$vboptions[bbtitle]

Anyone else use DGDGBE?

chillman
July 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
After working on this album I'm making for a while, playing most of the rhythm parts in open G and all the lead parts in standard tuning, I was trying to come up with a way to do both live.

I decided all I needed to do to play the leads like I'm used to is tune the high E back up to E and keep the rest of the guitar in open G, then I looked it up and realized that among many others, this tuning was a favorite of Chet Atkins and Lonnie Johnson. The music I'm making with it could not be farther from theirs, but it's cool to think that they might also have stumbled upon this tuning as a necessity.

Anyone else use it?

gtroates
July 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Robert Johnson used a half and half tuning: (from low to high strings) E, B, E, A, C#, E This is lower half open E tuning and upper half open A tuning. While not the same as yours it is the same concept, convenience and versatility, one finger E shape barre chords on the lower three strings and the ability to play slide licks in A tuning on the upper three strings. Like yours, this is only one note different from a common tuning, open A is E, A, E, A, C#, E:cool: