$vboptions[bbtitle]

Hum issue, need help...

Jakedog
November 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Alrighty, here's the deal.

I got a set of Tex-mex tele pickups in a trade, and stuck them in my MIM Std. I now have a wicked hum. Sounds like a ground loop, but it all looks good.

Here's something I dealt with- When I got the pickups home, I noticed the coil wire was broken where it attached to the leads. It was just not attached. It really took some doing, because I don't have the right stuff to really do it properly, but I did get it re-soldered to the right place.

The pickup works and sounds great, but I am wondering if I did something to it that is causing it not to function properly and that is where this loud as bombs buzz is originating from. Am I onto something? Do I need a new pickup? Or is this not likely to be the problem?

The other thing I noticed, is that the stock MIM pickups both had their ground wires screwed down into the pickup cavities, as well as attached in the proper places. This seemed silly to me, and redundant, so I just wired up the new pickups the same way I always wire them, a-la Fender and Seymour Duncan diagrams.

Unless I broke the pickup (but what the heck, it was broken anyhow so why not try?) I can't figure out all the hum. Anybody?

Edit- with most grounding problems I've dealt with, you can kill the hum by touching the bridge, pots, strings etc. With this guitar, the hum actually gets louder when you touch those parts. Much louder.

Jakedog
November 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM
DOH! Just looked at it again. Had no ground run to the bridge plate. Problem solved. The moral of the story- Don't drink and solder.:lol:

NomadNomad666
November 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Dude, glad you solved it so easily. Could you have a look at my issue that I just posted? Any help appreciated. Nomad