$vboptions[bbtitle]

Peavey T-60

Durtdog
August 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Found a Peavey T-60 in a music store yesterday. Maple neck, natural finish, played great. Pickups had been replaced (looked like Carvin pickups with LOTS of pole pieces). I didn't have a chance to plug it in, so I can't comment on the sound.

I know some people here really love these, and I can see why. It may sound strange, but it just seemed to fit me...feel and looks.

Price tag said $400, but I don't think I'd pay that. Anyone have an opinion on the guitar or the price?

flag72
August 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
hey Durtdog
this is my dream guitar to peavey T-60 Im looking for a sunburst model,can you tell how the weight felt was it heavy and how did you like the neck.my search for an old vintage guitar came down to this brand as they are affordable...lol
cant wait for some response

Durtdog
August 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Well, this one had some weight to it, not a lightweight.
I liked the neck, it reminded me a bit of a G&L, but a little thicker.

getbent
August 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
325.00 I got mine for 225.00 but 325 would be fair.. hell no to 400 unless gas has got you

LOSTVENTURE
August 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I've had my natural since it was introduced. Don't ask me what year that was. It has a tiny neck, and the guitar weighs more than my car. I always liked the unique way that the pick-ups went from single coil to humbucker as you changed the tone controls.
It may hold the record for pick-guard screws, I think I counted 27.
Recently, while discussing a trade with Guitar Center, the manager told me to leave the Peavy at home. He said he wouldn't give me anything for it. I don't think that it's got a great deal of value, but personally I feel that it's a long way from worthless.
$400 seems high, particularly since those pick-ups aren't standard. If they are actually Carvin's M22s, then they can be split. Offer $200 for starters. And, get yourself a nice wide strap if you'll be playing standing up.
Good Luck,
Don

Scantron08
August 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Depending on condition, the price is too high by about a hundred bucks (maybe more). Top dollar, great condition, they go for $350 on the high end. These things are great and easily obtainable for the collector since the prices haven't risen insanely like other vintage guitars.

However, at least at top-dollar price, not having the original blade pickups would be a deal breaker for me on a T-60 (maybe not on a T-15, though), especially because of that that proprietary tone control that takes them from being single coil to humbucker with a half-turn.

fezz parka
August 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
What Randy said. I think there's one on the Omaha CL for 225...

clayfeat
August 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
An all original and clean one here in my town for $325 on CL (http://bloomington.craigslist.org/msg/2521381695.html).

BritishBluesBoy
August 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
325.00 I got mine for 225.00 but 325 would be fair.. hell no to 400 unless gas has got you

Yup. Agreed...

I forget exactly what I paid for mine but I think it was $300 or so. It's exactly the same as my first decent electric guitar!

:mrgreen:

Me in 1983:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/march68/Assorted%20Stuff/n729887677_1416427_649.jpg
(Sadly all those amps were borrowed)

My new (old) T-60:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/march68/Guitars/_K3U0163-1.jpg

Nostalgia is a dangerous thing. 'Course, I have a bunch of nice guitars and consequently I hardly ever play the darned thing... :oops:

fezz parka
August 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'm really into the T-Series. My fave setup is the T-15, it's so Tele-like except for the scale. So I fixed it:
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/sunnyland_photos/IMG_1396.jpg?t=1312478132
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/sunnyland_photos/IMG_1395.jpg?t=1312478056

mudshark
August 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Depending on condition, the price is too high by about a hundred bucks (maybe more). Top dollar, great condition, they go for $350 on the high end. These things are great and easily obtainable for the collector since the prices haven't risen insanely like other vintage guitars.

However, at least at top-dollar price, not having the original blade pickups would be a deal breaker for me on a T-60 (maybe not on a T-15, though), especially because of that that proprietary tone control that takes them from being single coil to humbucker with a half-turn.

+1

fezz parka
August 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM
There's one in Fairfield IA for 60 bucks!
peavey t-60 - $60 (fairfield)
Date: 2011-08-04, 10:08AM CDT
Reply to: sale-he7af-2529500064@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Peavey T-60. Well used, beat up, but still great guitar. something is wrong with wiring thats stopping the bridge pickup from making noise but should be an easy fix. comes with the original case.

nadzab
August 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Well, this one had some weight to it, not a lightweight.
I liked the neck, it reminded me a bit of a G&L, but a little thicker.

The ash-bodied ones (I believe they used alder for the solid colors) are invariably heavy. I've always found the necks to be super-thin, though.

rangercaster
August 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM
$270 w/case out here in Portland ...http://images.craigslist.org/3n43kd3oa5V55R65S1b83443bffd24743117b.jpg

MrCairo46
August 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I got one in 93, sold it in 99 and just got another I pieced together from Two T60s. They are dang heavy and LOUD. Still messing with the neck to get the action just right.

ROADMAN
August 4th, 2011, 09:37 PM
they go for 3 - 5 hun in this neck of the woods ...so picking one up on C/L for $150 last week gave me the loco motion..it does have one terrible problem however...it's missing a string ferrule :cry:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPgNBw3sevv8piVJ8M87a5Q78CRKk-JEl11kNJ9iF7sl_DNzv9HA

62 Jazzmaster
August 4th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I've got a natural finish T-60 body in the back room somewhere that I picked up in the early '80s.
I should dig it out and see if I can find the parts to complete it.

Ed P
August 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Man, I was gonna sell mine, maybe I should keep it.

Warm Gums
August 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I had one that had Dimarzios in it that I got for $150, I played it for a while & decided to sell it for $175-200 (it was heavy & the thin neck really wasn't my thing.
I learned the following..
1. The lack of the PV pu's makes a HUGE dent in value
round here they go for @ $350 in super clean condition W/case. Changed PU/W no case well $150 was probably fair.

2. People REALLY want that case..allmost every reply was "do you have the case"
several people offerd to buy just the case if I had it.

Best offer I had was $100 (I think he just wanted the '70s Dimarzios.
I ended up parting mine (it also had a changed tuner & non original knobs.

$400? unless it is the screaming guitar of you dreams, I would want to have a 9/10 guitar with case & every piece of candy that it originaly came with.

nadzab
August 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I paid $130 for my '79, but that was 7 or 8 years ago. Came with the case, but the lining was gone.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/nadzab/Guitars/T-60Reduced.jpg

ITSGOTQUACK
August 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
My mint 1981 White one. Also have the matching T-40 Bass.
AsKtoGn6qbk

Wyzsard
August 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
There is a T-60 on the Louisville cl for 200 bucks if anyone is interested. Not mine, but would be if I had the cash :cry:

flag72
August 6th, 2011, 09:20 AM
well after ITSGOTQUACK's demo im for sure getting one they just sound very good ...lol

Cam
August 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Buy it!

SamClemons
August 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
To me, $400.00 is high, but nothing for a guitar I want, would like, and would play.

elihu
August 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM
The ash-bodied ones (I believe they used alder for the solid colors) are invariably heavy. I've always found the necks to be super-thin, though.

That's my opinion as well.

ROADMAN
August 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
...thanks for the vid IGQ...good stuff and a great looking T-60...I've got a white one on my search and rescue program...

here's mine...
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q209/roadman_photos/august11121.jpg

Hack On Wheels
August 7th, 2011, 03:26 AM
they go for 3 - 5 hun in this neck of the woods ...so picking one up on C/L for $150 last week gave me the loco motion..it does have one terrible problem however...it's missing a string ferrule :cry:

...thanks for the vid IGQ...good stuff and a great looking T-60...I've got a white one on my search and rescue program...

here's mine...

And it's a beauty! I don't know how I missed that one... I'd better pay closer attention to the CL listings. :shock:

Durtdog
August 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Well, I passed on this one. Along with the pickup change came some custom wiring, which I could not understand. And they wouldn't deal on price. It did play really nice, though.

Are these things made of oak with embedded lead bars or what? I usually tease people who complain about guitar weight, but the weight of this thing was noticeable. Maybe the heaviest guitar I've ever played.

fezz parka
August 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
That's another reason I like the T-15. Smaller body, lighter weight. Think SG light.

Ed P
August 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I must be really lucky. I've got a natural finish T-60 that's not that heavy, like a medium weight Les Paul. A few years ago I had one that weighed a ton, and the one I have is way lighter. Before I took delivery of the guitar I even bought a special strap for heavy weight guitars, and now I'm just using a regular guitar strap.

TelecasterSam
August 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Itsgotquack, that's interesting. My white one is an '81 and I used to have the T-40 bass, but it was black. At one time I thought about collecting T-60s in every color...would be a cool collection, especially when they were about $150 each.
I think it's a good guitar, but $400 is too high. In very good condition, I would think $275- $300 is about right. Yes, the T-60 case is awesome protection.

flag72
August 9th, 2011, 10:58 PM
you guys should check E-Bay the price of T-60 is going up.Ive been out bid a lot on T-60 over 300$ there going for.but it looks like its a great guitar.;0)

tazzboy
August 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Try to negotiate the price down and tell that you seem them go a eBay for a little less then $400. He will either drop the price down to what he will take or tell you to go buy from eBay then.

ITSGOTQUACK
August 10th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I would gladly pay $600.00 for a great T-60 that would sound amazing, that I would use etc. than spend the same money on something else that is supposed to be more prestigious in someone else's eyes. I'd pay double what I paid for my T-60. It's really that great of a guitar and you pay for quality and it has it in spades. I think that these are the sleeping giants of the future. You just can't find this quality at these prices with any other guitars, especially anything new. Such a bargain.

winny pooh
August 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Well, I passed on this one. Along with the pickup change came some custom wiring, which I could not understand. And they wouldn't deal on price. It did play really nice, though.

Are these things made of oak with embedded lead bars or what? I usually tease people who complain about guitar weight, but the weight of this thing was noticeable. Maybe the heaviest guitar I've ever played.

They are really heavy, one of my students from ages ago has the bass version, yeow-sah!

fezz parka
August 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I would gladly pay $600.00 for a great T-60 that would sound amazing, that I would use etc. than spend the same money on something else that is supposed to be more prestigious in someone else's eyes. I'd pay double what I paid for my T-60. It's really that great of a guitar and you pay for quality and it has it in spades. I think that these are the sleeping giants of the future. You just can't find this quality at these prices with any other guitars, especially anything new. Such a bargain.

That goes for just about any of the T Series. Fantastic US made guitars at MIC prices.

Ed P
August 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
That goes for just about any of the T Series. Fantastic US made guitars at MIC prices.

Well said Fezz - I couldn't agree more. Yesterday I was getting that classic "maw" sound out of the bridge humbucker. Who needs a Les Paul?

Travst
August 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I bought an ash natural T-60 in '81. I don't remember it as being anything special tone-wise, but it was extremely heavy. Lately, I've been looking for one to try out. I want to see if my opinion has changed over the years. They were well-made and virtually indestructible. As I recall, I bought a new TNT amp with it in Oxford, MS.

onenotetom
August 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM
For those of you interested go to www.t60mafia.com Here is a quick run down:

The T stands for Chip Todd the engineer that developed the T series. Objective was a quality USA made guitar at an affordable price. Used computer lathes designed for making gunstocks to make the neck and CNC machines for the bodies. Cast bridges, knobs, and nut. Manufactured under a number of unique patents.

The early versions are refered to as slabs with toasters. Slab bodies and round toaster looking pick ups. These are the ones that heavy. The later ones are contours with blades. The painted ones are poplar and much lighter. The pick-ups are very good but hot and I have found them to be amp sensitive. The wiring is unique in that the tone control also splits the humbuckers. In other words the guitar is amazing with the right amp however it is awful with others.

As others have said, the quality is very good. These are approximately 30 year old guitars so original condition with original components plus the case that they came with new is important to the value. The guitars are very unique, made in the USA and I think are a great addition to anyones collection.

Hope this helps. Tom

JackStraw
August 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
For those of you interested go to www.t60mafia.com Here is a quick run down:

The T stands for Chip Todd the engineer that developed the T series. Objective was a quality USA made guitar at an affordable price. Used computer lathes designed for making gunstocks to make the neck and CNC machines for the bodies. Cast bridges, knobs, and nut. Manufactured under a number of unique patents.

The early versions are refered to as slabs with toasters. Slab bodies and round toaster looking pick ups. These are the ones that heavy. The later ones are contours with blades. The painted ones are poplar and much lighter. The pick-ups are very good but hot and I have found them to be amp sensitive. The wiring is unique in that the tone control also splits the humbuckers. In other words the guitar is amazing with the right amp however it is awful with others.

As others have said, the quality is very good. These are approximately 30 year old guitars so original condition with original components plus the case that they came with new is important to the value. The guitars are very unique, made in the USA and I think are a great addition to anyones collection.

Hope this helps. Tom

Hey Tom. Do you still have the white T-60 with the pink paisley pickguard you bought from me on the old T-60 forum?

onenotetom
August 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Sure do, it is the one I play the most. Spent a couple of hours with it Friday night.

flag72
August 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Sure do, it is the one I play the most. Spent a couple of hours with it Friday night.
could you post a picture plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:grin:

onenotetom
August 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Flag72, Mine looks just like the one that Scott is playing in his video earlier in the thread only with a maple fretboard. I do not have any pictures of it with the pink paisley pickguard.

I picked up another body that I am going to refinish in Blue Sparkle with a white pickguard. Unfortunately it is a ways down on the project list.

flag72
August 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM
O.K.:cool: