$vboptions[bbtitle]

Johnny Z and the Camaros

McGlamRock
July 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Saturday was my friend's birthday and we went to Union Square (which I generally try to avoid like the plague- especially in summertime!) to eat at a restaurant she really likes. Anyway after dinner we walked over to this old dive bar and saw a really AWESOME cover band called Johnny Z and the Camaros. A 3 piece band doing covers from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and even a little early 80's rock n' roll and boy could these guys play!
The best part: these guys were a "by request only" band. Slip em a 5 (or 20 if you really want to hear your request!) and these guys would play just about any hit and pull it off! They had the place packed and hopping till closing!
The peculiar thing was their instrumentation drums, guitar, and keyboard with all of them singing. Guitarist was also playing a very nice silver sparkly tele through what looked like and old Vox with a Keeley 2 knob compressor, and danelectro Daddy-O overdrive.
I have my doubts about any band with no bass player, but this band was one of the best bar bands I have ever seen. Doobies, Creedence, Buck Owens, Beatles, Dire Straits, Elvis Presley, etc... they did it all and even kept a snarky guitar player (such as myself) engaged all night.
So if if you live in SF or come for a visit check out the Gold Dust Lounge on Powell Street next to Union Square and see these guys! They play 7 nights a week.

dlb1001
July 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I wonder if they play in San Jose since I'm not crazy about trying to find a place to pack in SF.

LawDaddy
July 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I've played at Biscuit and Blues a few times, and wandered over to see the legendary Johnny Z. Very cool act. I was impressed by the telephone book-thickness of their songbook, and the patina it's acquired through the years!

McGlamRock
July 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I've played at Biscuit and Blues a few times, and wandered over to see the legendary Johnny Z. Very cool act. I was impressed by the telephone book-thickness of their songbook, and the patina it's acquired through the years!

I was sitting at the bar and thought the same thing. When i looked a little closer at it it appears to only have lyrics to most of the tunes- no tabs/chords/charts. PM me if you play at the Biscuit again- I'd go check it out

kman900
July 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
We were in this bar near Union Square twice in may. The lineup was Guitar, Bass and Drums. The second night the bass player had changed. The guitarplayer played somewhat like a 52 RI. Great band and their songbook . . i guess 12 inches in thickness aint enough . . !!

McGlamRock
July 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM
We were in this bar near Union Square twice in may. The lineup was Guitar, Bass and Drums. The second night the bass player had changed. The guitarplayer played somewhat like a 52 RI. Great band and their songbook . . i guess 12 inches in thickness aint enough . . !!

Hmmm. I wonder if you were at the Gold Dust Lounge as well. Was the band playing behind a bar that the audience could sit at? Hope you enjoyed your trip!

kman900
July 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hmmm. I wonder if you were at the Gold Dust Lounge as well. Was the band playing behind a bar that the audience could sit at? Hope you enjoyed your trip!

Yup the band was behind a small bar, drummer on the left, bass right and Johnny Z in the middle, back against the wall. We sat at one of the small tables on the other side of that room.
I had a short talk with johnny, asked if he'd happen to be a tdpri member . . but he seemed not to be interested in this kind of community and Teles were just "tools" for him . .

Anyway we liked their music. Nothing spectacular but always fun to listen to.

Our trip was great! Here are some pics and comments:
Link to our homepage! (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2F59elcamino.wordpress.com%2Fcategory %2Fusa-2011%2F)
IT's only google-translated, so please don't blame me for that . . :wink:

Edit: Yes, it was at the Gold Dust Lounge. Here's a pic that i found on the web . .

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Aglv8cx9wyw/TWBDP-oReOI/AAAAAAAABAc/eOYsU1W8P5c/P1010663.JPG