$vboptions[bbtitle]

Warmoth Tele Body with strat Pups/trem

RezZ
June 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM
I am going to be ordering a Warmoth Tele body with a neck humbucker, strat middle, and a tele bridge. I plan on also having them route a strat style tremelo bridge. I have two questions about how this will work.

1. They give the option of having strat style controls and switch's which seems much better for a 3 pickup setup. Do you recommend that instead of the typical tele control setup?

2. As I have never mixed Humbucker and 2 single together will I be able to have my local shop install the electronics/pickups without to much trouble?

ddhr
June 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
ResZ, that sounds like a cool project. Here are my thoughts:

The nice thing about the strat control set up is that you can mix pots/caps for the single coils and humbuckers. I've heard different opinions as to how much difference it makes, so that is up to you. You can go out and find Teles with a neck humbucker and see how you like the sound and look up the schematic to see what Fender used. There are a lot of choices.

Something else to think about is pickup combinations. I just put together a strat with a TV Jones Classic in the bridge (with strat neck and middle pups). I wanted the neck/bridge tone on a 5-way switch (along with the N/M and M/B 'quackish sounds') and a tone control on the bridge. I used a Fender superswitch (Stew Mac offers them as well) and it works great for alternative wiring. Obligatory picture:

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/Parts_strat.jpg

I have found that the key is to talk to the tech doing the work for you and make sure they understand what you want. The guy I used offered to switch out pots/caps if I was not satisfied.

I hope this helps some. Be sure to keep us up to date on the project and have fun!

Doug