$vboptions[bbtitle]

Fretboard nut slot too wide

JStover
February 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
So I'm heading down the homestretch on my first from scratch tele build and I've found that I carelessly cut my nut slot a hair too wide. Anybody have a preferred method for dealing with this? I'm thinking some sort of epoxy putty but I haven't really figured out a type or brand.

mkgearhead
February 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
So I'm heading down the homestretch on my first from scratch tele build and I've found that I carelessly cut my nut slot a hair too wide. Anybody have a preferred method for dealing with this? I'm thinking some sort of epoxy putty but I haven't really figured out a type or brand.

Can you just cut your own nut to the width of the slot, or is it too wide toward the first fret and throwing everything off?

JStover
February 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I probably could cut a new nut but I was hoping to use the blank I had and save the time and effort. I'm pretty sure the extra width is on the headstock end.

guitarbuilder
February 8th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Glue a sliver of maple or rosewood veneer behind it if it is on the peghead side. If you don't have any wood scraps, use a piece of business card. If it is on the edge toward the fretboard, I'd go for a matching sliver of wood.

JStover
February 13th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Since I didn't do a build thread I figured I would just throw this here. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out for a first time from-scratch build. I didn't need to shim the nut after all, just glued it in and it seems pretty solid. I still need to go back and recheck all of my grounding as I seem to have a bit more of the classic buzz than I would like, but it still sounds pretty good.
The beast behind it was the first build I did about 10 years ago with a straight through neck from Carvin. Looking at the contours now I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking at the time. (Or what I was on :roll:)