$vboptions[bbtitle]

Wampler Ecstasy Overdrive Pedal vs. Zendrive

Paul in Colorado
September 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Has anyone compared the two? Which one is closest to the elusive "D-Tone"? Pros and cons of each.

Tonemonkey
September 18th, 2010, 05:55 AM
This is the best / most accurate sounding Zendrive demo on youtube, well most like the tones I get with my tele.

(Can't embed for some reason):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJaBKnPDxpY

dalandan
September 18th, 2010, 06:08 AM
the new way to embed is to just paste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJaBKnPDxpY

it should look something like this without the exaggerated spacing

[ YOUTUBE ] aJaBKnPDxpY [ / YOUTUBE ]

aJaBKnPDxpY

pW1SqL8k-9c&feature=related

this other video is pretty nice too. it's a tele with a deluxe reverb. i prefer this demo over GMD's slightly.

Tonemonkey
September 18th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks D

Nice demo by Tim Lerch - didn't really look at the flexibility of either pedal, focusing on one tone. But showed how well they clean up through vol pot or pick attack.

dalandan
September 18th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks D

Nice demo by Tim Lerch - didn't really look at the flexibility of either pedal, focusing on one tone. But showed how well they clean up through vol pot or pick attack.

no problemo, T.

I like how Tim worked the dynamics of the pedal though. GMD's had better setting variation. :wink:

Tonemonkey
September 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Ahh But TL never touched upon or talked about the Voice or Tone controls on the Zendrive. He just tried to make the pedals sound alike.

The ZD is not the one-trick pony he makes out, it can cream up your bridge pup, and with a touch more Voice make your neck pup cut through while retaining its neck pup characteristics.

Its not my choice as a rhythm OD, except as a light break-up, but as a lead boost.....it can be an underwear changing experience.

Paul in Colorado
September 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I know what a Zen Drive is like, but I don't know what the Wampler is like in relationship to the ZD. That was my question.

Tonemonkey
September 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I know what a Zen Drive is like, but I don't know what the Wampler is like in relationship to the ZD. That was my question.

Has anyone compared the two? Which one is closest to the elusive "D-Tone"? Pros and cons of each.

That, was the question. You now have two opinions on one, hopefully someone will give you a A/B comparison.

Sorry to have bothered you with some opinion and videos, we didn't realise you had a detailed knowledge of the ZD. Hopefully in future we won't fail to meet your exacting but unspecified questions.

:roll:

elicross
September 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I sense sarcasm.

Tonemonkey
September 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Your Spider-senses tingling, are they? :wink:

dalandan
September 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Ahh But TL never touched upon or talked about the Voice or Tone controls on the Zendrive. He just tried to make the pedals sound alike.

The ZD is not the one-trick pony he makes out, it can cream up your bridge pup, and with a touch more Voice make your neck pup cut through while retaining its neck pup characteristics.

Its not my choice as a rhythm OD, except as a light break-up, but as a lead boost.....it can be an underwear changing experience.

I will have to name my next band after that. :lol:

anyway, to the TS, I have tested both and I like the zen for that refined Robben Ford type tone and for some crunch while i like the wampler for the higher gain dumble-style tones. The Wampler sounds a lot like the Barber burn units I have used in the past.

schenkadere
September 19th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks D

Negligible difference on those two...he really did dial them in to sound the same.

Paul in Colorado
September 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM
That, was the question. You now have two opinions on one, hopefully someone will give you a A/B comparison.

Sorry to have bothered you with some opinion and videos, we didn't realise you had a detailed knowledge of the ZD. Hopefully in future we won't fail to meet your exacting but unspecified questions.

Sorry, Tonemonkey. I didn't mean to come off like that. I'm planning on getting a ZD, but came across the Wampler and was wondering about it. I shouldn't post when I'm cranky. ;-)

Tonemonkey
September 19th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry, Tonemonkey. I didn't mean to come off like that. I'm planning on getting a ZD, but came across the Wampler and was wondering about it. I shouldn't post when I'm cranky. ;-)

Me too, mate....I bit back too quick, sorry back! :oops:

Just saying, its a great Dumblesque lead boost. The good thing is that if you ain't happy you can send it back to Alf for a full refund...but its worth tweaking it a bit...what's your amp?

I use a Fuzzhead or just amp OD for rhythm.

Paul in Colorado
September 22nd, 2010, 01:23 AM
As far as the amp... well, it depends. I have a couple of Fenders, DSR and BMR, a Rivera S-120-210 and the amp I use most is a Mesa Studio .22+ with an Altec speaker. I also have a MK I RI that weighs a ton (hardwood cab and EVM speaker), so it's in the rehearsal room. I've read good things about a MK I and the ZD together.

nosuch
September 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM

sorry that I must hijack the thread for the second, but I have a question about policy (I know this here is sorted out).
I posted a search ad for a Robert Cray Strat a while ago in the qualified section of the strat-talk forum and some wisea** answered by posting this: http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=hp&q=fender+robert+cray&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=fender+rober&gs_rfai=&fp=2f4c0a26766e349c&cad=b. how would one react to such ignorance. I told him I know how to google but was looking for used guitars. was that rude?
again sorry for the hijacking.

Tonemonkey
September 22nd, 2010, 02:50 AM
sorry that I must hijack the thread for the second, but I have a question about policy (I know this here is sorted out).
I posted a search ad for a Robert Cray Strat a while ago in the qualified section of the strat-talk forum and some wisea** answered by posting this: http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=hp&q=fender+robert+cray&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=fender+rober&gs_rfai=&fp=2f4c0a26766e349c&cad=b. how would one react to such ignorance. I told him I know how to google but was looking for used guitars. was that rude?
again sorry for the hijacking.

Nosuch,

You just need to remember that forums (fora?) are open to misinterpretation, as you can see by this thread! :oops:

Depending on the wording of your Ad, he may have tried to be helpful, but maybe he was attempting humour. It is these attempts at humour that most often lead to small arguments. In this thread PiC quickly realised I had grabbed the wrong end of the stick (nice metaphor!) and peace broke out.

So in answer to your questions:

Keep the higher ground, his ignorance may have been a failed attempt at humour. A good response would be - Thanks for your help, it hadn't occurred to me to use a Search Engine. :wink:

No you weren't rude.

As difficult as it is, a good rule is - If in doubt or angry, don't post anything.

Tonemonkey
September 22nd, 2010, 03:03 AM
As far as the amp... well, it depends. I have a couple of Fenders, DSR and BMR, a Rivera S-120-210 and the amp I use most is a Mesa Studio .22+ with an Altec speaker. I also have a MK I RI that weighs a ton (hardwood cab and EVM speaker), so it's in the rehearsal room. I've read good things about a MK I and the ZD together.

Thats a nice stable of amps you got there.

The more I think about how the ZD reacts to variables the more I'm convinced what you put in to the pedal (guitar) is of more import than what you're plugged in to......what I mean is, some amps take some pedals well, other combinations work less well.

Tele and ZD seem to love any tube amp I've tried, but I've had to fiddle to get something approaching this "nirvana" tone with a Strat.

Does that make sense? :oops:

Wampler Pedals
September 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM
technically, circuitry is somewhat similar (both are opamp softclippers), but the zen is voiced to have a bit more mids, where I wanted the ecstasy to be a bit more transparent.

Walkin Stiff
August 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Here's a comparison update for 2011: I've owned both the Zen drive and Ectasy overdrive. I recently sold the Zen to my buddy. I always found it too dark and although the zen is an outstanding lead boost pedal I found the Ectasy to have more of a 'D' sound for my playing and gear. I use a Fender BassBreaker (Bassman in 2x12 celestion v30 format) and a Gibson SG w/Humbugs - I mostly play rock/blues originals but this pedal can cover a lot of ground with classic rock and blues covers.

I particularly favor the Ectasy over the Zen for chords/rhythm. The Ectasy sounds more dimensional to me. It sounds more transparent, not as much as a Timmy pedal, but transparent still. I've been jumping between the Smooth and the Open switch on it. The Smooth has the 'D' sound. Open is similar but more gritty and more mids, and Crunch is the Bogner sound. I can really get some really cool 'D' tones on Smooth when using the guitar's volume rolled back to 7, pedal gain is around 9 - 10 o'clock. This pedal is very dynamic and picking subtleties come through. To me a dumble amp has always sounded really clear, like a combination of the best fender clean and the best marshall overdrive combined into 1 amazing tone. That's what this pedal reminds me of.

If you get an Ectasy overdrive, Read the manual. i.e. don't start with the controls at 12 o'clock. Start with vol at 12, everything else around 7 or lower, and work your way up. I keep the bass low at around 9 o'clock.

Pedals I've been using as of recent: Fulltone Fulldrive2 Mosfet, Hermida Zen Drive, Barber 1/2 Gainer. I really love the Barber 1/2 gainer, but still the Ectasy has replaced all of these. For me the Ectasy has the most transparency and when I dig in it really jumps out.

I like the Ectasy pedal so much, I just bought a Wampler Talent Booster and I'm comparing it alongside the Xotic EP Booster for a lead boost with the Ectasy drive. I may post the outcome soon.

jonezee
October 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM
My New Euphoria pedal is arriving tomorrow- i cant wait! I know its a great pedal on its own but im also curious on what sounds i can get out of it staged with my TS 808

BWNadeau
October 7th, 2013, 02:27 PM
You should be happy, Jonezee...I stacked mine with my Phantom Drive (enhanced 808), and they were excellent together. If I was setting the dumble-voice on the Euphoria, I would place it after the Phantom. I preferred it in front of the Phantom set on the open voicing most of the time though.

jonezee
October 7th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah BWN just got the Euphoria today- its a great Pedal ive got it after the TS808 right now and getting some killer tones with the Dumble and Smooth switch.

jonezee
October 7th, 2013, 06:12 PM

THE WAMPLER EUPHORIA IS BAD ASS! ....do i sound like Gearmandude?

gitold
October 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I know this is a zombie thread but Paul I played with you a few years ago and your Zen drive sounded killer. So did my Wampler Ecstasy.....Euphoria.

artdecade
October 7th, 2013, 06:23 PM
THE WAMPLER EUPHORIA IS BAD ASS! ....do i sound like Gearmandude?

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/ap/b9660b84-6043-4b29-908f-8cee179c0529.grid-4x2.jpg

jonezee
October 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM
http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/ap/b9660b84-6043-4b29-908f-8cee179c0529.grid-4x2.jpg

We Only Came To Kick Some Ass- Rock The *** House and Kick some Ass!

tlerch
October 7th, 2013, 07:00 PM
My impression was that tonally the ZD and the Wampler are in a similar zone. gain wise. , also similar. the main difference to my ears and fingers was that the Wampler has a bit more compression so the notes bloom a bit more and the attack is a bit less strident than the ZD.
I keep the ZD on my board and the Wampler is now with a friend.

all the best
Tim

jonezee
October 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
My impression was that tonally the ZD and the Wampler are in a similar zone. gain wise. , also similar. the main difference to my ears and fingers was that the Wampler has a bit more compression so the notes bloom a bit more and the attack is a bit less strident than the ZD.
I keep the ZD on my board and the Wampler is now with a friend.

all the best
Tim

Well said Tim