CTS 250K Pots ... to Identify.

January 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM
I'm assembling my first project Tele (an AM Standard 1995) and am confused about the volume and tone pots.
A local music store sold me 2 Fender 'no load' pots with a split shaft and 'cts' punched in the casting.
My info has it that the volume pot must be an 'audio taper' and the tone pot can be just a regular 250K cts pot.
These 2 pots are identical and both come with caps...hence...these 2 baby's are the same. Please enlighten me. Thanks!
Secondly, I need a bridge. Callaham was my first choice but they won't have a 3-hole Am Standard bridge for a few weeks. Can anybody recommend another high end bridge with resonance out the wazoo???

January 31st, 2005, 04:23 PM
hopefully they'd both be audio taper, since it works for volume or tone.

January 31st, 2005, 05:39 PM
You don't want a "no-load" for the volume, but a no-load is fine for the tone. The no-load totally removes the pot from the circuit, which means it behaves as if the tone control weren't there (a la the Esquire rear position, AFA the tone control goes).

For the volume, you want a 250K audio taper pot, and you can use those for the tone, too, but they aren't the "no load" variety.