$vboptions[bbtitle]

Does EHX ever make anything that's 100% great ?

Mike Eskimo
June 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Well - ok, let me qualify.

I did have a Big Muff w/ Tone wicker that did what it was supposed to do but wasn't the fuzz sound I was looking for.

But come on - the noise level of some of their pedals is just re-donkulous.

I got a Cathedral - a reverb a lot of folks would love to have - which is a 2 yr old brand-new product/brand-new technology.

I was stunned at how noisy it was.

Got rid of it and grabbed a Line 6 Verbzilla which was better. A Line 6 product !

Recently got a Wiggler trem/vibrato pedal which introduces an unbelievable amount of gain into your signal. I'm going to do some tube substitutions before I let this one go just because it has some cool sounds and it was $80 but come on...

It's always something w/ those guys.

Do they make anything (besides the fuzzes) that just does what it's supposed to w/out any *asterisks* ?

middy
June 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM
My pedalboard currently has a double muff, a memory toy, a holy stain, and an LPB-1. I haven't noticed any undue noise from any of them.

cheapgtrs
June 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
I have a few ehx pedals and have never had a problem.

vjf1968
June 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM
This is usually why I steer clear of EHX products. Had a old Big Muff Pi and that thing was noisy as heck. Had a Holy Grail reverb which was also noisy. What gets me is the size of some of their pedals seems to be a little on the excessive side. Especially when you replace a battery and see that there is not that much going on component wise to warrant such a large enclosure.

Also, I am not a fan of any pedal that uses a tube.

rubcub
June 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM
As far as I know EHX doesn't make Tele's, so Nope they don't make anything that's 100% great.

EDIT:
Serious now:
My EHX pedals are quite noisy but not in an annoying way, it kind of gives a vinyl-vibe/vintage 60's like vibe.

Tele60x
June 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM
I love EHX pedals. I have owned several and they have typical noise that most pedals have.

artdecade
June 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM
It's all part of their charm and why we love 'em! :lol:

jazztele
June 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
I'm not a pedal guy, but I recent;ly bought a memory boy as I wanted to get a little more "modern" with my clean electric jazz sound.

I'm very impressed. Seems to introduce no noise to my signal.

JeradP
June 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM
I had the Knockout, which sounded good but was noisy. Perhaps a dud? Either way, it went back. LPB1 quit working when I tried to take the knob off in order to put a different one on that's easier to "foot adjust". However, the Hum Debugger works pretty well. I wish it could get rid of amp hum, but that's irrelevant. It decreases pedal noise very well and I like it.

Cameage
June 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM
Let's see...I've had no problems at all with the Small Stone or Small Clone in the old enclosures. I've had battery vs. adapter problems with a Big Muff in the old enclosure, but I took out the battery and now it works great. I've had no problems with the Little Big Muff. I had a clock noise and a feedback problem with the Deluxe Memory Boy, but those were both fixed by giving it its own power supply instead of using my Power Pad. I've had no problems with the Metal Muff. The only pedal I'm not completely satisfied with is the #1 Echo, because it makes everything quiet. It sounds good, though, and it's not really a big deal since I don't use it on my board (the DMB replaced it), it stays in my bedroom (along with the regular Big Muff), so a quieter signal isn't really a problem.

What gets me is the size of some of their pedals seems to be a little on the excessive side.

Well, that's because they like to sell vintage-looking pedals to people. The XO/Nano stuff is much more modern-sized, and durable, too, so you can pick whether you want a cool-looking pedal in a giant, flimsy enclosure, or a compact and durable pedal in a less stylish enclosure.

Chiogtr4x
June 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM
This is usually why I steer clear of EHX products. Had a old Big Muff Pi and that thing was noisy as heck. Had a Holy Grail reverb which was also noisy. What gets me is the size of some of their pedals seems to be a little on the excessive side. Especially when you replace a battery and see that there is not that much going on component wise to warrant such a large enclosure.

I have owned a Big Muff- no issues but just not my sound, and got a Holy Grail about a year or so after they came out- it had noise issues that sounded almost like an electric drill in the background, as well as a switch that had a mind of its own...

Still may try a Double Muff though:wink:!

Mike Eskimo
June 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM

Me neither but when I found out the Wiggler has an internal step-up transformer to actually run the right amount of current through it I said - ok.

Plus it was less than half the cost of a new one.

I'll sub in some other tubes and see where it goes from there.

TeleBrew
June 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM
I had a noisy experience with the early Nano series Big Muff, and I had to get rid of it. But other than that one, I've had nothing but good results with their stuff. My late '70's/early '80's Small Stone is surprisingly quiet, as are my Russian Big Muff, LPB-1, and Nano Clone.

But having said that, E-H makes some quirky, goofy, wacky stuff like nobody else. I can see why the company invokes a love/hate relationship among many people.

There's always a little hum in my rig, but I can't blame it solely on one pedal or another. Sometimes it's my Tele!

k tone
June 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
The Nano Series seems to have the bugs worked out. I have a Nano Small Stone and an LPB-1 on my main board. I have dumped a few though. The SMMH had a volume drop and my Mem Boy had a volume boost when engaged. I agree with you. I think their R&D/ QC should be tighter.

Edit. Did not see above post. I have not had a problem with the Nano's

morroben
June 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM
I had a Big Muff and Small Stone that I liked, and now have a Holy Grail that I liked at first. But now it's noisy. I wonder if the problem is in the wall wart and not the pedal.

RockerDuck
June 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
I've had bad luck with EHX too. Noisy pedals. I haven't tried them all tho'.

JoeNeri
June 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM
My experience: noisy and unreliable.

joelster
June 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
I've got a POG2 on my board. It's kind of amazing. It's quiet and sounds great. Not really a vintage style box... I haven't been able to work it too much into the stuff I'm playing right now, however.

ModalMood
June 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM
This may be off topic but I was just at GC and they had the new(er) DMM Nano on clearance for around $250 (that's about $100 off!). I wonder if EHX is discontinuing it. People seem to like the old big box DMM better. I've never seen a demo of them side by side, but I sure would like to. :wink:

My problem with the Nano (smaller box) pedals is that they screw the bottoms on so tight at the factory. I know it sounds petty but with every EHX pedal I've owned (Little Big Muff, BMPwTW, Memory Boy, etc) I've stripped out the phillips head slots trying to open 'em up. :oops:

bo
June 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM
No they don't. Most people who fetishize their vintage stuff usually weren't around when EH covered what is now the Danelectro end of the market. It was flimsy,signal loading crap then and not much better now. Don't get me started on their tubes...

Chase TM
June 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not a pedal guy, but I recent;ly bought a memory boy as I wanted to get a little more "modern" with my clean electric jazz sound.

I'm very impressed. Seems to introduce no noise to my signal.

For that type of stuff you could try the Carbon copy from mxr. The modulation helps that modern NY jazz sound. Works for me.

Chiogtr4x
June 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
No they don't. Most people who fetishize their vintage stuff usually weren't around when EH covered what is now the Danelectro end of the market. It was flimsy,signal loading crap then and not much better now. Don't get me started on their tubes...

Thread sidebar: though I'm not really a big fan of EHX effects (just not a lot experiences with them), I really have had NO problems with their tubes- no microphonics/rattling in the EL-84's (my Blues Jr) and very long lasting (2-3 years) and use the EHX 12AX7's in my Gain positions in my BJ and old Deluxe Reverb and they have been outstanding .low-noise, dynamic, and cheap! Going on 5-6 years using only EHX tubes here (the DR uses JJ 6V6's) Aren't they basically just sorted out SOVTEKS anyhow? (could be wrong on this)

wildschwein
June 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
... Aren't they basically just sorted out SOVTEKS anyhow? (could be wrong on this)

That's what I've heard too. I've been very happy with my 12AX7EHs thus far. Also love my Double Muff and my Holy Stain - fantastic pedals. I'd buy a whole lot more EHX stuff if I had the cash.

czech-one-2
June 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
The double muff is a sleeper and a keeper!

Chiogtr4x
June 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
That's what I've heard too. I've been very happy with my 12AX7EHs thus far. Also love my Double Muff and my Holy Stain - fantastic pedals. I'd buy a whole lot more EHX stuff if I had the cash.

If I ever get any $$ again, I have decided to get myself an affordable fuzz! I dig the Double Muff for its dynamics and tone, but recently have just heard about the Trachouse '70's fuzz (a very dynamic and affordable silicon "fuzz face" in an "MXR" size box!) I just want something different from the OD's I own and other cheap fuzzes I have tried and did not really like- These 2 seem like either would be a perfect fit for my old fart music where I need an occasional fuzz.

Kinda wish that the Double Muff kept its older "medium" size box instead of the Nano, but I can live with it if I get one:wink:!

Coop47
June 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
I love my Holy Grail into a SF Champ, but I've heard enough horror stories about noise and incompatibility to be hesitant to try any others.

silentechoes
June 1st, 2011, 07:29 PM
I have had several EHX pedals over the years, and I have never had an issue with a single one of them (short of the issues I was the cause of in my early modding days). I have always heard so many horror stories about them and never understood why.

Mike Eskimo
June 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
It actually taints my view of those 65 Amps that Peter Stroud and a buddy of his make.

Stroud is always shilling some new EHX pedal on YouTube.

It's a good thing for him that I can't afford one of those amps because if I could I definitely wouldn't buy one !

keithb7
June 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Had a holy Grail, LPB-1, nano-muff and they did not add extra noise to my signal. The worm was brutal though. I wanted it to work but the noise was too much. I now run a stereo memory man with hazarai and it is very, very good. It's a keeper. Had it now about 4 years and it still is a new adventure when I turn it on.

honeycreek
June 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have the LPB-1 and the Freeze pedal. Both are great pedals and have made me look more at their pedals.

jazztele
June 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
For that type of stuff you could try the Carbon copy from mxr. The modulation helps that modern NY jazz sound. Works for me.

That's why I bought the memory boy actually...it has a chorus or vibrato option on the decay.

I tried a carbon copy but it never sounded "subtle" enough...

smoss469
June 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM
I've got an NYC BMP that is whisper quiet even with a 1 spot powering it, gain dimed and a Strat w/single coils.

DOGMA Dunn
June 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM
IMO they have some great pedals and to realy find out if they are good, one must own more than just a few to see which ones work great with their system. Not all pedals are created equal. Some companies are known for certain great pedals and other companies have the same thing both are great pedals. It's like a doctor mixing medications on a person, they have to get the balance right, as everyone and their guitar rig is different.

cntry666
June 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Big Muff Pi is 100% awesome. I also love the Holy Stain. No noise problems at all other than the screaming feedback when I am melting faces off. I love all their pedals.

vjf1968
June 2nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Let's see...I've had no problems at all with the Small Stone or Small Clone in the old enclosures. I've had battery vs. adapter problems with a Big Muff in the old enclosure, but I took out the battery and now it works great. I've had no problems with the Little Big Muff. I had a clock noise and a feedback problem with the Deluxe Memory Boy, but those were both fixed by giving it its own power supply instead of using my Power Pad. I've had no problems with the Metal Muff. The only pedal I'm not completely satisfied with is the #1 Echo, because it makes everything quiet. It sounds good, though, and it's not really a big deal since I don't use it on my board (the DMB replaced it), it stays in my bedroom (along with the regular Big Muff), so a quieter signal isn't really a problem.

Well, that's because they like to sell vintage-looking pedals to people. The XO/Nano stuff is much more modern-sized, and durable, too, so you can pick whether you want a cool-looking pedal in a giant, flimsy enclosure, or a compact and durable pedal in a less stylish enclosure.

I am aware of the Nano series but I was referring to pedals that were out before they introduced that line. One tended to buy EHX when you couldn't afford Boss or MXR. I did know a guy who worked for Mike Matthews back in the beginning of EHX and he would work on the old peals to quiet them down. He did a great job on my friend's Small Stone and made it so quiet it could be used direct into a recording console. He said that back then and for a while they used parts as they got them so that is why some pedals are better than others. There was always a problem with consistency. But they are still here so they must be doing something right. Maybe when Fran (of Frantone fame) was working for him she managed to up the quality a bit.

True, there are some interesting pedals from them lately such as the POG2, Freeze, Hum Debugger, and the Big Muff with Tone Wicker.

Actually I would like to get a Big Muff with Tone Wicker.

Tele-Monster
June 2nd, 2011, 09:22 AM
Memory Man is pretty sweet.

hco7777
June 3rd, 2011, 12:08 AM
Own many of their pedals - big muff pi, pog 2, smmh, pulsar, cathedral - and no problems whatsoever working with each other or with the other pedals on my board. I've had such good luck with them that they're often my go to brand these days.

Mr Kite
June 3rd, 2011, 02:06 AM
They're all pretty quirky and, pog2, hog, and the odd delay aside, reasonably cheap analogue pedals... They are noisy, and they don't like being daisy chained, but they're cool!

If we all wanted stuff that was technically 100% great, then we'd all be playing noiseless single coils, using locking trems, and modelling amps...

tele salivas
June 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
I have EHX Holy Grail (big box) and the Knockout Attack EQ. The first Holy Grail I got was horrible, terrible noise, cut out after a week. Exchanged it..completely different stroy. Noiseless, works great, no problems going on 7 years of abuse. Knockoutattack EQ is excellent for several applications. I can make my tele sound like an acoustic, my Les Paul sound like it has P-90s and my Teisco Spectrum II sounds like I always imagined it could. No noise on this either. If you get an EHX pedal with noise isues, exchange it. You got a bum one. They are a bit funky, and I like that. If you want 100%, no frills and boring, buy Boss! Though their Super Shifter (PS-5) is a lot of fun.

bluemud928
June 3rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
the youtube ads starring mike matthews are 100% great !

6stringelectric
June 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
I have an old Small Stone - had it since the early 70's, it's not noisy and still works today.

I also have used a Big Muff (same era) and a Stereo Memory Man (80's era) and never had noise issues with them either.

I always use batteries however, maybe they don't take well to power adapters?

Thighbanez
June 3rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
They made Jack Conte....

:lol:

mattio
June 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
I have a HolyGrail (the old big one) and a SmallStone (also the old big one) both fine pedals for my need and no problems with noise as far as Ive noticed.

KC
June 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Holy Grail weirdness: sometimes noise or lack-of-reverb problems can be solved by reversing the polarity of the wall-wart. Just turn that sucker upside-down & the problem goes away. Try it.

Apart from that, yeah, noisy. If you've got everything turned way up & the guitar volume way down, you'll hear it. But as long as the guitar is in the top quarter of its volume knob, it merges with the background, and I think it sounds pretty sweet. Got one sitting on top of my GA-5 right now next to the TV.

Tele-Meister
June 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
I Love a bunch of their new stuff...muff with tone wicker, mini grail, flanger hoax, memory boy deluxe ect.

But your right, all of their stuff is mostly noisy or Volume cut when enganged i.e. flanger hoax

However, I STILL buy their pedals just because there is nothing out there like them.
If they could only correct those two problems, they would sell those things like hot cakes and even could raise their prices, and people would be more than willing to throw their hard earned $ at them...

losergeek
June 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
It's the quirks that I like - EHX pedals have character and at their price, you can't really expect perfection.

Carvalho Diablo
June 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
My experiences of EHX pedals have been very hit and miss.

Right now I have a Hum Debugger and a Small Clone chorus pedal on my board.

The Hum Debugger was a real bugger to get working just as I wanted and just as it supposed to. Had to buy an extra 2 channel loop pedal (really great pedal from Bright Onion) to get the best out of it.

The Small Clone is just a fantastic pedal.

I also had an EHX Signal Pad for a while; thankfully I managed to swap that piece of junk, so somebody else is probably using it as a door stop right now.

As with most things : try before you buy.

wildschwein
June 4th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I love this guy's work. Its all EHX and super inspirational:
oGzF19YI3BE

jtees4
June 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM
My Freedom amp re-issue is great! Same one that Yngwie uses!
http://www.ehx.com/blog/yngwie-malmsteen-with-his-freedom-amp

Chase TM
June 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
That's why I bought the memory boy actually...it has a chorus or vibrato option on the decay.

I tried a carbon copy but it never sounded "subtle" enough...

I forgot the memory boy had the modulation, I confused it with the memory toy. I usually have the effect level knob on the mxr less than 8 o'clock (about 1 or 2ish) but as soon as you add more instruments the repeats become much less noticeable. Think of KR's tone in his straight ahead recordings from the standard's trio vs his quintet recordings (the next step, deep song etc.) His sound for the trio stuff would be lost in the quintet, but the tone he uses with the quintet would not be suitable in the more traditional environment. No wonder everyone is copying him!

Anyway, speaking of EHX pedals a lot of the Toronto jazz guys are using the freeze pedal two players I know even have 2 on their boards! It sounds good for what they use it for, but the click the button gives is really loud and is obtrusive to the atmosphere of their playing. I know one player had this modded, but the new switch he put on doesn't work 100% of the time.

studio1087
June 4th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I bought three EH pedals in the last two years.

Soul Preacher compressor
Memory Boy delay
Nano Clone chorus

The noise level on all three was very bad.

I love the Nano concept....love the small solid project boxes.....love the layout and graphics. The sound and noise was bad enough that I would rather gig Danelectro cheapy pedals like the FAB boxes.

I had an LPB-1 and a Sreaming Tree and a Mole back in 1978.....I have always liked Mike Mathews.

The newest stuff is like cheap components in solid boxes.

looney77
June 5th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I love my wickermuff, but I can't stand my holy grail. I've had 2 very problematic HGs and I'm done with them. Also had a nano small stone that had a huge volume drop. It sounded good, except for the huge drop.

I'll may keep the wickermuff, because it does sound very good. But I will expect problems to arise with it at some point.

Mike Eskimo
June 5th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I'll may keep the wickermuff, because it does sound very good. But I will expect problems to arise with it at some point.

:lol:

That is the #1 pedal I used as my exception when I started this thread.

I would have the sustain almost all the way down on mine and the tone set to "off" and it was great. It could also do traditional fuzz really well.

looney77
June 6th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Tone off, wicker off, sustain @ next to nothing, level and tone at 1:30 - 2:00. Love that old Free, Deep Purple kinda tone I get from it.

vanguard
June 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM
i, for one, am a major opponent of EHX. i find that in the last 10 years, with the exception of the deluxe memory man and the small clone, they haven't made one great sounding pedal. i feel they are very innovative and courageous, but they undo that with crappy build-quality, noise and massive failure-rates. i'm glad they gave us several cool circuits that other companies could "borrow" and fix (analogman, stomp under foot, wren and cuff, way huge, etc.).

outside the of the DMM and the small clone, i also find their pedals to be a bunch of niche sounds that tend to have a thinning, toy-like effect.

for mass-produced pedals, i feel BOSS and maxon just wipe the floor with EHX.

Chiogtr4x
June 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM
It's the quirks that I like - EHX pedals have character and at their price, you can't really expect perfection.

"Quirks?"

I want my pedals to work and work properly when I step on them.Don't wanna find out about a pedal's "character" (character flaw) during a gig...

Vladimir
June 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I forgot the memory boy had the modulation, I confused it with the memory toy. I usually have the effect level knob on the mxr less than 8 o'clock (about 1 or 2ish) but as soon as you add more instruments the repeats become much less noticeable. Think of KR's tone in his straight ahead recordings from the standard's trio vs his quintet recordings (the next step, deep song etc.) His sound for the trio stuff would be lost in the quintet, but the tone he uses with the quintet would not be suitable in the more traditional environment. No wonder everyone is copying him!

I also have a carbon copy, and while I really like it, I still may get a separate chorus pedal, for that Mike Stern vibe.
Did you change the modulation pot inside the pedal?

losergeek
June 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM
"Quirks?"

I want my pedals to work and work properly when I step on them.Don't wanna find out about a pedal's "character" (character flaw) during a gig...

I've never had a specific 'reliability' issue - mine have always worked consistantly, but for example - on my Holy Stain the volume level is quite different when you switch from Clean to Fuzz to OD. Not necessarily the ideal way for something to work, but not a huge deal once you know about it. That being said, the levels are always consistently different - never had anything actually sketch out on me.

Chiogtr4x
June 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I've never had a specific 'reliability' issue - mine have always worked consistantly, but for example - on my Holy Stain the volume level is quite different when you switch from Clean to Fuzz to OD. Not necessarily the ideal way for something to work, but not a huge deal once you know about it. That being said, the levels are always consistently different - never had anything actually sketch out on me.

I was probably being too critical here- it's not like I play perfectly (ever!) - I think I was just expressing my frustration from when I owned an (early model)EHX Holy Grail that had a great sounding Reverb, but the switch had a mind of its own, and it made "swirly electrical intereference noise" in the background and therefore I just could not use it...felt like I wasted $100

I actually want to try out a Double Muff as it does seem to have the OD>fuzz sound that I just don't get from my other OD's and it is affordable