$vboptions[bbtitle]

Envelope filter...auto wah??

dinkymau
May 18th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Hey guys does anybody know about a flexible pedal that can make some good sounds?

Breen
May 18th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I was always taken by the ones made my Zvex.

Twangasaurus
May 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Lovetone Meatball!

daddyopapa
May 18th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Emma Discombobulator

PhillyWill
May 18th, 2011, 10:19 AM
The 3Leaf Proton has gotten some positive notice in dead-head circles: http://www.3leafaudio.com/

From a personal standpoint, I'm rather happy with my SWAW clone from GuitarPCB.com

artdecade
May 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I use the Menatone Mail Bomb whenever I need a bit of Jerry Garcia-funk coming out of the amp. Its not a clone of the famed Mutron, but it does a very passable imitation when needed. It can also be set up like a standard autowah as well.

greggorypeccary
May 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Find an old Boss T-Wah.

FMA
May 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM
A number of cool options -- old Mutron, Zvex Seek-Wah, among others. Another thing, you could try out a Line 6 M9 or M5. They have models of both of those pedals and some others that, if you're into making weird sounds, are a lot of fun to mess around with.
The Seek-Wah is extremely cool.

HenryAdams
May 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hey guys does anybody know about a flexible pedal that can make some good sounds?

Also check out the Malekko E.Filter. I love their stuff, and this thing is tiny (don't own it, but want it).

h1dkntypfzM

RubyRae
May 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I have a Wlison Effects Envelope Phollower, which is a clone type of the vintage mxr envelope filter. It is a good filter especially with humbuckers, and the price is good too.

I didn't realize Malekko made one, that must be newer. I might have to check that one out.

Nub
May 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
A huge +1 on the Wilson... it's got a permanent place on my board.

Agitator
May 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
As mentioned, the 3leaf Proton has been getting a lot of good notices since it came out.

A friend of mine has an EHX Micro Q-Tron on his board that sounds pretty great, too. The Q-Tron was designed by the inventor of the Mutron, and it definitely cops a lot of classic 70s sounds.

Paul in Colorado
May 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Maxon AF-9 reissue. Also E-H Q-Tron.

ChipOnly
May 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Check out the guyatone wah-rocker or the subdecay prometheus/proteus!

DOGMA Dunn
May 18th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I use a DIY DOD 440 clone. It colors the sound a bit much and is very sensitive towards volume and attack from your picking. Hard to dial in a usable Q.

wildschwein
May 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM
The Digitech Synth Wah is pretty cool. I've had one on my board for about a year and really dig the flexibility of the unit. You get auto wah, envelope, filter and some early monophonic synth sounds too. The filter sounds are pretty cool - give you a vowel-like tone. It tends to add quite a bit of gain to your signal though and needs to be up front in the chain:
EKywM-q8e58

p90grinder
May 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I have a Guyatone micro wah - pretty good for funky stuff. I mostly use a Keeley Nova Wah these days. Its better for lead sounds, doesn't do the funky chords or cry baby very well, its more like a wah set in the sweet spot and left there ala Shenker.

andrenighthound
May 19th, 2011, 01:44 AM
MAXON AF-9 great for all instruments too.

Martin R
May 19th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Find an old Boss T-Wah.

I've got one. If it's good enough for Garcia it's good enough for me.

dinkymau
May 19th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Thanks guys I'm checking all out in YouTube :)

gitold
May 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Line 6 FM4 does it all. You can usually find them used for pretty cheap. Check this one out on Youtube.

Agitator
May 19th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've got one. If it's good enough for Garcia it's good enough for me.

Garcia used a lot of Boss pedals but his envelope follower was a Mutron.

czech-one-2
May 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM

That is correct! Lotsa folks say he used a T-Wah in various gear forums but I dont think that was ever the case.Great pedal though!
Crap, now I really want that Malekko E. Filter............thanks alot :neutral:

RubyRae
May 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Crap, now I really want that Malekko E. Filter............thanks alot :neutral:

Me too, sitting here trying to figure out how the hell I could make that happen.
Oh well. I actully really like the Wilson Envelope Phollower I have, especially now that I have some humbucker gutars to rip on.

Garcia's tone is clearly a mutron, and a top of the line well tweaked one at that.
Very distinct sound he had on those songs.

onewhiteduck
May 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
That is correct! Lotsa folks say he used a T-Wah in various gear forums but I dont think that was ever the case.Great pedal though!

Yeah, he was known to use the Mutron, an old MXR envelope filter, and later a Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter, but I never heard of him with a TW-1.

I've got the Boss FT-2 - awesome filter, though I think I liked the T-Wah I had more. The FT-2 is really smooth, the T-Wah is super quacky.

dinkymau
May 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM
What do you guys think of the xotic robotalk??

nic'o'caster
May 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Lots of good choices. I'll add the EH Q-tron line to the list and also the pricey but excellent MP SWAW (Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah) !
Now it all depends on what you're after : synthy, funky, Jerry ???

Pajama
May 21st, 2011, 06:24 AM

Subdecay Prometheus has really cool quack box & filter/arpeggiator sounds. Extremely versatile for a wide variety of cool sounds.

:razz:PJ

Durango Twango
May 22nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
I currently have the Proton on my board and just sold a Robotalk 2. This isn's about a better or worse thing, the Proton just worked better ergonomically on my kind of cramped PT mini.

The Robotalk 2 is great - two separate filters, huge range of tones, more hi fi sounding than the Proton. Great pedal.

The Proton is a little throatier sounding, maybe a touch more character, not as wide a range of tones as the Robotalk 2. It would really benefit from a mix knob like the Robotalk has, but it's a great sounding pedal in the end.

Both of these work better for me than a wah pedal. I'd like to hear what everybody thinks about the Malekko.

kp8
May 22nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
Lovetone Meatball!

if i was hanging out with some folks after a jam having some beers and chewing the fat and I asked, "hey, i am thinking about getting an Envelope filter, what should I get"? and someone simply blurted out "Lovetone Meatball". I would hit that person as hard as I could right in the taco.

Martin R
May 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM

That could be...but I'm remembering a GP interview where he talked about coming across the T-wah in a music store. Maybe that was his intro to the sound and he migrated to the Mutron.

(Being an old Deadhead, I know these conversations can go on a while. Anyway, looks like I have to check out the Mutron. Thanks.)

MrCairo46
May 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Mars effects
I've had a YesMan for about a year. I love it.
http://marsfxusa.com/04.aspx

Not many distributors but heck I mostly order by mail anyway.

kp8
May 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
I have one of those old lime green DOD FX25 suckers and a Boss T-wah. Both are good.

Agitator
May 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
That could be...but I'm remembering a GP interview where he talked about coming across the T-wah in a music store. Maybe that was his intro to the sound and he migrated to the Mutron.I don't think so. He started using the Mutron around 1977 and I'm not sure the Touch Wah was even out by then.

(Being an old Deadhead, I know these conversations can go on a while. Anyway, looks like I have to check out the Mutron. Thanks.)

A real Mutron will set you back some serious cash, especially in good condition. Electro-Harmonix makes a few versions of the Q-Tron, which was designed for them by the same guy who did the Mutron originally. There's also a new pedal from 3Leaf called the Proton, which seems to nail the classic 70s Mutron sound pretty well (it's a lot smaller than the EHX pedals, too).

Al Watsky
May 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
The Guyatone WR is pretty dope. Does all sorts of weird stuff after attack and is very voltage sensitive. Its a budget pedal that works and its small. I prefer the older models with the cheesy rubber surround to the new micro's. The old ones sound better in a low fi way.
I would like to check that melekko. Looks like it might fit on my tiny travel board.