$vboptions[bbtitle]

G&L vs. Fender

Okieactor
June 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
What do you guys think about G&L? Would you rather have that or a Fender?

And where are their non-USA models built, and how are they?

jim_pridx
June 5th, 2010, 12:38 PM
G&Ls are great guitars! The Tribute models are the imported versions, and while they were once built in Korea, they're now made in Indonesia. They're great guitars for the price. If you do a search, you'll find tons of information with plenty of thoughts regarding G&L vs Fender. There's also a G&L owners club on the TDPRI as well. I have both G&L and Fender guitars, and I'm really not partial to one or the other. There's no doubt in my mind that both are great contributions to the guitar world!

gogirlguitars
June 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I have three G&L strats. I love the necks on them, you can choose from G&L what neck shape you want. i go for the 1 5/8 12 radius, slim.

I have and older G&L strat 1992, which i just worked over an am loving. Damn thing won't go out of tune !

I also have a 2006 fat strat G&L..neck is unbelievable and an Indonesian strat, which is IMO better than an MIM Fender.

Mark Davis
June 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM
All my G&L's 11 of them all pre BBE are great better fit and finish and workmanship than USA Fender models.

1977CJ5
June 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have an American made Bluesboy semi hollow. I go back and forth between it and my Squier CVC. Love them both, but very different. The bluesboy always impresses me how musical it is. It sounds absolutely fantastic regardless of what amp I am playing through. My CVC plays and sounds great too, but I have to tweak my amps a little more to get the best sounds out of it.

unchained
June 5th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Let me put it this way. My only "Telecasters" are the new Squier Classic Vibe Custom and 50s models. No Fenders in this house.:cool:

Mark Davis
June 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Let me put it this way. My only "Telecasters" are the new Squier Classic Vibe Custom and 50s models. No Fenders in this house.:cool:

I have both of those also but they do say Fender right on the front of the headstock.

getrguy1
June 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
G&L. Now that's a real Fender.

91xlntS-3
June 5th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Have owned several G&L's over the years, both USA and Tribute series.

The Korean Tributes, IMO, are top quality guitars! Played a few of the Indonesian models and while okay, just didn't seem to be the same as the Koreans.

Different animals, Fender and G&L, but great guitars in thier own right. Can't go wrong either way!

fezz parka
June 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM
My G&L is a gutsy guitar. I bought it from Dale Hyatt right after Leo died. Got the tour of Leo's office and workshop. It was really cool.
Unfortunately, I don't really play it anymore. Very P90-ish on the bridge.
http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds/data/9/large/DSC_00022.JPG

mraymond77
June 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I go out of my way to dish out more money just to have "fender" on my headstock

Tonemonkey
June 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM
G&L. Now that's a real Fender.

Absolute b0ll0cks. :roll:

Jack Wells
June 5th, 2010, 05:54 PM
And where are their non-USA models built, and how are they?

The first non-USA models were made in Korea. The Koreans make really nice guitars. Now non-USA G&Ls come from Indonesia. Can't answer how they are, all my G&L are American made.

fezz parka
June 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Absolute b0ll0cks. :roll:

Not really.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YQA5YTDKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Tonemonkey
June 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
This just ignores history.

Last thing I did was X.....therefore A. B C etc which I did before, never happened...

fezz parka
June 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM
That's not the point. But you know that.:lol:

G&L is just a continuation of what Fender and Fullerton would have done had they not sold the company to CBS. Before Leo died, on a good day you could drop by the Fullerton office's of G&L and see George, Leo, and Dale Hyatt all there working. Just like 1956.:grin:

Tonemonkey
June 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM
So FP, he obviously made significant technological and musical advances, over and the Tele, during his G&L days, to justify the G&L lackeys' claims of bearing his legacy? :wink:

telemania
June 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM
if I get gas my next guitar would be a G&L tele. i know this is blasphemy, but i'm kind of good for now on guitars (2 melancon strats, 1 high end tele project guitar and one squire tele I can take to the more dicey clubs, and an acoustic when it calls for it). there has been some negative talk about Gibson owning them, but the above poster says BBE? oh well, suffice it to say I see a lot of threads on Fender vs. G&L but I don't recall seeing a thread saying someone hated their G&L.

Mark Davis
June 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
The older G&L's made before Leo died and BBE bought the company are different than todays G&L's which are still good guitars.

Leo did the routes different and a few small changes in pickup windings.

The saddlelock bridge like used on the ASAT's and the Dual Fulcrum tremelo used on the G&L Strat styled guitars are improvements on the original Fender design.

It all really started with Music Man then to G&L.

rhinocaster
June 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I've tried so hard to like G&L guitars, but ultimately I just don't.

They're not better built than Fender and they don't sound better than Fender.

G&L guitars feel overly solid and lack the vintage tone and feel of great Fender guitars. They're wonderful instruments, but when you want a great Fender, G&L just doesn't build one.

They don't sound or feel even remotely like a Fender Custom Shop, so don't let that bit of internet fluffery about G&L's being as good as Fender CS, convince you to spend your money on one before you try it.

If you play G&L and say, "Wow, THIS is what I've been looking for", then you should buy one. You'll be connecting with a guitar that is different than a Fender. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Nothing is better than a great Fender when you want classic Fender tone and vibe.

So, there's no VS. here. :)

Ramblin Ray
June 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
The only thing I don't like about G & L's is that the headstock is too long. When I had one awhile back, it wouldn't fit in my Fender case and was really tight in my Levy's gig bag.

fezz parka
June 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The only difference between this and a "Fender" is the pickups and the 22 fret neck. If I put my pickups in it, it'd be Telecaster all the way:
http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds/data/9/large/DSC_00051.JPG

drf64
June 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I have a '82 S-500 and a new Legacy. Like them both, but the s-500 is an ingenious design. It's the quietest "strat" I've ever heard with single coils. Love the ASAT Specials, but I don't have one. yet. G&L started with guitars that Leo had been designing for 10 years. It was his own company, unlike Music Man, and the result was the best guitars he had made since the 50's with innovations that he didn't have time to introduce in the 60's. I'd take a comparable modern G&L over a Fender about 90% of the time, and I'd take an early to mid 80's G&L, for playability and tone, over any Fender I've ever played.

blargfromspace
June 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
They don't sound or feel even remotely like a Fender Custom Shop, so don't let that bit of internet fluffery about G&L's being as good as Fender CS, convince you to spend your money on one before you try it.

Nothing is better than a great Fender when you want classic Fender tone and vibe.

FWIW the neck on my ASAT is very similar to the neck on a CS '63 tele. It also resonates like a CS instrument. It's true they don't sound like a Fender CS. As far as workmanship goes though I think you would have a hard time finding evidence that the USA G&L guitars are not as good as a CS. I spent some with the two this week and considering that the CS had a price tag $4000 above the G&L I know where I'd put my money. Fender do make great guitars, I'm not dissing them at all here (I'd most likely be banned for that), and there is a reason that they command such brand loyalty but IMO the G&L represent better value for money.

The reason they don't sound like a tele is because of the pickups. Everything else about them is virtually identical - bridge, electronics (excl. pickups...), materials.

The Tribute series began production in Japan, then moved to Korea and is currently in Indonesia. I used to have a Japanese G&L L-2000 bass, that was nice, very good build quality. I haven't played the new Indonesian ones but I don't expect much. You'd probably be better off with a Japanese Fender.

PS. I love the fact that, generally, when G&L are compared to Fender its usually a Fender CS model:cool:

rhinocaster
June 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
FWIW the neck on my ASAT is very similar to the neck on a CS '63 tele. It also resonates like a CS instrument. It's true they don't sound like a Fender CS. As far as workmanship goes though I think you would have a hard time finding evidence that the USA G&L guitars are not as good as a CS. I spent some with the two this week and considering that the CS had a price tag $4000 above the G&L I know where I'd put my money. Fender do make great guitars, I'm not dissing them at all here (I'd most likely be banned for that), and there is a reason that they command such brand loyalty but IMO the G&L represent better value for money.

The reason they don't sound like a tele is because of the pickups. Everything else about them is virtually identical - bridge, electronics (excl. pickups...), materials.

The Tribute series began production in Japan, then moved to Korea and is currently in Indonesia. I used to have a Japanese G&L L-2000 bass, that was nice, very good build quality. I haven't played the new Indonesian ones but I don't expect much. You'd probably be better off with a Japanese Fender.

PS. I love the fact that, generally, when G&L are compared to Fender its usually a Fender CS model:cool:

G&L have a very loyal following. They should. They make wonderful instruments.

However, in my experience, they're no better built than Fender. I've owned 6 or 7 G&Ls of different vintages, and I don't even know how many Fenders. I worked at a vintage guitar store and I've had countless G&Ls and Fenders in my hands. There's nothing about G&L's offerings that has made me feel that they have any better construction than Fender. My last G&L (a new SC-2) was one of the worst built modern guitars I've purchased. The creaky, sloppy neck pocket should never have passed quality control.

I've also played G&Ls with Fender pickups in them. They don't end up sounding like a Fender any more than an Anderson or Suhr with a pickup change end up sounding like a Fender.

I honestly don't know where this G&L=Fender CS comes from. Totally different beasts with different approaches to a final product. :)

Okieactor
June 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I guess one "drawback" for me is that I can routinely find an American strat for 600-700 on CL, used. When you see a G&L, it's hard to find someone who will drop down that far, for an American one. In my experience of shopping for sweet used deals. Want to play more of them to experiment, though.

Okieactor
June 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Also, the S-500, is that made in America?

And does the dual fulcrum tremolo alow for trem stuff where you can pull back and raise the pitch? Or is it pretty much like the fender knife edge style?

drf64
June 5th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Also, the S-500, is that made in America?

And does the dual fulcrum tremolo alow for trem stuff where you can pull back and raise the pitch? Or is it pretty much like the fender knife edge style?

The S500 is USA made-unless it says "Tribute" then it is from Indonesia.

Yes, you can bend up with the dual fulcrum. I love that design. the Posts are huge. I have mine set up to ben up 1/2, 1, 1 1/2 steps on the E, B, and G strings respectively.

You need an S-500, preferably one from the early 90's or older. You will absolutely love it. Best 3 bolt neck ever made. Incredible neck.

dan

drf64
June 5th, 2010, 11:04 PM
RE: bending up, you can set up most Fender bridges to do the same, Standard and of course the 2 post Deluxe.

blargfromspace
June 5th, 2010, 11:09 PM
However, in my experience, they're no better built than Fender. I've owned 6 or 7 G&Ls of different vintages, and I don't even know how many Fenders. I worked at a vintage guitar store and I've had countless G&Ls and Fenders in my hands. There's nothing about G&L's offerings that has made me feel that they have any better construction than Fender. My last G&L (a new SC-2) was one of the worst built modern guitars I've purchased. The creaky, sloppy neck pocket should never have passed quality control.

I've also played G&Ls with Fender pickups in them. They don't end up sounding like a Fender any more than an Anderson or Suhr with a pickup change end up sounding like a Fender.

I honestly don't know where this G&L=Fender CS comes from. Totally different beasts with different approaches to a final product. :)

It's funny how people have different experiences with different brands. It really is down to personal preference, pure and simple. Maybe the G&L feel is just right (well, perfect) for me. I have been very fortunate with every US G&L I've ever played. I've purchased three sight unseen and they've all been great. Sounds like others have had the opposite experience.

I've had a few US Fenders in the past (I've sold them all) and none of the ones I end up with are ever any good. My dad, on the other hand, has one of the finest Strats (a US Deluxe) that I've ever had the pleasure of playing. A friend of mine has one of the nicest tele's (AVRI '60s) I've ever played. Perhaps I am cursed never to own a nice Fender guitar. Perhaps the guitar gods have set each of us our own path. It's fate maybe...

There's a saying in the wine world that "There are no great wines - only great bottles of wine". Perhaps the same is true of guitars.

boris bubbanov
June 5th, 2010, 11:23 PM
My 5 G + Ls are all from the mid 2000s and if Keef had used one of these to swat a guy off the stage, he'd have killed the guy. These things are substantial in a way a Fender guitar simply is not.

My take is that almost any G + L you'll find available will have 6000 sized frets and that's up at the far upper end of what I can handle competently.

I will also suggest it takes more time, patience and concentration to get the sounds you need or are looking for out of a G + L. Very, very versatile, they nonetheless command you to stay totally awake while playing them. There is no "automatic pilot" which you will find on any basic Fender Strat or Tele. Once you get some "settings" laid out, write them down and practice accessing them. Don't just plug in, twirl the knobs this way and that and expect the guitar to drive itself home because it won't.

drf64
June 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM
G&L Legacy and S-500 have the PTB, "passive treble and bass" control set up. I like it better than the stock strat tone controls. The MFD pickups are one of Leo's best inventions.

65flh5326
June 6th, 2010, 03:00 PM
boris said,"Don't just plug in, twirl the knobs this way and that and expect the guitar to drive itself home because it won't."

I have just one G&L, 87 Asat.
Found the same thing, have to set the amp controls special for it, seems very sensitive to that.

BluezyBruce
June 6th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Its probably the pickups and wire combination.

manc
June 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM
great guitars! i miss my asat classic!

Codinho
June 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I used to believe the G&L's were just better made Fenders, and perhaps that's true. But I've played quite a few, both tributes and American strats and teles and I have to say I've never really connected with them as a do a good fender. Like some have said already, the tone and feel are just different, perhaps not in a bad way, but the last too guitars I bought were Fenders after I had considered and tried out G&L's.

I think I also like Fenders because they're easier to tinker with and alter. Once you buy a G&L that's pretty much the guitar you're stuck with. Although, that being said, they're typically of good quality any way.

Anyway, when it comes to a tele or a strat, I'm still a Fender man all the way.

Now the ASAT special is a different story. Now that I have my strat and my tele, I would probably consider one of those next just because it's its own guitar and I have really nothing in Fender to compare it to. Plus they're freaking sweet!

thunder100
June 7th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hi

I own 3 Fenders(1 CS) and 2 G&L's
the recent one (No.2) is an ASAT Deluxe Semi Hollow

My Magonay Comanche is on par with my CS Stratocaster from playing and quality

So go and play-->youll fnd the one for you

And G&L(eo's) are Fenders too

Roland

Colo Springs E
June 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM

'Cept when it's me doing the comparing... I owned at least 8 or 9 or so US G&Ls. Most were good guitars, none were any better than the 20+ Mexican Fenders I've owned (standard, classic, and deluxe series)

I prefer Fenders over G&Ls based on extensive experience with both.

J-man
June 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
My experience with G&L is limited to their Tribute series, but they're fantastic guitars at any price (and that price just happens to be low), but I'm not a big fan of some of their aesthetic choices.

BigDaveyTwinkle
June 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Apples and oranges here, but I own a 2006 MIM Fender Strat and a 2009 Indonesia G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy. The fit and finish, and hardware are all much better on the G&L. That said, the Strat is the one that my wife says makes her want to get up and dance. Funny thing is the Strat now has a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 Vintage in the middle (the pursuit of quack) while the G&L was almost useless with factory pickups and is now sporting a new wiring harness and neck/bridge pickups (neck was too muddy and bridge too bright for my tastes). They are still both keepers in my book. The Mrs says the Strat has to stay.

drf64
June 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Apples and oranges here, but I own a 2006 MIM Fender Strat and a 2009 Indonesia G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy. The fit and finish, and hardware are all much better on the G&L. That said, the Strat is the one that my wife says makes her want to get up and dance. Funny thing is the Strat now has a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 Vintage in the middle (the pursuit of quack) while the G&L was almost useless with factory pickups and is now sporting a new wiring harness and neck/bridge pickups (neck was too muddy and bridge too bright for my tastes). They are still both keepers in my book. The Mrs says the Strat has to stay.

What did you replace the ASAT pups with? Rio Grande and Nordstrand are the only ASAT pup clones I know of.

dan

twangplank
June 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I've noticed there are used Fenders in every pawn shop in the US, but you hardly see any used G&Ls . Despite the difference in quantity that has to mean something.

The hands down best sounding tele style guitar I've ever had (and I've had A LOT!!!) was an ASAT special with the p90 type pups. If I ever see that guitar again I will sell crack if I have too to get it back. There is no comparison in the power and tone. It wasnt the best player ever but it was still a good playin axe. It was so powerful I didnt really need my PRS custom 24 at gigs. It had that great sparkle of a fender but it handled dirt like crazy

unchained
June 8th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Do you still have the bridge p/u?:wink:

blargfromspace
June 8th, 2010, 02:32 AM
What did you replace the ASAT pups with? Rio Grande and Nordstrand are the only ASAT pup clones I know of.

dan

The pickups in a Bluesboy are standard sized. One tele style single coil and one normal sized humbucker. As for the larger MFD pickups on the ASAT Special I believe that Rio Grande and Nordstrand are the only two companies making replacements

drf64
June 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
The pickups in a Bluesboy are standard sized. One tele style single coil and one normal sized humbucker. As for the larger MFD pickups on the ASAT Special I believe that Rio Grande and Nordstrand are the only two companies making replacements

Yes, I was thinking he was talking about the special. Thanks for the confirmation on that.

dan

Colo Springs E
June 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I've noticed there are used Fenders in every pawn shop in the US, but you hardly see any used G&Ls . Despite the difference in quantity that has to mean something.

No, it's because of the difference in quantity.

There are about a billion more Fenders on planet earth than G&Ls.

BigDaveyTwinkle
June 8th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I am now running a GFS Liverpool Retrotron in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Little 59 in the bridge of the G&L Bluesboy. The Tribute series Bluesboy is much more "balanced" now, without the extreme high-highs and low-lows. Message me and we can talk offline about the factory pickups.

guitarslinger92
June 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
in my opinion, fender is trying to express there newer ideas and technology through G&L. I think when people think fender they have a classic image of strats and teles, and fender wants to keep it that way.

highwayman
June 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I like Both my G&L Strat and my Fender Stat , does that make me a trader or a fence sitter? Whatever, I enjoy both guitars.As far as the quality? Good but so are my MIMs.

boris bubbanov
June 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM
No, it's because of the difference in quantity.

There are about a billion more Fenders on planet earth than G&Ls.

That's true. :grin:

Actually, I HAVE seen a decent number of G + Ls in pawnshops over the years, despite how few exist next to Fender. They just happened to be badly beat up ones generally with almost no fretwire left on them. Old war horses that have been used and used, the USA ones. And Korean made Tributes but none that made me wanna take a chance on them.

4string
June 9th, 2010, 12:15 AM
How can anyone give an opinion on comparing Leo Fender's creations? In all honesty, aren't they all great in their own unique ways?

Comparing Fender to G&L is, in many respects, like comparing a Tele to a Strat. One was designed first, and the other was designed later. You don't have to like one more than the other, it's OK to like both, and appreciate them for their uniqueness. Or you can stick with the familiarity of your favorite and shun the rest. "It's your thang. Do whatcha wanna do..."

If the subject is consistency of build quality, that's different. My vote goes to G&L hands-down.

J-man
June 9th, 2010, 12:27 AM
in my opinion, fender is trying to express there newer ideas and technology through G&L. I think when people think fender they have a classic image of strats and teles, and fender wants to keep it that way.

Fender (the company) don't own G&L. Leo Fender co-founded the company after he sold Fender to CBS in 1965.

Fender currently make a great deal of guitars that are most certainly modern.

http://fender.com/themes/products/images/prod_images/guitars/0134444780_md.jpg
http://fender.com/themes/products/images/prod_images/guitars/0262000520_md.jpg
http://fender.com/themes/products/images/prod_images/guitars/0114545706_md.jpg

stevedenver
June 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
so help me,

what is pre -bbs,?
and how would these be identified?

Jack Wells
June 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM
what is pre -bbs,?

Perhaps you mean BBE. Here's a little G&L history related to BBE Sound quoted from the G&L website.

Leo Fender passed away on a rainy day in March of 1991, an event which shook the Music World: The father of modern music was gone. It was on that very day that Leo had completed his last prototype instrument, after which he declared to his wife Phyllis that he had given all he can to the musicians of the world.

Before his passing, he wanted to be sure that the legacy of G&L would continue to shine even brighter in the future. He knew that he must look after the people of G&L, his family, so that they would reamin secure and free to continue building the finest guitars and basses in the world.

His wife Phyllis shared his dream, and she chose BBE Sound, under the leadership of Chairman John C. McLaren, to take over the management of G&L and to expand and develop it in the way Leo would have wanted. Leo had begun discussions several years before with John, who Leo respected greatly. Leo was confident that John could make Leo's dreams for G&L's future become reality and felt he could entrust John to continue his work with G&L, in which he took such great pride. John shares Leo's vision of G&L as a maker of superb hand crafted instruments.

The arrangements were made that the ownership would be transferred to John's company, BBE Sound. George Fullerton remains as a permanent consultant, and Leo's wife Phyllis remains as Honorary Chairman of G&L - reminders to the world that the spirit and integrity of Leo Fender will continue on in every instrument made at G&L.

Today, John C. McLaren, the Chairman of BBE Sound, continues to manage G&L, while his son John Jr. is Plant Manager of the G&L Factory. John Jr. always had a deep respect for Leo and visited him regularly at G&L during the 1980s while working at Fender Musical Instruments, back when Fender was located on nearby Valencia Avenue. John's other son, David, personally oversees marketing for G&L, and he too is dedicated to preserving the memory and rich history of Leo Fender.

Today the G&L factory continues production as Leo would have wanted. His private workshop, the epicenter of his creativity, remains untouched as it was on his last day and has been visited by music people from around the world. While G&L. The people of G&L, his people, continue to build the instruments with love, dedication and great skill. In preserving the uniqueness of G&L and respecting the vision of its founder, John C. McLaren said, "G&L will always be willing to make changes. Leo Fender was a symbol of change and evolution for the benefit of musicians. But for any change that is considered, we must first ask ourselves, 'Would Leo have wanted it this way?' If yes, then we do it. If not, then we will not. We always want to feel that Leo Fender would be proud of today's G&L."

Fender (the company) don't own G&L. Leo Fender co-founded the company after he sold Fender to CBS in 1965.

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, G&L was founded many years after Leo sold Fender......... in 1980 to be exact.

Joerg
June 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM
G&Ls probabably have the ugliest headstocks in guitar history.

Joerg
June 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I meant "probably". Sorry.

E5RSY
June 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Yep! It may be shallow, but aesthetics are important to me, as well as sound.

rfrazelle
June 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I remember seeing an add for G&L many years ago, on the bottom of the add they had printed in small lettering that "G&L were in no way related or affiliated Leo Fender or Fender Musical Instruments"....I just noticed a few weeks ago that when you by a G&L you get a "letter of authenticity" signed by Phyllis and reads with all types of tie-ins to Fender and Leo Fender.

So what is the deal? Does G&L want to stand on their own and pretend that Leo wasn't involved or do they want to sell instruments and keep a tie to the legacy of Leo?? Or is Fender Musical Insrumnets lawers involved in what G&L can or can't say about Fender and Leo.

That blurb from G&L's website was one of the most sorry, fluffy, sentimental, sugar-coated, not-very-well-disguised piece of sales rhetoric I have come a cross in awhile.

I don't get it. Since we are in the "tree of trust", I have to be honest, G&L bugs the poop out of me. I don't know why, but they do. Sorry.

By the way, I live a mere 5 miles from G&L and would love to go see "Leo's workshop" all "untouched" from that "rainy day in March"....do you think they would let me???

I didn't think so. :twisted:

J-man
June 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I remember seeing an add for G&L many years ago, on the bottom of the add they had printed in small lettering that "G&L were in no way related or affiliated Leo Fender or Fender Musical Instruments"....I just noticed a few weeks ago that when you by a G&L you get a "letter of authenticity" signed by Phyllis and reads with all types of tie-ins to Fender and Leo Fender.

So what is the deal? Does G&L want to stand on their own and pretend that Leo wasn't involved or do they want to sell instruments and keep a tie to the legacy of Leo?? Or is Fender Musical Insrumnets lawers involved in what G&L can or can't say about Fender and Leo.

That blurb from G&L's website was one of the most sorry, fluffy, sentimental, sugar-coated, not-very-well-disguised piece of sales rhetoric I have come a cross in awhile.

I don't get it. Since we are in the "tree of trust", I have to be honest, G&L bugs the poop out of me. I don't know why, but they do. Sorry.

By the way, I live a mere 5 miles from G&L and would love to go see "Leo's workshop" all "untouched" from that "rainy day in March"....do you think they would let me???

The guitars are excellent, does the rest matter?

drf64
June 9th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I remember seeing an add for G&L many years ago, on the bottom of the add they had printed in small lettering that "G&L were in no way related or affiliated Leo Fender or Fender Musical Instruments".... :twisted:

Are you sure it wasn't Music Man? MM sold Leo designed instruments but was a seperate entity. G&L was never affiliated with FMIC, but Leo was the co-founder. They would have never claimed no affiliation with him.

rfrazelle
June 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Music Man? MM sold Leo designed instruments but was a seperate entity. G&L was never affiliated with FMIC, but Leo was the co-founder. They would have never claimed no affiliation with him.

Now that I think of it, It was for sure a G&L ad, but it may have said that they were not "affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments" and not Leo Fender. That WOULD make more sense. My mistake.

rfrazelle
June 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
The guitars are excellent, does the rest matter?

Not really, but the two pages of posts prior to mine say otherwise...:smile:

fezz parka
June 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM

I did. And Dale Hyatt gave me the tour.:wink:

rfrazelle
June 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Lucky!

Jack Wells
June 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM

I guess ugly is in the eye of the beholder but there are many uglier to these eyes .............. Valley Arts, Fender Big Goofy Strat, Tom Anderson, GFS, the new SX .......... many more. I'll try to think of some.

drf64
June 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I like every Fender strat and tele headstock there has ever been. I have also never seen a G&L headstock that I didn't like. Even the sickles.

dan

thunder100
July 4th, 2010, 05:27 AM
if I get gas my next guitar would be a G&L tele. i know this is blasphemy, but i'm kind of good for now on guitars (2 melancon strats, 1 high end tele project guitar and one squire tele I can take to the more dicey clubs, and an acoustic when it calls for it). there has been some negative talk about Gibson owning them, but the above poster says BBE? oh well, suffice it to say I see a lot of threads on Fender vs. G&L but I don't recall seeing a thread saying someone hated their G&L.

For me was a different road but same direction

+30 yerars(bigger breaks) of playing-->almost exlusively Stratocaster,all trys with Tele's (also Gibby's) in vain

On my Strat's then I bought the Comanche--> a real ringer

As I started to really explore Tele's 3 years ago and started to like and(somewhat) to master them (still I find Tele's much less forgiving then Strat's) after Fender-->Squier--> Xavier-->Benford(HH coil split)--> I had to be a G&L ASAT as (for me) this is toprange

Roland

Doug 54
July 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Just like ANY electric, for me, I gotta play it in person.
G&L's construction, QC is across the board better, more consistent than Fenders in the same $$ range.

If it is the fatter 12" neck, and it isn't too trebly (as some G&L's have been to me) then it is a keeper

20000 Roads
July 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Comparing G&L and Fender guitars, one simply cannot be "better" than the other without further specification. Things like guitars aren't "good" or "better" by themselves; they have to be "good" or "better" for some specific purpose. Better for making music? What kind? It's going to come down to the sound and feel you are looking for. We can talk about what's better for achieving that sound and feel, but then it's going to be intersubjective at best.

Bracketing all of that, let me just say that Fender guitars are better!

Humbuster
July 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I have owned several G&Ls (Legacy and ASATs).
They are fine guitars.

However, I prefer Fenders which is why I currently own 2 Thin Skins and no G&Ls.

stratman323
July 4th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Leo's hearing was going towards the end of his life & he couldn't hear treble as well as he used to. So he kept trying to improve the sound of his earlier pickups, though not many people would agree that he succeeded.

I am as big a fan of Leo's early work as anyone else & have huge respect for him. But did he really design anything decent after the Jazz Bass? He made loads of "improvements" to his classic designs, but how many of these were actually improvements?

A Jaguar was supposed to be an improvement on a Strat, but anyone who has played both knows better than to believe that! Is a G&L better in any real way than an a '52 Tele or a '57 Strat?