$vboptions[bbtitle]

Roy Buchanan sitting in with Roy Nichols and Merle Haggard

tele salivas
May 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Here's an old sienna film that has Roy Buchanan sitting in with Merle Haggard and Roy Nichols! Roy Nichols, you always here about him cutting up in the back line, ususally while Merle was singing! Here they are, the two Roys:

oaEFqOIMad4

johnnylaw
May 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM
This is too cool! Thanks for sharing the find.

Robsocal
May 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
That's a great find! "Roy 'n Roy."

brokenjoe
May 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
WOW!!! what can I say? The solo RB lays down in the first tune is one of the best I've ever heard him play!!

Thanx a lot for posting that.

tgfmike
May 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I think Wow just about sums it up.

Buckocaster51
May 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
That's slick.

I wonder where it was...

Telemarkman
May 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
It's from the PBS Special "documentary" from 1971 called "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist".

I advice you guys to contact TDPRI member Bob Davis for a copy of the DVD. Even if it may be questionable as a documentary, it's a gem!

Thanks for posting it! :cool:

Rich H
May 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
fantastic clip!

Mark Davis
May 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
That's slick.

I wonder where it was...

That was from a club in Ridgecrest Calif a few miles from Bakersfield. As Telemarkman said was part of the PBS special. Merle was one of the people responsable for Roy getting discovered.

fezz parka
May 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
As Telemarkman sez, get that PBS special. I have it on VHS, and it's really great. Well, everything except the part where Nils Lofgren wanks all over the place. Whatta tool.

Telemarkman
May 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Well, everything except the part where Nils Lofgren wanks all over the place.

:lol:

Luckily the Lofgren part is at the end, so I always click the stop button when he starts wanking :wink: ...

LarryM
May 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting that. I saw Roy in a small club in Cambridge - silver face vibrolux, 3 bolt/ silver bullet strat - Totally Killed!

firewire
May 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
thank you, thank you, thank you...

That footage is a gazillion years old, but it's still way cool...

Roy squared....

Ramblin Ray
May 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
So nice to see and hear the real deal.

Telehackster
May 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM
As Telemarkman sez, get that PBS special. I have it on VHS, and it's really great. Well, everything except the part where Nils Lofgren wanks all over the place. Whatta tool.

I think that part is kind of funny. Nils was--what?--19 or 20 at the time and clearly excited to be there. Roy seemed amused by it. And, hey, Nils has learned a bit more about being a sideman since then.

Mark Davis
May 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I think that part is kind of funny. Nils was--what?--19 or 20 at the time and clearly excited to be there. Roy seemed amused by it. And, hey, Nils has learned a bit more about being a sideman since then.

Nils Lofgren (born Nils Hilmer Lofgren, June 21, 1951.

Ya he was 20 when that PBS special was filmed. He was the king of overplaying on that clip.

Back then Nils also kept a 3ft trampoline behind the gear and he would jump on it and do a backflip.

tele salivas
May 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I'm just happy to hear there is more footage...the sound quality is pretty cool, very raw..the teles come through just fine...I love that old highway footage as well, so many miles ago....

Mark Davis
May 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
It was fun to see Roy N laugh when Roy B did that huge pinch harmonic in that lead. He was having fun.

Al Watsky
May 9th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Fun.
I love Merle Haggard.
There's a few Merle concert films out that are a blast to play along with.
All those classic progressions and tasty grooves.
Not to mention those classy licks.
Has anyone found the RB doc. on netflicks or youtube ?

Telemarkman
May 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
It was fun to see Roy N laugh when Roy B did that huge pinch harmonic in that lead. He was having fun.

I've read that Roy N once asked Roy B how he made "them bird sounds" ... Hee, hee!

Mark Davis
May 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Fun.
I love Merle Haggard.

The Roy B doc is on youtube but its all chopped up into sevceral pieces.

Caffeine Patrol
May 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Fun.
I love Merle Haggard.

I've written to the PBS station that originally produced the documentary, and they have not released it and do not seem to have any interest in doing so. Maybe if enough people write, they'll get on that thing.

etarney
May 9th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Roy Buchanan was the first concert I ever went to see, in my striped polyester pants & fisherman sweater, in about 1974 or so - the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh. Didn't know a telecaster from a teleporter back then, just loved listening to my Roy Buchanan records.

stinkey
May 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Really great!! Good guitars and one of my favorite voices.

Josh Davis
May 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I thought Roy B. sounded wrong for the music. What was with the squeel harmonics? I'd have fired a guy over that.

Poppatwang
May 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I thought Roy B. sounded wrong for the music. What was with the squeel harmonics? I'd have fired a guy over that.

I'd a given him a bonus.

JayDee
May 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I thought Roy B. sounded wrong for the music.
I wondered if anyone else was thinking that? Great player for sure. I just didn't care much for the guitar from any of them in that clip. I enjoyed Merle's voice though. Different strokes and such.......

CLAZ
May 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM
CoolVid!

Both Roy's are and always will be fantastic in my book! .... Whats really great to me is Merle sangin' some Lefty!!! :cool:

tele salivas
May 12th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Yeah, Merle used to sing the hell out of some Lefty...that jam just seemed like a nice loose get together and giving a chance for Roy B to integrate his style with what he notably said was one of his big influences...Roy Nichols attitude just spreads all over that stage like molasses, even when he's not playing...such a bad a$$....

boneyguy
May 12th, 2010, 02:07 AM
The thing that always strikes me when I see Roy B. in these videos is how uncomfortable he seems in his own skin. He always had that 'whipped puppy' energy about him. He was a tortured soul I think. I know his music gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure but when I think of him I just see an unhappy, unbalanced person.

I watched the Roy B. doc quite a while back on YouTube and there's a lot of clues in there about the source of his state of mind.

elihu
May 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I just didn't care much for the guitar from any of them in that clip. I enjoyed Merle's voice though. Different strokes and such.......

What about that cool jazzy little ascending lick from Roy N. at the end of
"I love you a thousand ways"? Totally agree about Merle's voice.

tele salivas
May 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
oaEFqOIMad4

I really like the opening harmony lines the Roys play at 2:13..and Norm's steel sounds as good as ever...Roy Nichols played with Lefty for a spill(sic)...I don't think he cared much for the gig itself, but damn...Roy has played with some great singers...and I repeat, what a bad A$$...

Codinho
May 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
That just makes me want to play more.

chillman
May 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I wish I could get my beard to flip out like Roy B's did.