$vboptions[bbtitle]

Any books that go step by step

Leland105
January 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Are there any books that go step by step to building a tube amp?

imwjl
January 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
This covers building a model, may not be what you're looking for but I found it a worthy purchase for my interests in building an amp.

Leland105
January 4th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Sorry but can't see what book you are talking about

Wayne Alexander
January 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've got a lot of amp books, and none of the ones I've seen do what you want. However, if you buy an amp kit from GDS (Marshall 18 watt type amps) or Allen Amps (various upgraded blackface and brownface inspired amps) or Mission Amps (5E3) or some other kit seller who has comprehensive instructions, you'll learn a huge amount. Many kit sellers (Weber for instance) don't supply any build instructions. That's fine for experienced amp builders but if you're a beginner you can't build a bulletproof amp from a circuit layout picture.

If you're interested in a Marshall jtm45 or 1987 or 1959 or 2203 (the big classic ones), though Metroamp no longer sells kits, their kit instructions are spectacularly detailed, you can download them here for now:

http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Amp_Kit_Instructions

I'd suggest downloading the Metroamp ones to get a sense of what to do and how, though the instructions apply to classic Marshall amps the steps and guidelines are useful for any ampbuilding.

Leland105
January 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Okay well based on experience what company has the best instructions that come with a kit?

Tiarnan
January 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I would say a good place to start would be Dave Hunters "the guitar amp handbook" Lot of good information in there and at the end there is a section devoted to building an amp designed by him.

Wayne Alexander
January 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Leland, I mentioned three companies that supply very good detailed instructions with their kits. GDS (Marshall 18 watt type amps) or Allen Amps (various upgraded blackface and brownface inspired amps) or Mission Amps (5E3)

BoogerRooger
January 5th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Ampmaker's (http://www.ampmaker.com/home-1-0.html) online instruction manuals are very clear.

Leland105
January 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Wayne. I knew you mentioned those builders but I didn't know if you was just giving a general list of amp kits or if you actually recommended them. The Ampmaker kits look pretty good and not really expensive.

Wayne Alexander
January 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Not sure whether you noticed, but Ampmaker is in the UK. Shipping costs will be high to the US.

printer2
January 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Have not read it but the amateur amp building community seems to hold high regard for Merlin's books. He also spends time in forums helping others building amps.

http://shop.dobermanamps.com/category-s/26.htm

printer2
January 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
A quickie amp design guide.

http://www.wattkins.com/node/16767

celeste
January 6th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Have not read it but the amateur amp building community seems to hold high regard for Merlin's books. He also spends time in forums helping others building amps.

http://shop.dobermanamps.com/category-s/26.htm

Merlin's books really are not for the beginner, they are design books, not build books and are very much not step by step. Unless he were to have a pretty technical background, a beginner would find himself overwhelmed.

Telenut62
January 9th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I would say a good place to start would be Dave Hunters "the guitar amp handbook" Lot of good information in there and at the end there is a section devoted to building an amp designed by him.

+1

M Fowler
February 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Books from Tino Zottola from www.tubesandmore.com are set by step building complete with layouts, schematics and BOM.

Tele-Belly
February 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Books from Tino Zottola from www.tubesandmore.com are set by step building complete with layouts, schematics and BOM.

+1...I am doing a little homework before my first build and I ordered this yesterday;

$23.95

Qty
B-911

Catalog Page 132

Building Vacuum Tube Guitar & Bass Amplifiers, Volume 1
By Tino Zottola

Building your own vacuum tube guitar or bass amplifier from scratch is truly an exciting experience. This book describes the detailed construction of five vacuum tube amplifiers. The construction of these amplifiers is described in full detail with chassis drilling templates, component installation, wire-by-wire hook-ups and schematics. The amplifier projects included in this book are: Sonic MA1 (two tube amp, late 1950s design with a solid state rectifier), All American 4 (four tube amp, early 1960's design using common radio tubes found in "All American 5" radios made between 1947 and 1971), Champ Amp (classic replica of a 1950s Fender amp with a single ended 6v6 output tube), Deluxe Amp (classic replica of a 1940's Fender amp with push pull 6V6 tubes), Bassman (classic replica of a 1950s Fender amp with push-pull 6l6 tubes).

120 pgs, spiral bound. 0.7 lbs 8.5" x 11"