$vboptions[bbtitle]

SING "Sweet Home Chicago"?

Warren Pederson
June 10th, 2010, 02:02 AM
OK...How do you SING "Sweet Home Chicago"?

It's usually played in E and that's the way we play it. Reading the notation of the vocal line it goes D to E (come on....) G,G (Baby) then runs down to E and octave lower (don't you want to go).

The high E is equivalent to the high open E string, the G equivalent to the 3rd fret of the high E string.

I can't reliably reach the high notes but doing it an octave lower goes down too low.

I had a recording (I'll try to find it again) where while still playing in the key of E the (come on...) was an A to B note equivalent to A on the 2nd fret of the G string and B a whole step up, which is much easier.

How do you bluesers do it?? Or, is this just stupid and I shouldn't attempt it.

suave eddie
June 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Play it in a different key.........................

Axis29
June 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I can't read music for voice... Just makes it easier.

My question is, can you sing along with any recorded versions?

Sweet Home Chicago is still one of my favorites. It should be in any regular Bluesman's bag (even if not played EVERY night!)

jazztele
June 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Living in Chicago, I can honestly say I've heard this song butchered so many times that it absolutely doesn't matter at all how you sing it. If you can hit ONE of those notes you'll have hit 100% more than what the hack blooze band hit last night at a blackhawks after-party i went to. Just horrible.:mrgreen:

Wally
June 10th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I jsut listened to the Robert Johnson cut. I have no idea if he was tuned up or if the recording process raised things, but he is in F.
Don't try that if yo ucan't handle the key of E. Have you tried tuning down?

" had a recording (I'll try to find it again) where while still playing in the key of E the (come on...) was an A to B note equivalent to A on the 2nd fret of the G string and B a whole step up, which is much easier."

IF a singer uses those notes while the key is kept to E, things are just wrong. You can use those notes for the tune, but you need to play the song in the key of A if you do so.