$vboptions[bbtitle]

SX Vintage Series

bfloyd6969
September 21st, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hello everyone. I don't get on here often, sorry, but I'm looking at purchasing a used SX Vintage Series Tele. From what I have read, these have one piece alder bodies and vintage tint toner applied necks. Can someone tell me if the neck profiles on these are like MIM Teles? How well do these Vintage Series teles compare to CV Teles? I appreciate any info and advice you all can give me. Thanks!

JeffBeck
September 21st, 2011, 08:13 PM
SX necks are very chunky. Not really a "baseball bat" but they're definitely meatier than a Fender or Squier neck. I think they're quite comfortable for heavy chording.

ghostwolf
September 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM
rumor has it they can be hit or miss, bit that may be more the case with the older ones. mine was perfect out of the box. everything works the way it's supposed to, frets are well done, and the finish was also well done. the BSB as it was called was more of a baby poop yellow (think french's mustard-ish) so that was redone in clear lacquer. i also reshaped the headstock (old style SX) to a traditional shape.
they're great guitars, i'd definitely buy another one.

bfloyd6969
September 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
SX necks are very chunky. Not really a "baseball bat" but they're definitely meatier than a Fender or Squier neck. I think they're quite comfortable for heavy chording.

Thanks for the replies guys!

A chunky neck is still fine by me as long as it is still a chunky C shape and not a D shape. Would you call it a C or D shape?

Coffeemutt
September 21st, 2011, 11:29 PM
I've only had one, but I would say mine was more of a chunky C-shape. I really liked the sound and finish (for the price - extraordinary), but ending up selling it because the neck was just too fat for my hands. Wish I could've kept it...

Jtbeck
September 21st, 2011, 11:45 PM
Definitely "c" shaped neck.

bfloyd6969
September 22nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks again guys - good to hear about the C shape. I just have a thumb problem with D shape necks. I went ahead and told the seller I'd take it. $110 shipped and has the pickups changed to GFS Lil Killers bladed (both bridge and neck). I'm really looking forward to it and it will be my only Tele again seeing how I had to sell my Fender '72 Custom a while back when in a pinch for some cash...

Jtbeck
September 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
Congrats, those lil killers are some pretty sweet pups, too!

jmascis
September 22nd, 2011, 01:39 AM
I have one Sunburst Sx tele (Vintage series) as well, with the old sx tele headstock( tele alike). Nice sound and playability..really worth the money..

bender66
September 22nd, 2011, 01:56 AM
I've got a few of these myself, all with different shaped necks. Love 'em. One even has the Lil Punchers bridge/neck.

How bout some pics when you get it home?

bfloyd6969
September 22nd, 2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks all. I'll surely get some pics up when I get it. Still waiting to hear back from the seller about finalizing the deal. PM's can be trying at times :/

spayne99
September 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
I have an SX bass that is remarkably nice 'for the money'. It's far from perfect and needs a setup bigtime but the potential is there.

JeffBeck
September 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
I like all the offerings from Rondo Music. Where else can you get an Alder bodied, maple necked, rosewood fretboard tele with a P90 configuration brand new for $109? Granted the tuners and the nut will most likely have to go. But that's an insane value for a top notch modding platform if nothing else.

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/furrianmnp902ts5.jpg

Unbelievable that this guitar is only $109. I better stop thinking about it before I go and order one!

tomringg
September 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
I doubt they are one piece bodies, but they are sweet rigs for the price! I've got several & enjoy modding them. Have at it!

musicalmartin
September 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
I like my Thinline alot .I parted it all out in the end and wish I had kept it really .The neck was chunky and had big thick jumbos .Great spec for a cheapy .If you can stretch to a Douglas from Rondo these are even better quality.I had an SX strat( SST) and that was was very good but too heavy .Apart from a pot failing it was a very good guitar and even its pickups were decent and very vintage sounding .In fact a classic strat tone .I was surprised

TeleMan59
September 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
The bodies are 3 piece, solid alder. There is an ash model tele as well that I would love to try.

RBBB
September 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
I have a double bound SX from Rondo:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/bluemood/furrian1.jpg

Leveled/re-crowned the frets.
Shimmed the neck appropriately.
Filed the nut slots appropriately.

In summing it up, all details that go into a real set up.

It is a really great guitar.

A word about nuts and tuning machines on the SX models.
I've had three, all different type guitars.

After properly attending to nut slots all have been fine and the tuning machines fine.

Too many times a lot of people don't really know what's going on and attribute tuning problems to tuning machines when in reality what is happening is binding at the nut.
That's a generalization and there are exceptions. However, my experience is that the generalization is most often accurate.

A set of nut slot files goes hand in hand with really knowing how to work a guitar.
In a pinch a set of feeler gauges and some papers for wraps can get it done.

All the SX guitars go to the operating table before being considered, "ready,":

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/bluemood/working.jpg

yark14
September 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
The bodies are 3 piece, solid alder. There is an ash model tele as well that I would love to try.

I have the ash one. Great guitar. It is basically finished with in an oil finish, rather than a think poly. The neck isn't glossy and orange like their other teles. The pickups sound pretty good, I may one day swap them but am in no hurry.

I found the tuners and nut to be pretty good on mine. Tuning stability is good.

JeffBeck
September 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I had an ash SX for a little while, too. Pretty nice guitar. Even had the forearm and belly cuts on it. Mine had been modded pretty heavily before I bought it. I should have kept it. Had a GFS Lil Puncher and was wired for coil tapping.

Also had a Douglas Gravity Thinline tele for a little while (sold it to fund strat gas) with 2 P90's. Another one that I should have kept. Had a nice fast neck and the frets were well dressed out of the box (and it was a "B" stock)!

I've always heard that the Rondo offerings are fairly hit and miss, but I've not had a miss yet.

TeleMan59
September 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
@RBBB I remember that double-bound model only being available for a short while. I am waiting for the double-bound black to come back in stock. Kurt thought he would have them back this fall. I have the HH Douglas Gravity thinline and the only thing I needed to replace was the nut. Tuners are stiff but hold very well. Frets and maple neck are very nice.

RBBB
September 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
@RBBB I remember that double-bound model only being available for a short while. I am waiting for the double-bound black to come back in stock.

The double bound jobs were not on the web site when I went to get a tele type guitar.
I'd ordered a regular Furrian. 110 bucks.

What was sent was the double bound guitar.

It sounded great and was fundamentally a solid guitar so had to keep it.
After working it is great in every way.
A real keeper.

The double bound units showed up not too long after on the site.

I am using the guitar in some recording and it is performing in all ways in a stellar fashion.

rolling56
September 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
The lefty SX STL-50? (i think it is) i got had the plastic nut break and the frets were all over the place ie high and low and sprouts. I should have sent it back but it's going to be my test subject for some fret work and nut making. I cannot recommend a SX at all......

bfloyd6969
September 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
I doubt they are one piece bodies, but they are sweet rigs for the price! I've got several & enjoy modding them. Have at it!

From what I understand, the Vintage Series had the one piece bodies (?). I see all the SX offerings currently on the Rondo site all have multi piece bodies. Of course this is just from reading specs on line of the Vintage Series and I do not have first hand proof yet - however, the seller confirmed my buying request and everything is in process. Here's some pics from the seller:

JeffBeck
September 22nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Looks good! There's just nothing like a new tele.

teletwang67
September 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Looks good! There's just nothing like a new tele.
Except an old tele:mrgreen:

bfloyd6969
September 23rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the replies and opinions everyone! Do you all think I might be better off getting a used Squier CV Tele? I have come to find out that I was mistaken on this guitar being a one piece body. I thought the Vintage Series guitars were different from the Furrian Teles and at the price I would be paying for this used SX, $110, I could get a new Furrian. True, the pickups would be stock, but are the GFS Blades really worth it? Perhaps I would be better off finding a used, or saving up for a new CV Tele?... Thanks.

Jim Dep
September 23rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
After properly attending to nut slots all have been fine and the tuning machines fine.
Too many times a lot of people don't really know what's going on and attribute tuning problems to tuning machines when in reality what is happening is binding at the nut.

+1 This is very true. I think it might have been you, RBBB that told me this when I first got my Douglas tele from Rondo a few months ago. I was concerned about my tuners slipping a little when first looking over the guitar and changing strings. That was the only weak link I could find when I gave a quick review on the guitar. After getting the tip about running a jeweler sized file through the slots on the nut, the tuners have been great and I see no reason to replace them. The strings were binding a little and this solved the problem.

Jim Dep
September 23rd, 2011, 12:36 AM
I don't have an SX tele, but I do have an SX P 57 vintage bass. Comparing the SX P bass to the Classic vibe Squier P basses, I would take the SX. I've seen some CV's that are better than others, and I've heard that SX basses can be hit and miss as well, but from the many music stores I visit, I haven't played one that I'd take over my SX bass. The hot pickups and chunky vintage feel of the neck are the two best attributes and it is well grounded as there is no hum or unwanted noise I can detect no matter what the volume or tone setting is.

The tele I got from Rondo is the Douglas Gravity thin line model with the single coil pups.
I love this guitar! $188 total shipped to my door from Rondo Music. Easily comparable to Fender MIM's at 3x the price! Deciding between the SX tele and the Squier Classic Vibe, I'd go for the SX, tele, especially with the no BS satisfaction guarantee that Rondo has.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9760/marshalltele.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/marshalltele.jpg/)

bfloyd6969
September 23rd, 2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the words, Jim Dep!

EZrider
September 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Just remember when looking at Rondos guitars "I own two". SX,Dougles and Agile are three diffrent lines.

TeleMan59
September 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
My Douglas tele style looks like Jim's above only with humbuckers. 2 piece body. I wouldn't be concerned about the SX not having a 1 piece body. I don't believe too many Fenders have a 1 piece body. Not a big deal sound wise.

bfloyd6969
September 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info TeleMan59 and EZrider. I should have my SX in about a week. The guitar is shipping from Florida next Monday. I was looking at the Douglas' and Agiles on the Rondo site as well. These are all made from the same factory, right? Perhaps just different buiild quality and parts levels? I like the looks of the Agile. If the SX comes through as a winner I look more into the Agile and Douglas...

lckyjcky
September 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Rondo SX guitars are Made-in-China. Agiles are Made-in-Korea. I have Agiles, they're amazing guitars. SX are cheap guitars, some are, reportedly, nice.

lckyjcky
September 23rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have a double bound SX from Rondo:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/bluemood/furrian1.jpg

Leveled/re-crowned the frets.
Shimmed the neck appropriately.
Filed the nut slots appropriately.

In summing it up, all details that go into a real set up.

It is a really great guitar.

That's a generalization and there are exceptions. However, my experience is that the generalization is most often accurate.

A set of nut slot files goes hand in hand with really knowing how to work a guitar.
In a pinch a set of feeler gauges and some papers for wraps can get it done.

All the SX guitars go to the operating table before being considered, "ready,":

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/bluemood/working.jpg

That's a sick looking guit...patient!

RBBB
September 23rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
SX is produced by Team International Co. Ltd.
Started in Taiwan with manufacturing in mainland China.

Douglas is produced by Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. (Shine guitars).
Based in Korea with some manufacturing in mainland China.

Some pics of Team's mainland Chinese operation:

American swamp ash drying room:

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/American%20Swamp%20Ash-d.jpg

Other pics:

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/drying%20room-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/inspection%20and%20testing%20room-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/repair-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/buffing%20room%20%28independent%29-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/packaging%20room-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/taking%20records-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/show%20room-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/complaint%20meeting-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/delivery%20meeting-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/warehouse%201-d.jpg

http://www.teamintlco.com/Aboutus/images/warehouse-d.jpg

leftyNC
September 23rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
I love mine, its a lefty 3/4 "furrian" whatever that means. The neck on this one is slightly slimmer than a full size tele. 1 5/8" vs. 1 3/4" It took some getting used to, but the shorter 24" scale means you can stretch to the moon and it stays in tune. you can also do monster arpeggio sweeps and gilbert style licks with stubs for fingers. (like me) The single coil PUPS are
LOUD!! I played it back to back with my GFS neovin power rock equipped strat
same amp settings and it was louder than my strat...incredible value for the money, wish they offered a P90 version in a lefty, I'd grab one. For $109 shipped you can't beat it, it just plain works.

RBBB
September 23rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
Jim, the Douglas Gravity would be on my short list if I had one.

What an incredible value and a beautiful guitar.

I'd likely put barrel saddles and a B5 type bigsby/bigsboid on it.

Just too many candidates for the operating table to turn them into fine players meeting my very picky standards/specs for a relative pittance over at Rondo.

And yes, I did share some information about getting nut slots right. Provided this link as well on getting action right at the nut (often overlooked); here it is for the benefit of the thread:

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

TeleMan59
September 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
@RBBB Which SX Model did you order?

Dejected_Ridge
September 23rd, 2011, 11:39 PM
I have one of the older SX Tele's and it's my main guitar. Mine came stock with a P90 in the neck. I swapped the easy stuff, electronics, saddles (3 brass now), nut and tuners. I also put in a Seymour Duncan Stack P90 in the neck and a GFS lil' puncher in the bridge and I love the thing. The last 5 gigs I've done with just the SX and nobody seems to mind it's a cheapo. I have a Douglas Spad with upgraded pickups and it's a player. I also have an Agile AL-4000 Duncan and it's a beauty too. Nothing I have, though, feels as balanced sonically or as comfortable as this upgraded cheapo. I pull out my MiM strats, MiM Tele, Gibson SG and Jackson Dinky rarely now.

-DJ

chrisbetty
September 23rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
I have a sx antique burst with some mods like a new bridge and pots and pickgaurd,It's a great guitar just replace the electronics

electric
September 24th, 2011, 12:15 AM
SX teles a pretty decent. I'd go for the used already upgraded one over the new one.

RBBB
September 24th, 2011, 12:17 AM
@RBBB Which SX Model did you order?

TeleMan59, I ordered a maple board butterscotch Furrian.

bfloyd6969
September 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I swapped the easy stuff, electronics, saddles (3 brass now), nut and tuners.-DJ

Alot of great information in this thread - thanks for all the comments, advice, and links to everyone!! Great pics of the factory, RBBB.

One of the first things I wanted to replace on this is the saddles (seeing how the pickups are already done... for now) and wanted to go with the 3 brass saddles. Which ones did you go with Dejected? Are there some that won't fit, anything I need to consider when ordering some for a fit? Thanks.

RBBB
September 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM
seeing how the pickups are already done... for now

The GFS Lil Killer pickups are buckers, not singles.

If they should turn out to be too un-tele (in the classical sense), they do have 4 conductor wiring for splitting/switching into singles. Which may or may not suffice if one is interested in a more nuts and bolts classic single coil tele thing.

Only your ears can tell you if you like the pickups.

Duncas
September 24th, 2011, 10:09 AM
i had a SX "CUSTOM HANDMADE VINTAGE" '69 thinline. now i look back with some TLC she would have come out quite nice. the neck was very very fat. very deep. comfortable with big hands and for chords but barre chords destroyed your hands. pickups were terrible.

had a beautiful smell to it though

RBBB
September 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
i had a SX "CUSTOM HANDMADE VINTAGE" '69 thinline. now i look back with some TLC she would have come out quite nice. the neck was very very fat. very deep. comfortable with big hands and for chords but barre chords destroyed your hands.

I'll share a trick.

I got a Fender strat, which at the time the neck shape did not get along well with my fretting hand. Too much chunk at that time.

I got a sanding disc with various grades of paper for an electric drill.
Carefully, patiently, systematically took off what I needed taken off.
Step by step, stopping to check as I went.
Various grades of paper for hand sand for final smooth finished by 0000 steel wool.

Applied some Formby's low gloss tung oil finish.
Let dry.
Buffed with 0000 steel wool followed by old t-shirt buff.
Repeated until satisfied it was where it should be.

Achieved optimal neck shape for my fretting hand at that time.

The neck is a tad more sensitive to temperature changes with a slight truss rod tweak now and again through the year.

Did this eleven, twelve years ago.
It is the only guitar from that time period that is still with me.

bfloyd6969
September 30th, 2011, 11:42 PM
The SX Tele arrived today and I am quite pleased with it. This is my first "traditional" styled Tele and I really like it. As stated, the pickups have been upgraded to the GFS Vintage Lil' Punchers. The bridge pickup has some nice bite when driven hard and still cleans up nice when clean. The neck pickup alone is a bit weak on its own, but my favorite position is the middle when both of them are on. It doesn't sound split so I am assuming it is just wired as two parallel humbuckers. I am curious what this might sound like with two hot single coils rather the humbuckers. I might keep the bridge pickup and just change the neck pickup...

I really, really love this neck!! All my other guitars have medium C to thin U shape profiles and of course this one has quite the beefy C and I didn't know what I was missing. I have larger sized hands and the smaller necks, especially the thin U (Ibanez RG) will sometimes cramp my fretting hand during extended playing periods - but not the SX's thick C. It almost reminds me of some Gibsons I have played in the past. Yes, there are some dead spots on the neck, some fret out at areas, but mostly not too bad. It does need a fret level to solve this problem I believe?

Now, a few questions to those that know:

1. Does anyone know what other necks out there that are similar to this SX neck profile? I would like to upgrade to a finer instrument in the near future, and may even build my own partscaster and would like to have some idea what is like this one. Anything in the Fender line up with such a beefy C profile? Aftermarket neck?

2. From the downsides I described about the fret out and dead spots, is this what a fret level, crown, and polish would take care of? If so, what is an approx. price to have this done by a professional?

3. To those that know the GFS Vintage Lil' Punchers, did you all find the neck pickup to be that much weaker than the bridge pickup? I'm just wondering if this is normal or if perhaps something is wired wrong.

Thanks for the help everyone!

RBBB
October 1st, 2011, 12:08 AM
Glad you like your tele, and especially the neck.

2. From the downsides I described about the fret out and dead spots, is this what a fret level, crown, and polish would take care of? If so, what is an approx. price to have this done by a professional?

Thanks for the help everyone!

A fret level and re-crowning, as well as getting the nut slots right for the gauges of strings you use:

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

in combination with proper neck shimming (if needed) and bridge saddle adjustments will work wonders in obtaining optimum playability.

That's what a real set up is.

So make sure ALL of those things are included in any negotiation with someone to work on your guitar. Chances are you may well have a tough time finding a tech who really is a tech.

So many who masquerade as techs consider a set up as tweaking a truss rod, adjusting saddles and bridge and that's about it.

So many, "techs," aren't.

Which is why I learned to do these things myself.

If you bite the bullet and learn to do these things yourself you will never be sorry.
The guitar world will be much more your oyster and your guitars will be superb players, set up for you by you.

bender66
October 1st, 2011, 12:14 AM
Best tutorial I found came from right here. It's how I learned & very DIY, down to acquiring good, accurate levels.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/201556-fret-leveling-yer-tele-101-a.html

Dejected_Ridge
October 1st, 2011, 12:18 AM
One of the first things I wanted to replace on this is the saddles (seeing how the pickups are already done... for now) and wanted to go with the 3 brass saddles. Which ones did you go with Dejected? Are there some that won't fit, anything I need to consider when ordering some for a fit? Thanks.

I went with wilkinson compensated brass saddles and they fit pretty nicely. I drilled three holes in the bridge plate between the pairs of saddle holes and mounted them there. I could have probably spaced them a teeny bit better but the strings don't hit the grub screws and intonation is spot on.

I only used the lil puncher for the bridge pickup so I'm not sure how it mates to the lil puncher neck pickup. It matches nicely with the Duncan Stack P90 volume wise though. :) Here's a few pics of it:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3916/imag0080i.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3299/imag0078e.jpg

-DJ

bfloyd6969
October 1st, 2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the info, links, and pics everyone. Great looking Tele DR - love that Daphne Blue look.

I would love to learn to do all my own complete setups but for now I all can really do on my own is neck relief, action, and intonation. I've even done my own nut action with a set of welding tip cleaners (I know, not the correct way by any means but didn't have the money at the time for a set of proper nut files). I have never attempted a fret level job and this being my only current Tele I hate to mess it up - which is why I wanted to find a qualified tech to do so for me. I agree that the knowledge of learning this myself will go much further for future guitars. Perhaps if I had another Tele I wouldn't mind as much, and my other guitars are all fine in this regards. Perhaps my next Rondo purchase :) I will attempt this. For now though, I will search for a qualified and well experienced tech. Thanks!

Plumtree
July 4th, 2013, 12:08 PM
just got my sx 3/4 size from rondo.

I dig it.