$vboptions[bbtitle]

Which book or program for learning fretboard theory?

jrich99
March 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
I have reached a plateau in my guitar playing, primarilly because I want to start songwriting and improvising but I don't understand the fretboard in relation to music theory well enough. I can play along with a bunch of songs, but I would like to create my own songs and solos. If you could recommend just one book or system for learning guitar music theory and guitar fretboard theory, what would it be?

I don't have a lot of knowledge, but I am not a total beginner. I would like a program that has lots of information available, but is not too complex to the point that it would be tought to discipline myself well enough to stick to. What book or DVD should I be looking at?

octatonic
March 21st, 2010, 09:09 PM
Howard Roberts Guitar Compendium is probably the best book for intermediate to advanced players to get to grips with imho.

jaybeemusic
March 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
How to write songs on the guitar - Rikky Rooksby

This book is really good for helping you understand music theory as it applies to songwriting. I use it with my students all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Write-Songs-Guitar-Guitar-Playing/dp/0879306114

hope this helps.

jacques

jrich99
March 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the input. I will definitely buy the "How to Write Songs on Guitar" book, as it sounds like a great deal. The Howard Roberts Guitar Compendium looks great, but I am not sure I am ready to spend that kind of money without more information on it.

Chris S.
March 21st, 2010, 11:31 PM
The most comprehensive method I've seen is the Modern Method for Guitar series (Vols. 1, 2 & 3) by William G. Leavitt, available through Amazon or Berklee Press. It may be more than you're looking for, but it will definitely give you a solid, logical approach to fretboard theory. Hope it helps, CS

jrich99
March 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks, Chris. I'll definitely check that out.

ldnelson
March 21st, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have used a book that may be helpful, it was for me. It's called "fingerboard Theory for Guitar: A Music Theory Text for Guitarists" by Mike Christiansen

jrich99
March 22nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
Thank you. I will also look at that one.

Budda
March 22nd, 2010, 03:24 AM
Here's some good stuff. Very hands on and practical.

http://guitar411.com/p_diatonic.html