$vboptions[bbtitle]

Are my frets levelled but not crowned ????

Texecaster
July 28th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Hello all,

I just had a close look at my 2008 Deluxe Tele, and it looks like someone has levelled the frets, but not bothered to crown them.

Opinions?

It plays OK, but should I bother crowning them.

I bought it second hand, although the PO did nothing to it....so he says.

Cheers.

newtwanger
July 28th, 2010, 09:38 AM
This one works well, then polish to a slippery smoothness. Your intonation and strings will be happier too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Diamond-fret-crowning-file-luthier-guitar-Tool-/250669241425?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a5d0d1451

Bswailes
July 28th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I must agree with newtwanger. A Diamond file, such as in his link, or as sold retail at StewMac, WILL PUT THINGS RIGHT!

Hollmanp90
July 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Gotta say, I prefer the flatter tops.....get too much of a sharp top and goofey stuff tends to rear its ugliniess......Good advise above. Your frets really just need a good kiss and polish.

Texecaster
July 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Thank you all for your advice & swift replies.

Looks like I'll grab me a fret crowning file and then polish.

Just to double check, the frets on the 2008 USA Deluxe Tele aren't stainless are they?

Cheers.

Ricky D.
July 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
This one works well for me.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Three-in-one_Fret_File.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=531

I would probably want something better if I were a pro guitar mechanic. The diamond abrasive stuff is really nice - you can cut on the push and the pull.

KokoTele
July 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Looks like I'll grab me a fret crowning file and then polish.

Just to double check, the frets on the 2008 USA Deluxe Tele aren't stainless are they?

Nope :-)

Just a little advice... there's a learning curve to this, and it's very easy to get your frets unlevelled and cause a lot of buzzing. As with any skill, you get better as you do it more, and your first attempts may be less than satisfactory.

If this is something you plan on doing quite a bit, dive in. If it's something you just want to do for this one guitar, you'll probably find that the cost of the tools is almost as much as it would cost to take it to the shop.

I don't think that a fret crowning file alone is enough for this job. You need a way to check if your frets are level afterwards (I use StewMac's fret rocker) and supplies/tools to polish the frets.

And, IMHO, crowning the frets without leveling them is like changing your oil but not replacing the oil filter. Might as well get it done right the first time.

Texecaster
July 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Nope :-)

Just a little advice... there's a learning curve to this, and it's very easy to get your frets unlevelled and cause a lot of buzzing. As with any skill, you get better as you do it more, and your first attempts may be less than satisfactory.

If this is something you plan on doing quite a bit, dive in. If it's something you just want to do for this one guitar, you'll probably find that the cost of the tools is almost as much as it would cost to take it to the shop.

I don't think that a fret crowning file alone is enough for this job. You need a way to check if your frets are level afterwards (I use StewMac's fret rocker) and supplies/tools to polish the frets.

And, IMHO, crowning the frets without leveling them is like changing your oil but not replacing the oil filter. Might as well get it done right the first time.

I think I might take your advice here and get this done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I have never done this before, but plan on building the wife a partscaster soon. It will be my virgin build, so I'll use that for a little experience.

Thanks for your knowledge and advice.

Cheers.

skelingtony
July 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
In my humble opinion, those frets look just fine. A little polish with some 0000 wire wool (with the fingerboard protected) and you should be ok!

If you are looking into doing the work yourself, and have the tools, you 'might as well' check they are level and recrown. But I wouldn't recommend paying a guitar shop to work on them - not until they have a bit of wear and tear, or fret buzz problems.