$vboptions[bbtitle]

Any Way I Can Use These Rio Grande's For A 4 Way Switch?

JaySwear
November 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I've got a set of Rio Grande Dirty Harry pickups (that I'm so excited to try :mrgreen:). However, I noticed that the Rio Grande diagram I've downloaded shows that the pickups only have a hot (white) and ground (black). I'm not very knowledgeable about wiring. I can follow a simple diagram and thats about it. I'd love some help. Is the ground wired to the switch in the 4 way diagram? I was sure it was not, and thats what's really throwing me off here.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
-Jay

Four Way Switch Diagram:
http://www.pmpickups.com/images/wiring_Tele_4way.jpg

Rio Grande Telecaster Diagram:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5122/5221498035_c20bbcd736_z.jpg

EDIT: I realize the Rio Grande is for a 3 way switch. What I want to know is if it's possible to wire the Rio Grande's in a 4 way switch, and if so how. Thanks again!

birddog01
November 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I don't know what the problem is. Wire it up just like the top diagram shows and you will be fine. You do have the 4 way switch and components on the list in that diagram don't you?

JaySwear
November 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Yes, sir! The part that completely threw me is that I've never seen a ground wire connected to the switch. I was so sure that the 4 way switch diagram was showing a north start and north end, instead of a hot and ground.

I also realized I've put this in the wrong spot. Moderators, please feel free to delete or move the thread. Thanks again!

Mark Davis
November 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM
You need a 3 wire neck pickup if you want to use all the features of a 4 way switch.

You can add one yourself or have a pickup winder do it for ya.

Mark Davis
November 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
http://www.specialtyguitars.com/kits/4way_diagram.pdf

sjtalon
November 30th, 2010, 09:12 PM
The neck pup doesn't have a cover.

Just wire it as it is per the 4 w diagram there, colors are correct ....... black is negative, white is positive, then, go ahead, "MAKE MY DAY"

Sorry Mark 'ol buddy, the Strat sold !!!! FINALLY :mrgreen:

2blue
November 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I just sold an Esquire with Rio Grandes's and a 4-way, you're gonna luv it!

JaySwear
November 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I just sold an Esquire with Rio Grandes's and a 4-way, you're gonna luv it!

thats great to hear! my original plan was to make this one into a nashville telecaster with a middle pickup as well as the other 2, but if this 4 way switch does all i've heard it does then i'll probably scrap that idea and go with the good old 2 pickup telecaster system. i'll try the nashville tele style for a while and see how often i really use that middle pickup.

2blue
December 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM
traditional nashville wiring (5-way) will not give you that series wired sound that you get from the 4-way. This is a great blues/rock, alt country sound.

Nub
December 2nd, 2010, 01:23 AM
My #1 for 10 years had Muy Grandes with a 4-way switch... worked great & sounded fantastic.