$vboptions[bbtitle]

My amp died please help

home_brew
March 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
So I've known for a while I need to change out my tubes but I haven't had the cash so I've been putting it off. Yesterday as I was playing the amp just died the volume faded and the jewel light went out and both channels make no sound. The amp is a fender prosonic so it has a rectifier and power tubes. I'm just wondering which tubes caused it to die. Is there any easy way to tell if it's the preamp, power or rectifier?

68thinline
March 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Check your fuse.

thecount
March 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hey Home Brew, that really sucks. +1 on the fuse. If the jewel faded out then chances are it is the fuse. I don't really know much abou the Pro Sonic but the jewel light generally runs off the power transformer's heater taps (approx 6.3v) and is a good indicator that either your fuse or transformer is shot. Try the fuse first (very simple) and we'll go from there.

Papa Joe
March 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Yes check the fuse,If blown, pull all the tubes and replace the fuse with the CORRECT one.Then if the power light stays on start replacing the tubes one at a time,starting with the preamps.The bad tube,if there is one, will blow the fuse.If the new fuse blows before replacing the tubes take it to a tech.

home_brew
March 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM
If the fuse blows will it make a popping sound or some audible noise? I was just playing then the volume slowly faded.

home_brew
March 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. So I should relpace the fuse and start with the preamp tubes? Ok this kind of what I thought from reading about it. Is the fuse a radio shack kind of part?

stantheman
March 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Sounds like either The Fuse or The Rectifier.
The Prosonics come with a S/S Rectifier too if I remember correctly and all You should have to do is switch to S/S - if it still doesn't power up - it's the fuse.
Unless something catastrophic has happened.