great tube amp for the $ IMO

Elias Graves
September 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I think the older US made Crate amps are sleepers.The white tolex vintage style,Palaminos,and the VFX tubes series are great amps.

Heck yeah! The V30s are terrific and great bargains, too.

+1 on the Peavey Delta Blues, as well.

EG

StephaninMelb
January 12th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I have to say that the Dean Markley Signature Series 120 models T-120R / T-120 / T-60R are real sleepers. Fantastic tone if serviced correctly and the few offered for sale go for "give away" prices. These amps have excellent tone definition from the lows to glassy highs. They can do blues - funk - rock - jazz -anything other than pure all out Norwegian death metal. In tone they go from Fender '58 Bassman - Dual reverb to Marshall JCM800 with some Mesa Boogie flavour. I especially like the T-120R Deanos, which with Winged-C 6L6GC power tubes can an unbelievably wide spectrum of tone. Only downside is that like any good tube (valve) amp they need a person with electronics tech knowledge. So unless a person has that skill or willing to pay a technician best to stay away from these.

Other sleeper valve amps are the Dean Markley CD Series all valve amps from the mid-to-late 80s. These had circuits similar to the RM series but packaged as 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 combos/ This is what Eric Lifeson (Rush), Scott Field and many more played... Dean Markley has recently "reissued" the CD-30 and CD-60. I imagine it is not long before he will reissue the CD-120 and CD-212. These amps have really lovely crisp cleans. Good for any genre that fits a clean to warm to crunch sound...

All the Dean Markley amps mentioned use 6L6GC power tubes except for the CD-30, which use 6V6. The CD-120 & CD-212 are interesting in that they can turn one bank power valves off to run at 60 watts or 120 watts with all four tubes lit. Running at 1/2 power you can overdrive the power tubes earlier at a lower volume. The CD series make nice recording amps... The other cool thing is that whether new or used the price is more than worth it for what you get. IMHO

If you see any of the above models go cheap "snap it up"

I read about some guy tearing out the guts of a used CD-60 amp to build a home design project into it. Little did he know that he is unlikely to get better sound out of his own effort. He just threw away 1200 bucks of sound, which is what a new one will set you back.

hotrodkid
January 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I have two of these, both 100 watt 1-12 combos with a factory Celestion G 100H speakers.

One is an early one from 1984 that I have to run a pair of 6550's in over the quad of 6L6's it was originally desiged for (current production 6L6's don't cut it) And another one from 1986 that has no problem with new 6L6's (slightly different transformer)

The clean channels on both of them will eat up any Twin and spit it out for breakfast! Really. The Gain channel is somewhere between a Boogie MK I and MK II.

The coolest thing about these amps is the Governor. These beast are as loud as a Boogie Mark amp but with the Governor you can push the power tubes w/o the crazy volume. Awesome.

These amps, like some early Boogies are widely misunderstood. But, the magic lies inside. Trust me.

I paid a combined $850 for the pair. Not bad for two 100 watt handbuilt amps with massive irons and great Celestion speakers.

If anybody has one PM me and I will tell you a little secret regarding how to dial them in.

uriah1
January 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Gibson missle line (minuteman,mercury,atlas)
and
I wish I had my Oahu from 60's . It was a brute, 6l6 monster. I spray painted
it red when we called ourselves the red barons.

k tone
January 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Traynor YCV40WR. Great quality, good looks, and very well thought out performance features. I rarely see it recommended in threads but feel it's one of the best $800 40watt amps.

I have the YCV40T with black tolex and 2x10 speakers. The clean channel wows me every time I plug in.

StephaninMelb
January 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
A few of the 1980s Dean Markley valve amps are sleepers:

Signature Series 120 Model T-120R and T120
CD Series CD30 / CD60 / CD120 / CD212

All 6L6GC power valves with 12Ax7 preamp sections. Go from early Fender clean to crunch. On the used market they are way under priced for the tone they are capable of outputting.

Tonemonkey
January 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
A few of the 1980s Dean Markley valve amps are sleepers:

Signature Series 120 Model T-120R and T120
CD Series CD30 / CD60 / CD120 / CD212

All 6L6GC power valves with 12Ax7 preamp sections. Go from early Fender clean to crunch. On the used market they are way under priced for the tone they are capable of outputting.

Didn't you just say that this morning? :roll:

supersoldier71
January 12th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Peavey Classic Series.

Here's my Classic 50 410 and Les Paul Special

http://i44.tinypic.com/qq47k9.jpg

Televised
January 12th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have and could recommend late '60's Silvertone's. Jack White and I like these and Mr. White doesn't like much, (based on my initial impression from watching, "It Might Get Loud"....but I digress.)
Made with real crumble in your hand particle board and tear away gray tolex by Sears, (in reality Danoelectric). However, you definitely can't judge a book by it's cover and inside my rig, (1483), are 2 RCA 6L6's and 2 12AX7's that are still going strong, (at 23 watts), and a 1x15 Jensen speaker. Very nice Fenderish clean tones and these are still out there and pop up on CL from time to time. If they are in good shape, reasonably priced, they are well worth it.

Teleglide
January 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM

+1 My mid-60s Ampeg Rocket (non-verb) is killer, especially in the studio.

pedenphoto
January 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
All pre CBS Fender amps are worth collecting and playing but there are 2 categories that are currently out of favor: The big blackface amps, Twin Reverb, Bandmaster, Concert and the small blackface combos that lack reverb Princeton, Deluxe. Of course all values are relative but I've seen good pre CBS Twin Reverbs go begging at less than a Princeton Reverb from the same era. Should you ever want to sell or trade one of these sleepers it will be easier to off load a pre CBS Fender than most any other brand.

dada
January 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I think the Rivera era Fenders are fantastic amps. I have a 1982 Champ II and a 1983 Princeton reverb II. Both of them just scream. Here they are....

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7188/cimg0795d.jpg
By dada1952 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/dada1952) at 2011-12-23

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2230/cimg0688r.jpg
By dada1952 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/dada1952) at 2011-09-09

jammers5
January 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hughes and Kettner Dual Statesman EL84. Not a popular amp, owned one and should have never sold it.

J5

Paul in Colorado
January 16th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Rivera Amps.

New ones are expensive, but they don't get much on the used market. I have an S120-210 a stereo chorus amp. It runs 60 watts into each speaker powered by two EL 34's per side. Put a good delay in the loop and you have one of the best country/rockabilly amps anywhere. Mine has "rat fur" carpet and a steel grill that gives it an "industrial" look that a lot of folks don't go for. Listen with your ears, grasshopper!

I like the 65 watt 2 x 10 Music Man amps a lot and own a Traynor Bassmaster from the '70's. Patch in a reverb unit and you have a sound that will make a Fender amp jealous.

theGecko71
January 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Yep got a Gemini II myself.

Heck any of them are good- jets, reverberockets, mercuries, geminis, depending on what you want it for. You can get a 45-50 year old handwired amp for less than you get a new Peavey for

I used to have a Gemini iv (I think it was). I really wish I still had that amp because the Ampegs had something unique. My Gemini had a great, warm clean tone, with a huge low end (probably that 15" Jensen speaker). I'm considering getting one of the new Ampegs, the GVT15, to see if it captures that old tone. Nice looking amps.

TF73
January 16th, 2012, 03:52 PM
My carvin x60 from the eighties was cheap, but great clean channel plus a nice reverb and its really loud!!

die Bullen
January 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM
+1 My mid-60s Ampeg Rocket (non-verb) is killer, especially in the studio.

I know I said early to mid-60's Ampegs but I'd be doing my amps a discredit if I left out the 50's Ampegs- if you can find them. I have 2- a '58 Jet and a '58 New Yorker.

SamClemons
January 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I would add here in the south, oddball amps like Laneys get little action.

jmiles
January 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Ric Transonics! I had a Transonic 100. Killer amp! Didn't sound like a SS amp, sounded like a clean tube amp. The trapezoid shape made it a pita to carry though.
http://jzu.free.fr/rick/amp/transonic.html

jmiles
January 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Fenton-Weill. Here's my Cadet.

jmiles
January 16th, 2012, 07:21 PM
And,,,, If you find a '52 Fender that looks like this,,, Do not Tweed it up. This is a factory finish. Gray Roxatone paint, made in a small run for a music store in Indiana. I know of three. Gibbons has one. Mine needs grillcloth though.

Scantron08
January 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I have and could recommend late '60's Silvertone's. Jack White and I like these and Mr. White doesn't like much, (based on my initial impression from watching, "It Might Get Loud"....but I digress.)
Made with real crumble in your hand particle board and tear away gray tolex by Sears, (in reality Danoelectric). However, you definitely can't judge a book by it's cover and inside my rig, (1483), are 2 RCA 6L6's and 2 12AX7's that are still going strong, (at 23 watts), and a 1x15 Jensen speaker. Very nice Fenderish clean tones and these are still out there and pop up on CL from time to time. If they are in good shape, reasonably priced, they are well worth it.

+1

Was wondering when someone would bring up the old Silvertones. (Now if we can discuss them without bringing up Jack White or the movie - don't get me wrong, I love JW and it's a killer movie, but it seems to be the only reason why folks know about these now.) I play through a 1484 and it is a monster. I actually got mine free, as it was being thrown out as trash by a neighbor, but even in mint condition they don't get much higher than $350.
3mKO9csAjZA

KC
January 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Gibson Goldtone GA-15 / GA-15RV / GA-30 are very likable amps, I'm headed south for the next few months & the GA15 is the only amp coming with me. Really loud for a practice amp but a really small package & will handle a good-size gig. Sounds good until you turn it up past halfway, then great after that.

Ampeg Ampeg Ampeg.

Marshall combos don't seem to get the love the head & cab versions do. I had a 50-watt 2x12 JCM800 combo that was a killer amp -- when it worked. Others have had better luck.

And for a real sleeper, if you ever see a Bantam amp grab it. I gigged with one for ten years. Solid state but good sounding, compact, and with the white-frame EV speaker in it, that thing would kick out some serious volume.

jameslandrum2
December 10th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Fender Champ 25SE. I know they have an SS preamp, BUT....
I picked up a Fender Greta cheap ($99) and plugged it into the effect loop in (power amp in). WOW, clean, lots of headroom, growls nicely at volume. The Greta has a 12Ax7 preamp, and the 25SE has a 2-6l6 power amp. Plugging the line out for the Greta into the power amp in of the 25SE bypasses the SS 25SE preamp, and creates an all tube amp that just sings. Oh, paid $129 for the 25SE, so the whole deal was $US 228. Oops, forgot. Replaced the Fender Special speaker (12") with a Weber Signature 12S alnico 25 watt ($25) so now we're at $253. Still, sounds better than a blues jr or pro jr and is $150 less. Killer.

mr.danny
December 11th, 2012, 11:23 AM
"you don't see a lot of them"

Especially the VK, not too many places to let that dog run...

And I mean "dog" as in Greyhound, not mutt...

Played one in a shop yesterday. Unless I wanted everyone in the very large shop to be blasted, I had to keep the amp BELOW 1 on the dial. Onboard reverb was crap too, compared to a 3 knob 6G15, or even to normal onboard reverb. Who knows, it probably sounds great on '7', at least in the first 5 seconds before you go deaf.

telesteel
December 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Fender Zodiac amps are sleepers. Few have ever played them but everyone disses them. If you like clean, they sound very good indeed.

homesick345
December 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM
the ultralinear Fender Master Volumes of the lates 70s.

Not near as bad as some think.

deadicated
December 11th, 2012, 11:55 AM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/guitargasass/IMG_7484.jpg

These old Supro's sound great.

Maricopa
December 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Ampeg J-20. Basically a Brown Deluxe circuit. Tube tremolo, PTP wiring, extremely solid build and in the $400 range.

morgansofas
February 17th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I think that nostalgia, availability and age of the buyer has a lot to do with the creation of desirable, for example, it wasn't that many years ago that many thought 70's Strats to be the worst, but now they sell for an increasingly high price. So the aged 20 somethings that were born at the time of the red knob Fenders will possibly be more tolerant of PCBs and so the cycle goes on...USA Hot Rods will be after that I predict

Riffraff12571
February 17th, 2013, 06:36 AM
+1

Was wondering when someone would bring up the old Silvertones. (Now if we can discuss them without bringing up Jack White or the movie - don't get me wrong, I love JW and it's a killer movie, but it seems to be the only reason why folks know about these now.) I play through a 1484 and it is a monster. I actually got mine free, as it was being thrown out as trash by a neighbor, but even in mint condition they don't get much higher than $350.

+2

Since getting my first 1482 it has become my favorite little grab & go. They just rip!

QYIqtnMru1g

morgansofas
February 17th, 2013, 06:49 AM
...also (in the the UK anyway) Session amps are ones to watch. 1980's SS amps that were used by the likes of Clapton

moondogz
February 17th, 2013, 07:01 AM

1973 Traynor YGM-3, bought mine for $500.00 a few years ago. Had to replace some caps and install a 3 prong plug. Sounds awesome imo.

Chicago Slim
February 17th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Kustom tube amps (not the old SS amps), made within the past 10 years. I own a '36 Coupe Made In USA, and a V15 Defender that was made in China. One is a $900 amp and the other is a $300 amp. They are very different, but both offer a lot at their price point.

AlabamaOutlaw
February 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Crate Vintage Club....The Frender Hot Rod killer, In sound...Not sales! Lol

uriah1
February 17th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Gibson GA20rvt..minuteman

Tone controls are so dynamic past 8...great trem too..

telex76
February 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Most of the amps I considered sleepers just a few years, people have awoke to.

charlie chitlin
February 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Strange to say that a well-known Fender amp is underrated, but I think the Super Reverb is totally misunderstood.
Not squeaky clean like a Twin.
Very satisfying overdrive at volumes well below grass-killing levels.
Big, fat and warm.
And...you can sit on it.

Brian J.
February 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM
i'm chasing a kutom 36 coupe right now waiting on a responce from the owner, $150 that's a sleeper

3 Chord
February 18th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I think that nostalgia, availability and age of the buyer has a lot to do with the creation of desirable, for example, it wasn't that many years ago that many thought 70's Strats to be the worst, but now they sell for an increasingly high price. So the aged 20 somethings that were born at the time of the red knob Fenders will possibly be more tolerant of PCBs and so the cycle goes on...USA Hot Rods will be after that I predict

+1 only I would like to add that it may be what amps we used most when we were gigging at a certain time in our lives. We all slow down and play out less overtime and then 10 years later see that piece of used gear and we go all gaga over it.

Same goes for cars, fishing reels or what ever your into.:rolleyes:

Stonehead
February 20th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Mesa Express series, often overlooked and highly underrated due to the fact they don't do the modern metal tones. They do everything else brilliantly. Beautiful sounding amps.

BobbyZ
February 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Here's an Ampeg GV-22 I picked up for 150 bucks in nonworking condition. A 12ax7 got it working then I recapped it and pulled the one Jensen C12N out for another amp. Other speaker was a cheap car woofer. It's got a pair of Pyle Drivers now.
Not a bad sounding amp at all I just don't use it much.

BB
February 20th, 2013, 08:24 PM
There are some great sleepers listed here. The Kusom 32 and 72 models are great amps. Anything Ampeg is aces in my book. Hoping to land a Jet or Gemini one of these days. I had a big ol VT with 4 10's back in the early 80's. It was as loud as it was heavy! Music Man's are nice too. I had a little RD50 back in the day and regret ever selling it. Gibson amps are real nice too.

One cool little I saw/heard (don't know if you could call it a sleeper though as I never seen another) some time back was a Tiesco.....can't tell ya much about it other than it had a single 12 and (what I believe were) a couple of 6L6 tubes. A fella was plaing some nice blues on that thing and he milked quite an amazing amoung of tones out of it. One of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

goldtopper
February 20th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Crate Palomino V16. The best of the bunch.

muchxs
February 20th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Fender Super Twin. More amp for less money than any other vintage Fender.

NastyMojo
July 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I gotta say Crate Palomino V8 amps. I just picked one up for $40 bucks even. It's very nice! Awesome Marshall-esque Tones!

barrymclark
July 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Crate VC508. Fender Excelsior. Gibson GA40rvt. Marshall Class 5 (wish these were made better; my buddy handles the repair shipments for a large store and these are constantly going out to repair.).

Thin69
July 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I have to add one more vote for old Ampegs. I have a old 18 watt Reverbrocket II that has tone to die for, best spring reverb I have ever heard and is built like a tank. Tremolo circuit is outstanding. I rebuilt it completely a few years back and there is nothing cheap about the design, materials used and the workmanship. These are fiberboard construction (not PCB!!) just like Fenders of the same era and the fiberboard is damn near impossible to screw up when you are soldering on it. I am pretty certain all the Ampegs of that era were built to the same construction standards.

The biggest downsides is that a lot of them used tubes that are not easy to find. The power tubes on mine (7591's) are now made once again happy to report but it has a triple triode (6U10) that is no longer made but there seems to be lots of NOS. If your going to buy an Ampeg you can get a bargin but be sure to find out what tubes are in the amp you are buying and check for availability. Ampeg made lots of changes on the fly for the same model amp depending what components they had at the time. My amp has the 2 schematic in the speaker box due to a change in process. BTW 7591's are great sounding power tubes. Ampeg used many different power tubes including some with 6V6's & 6L6's.

homesick345
July 7th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Fender Super Twin. More amp for less money than any other vintage Fender.

Aaaaah this Muchxs guy. I was right to wait for your answer. THere are a couple floating around. Guys would sell them by the Kg. :)

rebelwoclue
July 8th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Peavey Classic VTX(hybrid)
Hot Rod Deluxe- doesn't get enough recognition against the Twin Reverbs & Deluxe Reverbs but has great sound to my ears. You can get a used one pretty cheap and get great tone out of it.

davidchagrin
July 8th, 2013, 09:14 PM
My Super Champ XD. When this amp eventually kicks the bucket, I may quit music...

brockw
July 9th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I'm really suprised no one has brought up Harmony. Ken Fischer from Train wreck amps wrote about the Harmony H415 as one of the biggest sleepers. I bought mine for $80.00 and had an awakening when I turned it up. 18 Watts, el84 based with Tremolo and 2 Jensen C12R speakers. I installed a good set of Holland made Hammond el84's and some mullard 12ax7's. This amp is sensitive, crank it up and turn down my guitar volume for all night grind.

blowtorch
July 9th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Crate Vintage Club....The Frender Hot Rod killer, In sound...Not sales! Lol

They sound great, until they quit working.

The Crates, that is, although the HRDX isn't exactly the least failure-prone amp ever, either

oldtelefart
July 9th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Mesa Boogie SOB. They didn't sell well back in the 80's as everyone wanted the Mark 2C+.
Somewhat rare, but the cheapest Boogie you can get.

Drawbacks: You can set it for a great lead sound OR a great clean, not both.
Pluses: Sounds great, built like military hardware, compact size.

I'm on my second one, the Limit control has been replaced by Mark 1 presence set-up.

gridlock
July 9th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Mesa Boogie SOB. They didn't sell well back in the 80's as everyone wanted the Mark 2C+.

I'm on my second one, the Limit control has been replaced by Mark 1 presence set-up.

My next amp. A Boogie for around $500.

oldtelefart
July 10th, 2013, 12:40 AM
My next amp. A Boogie for around $500.

I love mine. I use the clean input 2 with a few pedals. Sounds like a BF Fender on steroids. Re. the Limit control: Don't run it over 1.5-2, or don't use it at all.

teleforumnoob
July 10th, 2013, 01:31 AM
All mine amps are sleepers and have been mentioned
VC 2110R
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/PineAppleSlim/a3b31212-9bcb-4975-8211-7633e11fd9d9_zpsdb2d6801.jpg
Peavey Artist 240
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/amp-central-station/93738d1313986160-peavey-artist-240-cl-score-artist-240-jpeg
71 SF Bassman head
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/PineAppleSlim/bass_zps471f3b9f.jpg

MikeSRV69
July 10th, 2013, 01:52 AM
My entry would be the Marshall 3203 Artist heads from the mid 80's. Like a Music Man, they are solid state preamps with tube power and are tremendously undervalued. I just picked up one in red tolex off TGP for less than $400 and it sounds tremendous. Think ZZ Top.

harleysr
July 10th, 2013, 02:54 AM
VHT Pitbull 45 is a stellar sounding amp that is relatively obscure.

I also think the Tweaker 15 heads are vastly overlooked.

Robus
July 10th, 2013, 04:58 AM
I'm playing a Gibson GA-15RV right now that was made by Trace for them, it screams.. Does not get a Fender clean but it gets a great cross between a Vox/Marshall sound when fully cranked. Just had mine retubed with some Eurotubes and its a monster. I've never seen anyone out playing one, maybe because there's no master vol. on it?

I have a Trace-Elliot Velocette, which I think is essentially the same amp. It's a non-reverb, 15 watt combo with EL84s and a Celestion Vintage 10 inch speaker. I bought it new in the late 90s at a Music-Go-Round for cheap. It's a killer little amp. No master volume, one tone knob and a bright switch. Set the volume past halfway, engage the bright switch, and it'll take you right into Vox territory. Very useful to have around. I keep it in my TV room to play late at night because it sounds just as good soft as loud. For home recording, I stick a microphone in front of it when I want something that doesn't sound like a Fender or a Marshall.

These amps had a reputation for blowing their output transformers. Sure enough, mine blew about a year after I bought it. Trace sent me a new transformer under warranty--and they threw in a second transformer as a spare. That was more than ten years ago and I haven't needed the spare yet.

bdgregory
July 10th, 2013, 08:21 AM
there sure are a lot of sleeper amps! I'll add another:

my vintage Sound Electronics X-305r. it's a '60s all tube all tag board construction 2 channel amp. It uses 7868 output tubes and a 15" Jensen C12n.

BourbonSamurai
July 10th, 2013, 08:22 AM
My entry would be the Marshall 3203 Artist heads from the mid 80's. Like a Music Man, they are solid state preamps with tube power and are tremendously undervalued. I just picked up one in red tolex off TGP for less than $400 and it sounds tremendous. Think ZZ Top.

+1

eddie knuckles
July 10th, 2013, 08:52 AM
DV Mark 40 212

LIGHT - 37lbs -
can swap EL-34, 6V6 or 6L6 and the amp self biases!
2 neodymium speakers behave like alnicos, but considerably lighter weight.

:0)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/chubbo_2006/IMAG0149_zps6d25b433.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/chubbo_2006/media/IMAG0149_zps6d25b433.jpg.html)

new2twang
July 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Ones I've had or currently have:
Crate VC 2110R
Jet City JCA20H
Peavey Bravo (though I never quite bonded with mine)

telemystix
July 12th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Fender CVR

jackal
July 14th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Lab Series. Serious tone. May not be tube, but could fool most of us.

David Barnett
July 14th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I think blackface Fenders without reverb, such as the Deluxe-Amp, Vibrolux-Amp, and Pro-Amp are sleepers.

And the Naugahyde tuck-and-roll Kustom 100 and 200 amps.

Casey4s
July 14th, 2013, 01:08 AM
+1

I see I am not the only vintage Silvertone lover here.

I still have a Silvertone 1484 I bought new in 1963/4 from Sears. It is a killer amp with the stock Jensen C12N speakers still in the speaker cabinet. The pressed board cabinets started to come apart a few years ago so I built all new cabinets and covered them in black Tolex. Mine was well used before Jack White was even born.

It is still a viable killer amp today.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/Casey4s/Retro%20Gear/95bd.jpg (http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Casey4s/media/Retro%20Gear/95bd.jpg.html)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/Casey4s/Retro%20Gear/6dfa.jpg (http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Casey4s/media/Retro%20Gear/6dfa.jpg.html)

Somebody mentioned the Musicmaster Bass a few pages back, and that is another cool little sleeper amplifier. Mine has the 6AQ5 output tubes, and an upgrade to a 12 Alnico speaker. Sounds terrific.

Jim Dep
July 14th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Since I got a Fender Mustang III, I consider my tube amps as sleepers.

There's one snoring in the corner over there.......

Jim Dep
July 14th, 2013, 01:16 AM

That's my dream amp. It's #1 on my amp bucket list. Actually I'd prefer just a straight Boogie Mk1 but it's not likely that I'll find one I can afford.

The SOB is basically the same thing right? I'll take one!!

frogger
July 14th, 2013, 04:22 PM
A few of the all time greats:
Peavey Classic 50 4-10's
Gibson 50's offerings... Magnificent tones
Early 1960's Ampegs
Gibson Lab Series...BB Kings fav
Fender Vibro-King...King for a reason but they are really heavy bastards ( I know, I own a blond one). :)

waparker4
July 14th, 2013, 04:44 PM
1. Not rare but not widely used..They fly under the radar..
2. Not a boutique amp or an amp priced in away that makes them rare..
3. Their (subjectable) tone gives them value to you..not their brand name..

Carvin Nomad or Bel Air, VT 50.

Rare cause they are sold factory direct, but the sound for dollar ratio is very high on them if you buy new or even higher if you buy used, I don't expect mine will have any trouble in the reliability department. Quietest amp I own (noisewise). Clean channel is very useful and giggable, drive channel not quite as useful.. I plan to do the cheap and easy mods to make it better. Has a lot of nice features too and relatively lightweight. Not many other MIA amps in that price range that I know of, peaveys

antennahead
July 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM
That's my dream amp. It's #1 on my amp bucket list. Actually I'd prefer just a straight Boogie Mk1 but it's not likely that I'll find one I can afford.

They are out there, but the prices have climbed. I consider my Mk IIA a sleeper, from the standpoint everyone and his brother want the holy grail, the Mk IIC+. I sent my IIA back to Mesa 12 years ago and Mike B. converted it to SimulClass for me and upgraded parts and tweaked it. He said there's no way I can turn it into a C+, there were changes made to the board for that, but it's probably close to a IIC without actually being one. Fantastic clean and overdriven tone! Nothing like 15 watts class A through EL34s to put a smile on your face. That's loud too, handles all the clubs around here without me switching it to class A/B 75 watts.

John

oldtelefart
July 14th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Mesa started making the Son of Boogie to use up parts from the Mark1 after they started making the Mark2, as I understand it.

The circuit is very similar, but simpler. (No pull pots, no graphic EQ). They made 'em 60W 2x6L6 and 100W 4x6L6, a few had reverb, some had Presence instead of Limit control, combos and heads, textured black paint or white tolex. The combos came with EVM12L or Mesa C90 speakers.

I love this amp. The size is right, the volume is right, I get a warm wonderful clean and great drive sounds with a TS9 and an MXR Comp.
Currently running a Celestion G12K-85. A bit lighter than an EV, and sounds right.

MadJack
July 14th, 2013, 11:50 PM
This is a fairly recent one and not very powerful, but the Fender Greta has some really nice vintage tone when you use the right speaker. Yes the little 4" stock speaker does sound like a transistor radio, but hook up a nice cab with a brighter toned AlNiCo speaker and be prepared for some sweet tones. I run mine with a Weber X-Cab with an AlNiCo Signature 10S for a nice warm vintage quack or kerang to a bit of crunch. Sounds incredible with my Tele.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/MadJack_2006/Amps/Fender%20Greta/P1020152_zps044526d9.jpg

waparker4
July 14th, 2013, 11:51 PM
This is a fairly recent one and not very powerful, but the Fender Greta has some really nice vintage tone when you use the right speaker. Yes the little 4" stock speaker does sound like a transistor radio, but hook up a nice cab with a brighter toned AlNiCo speaker and be prepared for some sweet tones. I run mine with a Weber X-Cab with an AlNiCo Signature 10S for a nice warm vintage quack or kerang to a bit of crunch. Sounds incredible with my Tele.

I found even the line out sounded great with a tele bridge pup.

MadJack
July 15th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I run my Line Out into my 50 Watt Peavey VT Series 212 Classic. It's a solid state pre-amp, 6L6 output. The SS pre-amp is good for this or my Vox Li'l Night Train NT2H line out/headphone output. Makes the Greta sound like a Twin on the verge of break-up to moderately driven gain. Puts the tube warmth into the SS pre-amp.

Mr Perch
July 15th, 2013, 12:39 AM
My Dean Markley CD60 does really nice Fender like cleans all the way to crazy too loud singing distortion. I never stray far from rootsy rock/country/blues terrritory but it's nice to have alittle gas in the tank if needed. I've run across the 120 wt version a few times at pawn shops here in Nashville and seen therm on ebay but not lately.

It's a great amp, but way too powerful. I own the CD 30 and I love it for soul, blues and jazz, and in a large club I might turn the master volume up to "2". It's supposedly 30 watts, but it is louder than 50-60 watt amps I have owned and gigged with. I tried the CD 60 and never made it past "1".

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/medium/rig2.jpg

bbutler356
July 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Sleeper amps?

How about Dr. ZZZZZZZZZZs?

waparker4
July 15th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I run my Line Out into my 50 Watt Peavey VT Series 212 Classic. It's a solid state pre-amp, 6L6 output. The SS pre-amp is good for this or my Vox Li'l Night Train NT2H line out/headphone output. Makes the Greta sound like a Twin on the verge of break-up to moderately driven gain. Puts the tube warmth into the SS pre-amp.

Not into the power amp input?

devnulljp
July 15th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Vintage Traynor and Garnet amps are real sleepers, and cheap as chips for what they are.

Bulldog87
July 15th, 2013, 11:27 PM
For my needs... Vox AC4! Small enough to stay nice and quiet with a little grit and it makes plenty of racket when I want it to!

Telenut62
July 15th, 2013, 11:38 PM
It's a great amp, but way too powerful. I own the CD 30 and I love it for soul, blues and jazz, and in a large club I might turn the master volume up to "2". It's supposedly 30 watts, but it is louder than 50-60 watt amps I have owned and gigged with. I tried the CD 60 and never made it past "1".

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/medium/rig2.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121141693666

MadJack
July 15th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Not into the power amp input?

Actually I tried it there, but it comes in after the spring reverb, but I get a really nice dry signal there. I use my DigiVerb there if I want a wet reverb signal. If I want the really wet spring reverb, I use the Normal B input. It's a little harder to dial in the reverb and tone there, but when you do get it dialed in, IMHO it's sweeter sounding. Don't use the BRIGHT Channel, yuk! Ice Pick, especially with a Tele with bright p'ups.

Jim Dep
July 16th, 2013, 01:43 AM
They are out there, but the prices have climbed. I consider my Mk IIA a sleeper, from the standpoint everyone and his brother want the holy grail, the Mk IIC+. I sent my IIA back to Mesa 12 years ago and Mike B. converted it to SimulClass for me and upgraded parts and tweaked it. He said there's no way I can turn it into a C+, there were changes made to the board for that, but it's probably close to a IIC without actually being one. Fantastic clean and overdriven tone! Nothing like 15 watts class A through EL34s to put a smile on your face. That's loud too, handles all the clubs around here without me switching it to class A/B 75 watts.

John

Mesa started making the Son of Boogie to use up parts from the Mark1 after they started making the Mark2, as I understand it.

The circuit is very similar, but simpler. (No pull pots, no graphic EQ). They made 'em 60W 2x6L6 and 100W 4x6L6, a few had reverb, some had Presence instead of Limit control, combos and heads, textured black paint or white tolex. The combos came with EVM12L or Mesa C90 speakers.

I love this amp. The size is right, the volume is right, I get a warm wonderful clean and great drive sounds with a TS9 and an MXR Comp.
Currently running a Celestion G12K-85. A bit lighter than an EV, and sounds right.

Thanks to you both for giving me this great detailed info. That answered a few critical questions I had to distinguish the differences between the two.

"Nothing like 15 watts class A through EL34s to put a smile on your face. "

Yeah, that's the ticket right there! I loved the reverb circuit, it was integrated with the EQ settings for what I was told. So dynamic and musical! It's hard to put the right words together to describe it.

Jim Dep
July 16th, 2013, 01:52 AM

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/MadJack_2006/Amps/Fender%20Greta/P1020152_zps044526d9.jpg

I know somebody is going to want to throw something at me, but I find my
Greta Chrome head to be a real sleeper to the point that nobody it seems, and I mean nobody knows anything about these models or won't even comment about the features.

I know it's a little basic, just having one knob. It's got numbers on it but I don't know if it's a volume or tone knob. Probably volume, huh?

I guess everybody's silence means they're not impressed, but I refuse to feel like I got burned on this deal. The pawn shop ordered the tube for me a few weeks ago, once it gets here I'll be able to give ya'll a full review on how she sounds. The tube comes from China so I gotta be payshint.

Even without the tube, it still lights up real pretty. The guy told me it's called a hi bread or something like that. It's powered by both coils and a tube. On the dark setting, I should get more crunch.

Riffraff12571
July 16th, 2013, 03:59 AM
:lol: I bet it really gets cookin' too.

Jim Dep
July 16th, 2013, 04:08 AM
:lol: I bet it really gets cookin' too.

Yeah, the guy showed me what number to put the dial on and said this sucker should smoke. Can't wait ! :grin:

Casey4s
July 16th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I am very curious about the little Greta tube amp like "MadJack's" orange one. I would love to see the schematic for that amp. It would be fun to expieriment with substituting different power tubes for the 12AT7.

Prairie Dawg
July 16th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Hmmmmmm....sleeper amps? Music Man.

zeke54
July 16th, 2013, 04:38 PM
A friend of mine has a Crate Palomino amp , I think it's around 16 watts . Sounds really cool and you can find them pretty cheap sometimes on Ebay .

Mr Perch
July 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM

You might consider joining the Dean Markley CD Series Club. (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owners-clubs/380090-dean-markley-cd-series-club.html) I think it only has about 2 members so far, and these are fabulous amps.

Teleglide
July 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM

+1 I have a mid-60's Ampeg Rocket (no verb). Great amp.

MadJack
July 16th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I am very curious about the little Greta tube amp like "MadJack's" orange one. I would love to see the schematic for that amp. It would be fun to expieriment with substituting different power tubes for the 12AT7.

I looked a little bit, but just never really saw the need for it. I like it the way it sound now. Two watts in my bedroom is plenty loud enough. If I need bigger/louder, I just plug it into my Peavey.

Jim Dep, do you have any more information on that head? Specs closer and/or internal shots?

Mr Perch
July 16th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I made a demo video for the CD 30:
LJhFszmSlh4

Jim Dep
July 17th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Jim Dep, do you have any more information on that head? Specs closer and/or internal shots?

Yeah, I'll get some stuff put together for you. What's cool too about this head is that the guitar cord and the cord that goes to your speaker cabinet are hard wired in.

I guess that saves wear and tear on the jacks..(?) I guess so because there are no jacks. :idea:

It didn't come with any paper work but I can take pictures. It's reliced to make it look like something you'd see out of the 1950's. Wow, they did an amazing job.

Once the tube arrives I'm supposed to take it back to the store and they have to put it in for me to protect the warranty from Fender. I can't even tell where the tube is supposed to go in.

I'm a little worried because the store's warranty on this used head runs out in a couple days. They said if it doesn't work for some reason that they'd give me a store credit. I don't really want no stinking store credit, so I hope it works out ok.

emisilly
July 17th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I made a demo video for the CD 30:
LJhFszmSlh4

Sounds great!!! Good demo you have there.

Mr Perch
July 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Sounds great!!! Good demo you have there.

Needless to say, the amp sounds better at a gig when I can turn it up to "2". Then it really starts to sing.

Powdog
July 17th, 2013, 07:48 PM
By sleeper, I hope you mean nobody knows what the heck is making that "killer sound". My personal favorite is an old Hammond AO-44 reverb amp with the Germanium transistor removed and a 6AV6 "Tweed Harvard" preamp installed. A pair of ECL86 tubes in an amp the size of a Motel 6 Bible. Freaking monstrous tone thru a 2x12 cab.

Jim Dep
July 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM
By sleeper, I hope you mean nobody knows what the heck is making that "killer sound". My personal favorite is an old Hammond AO-44 reverb amp with the Germanium transistor removed and a 6AV6 "Tweed Harvard" preamp installed. A pair of ECL86 tubes in an amp the size of a Motel 6 Bible. Freaking monstrous tone thru a 2x12 cab.

For my Hammond M102, the main Amp is a H-AO-29-13 and the reverb Amplifier is a AO-44-1. hmm....this is the one ?

I have a AO-35 reverb amp sitting around collecting dust. I wonder if I should swap them out and look more into what you are suggesting....

Powdog
July 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
The little AO-44 is the one I'm referring to. The AO-35 makes a great little sleeper 18 Watt amp. But the AO-44 is a different beast. Same output iron, but B+ of 260v pushing a pair of ECL86 triode/pentode tubes, which are like half of a 12AX7 and a 6AQ5 in one tube. Marshall used these tubes in a short-lived 10 watt Plexi combo. I gut everything up to the first triode, and then replace that with any number of Tweed style preamps. Made into a head, it's about the size of an old Pignose amp but will push a 2x12 or 4x12 speaker to very gigable levels. Very sweet amp, with a conjunctive filter between the pentode plates and a negative feedback loop that can be switched for a "boost switch", or put a pot in-line for a Presence control. How cool is that?

Timbertea
July 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM
+2

Since getting my first 1482 it has become my favorite little grab & go. They just rip!

QYIqtnMru1g

Riffraff, I know you probably have an EQ in the effects chain to get that tone-- what else? It sounds fantastic! When I opened for Cake way back then that is the amp that he used, and he made it sound fantastic with just a couple Proco rats in the chain! No knocking the amp -- its a mess inside to work on -- they DO sound great once you get them up to snuff, and maybe a better speaker.

All of your clips sound great. You really know how to use your ear to dial in!

Timbertea
July 19th, 2013, 08:31 PM
If you can find one & have the need for an outdoor gigging amp -- or high headroom -- the Peavey Ranger 2x12. The Ranger is like a much tighter sounding Twin reverb, with more power than all but the ultralinear twins, and it has a gain channel that can seriously boogie.

In the same vein is the Peavey Duel, but I don't like it near as much.

Very partial to the USA made Peavey Delta Blues as well. Its basically a C30 with tremolo, but its voiced a little rougher, meaner, and more lo-fi. Outstanding amp for gigging, and not too bad for home use.

Fender Bandmaster Reverbs are still a good deal.

Mid 60's Ampegs (give them a GOOD look through before powering on if its not a try before you buy situation - and a good workout if it is a place you can it first).

Fender Concerts, and Fender Tonemasters (usually not as cheap as I would like). The Tonemaster greatly benefits from an EQ pedal.

Silvertone 1482's...

Kalamazoo Model 1, 2, and Reverb 12's. The first two are more one trick SRV rude mood ponies, but the latter is a poor man's Princeton Reverb in desperate need of a better speaker.

Peavey VTM60's (or the 120 if you have tolerant neighbors). Peavey 5150's -- they can be had reasonable -- with a cap job (its that time, they are old enough), a decent reverb unit plus delay in the loop, some minor changes to preamp tubes -- you can make this amp do everything from hard rock to blues to country to rockabilly to jazz... Its not what you think of when you hear 5150, but the amp has it where it counts. No combos, get the head version.

For newer equipment -- the Roland Cube 80XL. Its SS, and modeling, but damn can this amp sing. Its great at home, and able to handle gigs from: praise & worship, to R&B, to jazz, to funk, blues, country, modern rock, classic rock, alternative, and even metal. It can hold its own unless you are playing with insanely loud musicians. I grab this amp more than I do my vintage amps, and newer tube amps.All kinds of goodness within, and can be had for $275 (*sometimes even with a footswitch). You will want ALL of the footswiches! Good delay, great loop!

I would add Rivera to the list, and I like my M100, but its too many dials to hassle with to dial in and its very twitchy. The Music Man amps are a ton easier to work with.

Old JCM800 combo's can be a lot off fun too.

frogger
July 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Best sounding amp I ever heard was an original Fender DeVille....like god was living in that box. :) Ya it's a sleeper!

Staffy
July 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
This is a great thread. The timing was impeccable too as I was on the hunt for a new amp. Because of this thread the two I was looking into were the Fender Deville and the Peavey classic 50 410. I ended up finding a old beat up Peavey for a good price and put down a deposit yesterday. It looks like it must been dragged behind a truck at some point but damn it sounds hot. Very impressed. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Definite sleeper.