$vboptions[bbtitle]

Poplar body opinions

tfk0301
November 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I searched this forum and found some thoughts on Poplar but not real conclusive. I wanted to take a pole here to see what folks think about a poplar Tele body. I want to make a surf green tele so wood aesthetics are not much of a concern. I'm leaning toward poplar because they are cheaper from Warmoth than ash and there's no grain filling. Poplar also holds a screw well and from what I understand has been used by Fender at times under their painted bodies e.g. colors like Daphne or Sea Foam etc. Just wondering if anybody has made/hear a poplar body.

Thanks.

gotie
November 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
The only direct experience I have of poplar is in the form of a mexican Strat that I bought 14 years ago. The seller told me it was made of poplar and at the price I paid (320 $ with a hard case), I believed him.

I have always liked that guitar and when compared with an alder bodied Custom Shop Strat (Custom Classic), their tone where very similar, the mexican one a little brighter and with a little less depth but still very pleasing. Both guitars had Texas Special pickups when the comparison was made. Both guitars' weigh was about the same also.

I don't know if a Telecaster made of poplar would be the same as an alder one, but I think it probably would. I would not hesitate to use poplar especially for a body with a solid colour.

Ricky D.
November 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Woodman, one of the long-time members here, built a partscaster with a rainbow poplar body. One of the all-time great build threads on TDPRI. Here's the link:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/99144-rainbow-tele-build-thread-twist.html

IdahoPicker
November 13th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Poplar is as good as the paint you cover it with. Period.

telekazamm
November 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I think the wood makes a big difference as resinating anyway? not positive about that

adjason
November 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM
poplar is a fine wood to build with -I don't think you could hear a difference between it and alder.

sjtalon
November 14th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I have a '95 MIM Std. with a poplar body and it sounds GREAT !

It could be the CS Texas Specials that help though. :wink: