$vboptions[bbtitle]

Can't decide on Esquire pickup

stranded horse
April 5th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I just can't decide which pickup to put into my Esquire. I don't even know yet if I want a traditional single coil or a single-sized/stacked humbucker.
It's an alder body with a one piece maple neck.
I'm not a country player! But I still want a nice clean sound, but without too much twang. But also a good sound with a wee bit drive and it should work nicely with all kinds of effects.

Some pickups I have floating around in my mind:
SD BG-1400 (stacked humbucker)
SD Broadcaster
DMZ Area Hot T
Fender Nocaster
Leosounds Mudcat (http://www.leosounds.de/tele_mudcat_en.html)

I don't want a pickup that is just too punchy at treble to use it for rythm work.
I mainly play blues and some rock/funk.
So I think a stacked humbucker might be the right for me, but I haven't tried one yet, so I can't say for sure

Bensen
April 5th, 2010, 05:41 AM
The mudcat fits your description perfectly. Have one in my tele and love it. There is some twang but with a little vol&tonepot work you get great rock, blues ... sounds out of it. I put a 500k volpot and a noload tonepot in my tele to brighten things up for a more traditional telesound only louder. if you go 250k you should get a nice p90ish growl. And since you live in Germany give Michael a call (or mail) and support your Landsmann.
Cheers

bluebilly
April 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Don't get the SD broadcaster! I've got one and it's a TWANG MONSTER! (I love it)

stranded horse
April 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
But the Fender Nocaster or SD Broadcaster would get me closest to this sound (which I'm digging too by the way), right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STVcZtiMDCk

jetagegreg
April 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Wilde (Bill Lawrence) L-290TL. His version of a Nocaster, I believe. And maybe a Q-filter.

My 2 cents,
-GB

ZZB3
April 5th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I have a SD Broadcaster as well and love it too. I play in a blues band but alas my tele is not an Esquire. I have a strat neckpup in there as well. Have fun, Wayne

Dan German
April 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I don't know how it would work with a stacked humbucker, but I have a rail humbucker (GFS Li'l Puncher XL) in my partsquire, with a 3 way wired for series/single/parallel, and I like the variety of sounds I can get.

guitardedzen
April 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm building a blackguard esquire right now and I went with a custom shop '51 Nocaster pickup going for the same sounds that you're looking for. Would have to recommend that for.

MrDJoers
April 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Try a Fralin Blues Special. Twangy but not very bright. Very articulate and clear sounding imo.

OuttaspaceMan
April 5th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm building a blackguard esquire right now and I went with a custom shop '51 Nocaster pickup going for the same sounds that you're looking for. Would have to recommend that for.

+1 on the Nocaster

I'm no pickup expert but within my experience and among your options, I have both the Nocaster and Broadcaster. Both are great pickups, and IMHO works well for an esquire. To my ears, the Nocaster has more muscle, is more honky sounding with a darker twang as compared to the Broadcaster. Currently, the Nocaster is in my custom esquire. The Broadcaster also has that midrange bite but with a tad bit more twang; yet still not ice-pick sounding. Both still have that distinct Telecaster sound plus heavenly creamy when overdriven. Truthfully, I think you won't go wrong with either; it just boils down to your personal preference in the end =)